Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 12:53 PM   #1  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

Default exercise

Hi Lily Rose,

If you want to know what sort of exercise is best then I can probably help. I'll give you general info and, if you want more detail, specific to YOU then I will try to help.

Firstly, this is what I do for a living, so I do know what I am talking about. If you combine the nitty gritty details I give you with the personal experiences you'll find on this site, you'll soon find a way of working that suits you just fine!

To lose weight you need to rebalance your food and exercise amounts. You need to burn off more calories than you eat. This is weght loss at its most simple (ha ha!).

What sort of exercise? Any!!! Do what you like, that way you'll stand a better chance of doing more of it more often. But a combination of both aerobic and resistance work is best. This way you get to 'burn off' thise calories and condition you heart and lungs AND you get to increase you muscle mass and therefore burn more calories even when you are sitting down!

How often? Well start off slowly. Stay commited to what you can do easily. Don't start off promising to do 1/2 hour a day, every day - you'll never make it, and every time you miss a session you'll feel bad. Try 1 or 2 times a week, then build it up!

How hard? Not very - no pain no gain, NOT REALLY. You will experience some discomfort, especially if you haven't done much exercise of the past few years. Your body and brain need time to adjust. But you should work at a level that leaves you able to talk, and a little warmer than you started. That's it. As you get fitter your body will let you know how much more it can do.

I hope that helped a bit. If I carry on writing I'll finish the book - sorry!

Get back to me if you want more info.

Stef
Old 12-17-2002, 02:24 PM   #2  

Thanks for the info
I like yoga,rollerblading and swimmimg.Swimming is out of the question right now,too cold.I like to walk too just not alone.I like doing physical things but I just don't like to do them by myself.I know that is not a very good excuse but that is what usually stops my progress.As for the eating part,my boyfriend says that I don't eat enough and worries about me but I must be eating plenty if I am not losing any weight.I think that some days I don't eat very much and then other days I pig out so it all evens out.
Any help would be great.
Have a great day.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:52 PM   #3  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

Default Try a diary

Unfortunately the best advice I can give is quite boring. Every time I say this I get my head bitten off. The conversation goes something like this:

Me: Why don't you keep a food and activity diary for a week or so...?

Client: Why should I. I know what I eat. Do you think I don't? Anyway I tried that years ago and it didn't work.

Me: No, no. What I meant was lets have a look and see just where you aren't eating enough and where you are eating too much. You might not be eating a lot but you may be depending on one sort of food, like carbs, for your fuel. That might be why you keep the weight. It also helps me design a good exercise programmme for you. I can do best if I know when you are most active and most fuelled.

Client: mumble grumble....

The results are startling and very predictable. All clients who refuse to do the diary struggle to balance their food and exercise. Those who do so honestly find it is really suprising. Especially when they themsleves can start to see patterns in their eating they hadn't seen, or didn't want to. They also get a kick out of being able to second guess me and tell me what I was going to tell them.

Now I am not a qualified nutritionist but I do have enough quals in health and exercise sciences to be able to interpret eating habits and help people make sensible choices. I'd be happy to help you. I don't write diets. I give sensible eating advice and I do write exercise programmes for unfit and overweight people. So feel free to pick my brains. I'll help as much as I can.

Try my e-mail if you don't want to go public

[email protected]

Stef
Old 12-18-2002, 02:04 PM   #4  

I will try a diary.
Today I have a really bad headache so I probably won't exercise today,I will wait until tomorrow.
I think that I will try to do some yoga tomorrow.
Closed Thread