Old 12-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #1  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Default Blech!

I'm at a friend's house (it's easier to write here) and on his suggestion we ordered dinner delivered. I had lasagne and oh heck holy moly sodium levels batman.

I'm going to be guzzling twice as much water tomorrow just to try and get this out of my system. UCK. It tasted horrid.

Don't do it folks!
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:58 PM   #2  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I am SOOOOOO with you. Everything tastes SO SALTY these days!!!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Disappointing, isn't it? When something you're sure you're going to love tastes wrong? And to have to pay for the sodium intake on the scale when you didn't even like what you ate is the pits...
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #4  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

I know what you mean. It's so weird how all the foods I used to love taste sooooo different now that I've been eating healthy for nearly a year. I ate a few cheetos the other day (first time in months) and dear goodness they were salty. I miss the old taste but at least with the 'new' taste I'm not tempted to eat the bad stuff.
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #5  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm curious, what made you guys salt sensitive? Did you cut it out of your diets? When I did South Beach and cut out the carbs, I went ahead and did the salt, so now I'm sensitive to it too. (The salt ban stuck...the carb ban did not.)
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #6  

Thanks for the support and sympathy!

Eliana - I'm not particularly sensitive to salt, but even before I started losing weight I was never a person who added salt to their meals (something about people in the Western world having way too much salt in their diets anyway). Since deciding to lose weight I've learnt that having lots of salt will increase my body's tendency to retain water weight.

That and I really don't like the taste. Really
Old 12-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #7  
TimeForAChange

S/C/G: 202/202/140

Height: 5'5"

Hey Salsa,

I hardly ever put salt on my food..and when i do a just put a dash! I HATE my foods being toooooo salty..like you said..blech!! Plus, I don't want to retain water weight..no sir.
HannahBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #8  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

I don't care for very salty foods either. I never added salt to anything but fresh veggies, and when I do I use ground sea salt these days. I prefer enhancing the flavor with garlic, onions or herbs.

I have found lately that I very much prefer to make my own food for taste, health, and cost, rather than eat out. The only downside is that it takes a lot of time. But what's a little effort to reap such great rewards?
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Argggh. I accidentally made my dinner WAY too salty last night. It was soy sauce that did the trick. Drank lots of water, but it didn't help. I was up a pound this morning. And just when I'm trying to bust into a new decade.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 214/TICKER/140

Height: 5'2 3/4 :)

I agree. My hubs adds salt to *everything* except fruit. I never add it in the cooking process or anything because I am very salt sensitive I bloat crazily. I wish I had the patience or a recipe for my own tomato sauce because the canned stuff is HIGH in sodium. EEK.
Lackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:54 PM   #11  
hot. like a curry.

S/C/G: 308/248/150ish

Height: 5'4"

Salt is the one thing I haven't been able to conquer yet. Sweets, breads, fats...not too hard for me. But I love salt. I don't cook with a lot of it but I salt everything -- I swear it has to do with my upbringing.

I'm Greek, so I grew up on feta and olives. I swear I was born with salt water running through my veins.

Is there anyone else who has had trouble unsalting? It's definitely one of the next things I have to address.
gloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:12 AM   #12  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloo View Post
Salt is the one thing I haven't been able to conquer yet. Sweets, breads, fats...not too hard for me. But I love salt. I don't cook with a lot of it but I salt everything -- I swear it has to do with my upbringing.

I'm Greek, so I grew up on feta and olives. I swear I was born with salt water running through my veins.

Is there anyone else who has had trouble unsalting? It's definitely one of the next things I have to address.
I walk a middle ground with salt. A lot of things I used to salt, I try not to anymore, like veggies and meats, or just very sparingly. I also stay away from really egregiously salty items that I don't adore, like most processed soups and opt for low sodium versions of things where I don't think it makes a difference like tuna. But I won't turn down a good olive (YUM!) or things I really like such as cheeses and capers because they are salty. So I'm conscious of how much salt things have and stay away from the worst offenders except for a few specific treats I love.

Last edited by CLCSC145; 12-11-2009 at 12:13 AM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:39 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 236/224/180ish?

Height: 5'10"

The only thing I salt while cooking is meat and eggs. Anymore people can add when they eat their plates.

I'm really not a salt lover. It just makes my mouth feel dry and awful.
ibcnuldu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:47 AM   #14  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

I'm a really good cook, but the ONE complaint I ever get is that I under-salt everything, and always have. Salt's got its place, and that place is in the grinder I put out on the table, so people can salt their own to their taste. Part of this is just me being health-conscious, and hyper-cautious, because salt bloats me like crazy, and even when I KNOW it's just sodium bloat I'm seeing on the scale, I still find it upsetting, particularly if I've been stalled for a while and working really hard to get the scale to move again, and part of it is just because once a dish is over-salted, it's very, very hard to fix it -- the raw potato trick only goes so far -- and I'd just as soon leave it up to others to put their own salt on what I've cooked.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:37 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherinef View Post
I'm a really good cook, but the ONE complaint I ever get is that I under-salt everything, and always have. Salt's got its place, and that place is in the grinder I put out on the table, so people can salt their own to their taste. Part of this is just me being health-conscious, and hyper-cautious, because salt bloats me like crazy, and even when I KNOW it's just sodium bloat I'm seeing on the scale, I still find it upsetting, particularly if I've been stalled for a while and working really hard to get the scale to move again, and part of it is just because once a dish is over-salted, it's very, very hard to fix it -- the raw potato trick only goes so far -- and I'd just as soon leave it up to others to put their own salt on what I've cooked.
THIS.

I love cooking and am good at it (woah...I typed that out loud). Many people would compliment me on my dishes, but there were always a few who'd then grab the salt bottle and whoosh it all over their food. It took me a while to get past taking this personally :P

Oh, and this morning TOM arrived...and I had a wrong-direction whoosh. SIGH :P Time to guzzle the water even more