Old 12-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #1  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Do you keep a weight-loss journal?

I own a few blank journals and have been thinking about using one as a sort of diary or journal to record my thoughts and progress as I lose the weight. Does anyone else do this? If so, what kind of things do you put in there?
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #2  
TimeForAChange

S/C/G: 202/202/140

Height: 5'5"

Hi, yes! I recentantly started keeping a journal and it's help me collect my thoughts and make changes on certain things when i go back and read though it about how i feel after i work out.. It's help me be sure of my progress and i recommend for everyone to do it! I usually put what i did (elliptical, weights, etc) and for how long.. then i record how i'm feeling and my progress!
If you think of anything else to put in your journal... what you ate/drank afterwards, what your did..FEEL FREE..the more the merry! Hope i helped!
HannahBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #3  
New ME in 2010!

This thread caught my eye Lesley! I'm like you - have several journals, would really like to keep one, maybe someone will come along and help us BOTH out!

Kim
PrairieChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #4  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I have in the past, but have slacked off as the newness of my journey has worn off, but boy it helped at the beginning (and would probably help now). I would write down all sorts of things: what I ate, how I felt about myself, measurements, weigh-ins, what I wanted from the weight loss, exercise, compliments I received, etc.

I also would glue in pictures of my progress, pictures of clothes I want to wear, inspirational quotes, and things like that. Hmm, I should probably start doing it again!

Last edited by CLCSC145; 12-04-2009 at 02:44 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #5  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I've kept a journal and write in it every single day for my entire journey so far! My foods, drinks, sleep... how I feel, what I did for exercise and my goals/wishes. It helps!!!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #6  
New ME in 2010!

WOW - that is some GREAT ideas! easier and more funtional than having a Journal online. BUT, a journal online is ALSO an encouragement to others too!

hmmmmmmm...I think I want to do BOTH!
PrairieChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #7  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

I keep a journal every day to track what I eat, do, etc. and have found it really useful in identifying some of my triggers that send me off on food binges. For example, when my friends bailed on dinner on me the other night... I ate. After writing about it in my journal I was able to read over it and realize how I had once again given into emotional eating and started brainstorming ways to avoid it in the future. I also like to write little notes when I'm starting to feel really hungry to see if there is a pattern from day to day...
KimL1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #8  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I've been thinking about doing a more traditional journal like you mention... I do have a weight-loss binder, though. In there I have some small calendars to track my daily weight... charts to track my inches lost... some goal pages to remind myself why I am doing this... some plan pages to remind me what healthy steps I want to take... and some reward pages filled with clothes and music and misc things I would consider buying to treat myself.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #9  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

I track my weight, bmi and bf% daily in an excel file; I have a paper diary in which to record my food intake and daily thoughts.
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:59 PM   #10  
I ♥ Life!

S/C/G: 231/221/150

Height: 5'3"

You know, I've been kind of using this site as an informal journal, but you have a great idea! I think I will start up a journal for myself. Maybe I will new pictures of myself each month to track my progress. Thanks for the inspiration!
Dulce Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #11  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

For me, what got me and keeps me chubby is a daily topic! I stress eat, so my blog just basically chronicles my life. I import mine to my facebook page so share with those close to me as well. The support is amazing!

What I journal: daily calorie intake, burn and resulting deficit, weekly weigh ins and results on a separate "page" of the blog.

What I don't: specific weight (I don't really want everyone knowing my exact weight!) Also, I don't rant about certain people or continue to complain arbitrarily. I try to remain positive!

Happy blogging!
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #12  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

I use the journal section of FitDay to rant and rave and make notes, along with entering all the weight/food/etc. data.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #13  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for all the input and ideas, ladies!

I keep track of my food already, plus my weight through my WW booklet, but I think I will start the journal and incorporate a lot of what has been mentioned here. I think keeping a journal will be fun and help me stay motivated, as well as being something to look back on once I get to maintenance to keep me on track - although I have a ways to go before I have to worry about that!

LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #14  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I've been keeping a blog lately, but I also have a journal.

I keep track of my weight by week, with little notes (TOM, any special activities, visits, trips, times I go to the gym, etc). I cut and paste pics I find inspiring -- people hiking, swimming, snorkling, kayaking, etc. I have a graph or two, my inches by date. Actual journal entries.

It's a great resource. The times when I've put it away are the times when I've struggled the most (ain't that funny). I find it significant to remember where I came from, and to remind myself where I want to go.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #15  
hot. like a curry.

S/C/G: 308/248/150ish

Height: 5'4"

I've kept journals for as long as I can remember. Although they focus on weight loss, I tend to wander off into other territory pretty regularly. At first I though the my aimless verbal meandering meant nothing in terms of my weight loss, but when I look back at old entries I can see how subtle things either helped derail me or pushed me forward. Good stuff.

I've actually been thinking about restarting my public blog recently as well.
gloo is offline   Reply With Quote