General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Smile Childhood Memories - Good Ones!

I have been here long enough to know that many of the folks here did not have great childhoods. I am sorry for that

But I think all of us have some good memories of our past...meaningful ones...silly ones...

I will share some with you....here is one...

My dad has been gone for 20+ years now...but I still think of him sometimes when I comb my hair...ok...the little hair I have left ...I can still remember him holding my chin up as he combed my hair up in a wave using Brylcreem...a little dab will do ya...gotta be old to remember that

How about you....some memories you want to share?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Having tea and bread with my Grandpa. I was his favorite grand-child, at least he doted on me like I was. Unfortunately Papa died in 1993.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #3  
Back on Track 2 Healthy

S/C/G: 270/254.4/Healthy

Height: 5 feet Tall

When I was little my dad would use the company station wagon and bring home a little blue plastic swimming pool for me on my birthday - May 31st

Cathy
cathydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #4  
Taking care of me.

My Grandmother (we called her Mama) was a real country woman when it came to cooking and such.

I used to love for winter to come so I could catch a cold - Mama made the the best hot toddies with honey, lemon juice, and Old Granddad whiskey - yes we kids got alcohol.

She also made corn cob wine YUM. My youngest brother and I used to wait for Saturday when our Dad would take her to the market - then we would raid those wine jugs under the kitchen sink. Sometimes we put water in it so the level was right. Little did we know that the taste DID NOT improve with the water. Unfortuneately, we didn't get along so I didn't learn from her the things I now wish I had - including how to make the wine.

Last edited by MoveMoveMove; 11-19-2009 at 10:22 PM.
MoveMoveMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

When we moved into our neighborhood it was surrounded an all sides by woods, slowly one subdivision after another was put in around us. Construction sites/vacant houses are the most fun hangouts ever!
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:35 PM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Yes they are ACLAI...

and the cardboard boxes the water heaters and stuff came in...

we lived in Yuma, ARZ for a while when I was around 10...back yard was the dessert...but building houses all around us...us kids would get those boxes and make tents out of them...so much fun
Old 11-20-2009, 12:26 AM   #7  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Every weekend I stayed at my gran and grandpa's house.

I enjoyed it so much. My gran was the best baker. She would bake every Saturday. I wish I had those recipes. They were all in her head. On Saturday nights their friends would come to the house and play cards. I eventually got old enough that they would let me play as well. We would play for money. Minimal ammounts.

Great memories.

Things were so different back then. I wish my children could experience it.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:07 AM   #8  
Call me Finki =)

S/C/G: 400/300/155

Height: 5'6"

I am only going on 33, but my Father was born in 1922. I have soooo many good memories and lessons from his way of life that I thought I could have a say and jump in on this one. One of my earliest and fondest memories is of my Father's black metal lunch box. You know the kind that have the dome lid, hinged at the back and have the two shiny metal latches in front. He had this lunch box from my first memory. Mother would prepare his lunch every night and he would get up and carefully pack it himself from the refrigerator each morning. I still remember, sandwich on white, fruit, ice tea in the thermos and ALWAYS something sweet(usually a candy bar). Every evening when he returned home, the lunch box held a little treat just for us, half of a sandwich, piece of fruit, or most often a half of a candy bar.
Such good times were my childhood. This has been a fun post for me and I could go on ALL night about mine. Thank you for reminding me. My Father passed about 7 years ago now and he was my best friend.
Gelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:53 AM   #9  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

when i was really little we lived in American Samoa- we got a new refrigerator and my mom and aunt and grandma (we all lived together in a big house) made the box it came in into a play house for me. They went all out- sewed curtains for the windows, i lived in that freaking thing! It was so awesome.
i have a lot of good memories of us all together, I was the only child in the family for a long time so i had a doting aunt and uncle and grandparents along with my parents- i was one spoiled kid!
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:11 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

I lived on a cul-de-sac growing up. On the edge of the back yard was a creek and beyond that was woods. It was the perfect setting to grow up. I had 5 older siblings, and my neighbors had 5 kids all in our age range. I remember one fall day, all 11 of us, in our back yard trying to see who could catch the most leaves. At that point our ages ranged from 3 to 16, so maybe the older kids didn't really enjoy it, but I was the 4 year old in the bunch, and it remains my favorite memory from childhood.
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:19 AM   #11  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

My sister and I both LOVED the legend of Zelda video games. Every other year or so, they would come out with a new one... and my sister and I would spend HOURS on the days right after christmas trying to beat them. we'd take turns, and we'd talk about strategy together, and where to go.

I was never into video games, but that one always got me.

Also, sitting at the kids table at Thanksgiving at my Gram
s house. That was the best.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #12  

Height: 5'11"

When I was a small child, I was horse crazy. I wanted one in the worst way, but we lived in town. But when I was in second grade, we moved to a place that had an orchard and an old shed. That January, my first grade teacher (who was an eccentric lady who took to carrying a chicken around in a picnic basket when she got older) called my parents and said that she had a pony named Charlee (she was a girl) that we could care for and ride if we wanted. So in the middle of January, when the ground is rock-solid, my dad went out in the night and pounded metal fenceposts into the ground to make a corral so that Charlee could come to live with us. Getting the pony was awesome and it led to years of happiness with other ponies and horses, but the best part of the memory is my Dad out there in the dark, pounding those metal fenceposts into the frozen ground so that his little girl could have the pony she always wanted. It still makes me tear up today.

My dad is such a great guy. I'm so lucky.

Last edited by Windchime; 11-20-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #13  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

By the time my dad was 26 and my mom 24 there were 4 of us kids...me the oldest. When I was 9-12, and playing Little League my dad would work longs hours in his drywall business so that he was able to get home in time to get me to my games or meet me there, with my mom and siblings, if the coach took me. He never missed a game.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:36 PM   #14  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

When I was a little kid, the house I grew up in had a forced-air furnace with vents in the floors. In the winter when I was playing outside, my mom would put a set of dry clothes over the heat vent, so that when I came in and changed out of the wet stuff, I could put on hot dry clothes. Heaven! I do the same thing for DS10 when the weather gets cold.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #15  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Wow, this thread is very emotional for me for some reason.

I was just thinking about my Granny Ruby yesterday.
She had a small farm and we could run around, fly kites, pick vegetables in the garden, sit on the porch swing and watch the cars go by.
Good times. I miss her alot!
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote