Old 12-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default Chickies... I need new goals!

When I started here at 3FC, I put a bunch of goals down.

The ULTIMATE goal, the farthest I could imagine going, was to be below 230, meaning below my lowest ever weight since I got obese 19 years ago.

This morning, I stepped on the scale and it read 228. I blasted right through that barrier.

Now, I just realized that I need new mini-goals.

It's just so weird. I never really weighed between the 170s and the 230s... I went straight from 170 to 230 with my first pregnancy and then on up from there.

Dare I put ONDERLAND as my NEXT GOAL????

Last edited by ubergirl; 12-11-2009 at 02:14 PM.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #2  
Meg

Onederland is an exciting goal, but it's still a way away. How about something a bit smaller and more manageable, like the 2-teens? I always set my goals in small chunks, like five or ten pound increments -- or not even weight-related (like doing a pullup) -- because I needed to be able to achieve the goal is a reasonable amount of time to stay motivated. Kind of that immediate gratification thing.

So maybe think a bit smaller? And can you think of any non-weight goals you'd like to achieve, like fitness goals?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #3  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Onederland is a GREAT next goal! It's mine too
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #4  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I'd say these:

220 (75 pounds lost)
210's
200's
Onederland
No longer obese (for you, 196)
195: 100 pounds lost

And I like Meg's ideas for non-scale related milestones too!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #5  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I think onederland would be great for your next big goal, but you should have mini goals in between now and then. I'm also big on the nonscale goals. My big nonscale goal right now is to be able to pass the air force fitness test so some of my mini nonscale goals are to be able to run a mile nonstop, to increase the number of military style pushups I can do, etc. I think it is important to break down both the scale goals and the nonscale goals into smaller steps.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Onederland is an exciting goal, but it's still a way away. How about something a bit smaller and more manageable, like the 2-teens? I always set my goals in small chunks, like five or ten pound increments -- or not even weight-related (like doing a pullup) -- because I needed to be able to achieve the goal is a reasonable amount of time to stay motivated. Kind of that immediate gratification thing.

So maybe think a bit smaller? And can you think of any non-weight goals you'd like to achieve, like fitness goals?
Yeah... I think you're right... I like achievable goals...

I hadn't really thought about non-weight goals, like fitness goals. I'm really competitive, and so lap swim by time spent rather than actual number of laps... otherwise I have a tendency to drive myself to constantly up the ante and I start to burn out.

On the other hand, fitness goals might be interesting. I've been procrastinating about incorporating weight training into my routine for several months. I want to sign up for a personal trainer at the U but I have this ******ed thing about feeling shy walking up to the desk.

So maybe getting a personal trainer should be a goal.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #7  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

I have an absolutely crazy list of little goals to keep me enthusiastic. I will find almost ANY milestone I can think of, however small, and go ahead and make that a goal if I need one. Major milestones seem fairly obvious, but there can be a long road between them, so having the little ones to knock down helps me hugely. The one I most recently passed was getting to a BMI below 30, and therefore not obese. Which, OK, was pretty major for me, but the BIG one, of course, is getting below 200, and that one is going to take a while, just because I've been at this so long, and the weight can come off more slowly as you go on. So I need something in between, however minor.

Currently that is to get to a BMI of below 29 (which is really close, and driving me slightly nuts, because I'm stalled at the moment. I'll stick with it, and it will come along) and then after that, to drop into the next decade, because I am well and truly sick of the bloody 'teens. Then, hello, I am in the serious countdown to leaving the 200s behind, and right after that, comes GOAL. (Which will change, but to heck with it, I'm claiming it.)

What I have NOT done is set a specific timeline for these goals, because that will crush me. I hit the first major goal of 50 pounds lost well before the date I'd set, and then drove myself almost insane with trying to hit the second, which was 100 pounds lost. I made it, but just, and it taught me an incredibly valuable lesson, which is not to set myself up to THINK I've failed, because, honestly, if you hit a date, and your weight is down, if not quite what you wanted it to be, that is NOT a failure. You can only do so much, and with the best effort and will in the world, sometimes you might just stall out at the most inconvenient time, and need to either adjust your plan, or just carry on and ride it out.

So what I'm suggesting is that you break out the calculator and find some mini-goals, if you're kind of numbers-focused as I am. Keep them achievable and likely to fall within a fairly short period of time if you stay focused. Then stay focused.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

These are all great ideas. I think that personal trainer one is pretty cool too! Go for it!

I also just wanted to congratulate you on your hard work and how far you've come. Isn't it just ASTOUNDING? I know that's how I felt. It was so incredulous, so surreal, so mind-boggliing! You're literally making your dreams come true. There's really nothing more dramatic or spectacular than that.

Keep up that great work. The sky's the limit.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Onderland! Yes, you must go. It is really nice there! Lots of bang for your buck. Your car is running great, the weather is superb, ya got plenty of gas. Pedal to the medal!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hey--I also want to say CONGRATULATIONS! Amazing work you have done here.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #11  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

The personal trainer thing - Maybe you could call and ask about it? If your first contact is on the phone it might be easier. I'm incredibly shy, so I know how you feel.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #12  
Meg

Uber, you don't realize it, but you're a personal trainer's dream! ANY personal trainer would be thrilled to work with you, so please don't be shy about finding one. You are exactly the kind of client that all personal trainers love to have: committed, dedicated, hard-working, with a proven track record of success. I have a feeling that you're going to take that weight training ball and just run with it.

Seriously, incorporating weight training into your plan now would be the best thing you could do. Not only will it help you with your weight loss, but when you get to goal, you'll be several sizes smaller, tighter, and with a higher metabolism that if you didn't weight train. And I could go on for hours about the psychological benefits. Do it! I promise you'll never regret it.

And when you walk into the gym, I want you to look around at everyone there, even the buffest, fittest men and women ... and tell yourself that each one of them had a first day at the gym. Every person there had a first day when they didn't know a thing and felt like a fish out of water. None of us is born knowing what to do in the gym and I can assure you that there are people who will be absolutely delighted to teach you.

And maybe, just maybe, you might find a trainer who used to be morbidly obese him or herself. Just saying.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #13  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I know, I'm shy too. The personal trainers at the Y I've talked to and the one I worked with have all been really nice. They work with all types of people, young, old, fitter, less fit.

You will love the weight training, believe me. Swimming is a great toner, so I'm sure you're getting amazing benefits from that. Feeling the muscles from the strength training is awesome. Some women are afraid of getting bulky, but really you have to lift insanely to get to that point.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #14  

Hey, thank you everybody for the encouragement about the personal trainer. I "know" logically that its a silly phobia. I go to the Y almost every day, When I first started swimming it was AWFUL because I had the ugliest bathing suit known to mankind, with a skirt down to my knees, but now I'm a regular.

You guys have given me much needed encouragement. I REALLY want to do it, I've just been kind of blocked.

I had the absolute weirdest experience today. I am trying to fit into a pair of size 16 jeans and I shopped today-- they almost fit, but wouldn't quite zip.... that was kind of discouraging. But then, I hauled a pair of my old absolute favorite size 24s... the ones that fit even at my absolute fattest even though they were snug.

I WAS SHOCKED at how huge they were. I folded a pillow in half and stuck it into the waist band. It was SO STRANGE. I think that's the first time I ever realized how far I've really come.

I'm going to reread Meg's post every day until I actually screw up the courage to get the trainer.

Last edited by ubergirl; 12-11-2009 at 10:33 PM.