General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 07:00 PM   #1  

Default Michael Thurmond's 6wk makeover. REVIEWS please?

Hi its been a long time since I have seen a Michael Thurmond 6wk body make over thread. I was wondering is anyone still doing it? If you are or have in the past what did you think of it? Could you post a review here?

I watched that Extream Makeover show last night. They put thoes folks on the plan, he was there. They all did well. So I wanted to know what you all thought of it. Thanks
Old 12-12-2002, 07:46 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hmm...since those folks were being filmed for a TV show, and since they had personal assistance from Michael Thurmond himself (along with plastic surgery and other stuff) I'm not surprised they did well...they were highly motivated - something to keep in mind. Also, I suspect that there might have been other folks who participated who were not as successful as the ones on the TV show (note that I did not actually watch the show - I'm just hazarding a guess here).

From what I've read on other boards about the Michael Thurmond 6 Week Body Makeover, it is VERY difficult to stay on since the foods are very limited...and the portions sound very small - I've read of people having meals consisting of a mere 2 oz. of chicken breast and some veggies.

I don't recommend the Thurmond system, but if you *MUST* order it, go to eBay and buy a used one cheap. There's usually a slew of them for sale there...

Better yet - if you want some FREE info, go to Krista's website at http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html - VERY informative and you don't have to shell out a lotta bucks...

(I'd also recommend reading "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips since it appears to me that Thurmond took a great deal of ideas from that book - except he greatly reduced the portion sizes and doesn't appear to emphasize weight training as much as BFL does. Believe me, weight training along with clean eating is the TRUE key to losing bodyfat...whether you use BFL or work out your own program - see Krista's website for more info on that).

Good Luck!
Old 12-15-2002, 01:57 AM   #3  
I'm back again

Hi Forgiven,

Just wanted to share a bit about my experiences on the Michael Thurmond Plan.

I did the plan last fall. It worked for me but was very limited. I did not lose 30 # in 6 weeks but I did lose 15#.

The plan called for low carbs but not as low as Atkins so it was a little easier to follow. What I missed most was my dairy products! There was not much room for variety and I had to carry alot of my food with me wherever I went--how often can you find low fat meats and fruits readily available?

I gained back the 15# during the next 3-4 months off the diet.

I have kept some of the principles in my diet plan now. It did teach me to eat egg white omelets and to be satisfied by eat ing fruits and low fat meats together but it did not allow for much variety in foods and got a little boring. The purple band thing was not even user friendly and I just went to the gym and walked as my exercise. The book is set up for measurements well and I'm using those pages in my quest for a better body now.

I tried to go back on this diet this fall but felt I was punishing myself so I took along some more knowledge and began WW.

Good luck with your decision.

"Bright"
Old 12-16-2002, 09:41 PM   #4  

Bright,

Thanks for sharing your expierence with me. I have been trying to read about it on the web. Looks like some really like it, some really dont...as you might expect I am holding off on spending the big bucks for now.

Thanks

Mrs. Jim,

Thank you as well. I already knew how you felt about it Body for life makes sence but I am just too darn lazy to do it for long.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2002, 09:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

forgiven-
About what you said about being too lazy to do BFL...any permanent change to a healthier body, whether it be with BFL or Richard Simmons or what have you, means making a lifelong commitment to exercise and a better diet. Just because the diet discussed here has 6 weeks in the title does not mean that you quit in 6 weeks-it just means that you can get results in 6 weeks...you have to keep up the exercise and diet in any plan to have permanent results. There are no quick fixes that are permanent out there. You have to make exercise a regular part of your life and do so by finding what exercise you enjoy so that it is not a chore. Diet is only half of the process in getting a healthy body-exercise is crucial. You can lose weight with diet, but the only way to trim down a flabby tummy or firm up a rear end is to work at it, and keep on doing so.
Good luck in your efforts,
Aphil
Old 12-17-2002, 02:54 PM   #6  

Aphil,

I know any plan I go on will last much longer than 6 weeks. I have much to lose. The 6 week body make over stresses in the commercial how little you have to exercise. I have read that this in on the commercial but in the program you purchase he suggests much more. I was not drawn to it because of 6 weeks, it was how quickly people see dramatic results. I have found out this is not everyone.

