Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 07:53 AM   #1  

Default may just try to maintain until jan 1st-need help

Hi,

I'm not doing too well by staying on program lately. I think I may just try to maintain until January first. The more I pressure myself to be "perfect" the worse I seem to do.

I realized that I don't know how to maintain weight-I'm either trying to lose weight, or in the "I don't care, I'm going to eat what I want " mode.

Any advice? I don't want to go nuts and gain back the ten pounds I've lost, but I'm too stressed to "diet" right now...

I also want to do some baking, but will need to give most of it away, or I will gain back EVERY lost pound...I have NO willpower with sweets.

Sherry
Old 12-16-2002, 02:31 PM   #2  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Suzie -

Hi friend!! Sorry, but I am the LAST person to be giving any advice in the weight loss department right now. My only advice is Moderation.
Old 12-16-2002, 02:36 PM   #3  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

You could be like me & get the flu. You won't want to look at food.

But that is not healthy. For healthy, I say, keep your water near you & at least try for your water goal. If you are baking, a "taste" is ok, but plan out what you're going to taste & make sure you savor it.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

you could try the signup at http://www.calorieking.com and select "maintenance" instead of weight loss. it may be able to give you a guideline.

i don't REALLY know cuz i'm still losing. always trying to lose, in fact. someday i'll be to the point of maintaining!!
Old 12-16-2002, 05:54 PM   #5  

I too am just trying to miantain until after the 1st. I think that as long as you remember moderation, you will be fine. Eat a little bit before you hit the parties, so you won't be as hungry.
Good luck.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:39 PM   #6  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I think it is because it is that time of the year where there are so many goodies around that it is so hard to resist. I gave up trying to resist because it has been such a stressful month for me. I've been trying to finish off these school courses, Drake has been sick all the time it seem like and I've been working a lot too. The next 2 weeks I will be working tons. I don't think we should just give up completely and dive into a box of chocolates, there's a line between binging and giving ourselves a break. I don't think I will gain but I'm certain I won't lose! I have big plans for next year so I'm not going to worry too much about the next 2 weeks.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:50 PM   #7  
hot mom wanna be!

When I dont care about losing but dont want to gain, I still keep a mental note about how many calories I've eaten that day. I wont allow myself to go over a certain amount say 2500. When I try to lose I dont go over 2000. Right now I am losing really well because I am only eating around 1400! I dont want to maintain I want to lose! I am only half way to my goal!!
good luck!!
laura
313/237/160
only 37 to 200!!
Old 12-17-2002, 03:02 PM   #8  

Maintaining a loss through the holidays (or any time!) *IS* a success. Don't get down on yourself just because you can't lose over Christmas!
Old 12-18-2002, 09:45 AM   #9  

I am kind of in limbo right now. Not losing nor gaining (I hope!). Keeping my water and not going all out. Had my xmas party here at work yesterday. I had a piece of cheese cake. But that was it, no cookies, and chocolates and just one helping at lunch, and no bread. And chugged my water. Just trying to survive this holiday without a 10 lb gain, which we all know is very possible.

Old 12-18-2002, 11:04 AM   #10  
Jo
Catatonic

Smile Maintaining is good!

Especially at this time of year. I don't know if I'm a good one to give advice (considering I'm just getting over a four-day binge ), but my best tips for maintaining are:

1) Try to "sneak" in exercise (this is the one where you park farther away from the store than you usually would, take the stairs instead of the elevator, etc.) It sounds corny, but it does work. When I was unable to do "real" (read sustained) exercise, I did these and they really helped me get into better shape.

2) Eat slowly. I've read that it takes something like 20 minutes for the signal from your stomach that says it's full to reach your brain. I don't know if that's true, but I personally do tend to go from "starved" to "overstuffed" without realizing it if I'm not eating slowly enough.

3) Drink water. It will help flush out toxins, plus it helps you feel full.

4) Just realized I forgot this one Don't skip meals! I'm always tempted to do that when I know I'm going to a party that will have food, but it just sets me up for a binge. (I'm too hungry, there's all that good food . . . a recipe for disaster ).

I hope that these help you and that you have a nice, stress-free holiday

TTYL,

Jo
341/269/135 (?)

Last edited by Jo; 12-18-2002 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:32 PM   #11  
Losin It For GOOD!

These are all GREAT tips - thanks so much for sharing girls!!!
Old 12-18-2002, 09:14 PM   #12  

Hi,

thank you all for your suggestions and encouragement! I'm afraid to get on the scale. I KNOW I've gained.

I think I'm going to go back on my "healthy eating plan" on 12/26 instead of 1/1/03. That's five less days of being out of control (I need major damage control)

Take care,
Sherry
Closed Thread