Old 11-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #58

Happy Thanksgiving Evening, Flowers! I'm on my way to bed so thought I would try and see if I could get in here tonight. We had a nice day and the sun came out in the afternoon. Beth and the kids came over tonight; she wants to shop the WM specials at 5 tomorrow morning. I warned her they might not even have what she saw in the ad. The kids will hopefully stay asleep when she leaves. Will has to work tomorrow and she didn't have a babysitter, so that's how we get to play with Maddy and Kolby.

Susan -- I'm glad your new windows and door are in. I'm sure you will be able to tell a difference. Having neat workers is a big bonus! I would love to smell your roses! They are my favorite flower, but I don't have any luck growing them. Have fun at Joann's Fabric. I always liked that store and would shop at the one in Sioux City. It went out of business a few years ago and I haven't heard of another one anywhere around here.

I'm going to bed! Have a fantastic Friday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:04 AM   #2  

Good morning, ladies! We had a downpour in the night, but the sun is out and it is beautiful now.

I had friends from NC stop by this morning. It was so nice to see them. They used to live here but moved when they retired.

Jean, enjoy your time with the grandchildren.

Tomorrow is WW. I didn't get there today. I didn't overeat yesterday so hopefully I'll show a loss.

Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS
It is a bright sunshiny day here in the heartland. Yesterday was fun. The day before on Wednesday I had my ducks in a row and had my green Jell-O salad that has cottage cheese in it, whole berry cranberry sauce mixed with mandarin oranges and pecans and my carrots, celery, onion and mushrooms all chopped up and in a container in the fridge that I sauté and put in my dressing. Rolls baked and in a plastic bag. Turkey breast thawing in the fridge. Then later that evening we got an invite to spend Thursday, Thanksgiving day with some dear friends. Their three grown up children and spouses and children would all be there. It is those 3 grown up children that I was commissioned to build the houses for. Anyway there were 12 teens there, one of which was an exchange student from a far away place near Russia that I can’t right now remember. One of those little countries anyway. These kids were ages from 13 to junior year in collage. We had fun to say the least. I had taken what I had already made to add to their table and cooked my turkey breast after we got home in the evening. We had met all of those folks before so at least we weren’t “strangers.” I sure need a haircut and my gal is off today. Ah, but she will be in next week and I will get shorn then. This computer is driving me bonkers. My cursor jumps up a few lines and types there and then I have to go up and delete it and put the cursor back where it belongs. Will took it back into the shop and the man said it was because I rested my wrists on the front edge and I DON’T for all that touches when I type are my finger tips. So I just don’t do much typing on this thing anymore. Anything Will wants typed I will do on his computer until we can afford to get me a new one. I have other “wants” so a computer will have to wait. Unless Will just surprises me with a new one. Why don’t they make them to last like they used to. Seems now days one has the life of one year just after the warrantee is over.

JEAN I hope your daughter found what she was shopping for and got out of there before the crowd got huge. There isn’t anything I want enough to go there at that hour. Maybe I am just getting old. I am sure you had fun with the kiddos.

SUSAN What fun for you to have those folks that dropped in. Isn’t it wonderful to reacquaint with folks. I have my fingers crossed for your weigh in that it is satisfactory.

Yikes it is half past noon already and I started typing an hour ago and sure didn’t get much typed. I do need a new computer.

Have a lovely day Magnolias.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! Ernie, Bob and I just got up from taking a nap! Beth left about an hour+ ago and we were tired! Her kids have a high level energy to say the least. She got up at 4 to go to WM; I woke up at 4:30 thinking I heard one of the kids downstairs but it must have been her leaving. She had a toy list and got everything she wanted. She said the store wasn't that crowded when she went in but was getting busier when she left.

I'm going to put the toy box back in order and then wash the back door window. The sun is out and every time the kids went in and out they put their hands on the glass. Between the dirty rain drops and the fingerprint smears it is a mess. It turned out to be a sunny nice day here.

Susan -- It was nice of your friends to stop in. I miss some of our friends from Ohio and wish we could all get together again for a reunion. Good luck at WW!

