Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #1  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Default Help a lazy stay-at-home mommy sloth find a simple exercise program for her...

Yes I said it, I'm a complete, utter sloth! I could waste hours away sitting on myspace or facebook.

I am a mother of a busy toddler. I have moved to a place where I live right on the highway... a busy highway... I can't just up and stick him in the stroller and take him for walks. I am horrified of what could happen. There is no sidewalks.

I have no privacy, my husband is doing stay-at-home computer repair so I can't (or won't) let loose and dance, plus I don't have an opportunity to listen to music unless he's not around. He hates my music and I hate his and we try to respect eachother by not playing our music.

I don't have an MP3player, because we are broke! That will be an option soon though hopefully.

I am really lazy and find it difficult to just do strengthening exercises, they seem too hard and blah blah blah.

Can anyone help me come up with an exercise plan geared to an absolute sloth like myself? I know I have a lot of 'cant's and won't's. Work with me! Lol.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Well, there aren't really programs that are designed for sloths vs experienced lifters when it comes to working out home with no equipment.

You are going to have to get over the lazyness! Perhaps a workout DVD would suit you? There are quite a few in the fitness video section. You may want to start out with resistance bands for now and move towards dumbbells or even a barbell when you progress.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Does your toddler nap? or sleep later than you? or go to sleep before you?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

If your husband is at home why can't he watch your kid while you go out for a jog or something?

I agree with getting some aerobics DVD's, and if you have cox cable or something a lot of times in their on demand section the freezone has workout DVD's you can use.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:50 PM   #5  
I Really Want To Lose 50

S/C/G: 229/179/150

I would suggest the Firm DVD program, but if you can't purchase try starting with some jumping jacks, squats, lunges, crunches or sit ups, push ups,and dips. Try doing three round of each and I bet you will feel like you really did something.
Equinata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #6  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

I second the workout dvd! I think its a great choice for someone with no equipment that stays home.

My sister and I use to do hip hop abs and my neices, 2 & 4, would just jump around and dance. So it could be something you and your toddler could do for fun....while you get a great workout in! =)

Hope youre able to find something you enjoy!
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Public libraries usually have DVD sections with fitness videos. That way you can try different ones out for free.

Also, if you live in a house or complex how about walking "laps" around the building/house? That way you'd be out of road and still getting exercise. I think there are also walking videos where you walk in place.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #8  
Eye of the Tiger!

S/C/G: 205/175/146

Height: 5'10

I can totally relate to having the ability to waste hours doing basically nothing. I think the biggest obstacle you have to over come is to realize that you are stronger than you believe, you sound scared of working out and making the change, so it is easy to come up with excuses not to. I can also relate with the feeling of not wanting to work out and have others see you, even your hubby! I do The Biggest Loser Cardio Max dvd and the other day I was getting ready to work out in the living room and my hubby was just standing there waiting for me to start... I was thinking 'oh no I can't work out i front of him...'. I turned around and asked "Are you going to work out with me?!" "uh... no." "Ok then you are going to have to get outta here!" I htink if you let your husband know what you are thinking, maybe he caan give you some time alone.
My workout partner is my 2 and a half year old daughter, she jumps around with me and I taught her to say "GO MOMMY GO" "DONT STOP!" She yells at me while working out and we have a good time!
I hope this helped a lil bit!
wannabeahotmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #9  
I Really Want To Lose 50

S/C/G: 229/179/150

Wannabeahotmama, That is too cute that you have a 2 year old trainer. It must be fun.

Equinata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:26 PM   #10  
Healthy mommy

S/C/G: 246/235/150

Height: 5'8 3/4

Does your toddler nap? or sleep later than you? or go to sleep before you?- SusanB

Yep, he goes to sleep before me and he naps. I guess that would be the perfect time to get off of my butt and exercise, I see your point.

If your husband is at home why can't he watch your kid while you go out for a jog or something?- beerab

He is a computer repair tech and can't have our very active and wild toddler getting inside the innards of other people's computers.

I like everyone's idea of doing a workout DVD, I have done leslie sansone in the past and it was very simple and uncomplicated, perfect for a lazy clutz like me!

Equinox, I have done the Firm vids before, my mom has them, they were way too choreographed for someone clumsy and uncoordinated like me. But I have done pushups and crunches and etc before and I don't see why I can't start them back up again, when my baby boy is sleeping.

Wannabeahotmamma, look at your pic! You ARE a hot momma! And I totally relate to what you were saying. I guess I'll just have to give the husband the heads up and make him go into his 'office'!

Okay, guys, so I guess the best thing for this sloth to do is A) find an exercise vid that I can actually do, B) attempt a few crunches and pushups and whatnot each day, and C) do this while my boy is asleep.

I'm gonna have to do it, either way. I knew there was no magic formulas for exercise but I just figured I'd ask, LOL!

Thanks everyone, everyone's posts were very helpful.

Last edited by Fat Melanie; 11-19-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Fat Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:27 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

I can be a sloth also, I have to sometimes talk myself into getting on the treadmill and going that 30 minutes. After the treadmill I have a series of leg and ab exercises that I do which I also have to talk myself into doing at times. The one thing that I have noticed is that on the days that I do not exercise I feel guilty, like I have let myself down. You need to get to that point where the same thing happens to you, it really does not take long...maybe a couple of weeks.

Make the time for yourself because you are worth it!
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Okay, guys, so I guess the best thing for this sloth to do is A) find an exercise vid that I can actually do, B) attempt a few crunches and pushups and whatnot each day, and C) do this while my boy is asleep.
May I propose a D) Use more positive self talk, you've called yourself a sloth several times, you're not a sloth, your a mother and no mother is a sloth IMHO.... You've also called yourself a lazy clutz, just keep at it and eventually you'll get better practice makes perfect and if that cute little toddler of yours see you trying over and over again and then succeeding, he'll do the same too when he learns something new...We all know you can do this Melanie, you've done it before, and you ARE definitely worth it, for that toddler of yours, to be healthy and strong....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #13  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Can you afford a mommy & me swimming class? sometimes these are done in a water aerobics type setup. I take my daughter to family swimming...when she was younger she loved to hang on my neck & I paddled around with her clinging to me...great exercise.

Can you find a website/book that has exercises incorporating the child? Maybe that might be an interesting way to incorporate movement and entertaining the child. I would think that laying on your back and doing the old "airplane" with the baby on your knees would be a hilarious way to do crunches and sooo entertaining for the baby. likewise, carefully (for your back) lifting the child would be a great core/arm exercise. Sitting and lifting the child sitting on your feet while holding his hands would be a good leg exercise...bouncing him on your knees, etc. Carrying her on your back, your shoulders, holding him on your hip while swaying...these are all ways to MOVE while holding your child. You could try a sling if he is too heavy....

Last edited by weebleswobble; 11-21-2009 at 08:12 PM.
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote