Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Default YOGA: December 2009

OK, so this is an experiment I thought it would be lovely to have a place to talk about yoga in lots of different ways, all in one place.
  • Use the thread for tracking or accountability of your practice(s)
  • Discuss styles or videos
  • Ask questions about poses
  • Talk about meditation, pranayama, Ayurveda, the Yoga Sutra, whatever you want
  • Discuss taking yoga off the mat
  • Tell us your background in yoga (or not, if you don't feel like it)
  • Tell us what you love about yoga, and what you struggle with
  • Recommend and discuss books

And any other yoga-related topic or use you can think of!

I don't think a little general chatter should be a problem, but let's talk yoga

So, I'll start.

I started yoga back in April 2008 when I started losing weight. Wow, was I in terrible shape, weak and tight. Per my usual, instead of taking a class I just researched the heck out of it and came up with my own sequence. I practiced pretty much every single morning at 5:15 for an hour to an hour and a half. I don't have to tell you all, great things came from that .

In the fall, I started running M-W-F mornings, so I did a shorter yoga on those days, but kept it up. Running probably made me a little tighter, but I still kept progressing.

I loved the muscles I got, I loved the flexibility, I loved the practice itself. And still somehow I got off track this summer and didn't practice. So now I'm coming back to it. I need my yoga.

I'd love to take classes, and I'm sure I need them. But, well, $$$, ya know?

But, I just discovered YogaGlo, and I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying letting someone else tell me what to do! It's a studio that streams their classes for $18 a month. Right now I'm using their 15-day free trial. Lots of variety to choose from.

The two I've done so far were yin yoga, which I've never done. The first was really easy. Too easy. The second was perfect. Dang, holding a forward bend in Easy Pose for 3-5 minutes each side is NOT for sissies
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #2  

Default Qod

I don't know if I'll manage this every day, but I thought I'd post a quote for the day.

This is a little long (and no where near quoted in its entirey) but meant a lot to me:

"Our teacher urged us to listen to our bodies. I thought, 'Are you kidding? Listen to my body? This body cannot possibly be trusted.' The thought surprised me ... I had accomplished something many would consider extraordinary: I lost 85 pounds ... I realized with great sadness, I still hated my body. It looked fine. But I hated it because I couldn't trust it - or myself ... When I ran into people whom I hadn't seen in a long time, they'd ask, 'Don't you feel great?' I'd always say yes; it seemed impolite to be more honest and say, 'I wake up each morning to a person I don't really recognize in the mirror, living an unfamiliar life ... The next step, I realized, was that I needed to admit to myself how those changes really felt - not how I thought they should feel ... until I dropped my anger [at herself about her obesity], I'd never trust myself ... I could choose to stop, listen to my true reactions to the very real changes in my life, and trust myself again."

"We stood in Mountain Pose, hands in prayer position, and I found myself thinking, 'I forgive you.' I folded into a forward bend. "Let the suffering, anger, and pain roll off your back.'"

Excerpted from "Lightness of Being," by Alison Stein Wellner, in Yoga Journal, October 2009.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 12-11-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #3  

Default yoga & insomnia?

So I've practiced three evenings in a row, which feels great. My next challenge is to get back into the habit of early morning yoga, because that really makes me feel great.

I was beginning to think the yoga, even yin yoga, in the evening was giving me insomnia, but finally last night I slept better than I have in a while.

What time of day do you practice? Does yoga in general, or particular styles, give you insomnia?
Old 12-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #4  
Queen of Rationalization

S/C/G: 260/257/135

Height: 5'3

Well I started four days ago.

I've always been fascinated with the idea of doing yoga, and periodically I would try to do yoga but I never lasted for much longer than a few days.

Now I really need consistency and the relaxation that yoga can give since I super stressed about my life.

Right now my biggest goal is to last for longer than a minute in downward dog...
c_laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:54 PM   #5  
Workin' It

I've been doing yoga somewhat hit or miss for several months now. I've been doing videos from Exercise TV on demand, but they have pulled most of those off. Lately I've discovered podcasts, which I love. I'm trying to get into the habit of some power yoga 3 times per week, would like to get into the habit o some short pm poses every night. Don't think that will happen any time soon, but I can hope.

