South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-04-2009, 01:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 179/179/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Girlenblue's Question re Weighing.

Ruthxxx, I know everyone is different but what's a good rule of thumb for weighing in. My best friend and I started Monday and she called to tell me she's lost 4 lbs as of today. She's got more weight to lose than I do so I know she'll lose it faster. I was going to weigh in once a week, because I don't want to get discouraged if I don't see progress as quickly as I'd like. On the other hand I don't want to wait to weigh in and then see no progress - although I'm following the plan as outlined.
girlenblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:21 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I moved this to here, Girl, because you will get more opinions. Nobody checks the other thread except me.

You should not compare yourself to anyone else for weightloss as we are all different. Most people weigh weekly and do see a loss. Others weigh daily and average results. The 8 - 13 pounds advertised in the book is for folks who are quite overweight and have just started a diet. Results vary.

Just keep on trucking and join in the chat in the Phase I thread for support and ideas.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Take it a day at a time, Girlenblue, and you'll be just fine. It isn't necessary to compare yourself to others' progress. This is your journey. I just read through the OP thread for the week. I was amazed about the omelets at IHop. You are doing the right thing-planning ahead and proceeding with care. It's easy to achieve short term results, but if you stay on track you'll see the benefits of SB as a WOL.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #4  
Be happy.

Girlenblue, I was thinking along the same lines as Debbie. You're planning your meals and trying to follow SBD carefully - that's what counts.

As far as weighing yourself goes, I think it's all about personality.

Some people obsess over every little blip, and get discouraged if they're up a pound or if they don't see quick changes. If that sounds like you, you probably don't want to weigh yourself daily.

Others are able to check their weight every day and use it as a tool. Instead of feeling discouraged or defeated when they don't see quick changes, they're able to honestly look at what's gone on in the past few days and make adjustments if needed. And if no changes are needed, they're able to wait things out without too much frustration.

I am an 'everyday weigher'. I find it motivates me and helps me stay on track. If I'm up 2 pounds from yesterday I know there's no way I gained that much fat in 24 hours, so I don't stress out too much. It's the same when the scale goes down though, too. If I'm down a pound one day I don't get too excited, I know I'm likely to be back up a pound the following day.

Whatever you decide about your scale, please remember that it's only one piece of the puzzle. How you feel and how you look are every bit as important as what your scale reads. *hug*
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #5  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Hi Girlenblue, everybody is different.

I have lost at an astonishing rate, we just calculated last night, .42 pounds a day since September 4 (I was 241 that day, unfortunately I didn't keep historical weigh-ins before that except 260 in May and I wasn't a faithful dieter most of the summer) and my loss this fall has been very even, just about 12-13 pounds a month.

I assume that by the time I get to your weight that my loss will be at 1.5 or 2 pounds per week, not 3 like it is now...and as I lose weight I'll surely be working out more, so my numbers may be even further skewed, because I may be "losing fat" and "gaining muscle" at the same time...still shrinking, but the scale will not be as much encouragement as the tape measure will be.

To lose 4 pounds from Monday to Friday when starting a diet is normal, that's usually considered to be "water weight," the excess water that your body holds that is flushed out when you change your diet.

I got into my mess because I didn't weigh every day, didn't have a scale for 3 years or more. So, for the rest of my life, I will weigh every day, because I need to be accountable to myself, just like I need to know how much money is in the bank and how much gas is in the car.
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #6  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I weigh myself once a week on the same day. I also measure my waist and hips regularly. You can tell a lot from measurements that you can't tell from the scales due to TOM, salt intake, etc.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #7  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I agree with everyone that you can't compare to anyone! I myself weigh almost everyday but I figure one day a week to count as my official weigh in. I mostly use the scale to see how foods affect me. I assume that I gain water weight with inflammation, which I am not completely sure that they coincide that much but seems when I feel bloated it is from certain foods or food combos, and weight always seems to go up then. It also helps me to tell which salty foods to stay away from! I know many people can get discouraged weighing every day but for me, as long as I know I am doing well it doesn't bother me- if I am slipping it motivates me to do better...
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:26 AM   #8  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I'm a bit of an "odd duck" but I don't weigh myself at all. I have no idea what I weigh. After "dieting" for years off and on and feeling depressed when the scale didn't move fast enough. I swore them off.

I just plodded along being good and the clothes sizes just went down, down down till I reached my size goal. Now I just stay on plan and have something "bad" every now and then and it's just "normal" now to eat clean and healthy. No diets ever ever again.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:51 AM   #9  
Be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmecreole View Post
..... Now I just stay on plan and have something "bad" every now and then and it's just "normal" now to eat clean and healthy. No diets ever ever again.
I love this, Cat.
It's my ultimate goal!
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:18 PM   #10  

Thanks, everyone. I weighed in for the first time today, and I was pleasantly surprised but scared that I may have lost too much too soon (I'm 169, and was 179 when I weighed in Nov 27) and my weight loss will slow down.

I like rdw 1's idea of weighing in daily but only counting one as the official weigh in. I'm also going to have my husband take my measurements today. Thanks, murphmitch.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #11  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

You could talk to your doctor, but that kind of loss is not unheard of. Who knows what could have been in your body on Nov. 27. Were you eating a lot of salty food, noticeably retaining water, etc? Possibly did you weigh at night the first time? SBD, if you get all the veggies you are supposed to get, makes you pretty "regular" too. Is it possible you were...backed up? (sorry if that's TMI, but it could account for some weight).

The other thing could be, if you had worked out a lot right about the time you weighed in, your muscles may have been swollen (again, water weight)...
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #12  

LOL, webbleswobble. I've never been this regular in my life. That could be a big part of it.