Old 12-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Let's talk Vitamins!!

Ok, I wanna talk about Vitamins. Who takes just a multi, or one of those packets with lots of difft Vitamins in it, etc? I never was big into taking vitamins, but I think I should start. I'm about to turn 31, and while I've lost somewhere around 90 pounds, I am tired ALLLLLL the time, when I should be GAINING energy ( I would think?? ) I push through and just do my workouts after work, but I"d so rather go home and just sleep. I was tested for anemia, and while I am borderline, I wasn't full on anemic. I'm wondering if a vitamin(s) would help with this tiredness, and all around energy.

Please tell me if anyone has been in a similar situation, what you take, what didn't work, etc. Thanks in advance ladies. Love Ya! *Hugs*
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #2  
TimeForAChange

S/C/G: 202/202/140

Height: 5'5"

My mother is a biggy on vitamins! She makes me take them everyday... I take multi-vitamins to B,C or D complex to Fish Oil and Flax seed(good for your digestive system). I think they should help you and they will give u a kick of extra energy and you'll feel better. You should take coQ 10.. it's really good for your heart and it gives you some much needed energy!

I notice a difference when i haven't taken my vitamins for a week and i take them again i realize how much they help my body.. So, i would start taking them.. They'll help you just as much as they help me! I hope i helped! GOODLUCK!!! <3
HannahBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #3  

I take fish oil for omega 3 and a basic multivitamin. If they are helping me or just coming out the other end, I can't say, but they do seem to help other people. I think in the case of weighloss they may be of benefit, as reducing food intake also results in reduced nutrient intake, even if we try to balance.

Before jumping to a pill though, maybe its just your routine that's making you tired. You haven't described your eating habits and sleep habits, or how often you exercise, etc. If you are not eating enough to maintain your weight (and thus losing weight), your body will be tired because it lacks sufficient energy, and adding exercise on top of that exhausts you even more physically. Not getting enough sleep will do that, too. 8 hours is recommended, but I don't know many people who sleep that much, except on weekends.

Depending how often you exercise or how much you eat, try taking a couple of days-week off. Take a break, and see if that helps your energy. If you feel better after that, then you know you just need to break periodically to let your body recover. You've lost a TON of weight, that's some major adjusting your body is doing.

A vitamin might help take the edge off, but simply resting is the best medicine for being tired. I pushed myself really hard last week, and sunday just blew off the exercise because I was really tired. I ended up sleeping during the time I was going to exercise. I don't regret it at all.
Tarisaande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I take a multivitamin 'just in case'. I eat lots of fruits and veggies but from what I've read, the vitamins in foods depends on how long the food item has been sitting as well the soil it has been grown in.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #5  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Each day I take a multi vitamin, biotin and omega 3 capsules.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #6  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I have not been taking vitamins and also wonder if I should so I don't have a response to your questions. However, one of the posts made me think of something related ......

Quote:
Tarisaande originally posted I think in the case of weighloss they may be of benefit, as reducing food intake also results in reduced nutrient intake, even if we try to balance.
In my case, I don't think that reducing food intake resulted in reduced nutrient intake. While I ate a huge number of calories, for the most part they were empty calories at best and often were harmful calories. I think that I have increased my nutrient intake while lowering my caloric intake.

I don't think that the french fries, honey buns, and candy bars gave me many nutrients.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #7  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I take a multivitamin (Kroger store brand of One-A-Day), plus Calcium w/Vitamin D, per doctor's orders. I also take fish oil capsules.

As far as your lack of energy goes, this may or may not be true at all for you, but here's what happened with me: For YEARS I was tired all the time. I thought it would get better with exercise/weight loss, and it did, but not by much. I finally figured out that even when I was sleeping, I wasn't getting any rest because I never really slept that soundly. I've always been a pretty light sleeper, but it's gotten worse as I've gotten older.

So a few weeks ago I started taking Melatonin, which is supposed to help with sleep, and boy, has it ever worked for me. I'm not exhausted all the time anymore! It's fantastic. I actually get rest when I sleep, and I *stay* asleep, which has always been a battle. I had to double the dose from 3 mg to 6, but it's worked like a charm.

As I said, your mileage may vary, but it's something to consider.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #8  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I take a Womens One a Day Active Multivitamin... Calcium... and Fish Oil. My chiropractor recommends taking some D because he says it's great for your immune system (but it's in my multi-vitamin so I'm good on that for now.)
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #9  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I've never been a vitamin taker because I would do it for a while then forget but now that I have some daily pills to take (BC, Spiro for PCOS) it's pretty easy to remember to take a basic multivitamin with iron per my doctor. Since I started taking them about two months ago I think that my hair loss from the weight loss has slowed down, but I don't really know if the two are related. Can't hurt, though, right?
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #10  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I get a full nutritional blood panel done every 3 months and SO FAR I am able to meet all of my daily requirements through my food. I do eat a lot of nutritional yeast in the winter though for the B "feel good" vitamins
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #11  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm another once-a-dayer which I take around lunch time for fatigue. I crash around 1:00 if I don't.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #12  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I take a wal-mart brand flintstone type vitamin once a day (the wal-mart brand was actually better in nutrients than the flintstones). I also take iron 3 times a day and a high dose of B-12 because of my anemia. Take care of the anemia now when you are only borderline, it is so much easier to correct at that point. If the docs won't give you iron because you are just borderline then get some over the counter iron pills. My doc gave me a pill when I was just borderline, but I got tired of it and gave up, now I have to take 3 instead of 1.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/170

Height: 5'7.25"

I had a gradual shift to (well, most of the time....) getting all my nutrients from food (with the help of a green smoothie) but I still take sour gummy calcium and in the winter take vitamin D to combat living in a cloudy/snowy climate. I just have to remember not to take calcium when I'm supposed to be absorbing iron (calcium steals the receptors). Oh, and since Michigan (and most of the midwest) is a selenium-deficient area if I know I'm eating a lot of local produce I also take selenium. Almost forgot that one.
dangerousfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:45 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 267/ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

well as a health care student, I have learned alot about vitamins. the most surprising is that it is almost impossible to get all the vitamins 7 minerals you need from your food intake because the food we eat (even the "healthy' food) is not as nutrient dense as it used to be 50 years ago. when you are dieting its even harder!

i would recommend (and will be taking as soon as i get paid on friday) a good quality multi-vitamin, for women & wieght loss if you can find one (one a day makes on, and target has a store brand), for your energy you might want to take an additional b complex, fish oil is very good for weight loss, and talk to your Dr. about at over the counter iron supplement for your "borderline" anemia.
medinazarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #15  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I take a multi-vitamin... Centrum Women's to be exact, used to take the One-A-Day Women's for Weight loss but it literally tore my stomach up.... some days it'd even make me puke!... ... as well as fish oil, a probiotic for my digestive system (I have a lot of digestive problems), Vitamin D, and ground flaxseed every day.

Try and get your bloodwork done... I did about 6 months ago and I found out that I was EXTREMELY VitD deficient and my doc put me on prescription VitD for three months. Within a few weeks I was feeling amazing and had so much more energy... my bones quit hurting... my depression was better.. and a lot more! Now I still taken an extra 2000IU a day, besides what I eat and what's in my multivitamin (which isn't squat). This may or may not be your case... but still it just goes to show that vitamins make a HUGE difference... and a deficiency in any is no laughing matter!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote