General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-10-2009, 09:55 AM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default E-BOOKS ~ Tell me....

Is that what they are E-Books?

The i-pod like thing that holds books to read?

I saw a blurb the other day on the news....they mentioned the Barnes and Noble was a good one but you have to order and can't get until Jan. That's fine..

also something about being able to loan your book to someone for 2 weeks and buying from the library...or maybe that was free?

Angie reads a lot! Her 50th....sshhh birthday is in Jan. I was thinking it may be a good gift for her.

We don't exchange at Christmas really as we "give" to World Vision...

Anyway...I know nothing! about these things...

how do they work?

how much?

how do you get the books on it?

how much are books about?

HELP!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Amazon.com has the best one I know of...called the Kindle, but there are newer versions like the Kindle DX (I think?). They are about the size of a paperback book (but really thin) and you purchase electronic copies of books from the website and it transfers into your device. They come equipped with the wireless Internet connection, and you have to just keep the batteries charged up on it.

B&N does have a newer one coming out but from what I have read their wireless service is not available everywhere, so you'd have to get on the website and make sure where she lives is covered so she can get connected. I think Kindle is still supposed to be better, esp. the newer one.

It is about $10 for an electronic book and you can read blogs, newspapers, get magazine subscriptions, etc. Pretty neat.

Last edited by Purplefirefly; 12-10-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #3  
Workin' It

Kindle is fantastic - we got my MIL one for Christmas the year it came out, and DH is getting one for Christmas this year from my mom. I also have Kindle reader on my iPod. If you register more than one Kindle on an Amazon account you can share books between them. You can't share Kindle books between other devices. Amazon has a large number of books and magazines available. Kindle now offers a Kindle for PC option that lets you read your Kindle books on your computer, a common feature in existing e-books, but one that is only now supported by the Kindle.

DH researched the Nook (the B&N option) pretty extensively, and it looks good. It has the additional feature of being able to share books to any electronic device, like my eReader program on my old PDA. B&N acquired EReader which includes all of the old Palm Reader files and multiple other e-book formats. They are supposed to have the most extensive e-librabry available.

DH went with Kindle on his wish list because his MIL has one and I'm already using the Kindle reader and we can share. That and I think he wanted it sooner than the Nook would be available.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #4  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Angie is a lucky woman!

The Kindle has a good track record and Amazon provides a large variety of books so I would go with the Kindle over the new Barnes and Noble device. DH told me to order what I wanted for Christmas (not romantic but at least I get what I want) so I have seriously considered the Kindle. Instead I have ordered an Ipod Touch. You can read Kindle books on it in addition to being able to keep other things on it. I go for multi-use items over single-use items when possible. The Touch is smaller than the Kindle so the reading experience might be better on the Kindle.

Does Angie like audio books? I travel alot and I love to listen to audio books. If she likes them, you may want to go with something like the Touch because you can have the Kindle books and audio books on it. I have a subscription to Audible.com and highly recommend it to anyone who like audio books.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
Angie is a lucky woman!

I'm the lucky one

Does Angie like audio books? .
I don't think she has ever read/listened to one CHERYL...she talks to herself a lot so that could get confusing!

Thanks so much for the input gals...it really helps!
Old 12-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Oh, I'd love one, but out of my budget and any gift-giving budget in our family!

But, I might pay rent on an easy chair at Barnes & Noble if they'd let me

Last edited by JulieJ08; 12-10-2009 at 12:30 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Oh, I'd love one, but out of my budget and any gift-giving budget in our family!

But, I might pay rent on a easy chair at Barnes & Noble if they'd let me
Barnes & Noble has been the site of many of our "cheap" date nights!