View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #38
Tarisaande

Quote:
I agree! But it made no mention about what it costs to eat healthy, and strongly gave the impression that eating healthy costs that much.

That's what I'm referring to, how general interest articles reword things to make them sound like something they aren't. However the article does make this assertion, right at the beginning

quote: Calorie for calorie, junk foods not only cost less than fruits and vegetables

Being a general interest article, there is the spin that poor people eat more junk because it's cheaper, yadda yadda yadda.

The following quote includes both fact, from the survey, and general interest twisty-talk

quote: higher-calorie, energy-dense foods are the better bargain for cash-strapped shoppers. Energy-dense munchies cost on average $1.76 per 1,000 calories, compared with $18.16 per 1,000 calories for low-energy but nutritious foods

They combine the fact, that low energy density food is more expensive, with a throw-away "common knowledge" (but incorrect) statement that claims that the rest of the food out there that is cheaper is also junk food ("munchies"). When an individual reads such an article, their personal knowledge of food and nutrition will determine whether they take it at face value, or realize that they are mixing fact and fantasy in the same breath.

Last edited by Tarisaande : 12-08-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Tarisaande is offline   Reply With Quote