General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Default Gamer Chicks/Roosters!

We've had threads for gamers before... but it's been a while, and I figure even the people who responded in older threads are probably playing new things these days!

So... what do you play?

I quit World of Warcraft a few months ago... as it is, I only have one friend who still plays. When I see the commercials or look at old screenshots I start itching to play again but I know I'll get bored and I'd rather save the money for other things.

Right now I'm "between games"... hopefully I find something to hold me over until Diablo III comes out a few years from now, but E3 is still half a year away so I don't see myself getting hooked on anything soon. I play Spore once in a while, and hubby and I play Diablo II together when we're REALLY bored.

I'm mostly playing goofy stuff on the wii (it's the only console we have). I picked up Mad World, which is HILARIOUS, but completely crude and disturbingly violent so don't buy it if that's not your thing. Super Mario Bros Wii is really fun with multiple people, but sorta boring solo. I'll probably play the second Super Mario Galaxy when it comes out... or is it out now?

Hubby and most of his friends are looking forward to Starcraft 2, but I'm just plain awful at RTS games so I don't think I'll play. He might pick up Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, but that also doesn't appeal to me all that much. (I will say, though, that if you've only seen it played on a console, find someone who has it for the PC just to watch - the graphics are awesome!)

I think the game I play most often is tetris on my cell phone while I'm on the bus. In January I'm getting a Droid *swoon* so my portable gaming options will be expanded.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I wouldn't classify myself as a gamer but I have my moments.

Can you describe Spore to me? I've looked at it and I still don't understand what exactly it is! Is it like Sims? I don't like Sims so I figured I wouldn't like it.

I've been playing around with a free online game called Runes of Magic. It is interesting but I'm not sure it will hold my interest long.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I guess I can be considered a gamerchick... but mainly on the 360. I play the wii sometimes and I really like games on the pc like Diner Dash (I like simple games). I like mostly games that look fun. I don't prefer to play war games or first person shooters really. I'm not very good at the shooting of other people so I'm generally not good and choose not to play. The only game like that which I was good at was Halo and I used to play that with my now hubby and his friends back when they played. Games we have now that I like? Lego Batman, Lego Star Wars, Up!... I have more, but for some reason my mind just wen blank. Hubby has so many, I don't think I even know all the titles... I just scored Diner Dash for cheap the other day, so I play that on the pc when I'm already on the computer.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:34 PM   #4  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Nelie - Spore is a game where you control the evolution of a creature. You start off as a tiny cell like creature you can be a hunter and hunt other creatures for meat, or a plant eater and find plant material to eat.
The more you eat the more you grow (Millions of years pass of course) and you collect things to add on to your creature to make it more advance. (like legs or different eyes or mouth parts.) as you evolve you leave the water and walk on land, here it's the same story on a larger scale, you hunt for food...try not to become food...and find more advanced part to evolve your species.
You make friends or enemies with other species by communicating. the more evolved your species is...the better your communication works. "I wanna be your friend" Or "Stay away or we'll attack!" or you can just totally over take them and eat them if you're a meat eater.
You get points for all of this and then you evolve again, into a tribe. You need to make friends with other tribes by learning to make music, tools, and domesticate animals. Here you pick if your "people" are military, religious, or neutral (agricultural/ economic).
Long story short you evolve again.
Civilization...you make vehicles, if you're a religious people you make vehicles that help convert... if military, you make them to help you forcefully take over. The economic make vehicles to help transport and trade goods.
At this point the game becomes a lot like Dune...or Civlizations... you make troops or priests (depending), land/air/water vehicles and you "convert"/"Take over" other cities until you have whole world domination. You can do this by force...or buying out another city, or joining forces.
You evolve again
Galactic. Your people learn to travel in space. There are a few enemies you have to fight but the main goal is to populate planets, bring back alien life form (animal or plant) to study and to mine for goods.
I'm at this point in the game so I'm not sure what the magnitude of everything you can do here is.

There is literally, countless forms your species can take. You have full control of everything from body color to body shape.. wings, beaks, feet..hair..clothes. you control what their homes look like... you make the vehicles and the boats and the space ships. You create the national anthem for your people. The game is HUGE so make sure your computer can pull it. My laptop and pull it, bit only just...
It's super simple, but high addicting the missions are challenging but not so hard that you want to give up. Look it up on Youtube for a taste, I've seen people make some crazy creatures and ships.