Maggie -- I feel for you having computer problems. It sounds like you had a fun day yesterday. I am not a shopper and hate the crowds so there is NO way I would go out today.

"Gma" -- Have a safe trip home!

Hope you all have a nice evening! I think I will have another nap!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #5  

Good morning, ladies! The sun is shining so I am happy.

I'm happy to say I'm down .8 this week at WW. There will be some minor changes to the program in December, including a weekly newsletter.

Maggie, that sounded like a lovely way to spend Thanksgiving. I've not had problems with Dell computers, including laptops at work the guys take when traveling and they last for years. They have really good prices at the Dell Outlet Store, but I'll bet there will be sales after Christmas when sales drop off. Right now they can sell a ton for gifts.

Jean, I'm glad Beth found everything she wanted. Nothing worse than gettin up before the crack of dawn for a big sale and having things sold out. Joann Fabrics website crashed yesterday morning and they still don't have it up. They are going to honor the coupons and sale info next week. I take that as a sign from God that I don't need to buy any more "stuff" there.

Have a great day!
Old 11-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #6  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining and there is NO wind for a change. It's supposed to be in the high 50s this afternoon and for the next few days. Crazy weather we've been having. Bob is messing with Christmas lights outside and I have laundry going. I feel like my main floor is one big sticky fingerprint! I do need to do some cleaning!

Susan -- Congrats on another loss at WW! It's hard to just hang in there around holiday time when everyone seems to be providing extra food wherever one goes. There used to be a fabric store chain called Herbergers (?) and they had a huge store in Sioux City. They closed many years ago, but they always had whatever one needed and couldn't find anywhere else. I just enjoy going in the stores and looking; as a kid I spent what seemed like many hours in fabric stores while my mom shopped!

I don't remember if I shared this, but my 'sister' made a quilted wall hanging for me as a retirement gift. Her husband made the hanger for it, and I got it Thanksgiving Day. Bob got it hung up this morning. It is really pretty and the colors she chose go well with my furniture. I have been with her when she picks out fabric -- none of which looks like it would go with anything in the same piece.

I do need to get busy and change laundry loads if nothing else. Enjoy your day today!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-28-2009, 12:48 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS
It looks like it is going to be a lovely day here in the heartland. I don’t have any plans for this day except to make a nice noodle soup with leftover turkey. Sounds to me. I think I will get out my little glass village pieces and figure wlere I’ll set it up this year. I do hope the kittens will not frolic in it. We will put lights on the fica tree again for that worked out fine last year and looked great.

JEAN Do you have those little blinking lights or the old traditional kind for outside? We have not yet decided what kind we will get this year. So happy for your daughers good success with her early morning shopping. Your quilt wall hanging sounds lovely.

SUSAN We have been thinking about a Dell. At the shop where they wokred on this they have a Dell set up with Windows 7 and other neat “stuff.” Thank you for your nice report on that brand for that helps me. I didn’t know much about that brand but now I feel confident in getting one.

Have a wonderful day folks. Type at y’all later

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #8  

Good afternoon, ladies! A nice sunny afternoon in the low 60s.

Glory and I had our Thanksgiving dinner yesterday and had a nice time. Today I'm working on my little Christmas quilt. Everyone in my bee is making the same one and we'll show them next Sunday at our party.

I have 3 locally grown sweet potatoes so I'll be baking one for my dinner and having some barbecued country-style ribs, coleslaw, and peas with it.

I hope everyone is having an enjoyable day.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:16 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's been a dark cloudy, "damp" feeling kind of day here. If it were colder I'd say we were in for some snow, but it's 38 degrees outside as I type. We went to church this morning and then headed for the lake. Bob had brought home the big garbage can when they closed up the cabin and he had a metal lawn chair that a client painted Oliver green with decals on it. He had it in his office but replaced it with the huge peace lily and decided it could go to the lake too. That is a dreary empty place this time of year! WM wasn't even busy so we did some Christmas toy shopping. Their WM is so much nicer than ours so it was fun to just wander around.