I've been doing a lot of hip openers lately. I also run, and can feel the tightness. I have always had right hips and hams, have never been able to touch my toes. Running intensifes the tight, yoga helps stretch it out.

More later - at the ER with my MIL and she just woke up.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:15 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_laura View Post
Now I really need consistency and the relaxation that yoga can give since I super stressed about my life.
I think the consistency makes a big difference, even if the duration of each session isn't long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_laura View Post
Right now my biggest goal is to last for longer than a minute in downward dog...
I don't think I could do it more than a few seconds at first, I was a mess. It took a long time for me before it didn't feel like major work. Sounds like you're not quite that bad. At some point, it definitely became one of my feel-good poses, but not at first! I can bring my heels to the floor - where I have more trouble is in the shoulder flexibility.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #7  

So many stressors for you Shannon Here's wishing no more ERs in your near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I've been doing a lot of hip openers lately. I also run, and can feel the tightness. I have always had right hips and hams, have never been able to touch my toes. Running intensifes the tight, yoga helps stretch it out.
My hams are fairly limber (now), but hips are one of my bugaboos. I'm having hip pain with twists when the hip is fully flexed.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 150, 150, 130

I've been doing yoga 3-4 times a week at my local gym since august. I'm much more flexible than when I started and I think I've even started to build some upper arm strength.

I'm glad my gym offers a decent variety of yoga classes. I looked into joining a traditional yoga studio but they are so expensive and I've never been good at exercising on my own.
guinea pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

Hey ladies!!

I just started getting really into yoga -- I've done it intermittently for a few years, but in a recent interest in my own sense of peace and inner strength/positivity I have started taking my practice more seriously.

I'm up to 5 classes in the past week and have a good deal of strength/flexibility from other workout stuff (pilates, cardio, dance) , but I'm really nervous about moving into more challenging classes (especially since I'm still a "bigger" girl at a size 14-16).

Any thoughts on moving up in difficulty?
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinea pig View Post
I looked into joining a traditional yoga studio but they are so expensive and I've never been good at exercising on my own.
Hi
I know, isn't that a bummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsnsmarts View Post
, but I'm really nervous about moving into more challenging classes (especially since I'm still a "bigger" girl at a size 14-16).Any thoughts on moving up in difficulty?
I say just go for it if you're ready. Maybe you could talk to your teacher briefly after class for a bit of advice?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Julie -- thats a really good idea.... I have no idea why I never thought of that, haha!

I've been going to slower-flow classes, and know that I will get more physical benefit out of a faster-flow class. I think you're right, I just need to go and see what happens!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 260/200/170

Hi Ladies!

I've only started doing yoga at the begining of this month. I bought The Biggest Loser Weightloss Yoga! I wanted to get into to help with my stress and flexability(I am NOTORIOUSLY inflexable). It's wonderful for beginners. Level 2 has what Bob calls Yoga/Pilates/Abs and oh man are my abs hurting after!

It has helped with my flexability.
Violin Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #13  
Busy Mom

S/C/G: 132/132/120

Height: 5'3"

I really am wanting to start doing Yoga. It has been by new found passion in exercising. I love how it makes me feel after I'm done and it's challenging too. I only have a couple of DVD's though. I'm glad this thread is here. Is there another board or place around here for fellow yoga doers?
ammelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #14  

Hi guys and

People start various threads asking questions about yoga, but 3FC doesn't have any subforum for it.

I haven't been consistent lately I'm planning to get up early and do a real thorough practice, try to get back in the swing of things
Old 12-20-2009, 06:55 PM   #15  
Busy Mom

S/C/G: 132/132/120

Height: 5'3"

Thanks Julie. Too bad it doesn't, but oh well. I want to go get a new DVD. I like the sounds of the Biggest Loser Weightloss Yoga. Most of the reviews said it was good. Well see. For only $10 it's worth a try. The funny thing is when I was in high school and worked out at home a lot of what I did was yoga only I didn't know that's what I was doing.
ammelum is offline   Reply With Quote