Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 04:44 PM   #1  

Unhappy Scale hasn't moved yet....

Hi everyone. I am new to this board and I am hoping for some advice. I have been exercising for 5 weeks now. I have been doing this for 5 to 7 days each week. Each time lasts at least 1 hour and sometimes I go twice in one day( I use the YMCA). The problem I am having is that the scale is not moving what so ever. I am getting very frustrated. My husband and best friend say they see a big change in my butt,however I do not see it and my jeans aren't exactly telling me much. Why is the scale not moving. Now I know I am gaining muscle and that weighs more, but come on. I have also been cutting back on what I am eating. I do not hit the drive thru more than once a week. And if I do it is usually on pizza night. I just don't understand it. I feel much better about myself from going but that doesn't help me from feeling frustrated over this. Help, your advice is much needed.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:39 AM   #2  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

1st rule: DON'T PANIC

I am in my 4th year of trying to lose size (I gave up on losing weight, you see).

About 4 years ago I was about a size 28 (US) and I weighed 204lbs.

Now I am a size 14/16 (US) and I still weigh 200lbs.

Then I worked in an office and did no exercise and eat anything that didn't run away fast enough. Now I am a sport and exercise science lecturer and group fitness leader. I teach about 12 exercise classes per week (the equivalent of doing about 6 classes per week). ANd I still eat anything that doens't make a run for it!

Stick with the tight jeans measurement technique and you will see changes. If your DH notices you bum has changed then it must have - mine wouldn't necessarily notice if my left leg fell off!

Good luck, Stef
Old 12-14-2002, 04:27 PM   #3  

Thank you for your help. I am a size 18 and weigh 212. I can not wait to lose "size". Your comment is an inspiration and has helped me to keep focused and motivated. I will not give up and I will go again tomorrow and burn some more of my tail off. -grin-
Old 12-16-2002, 05:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Definitely don't give up! You've already done so much work!

A few years back, I lost quite a bit of weight (which I'm trying re-lose!) and it took over a month of hard exercise (hard for me at least, lol) and watching what I ate to start losing. One thing I did was get a personal trainer (2 sessions) to take a look at the exercises I was doing... she told me I wasn't working out at a high enough level or with enough variation. So I started taking step & kickboxing classes, as well as strength training twice per week and the weight started coming off.

Best of luck to you, ButtonBarker!
Old 12-23-2002, 08:34 AM   #5  

The scale is such a horrible thing! I say that because we become so obsessed with it, and it ends up just depressing us if it doesn't do what we want.

I say keep up the good work on the exercising, take a closer look at WHAT you're eating ... just cutting back can work, but perhaps you need to do some tweaking -- like do you eat too many sweets, not enough protein, overwhelmed with starchy foods, etc. And make sure you're drinking plenty of water!

Good luck!
Pen
265/214.5/150ish
Old 01-05-2003, 12:49 AM   #6  

No worries.......It will fall if your doing the right things and watching what your eating and excercising. Sometimes it will stick and hold for a while, but just hold your head high and do what your doing...........then one day it will start to drop and it will continue as long as you do for a while.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

Toss the scale!!!!

Seriously, that's the best piece of advice I can give you. The only time I get weighed is when I visit my docotor for my annual physical. I would judge your progress by how you feel and how your clothes fit. If you keep up the regular exercise (both cardio and strength training..both are critical to your success) you WILL make progress.

Please don't give up. You deserve to be healthy. Good Luck!
Old 01-11-2003, 07:49 PM   #8  

I agree with you on tossing the scales.

I have been exercising for about 3 years, lots of riding my bike and walking and I have gone down a full size in most of my clothes and even less depending on the size.

I can really notice a big difference, but the scale has not gone down at all in about 3 years.

So I am like you I go by my clothes and I keep exercising and I feel very good when I do a lot of exercising.

Suzanne
Old 01-12-2003, 10:27 AM   #9  

It seems to me that the scale should move somewhat. My clothing size hasn't changed much either. I really do just want to give up. I went to the doctors friday and had her put me on meridia and zenical to help a bit with the weightloss. If I don't see a difference in the next 4 weeks I am just going to throw in the towel. Maybe it will be easier to just admit to myself that I am going to be fat forever and just except it and move on. I do not want to diet for the rest of my life. I do not want to fight this battle anymore. I will just try and be as healthy as possible and let the rest be in God's hands.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

Ok ButtonBarker, you need to rethink your approach to healthy living. Long term healthy living is not a diet. Long term healthy living is not a struggle. Long term healthy living is a sensible diet that includes 85% to 90% healthy food and 15% to 10% indulgence. Long term healthy living is regular exercise. No matter what your size, EVERY SINGLE PERSON on this planet needs regular exercise. Let's say you never lose another pound in your life....you should still move every day.

You should definitely give up on dieting and start living. Eat sensibly and shake that booty. Have fun with life. Turn your struggles with weight and food over to God, but don't cop out and "throw in the towel." God helps those who help themselves. So help yourself to a nice long walk & some yummy, nutritious food.

Last edited by Genesis; 01-13-2003 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:34 PM   #11  

You are very right. Thank you for the kick in the butt. It is just what I needed!:-)
Closed Thread