Maggie -- One of the gals I play cards with has a huge village that she sets up on saw horses and a long piece of plywood. She has 2 grown cats and they like to wander around and watch the moving parts of her village. Once in awhile they knock over a tree but she's never had anything broken. Good luck with yours! We have a 4' lighted Santa standing between 2 small white lit Christmas trees outside. We have a bigger tree in the yard that Bob wraps tiny colored lights around the trunk and then the lower branches. It has grown so much that he has to use a ladder and only does the bottom row of branches. It looks festive driving down the street since our cat hating neighbors put out lights and so does the guy on the other side of them.

Faye should be on her way home today!

Susan -- How big is your Christmas quilt and what colors did you choose? Your dinner menu sounds yummy! I'm glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving with Glory.

I have dishes out of my very top kitchen cupboard -- odds 'n ends of dishes that were my grandma's and my mom's. An antique guy is coming to take a look tomorrow afternoon; he's the marijuana growing teacher who has started a master gardener plant and antique business in his remodeled barn. He also collects live cats . . . has 6 that were strays and I talked him into taking them because I had them pretty much tamed. So I need to wash the dust off the dishes and put away what I want to save.

Have a nice "rest of the day" and a marvelous Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #10  

Good morning ladies. Yes, I am home all safe and sound with the washer and dryer running and me having torn out 3/4 of a sock and starting over as the needle size I used made the pattern of the yarn all higgledy piggledy and it looked awful. The sock leg was hunks of color then when I got to doing the heel, it did striping so then it did this crazy pattern and the three looked awful so I just tore the whole thing out and am going down a needle size. I knitted a swatch and I am getting stripes so it should be ok now. Don't think she is going to get them Wed, but I will try my best with all the other stuff I need to do.

I can't say we had a spectacular time. Jack's hip bursitis flared up and he was in a lot of pain most of the time. It went into his back and he didn't sleep and I was having a problem with the cramping so it wasn't the greatest, but we had fun with the kids and the grandones enjoyed opening presents and such. We will have Christmas Eve with t and he will get all his presents then, but we took a couple with us. He LOVED his socks and ask for more, so I will try and get one more pair made for him before Christmas if I can squeeze it in, he liked his sweater but is is wayyyyyy too big, as are his new jeans, which I will just take back. I offered to take apart the sweater and shorten the sleeves and the body, but she said no he will grow into it.

Jackson's sweaters fit fine though won't for long as he is growing too fast. His little socks were a great success and he walked around saying, "Nonny's socks, Nonny's socks." lol

We have my niece coming in three weeks so this weekend is shampooing carpets, moving furniture and getting a tree and getting the decorations up. My boys made me each an ornament out of those wooden beads kids play with then a beautiful huge wreath. Kelly and Alicia took and did a bazillion cutouts of each boys hands on green and red glittered felt type of paper and glued them on a wreath frame then Alicia decorated the rest with pine cones, fake presents, etc. I absolutely adore it and nothing better than getting things the boys made for me.

I have a dr appt on Wed and she is gonna kill me. I gained like 8 lbs in the last 2 1/2 weeks. We didn't have diet friendly food and I ate junk I shouldn't have even though I tried to temper breakfast and lunch abit, so I will just have to tell her we are back on WW and I will lose it and all the rest now that Thanksgiving is over. Pub style food is never WW friendly and we went to one of their favorite hangouts more than once. Ahh well, I put it in my mouth they didn't and I will get it back off again.

I won't do replies but did read all about your holidays and it sounded like you all had nice ones. Glad to be back among my favorite ladies though. Rainy and cold here today! Have a good Monday.
Faye

Last edited by gma22; 11-30-2009 at 07:37 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #11  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly but it is cold outside at 32 degrees! "Someone" came and drank most of the water in the bird bath last night -- probably deer although they didn't eat any of the squirrels' corn. I volunteered to cover in the church office this afternoon. I'll take magazines along since other than answering the phone I probably won't have anything to do. Mondays are pretty quiet I think.

"Gma" -- Welcome home! We missed you while you were gone, but knew you were enjoying time with your family. I'm sorry Jack didn't feel the best while you were gone. I'm sure riding in the car didn't help any either. I usually never sleep as well in a strange place until the night before we are ready to head home. Who is getting the next pair of socks that you took apart? You do have patience! You will have the extra pounds off in no time once you are back on track again. I'm sure your doctor understands and holiday time is hard no matter how hard one tries.

