Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #1  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Default You asked about the pain of abdominoplasty....

As you can see in the picture, Thighs be gone, the incision runs from the Sternum to the pubic bone and, as the Surgeon put it, "from table to table". AND they tied together the ab muscles. (more painful then you might think) It's been called, by many online, the surgeon, and his support staff, the most extensive reconstructive surgery they do for those who have had massive weight loss. I tell people that I've had the front of me removed and that is NOT an exaggeration! the piece they removed was 24 inches wide and 12 inches high. They pulled the sides of me around to the front then all of that down to the pubic bone and cut off the excess.

The pain was horrid!! I am a recovering drug addict and I've been clean for 18 years. After all of the surgeries I’ve had...inflamed rectal polyp removal...Gaul bladder removal and GBP, I didn't take any of the pain meds they gave me when I went home from the hospital. I toughed it out for the sake of my recovery. NOT THIS TIME!! I took them, in fact, I took the full dose of Oxicodone for a week and a half afterwards. Until I could stand being awake enough to get off of them. It was a difficult transition to let go the drugs but it still was worth risking my recovery the pain was that bad.

I had to relearn how to cough, how to sleep, how to get up, how to laugh, I still fear sneezing.

I will never voluntarily do it again...I will learn to love my saggy arms, my breasts are not that bad and my thighs, though saggy, will be just fine!

I hope that who ever is thinking of plastics realizes that it's not to save your life...it improves it...but it's not necessary. Think long and hard about it.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 11-24-2009 at 01:16 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:22 AM   #2  
Pertnear Domestic Goddess

S/C/G: 250/133/125 RNY5/11/09

Height: 5'3

Thank you for being so open and candid,I know for me after seeing your great results I was tempted to schedule a consult with a surgeon. But now it makes me really think about the reality of surgery. Thanks again
GinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:33 PM   #3  

As a nurse I have heard this story over and over again. I am so glad you were willing to be honest about the post-op recovery period. I had a coworker who had the same procedure and told me that she felt like she had to downplay the pain because it was an "elective" procedure. Glad you had good results!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:26 AM   #4  
Escape from my fat suit

S/C/G: 290/210/130

Thank you for your honest account. I know each surgery type and person is different, since we all have different pain thresholds. It is odd to me that many of the people that I've read about having these types of proceedures done usually claim minimal pain.

If you could afford it, how much time would you recommend taking off from work?

You look great. It looks perfect.

Last edited by better health3; 11-25-2009 at 01:28 AM.
better health3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:59 AM   #5  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

My pain tolerance is high. I gave birth with minimal intervention...I belted 3rd level in 2 martial arts...I toughed out all the pain of post-op for 3 surgeries...(the rectal surgery became infected and was very painful)...This is so much worse.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #6  
Excited about my new life

S/C/G: 348/256/190

Height: 5'8"

Your tummy looks amazing. I am so glad that you were so honest about the procedure. I was seriously considering having a breast lift and having someting done to my thighs that are saggy now. I know that any surgery is serious but your post made me rethink my decision. I am still considering it, but with more caution. All and all you look wonderful and I hope that your pain subsides.
worthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have a high pain tolerance and I dread any surgical procedure. I need to get rid of some of this excess weight to see how much of the excess skin I can live with. I really liked the idea of your surgery but I'm wondering if there would be something less painful? Oh well, we'll see, I'm still a bit too heavy for any skin removal surgery.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote