Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #1  
:3

S/C/G: 160/149/145

Default Bellydancing! :3

I've been meaning to buy a step for some step aerobics, but until I can get to Walmart, I've been using some Bellydance DVDs to kind of get me started~ I have the "Fitness for Beginners" one, by Veena and Neena. It's a good, not-too-hard exercise DVD, but I have some complaints. Namely, they seem to assume too much! Not everyone knows how to do a hip drop or a belly roll. I still can't get mine to look like theirs. =<

So who else does bellydance for fitness? What DVDs would you recommend for a beginner? =3 I love to do it, it really works those muscles, but I'm always afraid I'm not doing it right...
Oshaberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/150/150/140

Height: 5'9"

Oshaberi

If you get a chance, join a bellydancing troupe, or take some lessons in a group. There is nothing more wonderful than belly dancing with a group of women. The most gorgeous dancer I've ever seen was a very large woman, many many rolls around her midsection. But when she danced, it was amazing. She could balance a sword on her head and make her body do things I only wish mine could do.

The DVD's I have are from Fat Chance Belly dance. Check them out if you get a chance.
Suzyszoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #3  
:3

S/C/G: 160/149/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzyszoo View Post
Oshaberi

If you get a chance, join a bellydancing troupe, or take some lessons in a group. There is nothing more wonderful than belly dancing with a group of women. The most gorgeous dancer I've ever seen was a very large woman, many many rolls around her midsection. But when she danced, it was amazing. She could balance a sword on her head and make her body do things I only wish mine could do.

The DVD's I have are from Fat Chance Belly dance. Check them out if you get a chance.
Ooh, I'd love to do a class! Unfortunately the only lessons near me are at the nearby college, which is out of the way us. =( But if I get my own car, I would love to check them out.
And about that woman, that's why I love bellydancing! =3 Anyone can feel great and look beautiful doing it.

I actually think I have a Fat Chance DVD laying around somewhere, although it was more of a sample DVD that came with a book. I'll check out some of their other ones! Thanks! =)
Oshaberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

I have always wanted to take a belly dancing class. I am trying to talk my daughter into taking one with me but she is refusing. I just am not sure my body can actually do some of the moves...I am not very coordinated lol
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/150/150/140

Height: 5'9"

The hardest part for me, was just being able to "let it all jiggle". Shimmies and such are still a little difficult, just because I'm conscious of my behind shaking like that.

But the beauty of belly dancing with other women, is you start to move as one, and it's a glorious feeling. You don't have to dress the part, but you can if you like. A hip scarf with jingly coins on it helps, just because you can hear the little jingles. The zils are my absolute favorite!

It does take some time and practice to get each move right. But it's my preferred type of dance.

Suzyszoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #6  

It's funny that you mentioned this because I was just looking up bellydancing videos yesterday. I found the Neena and Eena videos on youtube, and I'm thinking of doing those.
Veronica133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/280/170

Height: 5.8

me and my sister was thinking of taking some classes. It is suppose to be an alternative form of aerobics with less impact. sometimes the ol' joints has a hard time with regular cardio.
horrorchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 372/224/186

Height: 5'7

I love bellydancing, I have gotten out of the habit of doing it but when I did my arms were so toned I was wowed.
Moxie574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 221/Ticker/165

Height: 5' 8"

I currently take bellydancing lessons and I absolutely love it..It is a hard workout for those that think it is just dancing around, LOL, you really do have to have some strong ab muscles..I look forward to each class and am in my 3rd beginners class, didn't want to move to intermediate till I get the moves down, but my instructor says I am ready. Tried one night of intermediate and amazed myself at how well I kept up and I remembered all the veil moves we learned in beginners class, surprise, surprise. So next round I will be in the intermediates..................yayyyyyy
thenewjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

I took a Middle Eastern Dance class in college in which we learned to belly dance. It is easy to learn with practice, but is a great workout. Anyone can do it, and you feel sexy doing it!

Last edited by fatferretfanatic; 03-15-2011 at 03:03 PM.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 221/Ticker/165

Height: 5' 8"

You certainly do feel like your a seductress....LOL it really makes you want to learn more and be able to move like some of the professionals out there. Although I imagine you would have to have been doing it for quite some time before that happens..........I am so looking forward to being able to shimmy my way around a stage with all the costumes and jewelry....makes you feel so fantastic.
thenewjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 223/SeeTicker/135

Height: 5'5"

Has anyone come across good DVDs that teach bellydancing?

I bought two that are called Goddess Workout with Dolphina but it doesn't seem authentic. Is this what you generally get when you go DVD route?
Kateryna is offline   Reply With Quote