It looks hard...but it's not. I taught myself everything about the game. They have pretty good in-game tutorals and they are great and easy.
some vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoP5t...eature=channel - Cell stage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRovPCiBBTw - a taste of how to make creatures.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoyRz...eature=channel - Tribal stage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRd8r...eature=channel - how to make vehicles

As for me...I'm a gamer...totally. I'm not really into first person shoot 'em up games. I'm more into Final Fantasy...I'm played 7-12 not 11 though. And I can't wait for 13 to come out next year. Kingdom Hearts...Fable II Spore, Sims (computer and playstation) Zelda, Sonic, Mario everything. Assassin's creed is great i can't wait to get the second one (it's sold out everywhere) -_-) My BF is playing Fallout 3, Assassin's creed...Two different Prince of Persia Games, Dead space, Bioshock, Wolfenstein, Lord of the Rings Conquest. Then we have the Wii games. Mario party..wii fit, wii resort, super smash bro's. brawl. ect..

We have A Wii,(ours) PS2,(mine) PS3,(mine) X-box,(his) Nintendo 64,(mine) Nintendo DS(one for him and one for me) and PSP (his) Though we play all of them, depending on the game.

Eat, sleep, play! Eat, sleep, play!

Last edited by Sakai; 12-10-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

I love the zelda games!!! Plants vs. zombies was fun for a bit...diner dash too....loved sims but its getting old...im curious about the new metroid game. And spore kinda sounds interesting too!
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/193.6/140

Mayness- Have you checked out Dragon Age Orgins? It could be a good one to help get you through the wait period on Diablo III. I'm a pretty casual gamer, but I'm thoroughly addicted to it and I loved Diablo II.
AmyAileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:26 AM   #7  
Good things happen.

Height: 5' 4"

I'm a reformed (sort of) gamer chick. I used to play (serially, never all at once) Everquest, Everquest II, World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XI, Guild Wars...but I find with games of that genre, I spend WAY too much time online, and quit everything before going back to school. Now I limit my game-playing addiction to Facebook apps (Mafia Wars and MouseHunt) and a couple of PC games (Peggle and Bejeweled Twist/Bejeweled 2). Once I'm done with school, I'll probably pick up some more things to try.
Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I played a LOT of EQ1. I mean, wow, a lot. Probably contributed to my weight issues! Had to grab fast food so I could hurry home and raid!

Now, I very casually play EQ2. I tradeskill and decorate my house and harvest shinies for collections. I like that I can log in and play for 30 minutes/45 minutes and accomplish something.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:22 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

I've not been gaming as much recently, I've been really busy with University. I love love Tales of Symphonia, its my all time favourite game ever.

Kingdom Hearts comes second.

Final fantasy really only enjoy a few of them...

I love WiiFit, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Professor Layton, etc.

I'm not really hardcore, I prefer nintendo by a long shot to any other company.
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #10  

I don't miss Warcraft at all, not even with the possibility of making a worg with the next expansion.

We've been playing Super Mario together. Galaxy 2 comes out in January I think, but the first one gave me headaches with all the tilting and flashing, so I probably won't pick it up.

Modern Warfare on the PC is spectacular, and the multi-player is butt kicking.

I cannot WAIT to get my new laptop next month, I have 2 weeks between getting it and starting back at school to play the heck outta Portal.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #11  
Just Me

Oh Portal was so fun!! One of the funnest games I've played in a long time. I thought it was short though. I also thought I read something that a Portal 2 was planned? I haven't looked it up in a long time though
Old 12-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #12  

Yeah, Portal was made as a college project actually. Two guys wrote it as their final project their junior year that was shown at the college's fair, iirc. One of the bigwigs at Valve saw it and told the guys to come see him when they graduated. They did, got jobs, and put Portal in the Orange Box.

They just released a second version that has another 14 or so puzzles, and they're planning another one for late 2010 last I heard.

There's also mods out for Portal, where gamers have built additional rooms that you can download and play. Last time I checked, there was something close to 10,000 additional rooms built.

Last edited by bacilli; 12-11-2009 at 01:22 PM.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Yay, glad there's been some good discussion here!

I forgot to mention, my very favorite wii game so far was Super Paper Mario. It's short, I'd say about 20 hours if you read/watch everything (though there are endless hours of "extra" stuff you can choose to do) but it's fun and the story is amazing. It made me laugh and it made me cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
Facebook apps
Haha, I forgot about those... I'm level 29 in Farmville and recently got myself hooked on Cafe World, too.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:25 PM   #14  
Just Me

We probably had the second version of Portal because it was a stand alone game when we bought it.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #15  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 226/ticker/175

I never was a gamer type of girl really until last Christmas when I started playing Tabula Rasa while it was free (due to it ending). I totally fell in love but can't really find anything to take it's place, which sucks. I liked it for its simplicity, I was able to just pick up and go and didn't have to worry about getting overly involved just to play.

I do dabble in Second Life, which isn't really a game. I've been a member for 4 years now and do have a shop which makes a decent profit though nothing like some.
Shrinking Girl is offline   Reply With Quote