I have laundry going and need to pick up the clutter. I never did get the Sunday paper read so may just sit down with another cup of coffee and do that first. Have a nice day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #12  

Good evening, ladies! A rainy evening.

I had a good day today at work, went to Curves and then after dinner I'll go to bible study.

Jean - Your decorations sound lovely. We have a lot of houses that decorate to the hilt and then there is me with wreaths on the shutters and door and my little tree in the window with poinsettas.

Faye - I'm glad you had a safe trip and enjoyed the boys. I'll be a lot of those 8 pounds are water weight and will come right off. Drink lots of water and cut back on salt for a few days. I'm sorry Jack's bursitis flared up - I'm sure the long drive didn't help.

Hi, Maggie!

Have a good evening!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #13  

Good morning to you all! I typed good morons to you all at first! Looks like it is going to be sunny and cool here this morning. I noticed the landscapers finally picked up all the leaves while we were gone. We can now blow out the next pile! We don't have much as most of the tree has shed now and our neighbors get some of the mess poor things.

Well, I ordered a pair of jeans, a knit top, a camisole with matching hoodie and a cute crossbody handbag for Ruth this morning so all I have to do is get her a little gift card (I am thinking Itunes she can download to her Ipod) and I am done. I still have some stuff to get for Thomas and a gift for Tom's parents as we always exchange with them and then Christmas is done again. I did order more sock yarn and am going to try and get one more pair of socks for T done since he loved them so. I ask him what colors he would like and he started spouting, "blue, green, orange, red, NO pink or purple!" When I made his sweater he wanted an orange one and I thought with his hair but socks, that is another story so here is the yarn I got. Pretty wild, huh?

Jean: I am making a pair of socks for my dr for Christmas in that cartoon yarn I showed you guys. It is coming out pretty cool. Drs need a little color in their lives I think! I guess I am too much of a perfectionist as I just didn't like the globs of color all ganged up together on the socks then the heels striped because you aren't knitting them in the round. Knitting has definitely taught me huge amounts of patience. You should take up knitting it goes with you anywhere!

Susan: The dr office called and had to reschedule me so maybe I may get it all back off. I noticed I did swell a lot on this trip so you may be right part may be water weight gain. I am ready to go back gangbusters and get WW working again.

Guess I better get up off my bum and get the laundry in the dryer. I have all my other chores done and hallelujah everything from the trip is back in its place, all the laundry is done and put away and all is well in my world until this weekend when we shampoo carpets and put up the Christmas decor.

Have a wonderful Tuesday all! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: png 24355.png (45.2 KB, 4 views)
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #14  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining in my corner of the world and it is supposed to be the last of our "warmer" days as we head into the 20s and 30s for temperatures. I've got to pick up the clutter; hopefully the guy will come today and take all of my dishes sitting on the island. I need to run a couple errands that I didn't get done yesterday and write a couple sympathy cards for Bob.

Susan -- Hope you have a good day at work today! (. . . and everyday for that matter)

"Gma" -- The yarn is very pretty! I'm sure the doctor will appreciate your thoughtfulness. I think more and more people must be wearing "interesting" socks judging from what I see in the stores. I have several pair with cats on them and the kids always made some comment when I wore them to school. I need to do another load of laundry this morning too.

Happy December 1st to all of you gals. Where did November go? Have a terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 12-01-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #15  

Good morning, ladies! The sun is out this morning but it is in the low 40s.

Faye, I have that yarn! I love it. I bought it to make a pair of socks for myself. I just need to get busy and do it. Quilting always gets my time first. To gain 8 pounds you would need to eat 28,000 calories over what you need. I'm sure its a lot of water. I have a hard time buying some of the neat socks they have now because they are too stretchy and/or have elastic around the top that is too tight since my legs have been swelling.

Jean, the year is almost over. It went by so fast. Time seems to accelerate as you get older.

Hi, Maggie!

Have a good day.