South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 11-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default Thanksgiving while on Phase 1 (or even, 1.5/2)

I know we have the phase 1 threads and stuff and the OP plans for all phases but I thought since the holidays were coming up really soon a thread for Thanksgiving was in order? I'm sure I'm not the only one who is having questions.

We are staying home, which is good, because too many temptations at my grandma's house. He's having conflicts with his mom so even better, another way to avoid more temptation.

Here are some of my ideas to try to stay on phase 1:

* Turkey breast. We already agreed upon me just making turkey breast, he doesn't like dark meat anyway.

* Gravy I'll make a turkey broth for extra flavor with spices and no flour. Will make actual gravy for husband & son.

* Mashed potatoes- I'll make mashed cauliflower for all three of us, make mashed potatoes for them, and avoid the mashed potatoes which is not a problem for me when mashed cauliflower is around. Mmm mm.

* Cranberry sauce- hate it, will buy a can for them, not a temptation since I hate it.

I'll also make broccoli with cheese, a long time thanksgiving favorite in my family. Reduced fat cheese, of course.

I'm having problems with stuffing... does anyone know any sort of replacement to make that is OP with Phase 1? I know there are flourless muffins and stuff. DH has to have stuffing. I'm wondering if there's a way I can make something different but still similar that'll keep me OP because Stove Top brand stuffing is something I crave.

Desserts... I am really craving my pumpkin. Would making my own pumpkin pie without a crust and splenda really be so bad?? I'm weighing the options. What do you guys think? Any ideas or tips or recipes?

Almond crusts? Can you really make one by smashing almonds with a rolling pin? Just read this online but not sure how it'll work?

Part of me is saying indulge since it will be thanksgiving afterall, the other part is screaming no, no, no, come up with a OP way!! That's why I need help. I feel that I've combatted one problem, controlling what will be served since I'm the one doing the cooking. But I fear my cravings will steer me in the wrong direction.

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 11-21-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Hey Mel You are really planning things out this time. Looks like you've got the basics for a nice meal. We are doing simple at home too. It's nice sometimes.

As far as the dessert I think you have to stick to it for the two weeks. You can always plan a yummy pumpkin dessert for Christmas and every other Thanksgiving for ever but this year I'd let it go. I know I don't need to tell you how important it is to do a clean Phase 1. I bet there's some kind of good dessert we can come up with that is Phase 1 friendly. Have you looked through the Phase 1 dessert recipes? I'm going to scan them now
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #3  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

You're right, Cyndi! I sat here and thought about it... I could have pumpkin when I start phase 2, and phase 2 won't be too long after Thanksgiving, so I could get my pumpkin fix then. I checked out the phase 1 desserts and I think I'm gonna try either the cheesecake or finally the chocolate bean brownies. I haven't tried the brownies yet and I think it's high time that I do.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote