Old 12-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 176/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Default Day 2 of Atkins, feel a tiny weak

Hi all,

I'm so happy that I decided to lose weight and I hope I stick to it! Six years ago I was on Atkins and I lost 20 pounds but then my Dad passed away so I started eating those horrible carbs again.

Anyway, I feel just a little weak, wondering if my body is going through some carb withdrawals? LOL!

I had 3 eggs this morning for breakfast, and 1/2 cup of turkey (leftover) with 1/2 table. mayo. That's it so far.

Glad to be part of the Atkins group!!

Toby
TobyThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/160/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi Toby, I think you're correct and your body is probably having some withdrawal symptoms. I remember when I started Atkins (early September), I got headaches and was physically exhausted for the first week or so and then it stopped. I always wanted to sleep, lol, I think my body was confused. It should get better. Stick with it, glad you're here!

Lindsay
lcrenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Toby,

You know, I'm trying to remember back in order to accurately pin-point the exact days....but both times I've done Atkins, I experienced both weakness and this aching in my legs for about 2-3 days (if I remember correctly)...and I think this occurred around the second day or so. I've read multiple others relate these same experiences on the Atkins site....they often refer to this as "the Atkins flu".

It's generally known that when people go on diets, they usually lose some significant amount of weight (on the scale) during the first week or so....and that this is generally considered to be mainly water weight. So my assumption would be that if the body does, indeed, release water weight at the very beginning of a diet....that some electrolytes, etc....would also be released (sodium, potassium, etc.).....and this temporary water/electrolyte loss could very well explain the temporary weakness and leg aches/cramps.

I take a multivitamin and a chelated calcium/magnesium supplement....but I also added a bit of potassium both times when I experienced these symptoms 2 or so days after starting Atkins (both times).......and the symptoms did ease up and disappear......but the thing is, I have no idea if it was the potassium or if it would have simply gone away by itself in a day or so, once my fluid and electrolyte balance stabilized itself.

For one thing.....I did not continue the potassium supplement...as there's some in my multivite plus there's plenty in all the veggies I eat. So I clearly did not NEED additional potassium to be continued.....or the symptoms would have returned....and they did not.
I can't remember the exact scientific explanation for why the body releases so much fluid at the very beginning......but throughout the diet, your body will fluctuate when it comes to fluid balance (which will cause the scale to show some fluctuations all along the way)......but generally speaking, once you stabilize on the diet, your fluid and electrolyte balance should also stabilize itself and you should find that this "Atkins flu"/weakness, leg aches/cramps should resolve and should not be a persistent problem.

It just seems to be a fairly common occurrence during the first week or so of starting the Atkin's diet.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #4  

Hi Lindsay and Deena,

Thanks for the information, funny, last time I was on Atkins I don't remember feeling this way but then again I don't have the best memory in the world!

I was doing some research earlier and it seems like I should be taking a potassium supplement... Hey, I would much rather have the "Atkins Flu" compared to the real flu, LOL!

Still feel kind of weak but that's okay.. The funny thing part is I don't feel as fatigued as I used to even though I feel weak.

I was planning on doing Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds, (I used to do them) but no way until I feel better. I don't want to push myself until my body is more stablized.

Went food shopping yesterday and picked up some of the ingredients needed for the induction phase like cauliflower, cream cheese, lettuce. I had ordered the new Atkins book (new and revised) but it's hasn't arrived yet, darn!

How is everyone else feeling?
Toby
Old 12-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyThin View Post
I had ordered the new Atkins book (new and revised) but it's hasn't arrived yet, darn!
Be very leery of any of the "new & revised" Atkins books. These books have been edited by Atkins Nutritionals Inc. and are not true to the way Dr. Atkins himself wrote the plan. I personally recommend anyone doing Atkins or considering doing Atkins stick to the 2002 or earlier editions of the book....before the good Dr. passed.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #6  

Wow, thanks! I had no idea about this so I will try to find the older Atkins book dated 2002 or before...

I am wondering if I should order those kero?? sticks? I have not weighed myself because it's only been a few days and I thought I read somewhere to weight yourself once a week...

