South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 11-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #1  
Be happy.

Default Dairy?

I'm not a milk drinker and have never been fond of cheeses, yogurt, etc.
so I always struggle to get enough dairy. I've been taking calcium supplements for years and I love broccoli and leafy greens and eat them regularly even when I'm not eating on plan, so I'm not particularly worried about my bone density, etc.

I'm anxious to get more dairy into my diet now though, because of the research about 3 servings of dairy each day increasing weight loss and reducing body fat.

I'm getting sick of my plain cottage cheese, yogurt and choc milk shakes. I sure could use some good ideas.

Thanks in advance!
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

1 percent milk is wonderful, at least the one I got from Trader Joe's was.
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:05 PM   #3  
Be happy.

Thanks. I haven't been to Trader Joe's for a while, but there's one near my sister's home. I should check it out next visit.

I'm OK with skim milk, I just don't care for milk in general.
I'm looking for ways to sneak dairy in without tasting the milk..... lol
Old 11-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I flavor my Greek yogurt with vanilla and use fruit with it if you are in Phase II, but you could use really any sugar free flavoring. Cottage cheese is good with fruit and a little cinnamon too. I do like RF cheese and love the Mocha Ricotta Creme so I get dairy with cheeses daily. I love a Skinny Hazelnut Latte from Starbucks too (skim milk, SF flavoring).
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:33 AM   #5  
My goal = health

PArt Skim Ricotta - yum! Try some of the Dr. recipes
No salt added cottage cheese with a little Splenda and a drop of Vanilla (tasted like icecream!) I use Friendship 1% no salt, no sugar added.
Milkshakes, plain yogurt with a drop of SF Jello mix for flavoring and I'm sure you'll get tons of ideas from others.
RRB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Heidi, how about adding a flavorful (and distracting) fruit to your cottage cheese? You can also throw on some ground flax or chia seed for extra flavor/crunch.

You could throw greek yogurt or sour cream on top of other foods, like Taco Bake, to add in dairy--that's also a good place to put cheese.

You could add milk, sour cream, or yogurt to soups to hide the taste. There are a ton of great recipes on www.myrecipes.com (just use the advanced search and stick with Cooking Light or other healthier mags) for that, or check our own recipe forum.

How about including milk in dressings? Making homemade hot cocoa with milk? Making homemade chai (either use SF chai syrup or make it by brewing a chai teabag in milk) is another way to disguise the taste.

Hope this helps!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 143.1/130.5/110

Height: 5'1

you could make a crustless quiche or frittata (kinda like a baked omelet) and put cheese in it. if you use a mild cheese (i think muenster and/or a mild cheddar maybe?) you sneak it in there without really tasting it!
if you are in phase two you can make smoothies with milk or yogurt, fruit (berries, mangos, yum!) and lots of crushed ice.
asphyxia63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Cheese is not considered dairy on South Beach but protein. I think the OP is referrring to milk and yogurt. Check out the Phase I list in the FAQ.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #9  
Be happy.

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

asphyxia, I've been drinking chocolate milkshakes using SF syrup but I think I'll try a fruit smoothie tonight. I've got some frozen berries in the freezer. I've been relying on fruit to get the yogurt down lol, but I haven't had any yogurt yet today.....

Sadly, I don't care much for eggs either. I don't know how I got so picky....
Old 11-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #10  

I add different DaVinci or Torani sf syrups to my milk. Right now I have vanilla, chocolate, white chocolate, cinnamon and black cherry. I love the variety.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #11  
Reluctant Adult

I do the same as Barb, but I also add some sparkling water to make an Italian cream soda with the SF flavorings. Easy to get some milk down that way!

Between my SF homemade cocoa in the evenings, fruit smoothies and Italian cream sodas, I get through a LOT of milk. Was shopping with a friend of mine the other day and when I grabbed 2 gallons of 1%, she asked me, "Will you really get through that much milk in 10 days?" Oh, yeah.

Rae
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #12  
Be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raebeaR View Post
I do the same as Barb, but I also add some sparkling water to make an Italian cream soda with the SF flavorings. Easy to get some milk down that way!

Between my SF homemade cocoa in the evenings, fruit smoothies and Italian cream sodas, I get through a LOT of milk. Was shopping with a friend of mine the other day and when I grabbed 2 gallons of 1%, she asked me, "Will you really get through that much milk in 10 days?" Oh, yeah.

Rae
I never thought of cocoa... I do like that every now and then. Thanks!

Could you tell me a little more about the Italian cream soda? I've never heard of that.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #13  

How do you make the cocoa? I've seen recipes that require making it on the stove, do you think mixing milk, bakers cocoa, vanilla extract and splenda in the microwave would work?

As far as an italian soda, if i'm not mistaken, you mix a little flavored syrup with club soda or seltzer water and then add some cream or half and half (fat free/low fat) serve in a glass with ice.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #14  
Be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphyxia63 View Post
As far as an italian soda, if i'm not mistaken, you mix a little flavored syrup with club soda or seltzer water and then add some cream or half and half (fat free/low fat) serve in a glass with ice.
*shudder* And that tastes good? LOL

I'll probably wait to try that one til my daughter gets here for Thanksgiving. She's much more adventurous than me, but she can talk me into trying anything.

I have some instant SF cocoa mix, I figured I'd start with that. I haven't checked the ingredients yet but if I remember right it's made with splenda.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #15  

Yes it's delicious! You may have to play with the proportions to get it right but it's a sweet creamy refreshing treat! Have you ever made a root beer float with root beer and ice cream? It's similar to that kind of drink. Bubbly, creamy, and yummy!