Toby
Old 12-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:

I am wondering if I should order those kero?? sticks? I have not weighed myself because it's only been a few days and I thought I read somewhere to weight yourself once a week...
Personally, for me....the keto sticks were useless. I lost over 100 lbs on Atkins, the sticks never changed color for me.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #8  

Toby, I got my Ketostix on Ebay but I think you can get them at CVS or Rite Aid, any pharmacy. They change color for me, but as JerseyGyrl said... they don't do it for everyone.

As for how I feel, bloated.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Now see, I HAVE to use the ketostix.....and my weight loss truly tracks right along with the level of ketosis. Isn't it amazing how this works differently for different individuals? Because you sure can't argue with JerseyGyrl's success....100 lbs. just awe-inspiring, IMO.

In order to get Atkins to work this second time, I had to use all sorts of trial and error to figure out why I was having such difficulty this time. It took me several years, in fact, to solve the riddle. And during all that time, it became clearly apparent to me that if the ketostix were not turning, I was either not losing or was gaining. I mean, I repeated the experiment over and over, trying to rule out various factors...and every single time, being in ketosis was critical, even if I was following the diet to a T. I had to eliminate artificial sweeteners this time....and once I finally got the sticks to turn purple...I finally began to lose weight.

So for the past 6 months....I have monitored the ketosis every single day and for me....the ketosis almost exactly matches the weight loss. But...I have read on the Atkin's site that many individuals do not need to turn the sticks in order to lose amazing amounts of weight....so clearly, this is an individual thing. I would guess that the best thing to do would be to see if you need to have the sticks turn in order to lose weight and if you are like JerseyGyrl and many others, and do not....I would not even worry about using the sticks. I chose to use them because for me, they give me an accurate measure for determining if I am always eating properly....esp. when I try new things. They help keep me on track....but if they were not really giving me useful information, I wouldn't bother using them.

BTW...Walmart carries a Bayer brand of ketostix that are very inexpensive....though you may have to ask for them at the pharmacy section.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #10  

Well, right now I am not going to use the ketostix. I lost 5 pounds in 1 week (very happy!) and then I realized I have been doing 2 things wrong. I do drink coffee and I was using Coffeemate Hazelnut Cream which has wayyyyyy too many carbs! Going out soon and buying the Sugar-Free Coffeemate. 1 carb per serving compared to 9 carbs, big difference!

Yes, read those labels! I also know that I have NOT been drinking enough water, I have the Brita Water Canister and I have to remind myself to drink more water...

I feel great, have more energy, and soon I will start doing Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds! I feel good, yeah!

Toby
Old 12-07-2009, 12:05 PM   #11  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Going out soon and buying the Sugar-Free Coffeemate.
You may want to re-think using the sugar-free coffeemate....it contains corn syrup solids and is full of preservatives.
One of the many beauty's of Atkins....HEAVY CREAM! A little heavy cream with some DaVinci's syrup tastes better than that processed stuff anyday!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #12  

ok....i went to the store today and stocked up on my low-carb stuff. I've learned a valuable lesson (again) that carbs are not for me...no matter how low fat they are...my body just doesn't handle them well (breads, cereals, pasta). The natural carbs from veggies and some fruits I can handle.

I am excited about this journey and lifestyle change. I did this back in 2003 and lost about 40 pounds and kept it off for quite a while.... There are many reasons why I didnt stay with it...but it doesn't matter now...now is the time for a new beginning
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:41 AM   #13  

Nope, carbs are not for me either!

I thought about the Coffeemate and then researched all the ingredients and wow, it has so many bad ingredients! Heavy cream is fine but I am still looking for where I can buy DaVinci's Syrup. I saw a couple of places online so if I can't find it locally, I will buy this syrup online. I never even heard of it until it was mentioned, thanks!!

Toby
Old 12-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #14  

I bought Torani sugar-free syrup for my coffee at Walmart and it's pretty good. It's sucralose (Splenda) based and a little goes a long way. I have the caramel but my fiance bought the chocolate flavor and vouches for how good it is. They are around $3-4 a bottle, I think.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #15  

I am going to first try the DaVinci as I found out that Costco (which is very close to me) carries the sugar-free syrups. I had no idea there were so many flavors including my favorite: Hazelnut!

Will let you know what I think... I am very impressed with their site. Walmart is not so close but if worse comes to worse, it's good to know that they carry the other syrup.. Always good to have a backup. Thanks!

Toby