I have the body for life book. I wanted to be one of those people who love exercise, and do it often. However apparently I am not one of them. I have a bad knee, I have a bad back, also spurs on my heels and I can be a tad lazy. Not to mention I cant afford to join a gym. Also I should most likely lose a bit before I expected my body to do much in the way of exercise.

Thanks for your response. I wish you well in your new weight loss venture.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:18 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Forgiven -

Try reading the chapter in BFL about "crossing the abyss". After all these years, one thing I've learned is you have to take the MENTAL steps before you can take the physical steps to make lifestyle changes...

Rather than focusing on the things you 'can't' do, think of the Bing Crosby (or was it Perry Como?) song: "You've got to...Accentuate the Positive" and think of the things you CAN do...or say "okay, I have a bad back...how can I work around this?" Most likely, when you start an exercise program and begin to lose bodyfat, you'll find that your bad back will become much better (of course, if you're under a doctors' care, you should consult with him/her before beginning).

Exercise is HIGHLY important...but IMO nutrition is more important as far as losing bodyfat. I'd say that nutrition counts for 60% or 70% of results - because I worked out for YEARS as a cardio bunny - I'd spend 2 hours doing cardio on the elliptical, Spinning, etc. but still the fat would barely budge.

Writing down your goals is important...make promises to yourself and then HONOR those self-promises! That's the secret to success...

As far as not being able to afford a gym - have you checked around? I have belonged to 24 Hour Fitness for years and have only paid $24 a month all that time. If that's too expensive for you - check your local community college. Most of them (the ones around here anyway) have gym facilities that you can use at little or no cost. Do some research!

If you finally CAN'T find an affordable gym-type place...don't despair...don't give up...Mistress Krista comes to the rescue on her excellent website with an article "No Weights? No Problem!"

http://www.stumptuous.com/noweights.html

The article starts like this...
Quote:
So let's say you live in Upper Armpit, South Dakota, or on top of a mountain in the Himalayas, and there are no gyms for 500 miles around. Or, let's say you're a complete cheapskate and don't want to pay $50/month to the local chrome 'n' tone Fluffy Fitness. Or, let's say that you're agoraphobic and haven't left your house in 13 years. Whatever the case, it is important to remember that you don't need weights to get a good workout.

Now, I'm not talking about those idiotic "you don't need weights, you just need 12 oz. cans of tuna!" workouts that Cosmopolitan magazine advertises (I swear I am not making the part about the tuna up... it was actually suggested by Cosmo for biceps curls... maybe they were aiming that article at 2-year-old malnourished children or something). I'm talking about old-school, farm girl, Dinosaur-training-style pickin' up heavy stuff lying around the house and yard.

what every weightless girl needs to have in her wardrobe

I'll tell ya what to do with all of this stuff. Some are just cheap things you can pick up at the local discount store, while others are likewise cheap things you can pick up at the local hardware store. Army surplus stores are also good places to look for things like heavy-duty knapsacks. If you have other cool ideas, drop me a line.

old soccer ball, basketball, or volleyball
jump rope
an old durable knapsack, and/or duffel bag, maybe even an old suitcase
sand
an old pillowcase
duct tape
a little kids' plastic sled or the "tray" part of an old wheelbarrow
rope
gloves
a small towel, or some plain foam, or some pipe insulation foam
a bucket
a shovel
You'll have to check the link to read the rest of the article (BTW the entire website is packed with info... check it out http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html )

When I was a girl, I was a devotee of Laura Ingalls Wilders' "Little House" books. I remember something that her Pa said that has resonated with me... "Rome wasn't built in a day, nor is anything else that is worth having."

So. Is losing bodyfat easy? Nope. But is it worth the effort? IMO, most emphatically YES! It has been a long journey for me - from 265 pounds and a size 26 to now - but I wouldn't go back for the world, and it has made me a better person inside and out.

Take care...feel free to PM me if you wish...or post at the BFL/BB thread! Have a great holiday!
Old 12-17-2002, 04:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Forgiven,
I just wanted to add that I also have a bad back due to having large infants,which weakened my lower back and abdominal muscles really badly. It hurt to stand for long periods of time, and it also hurt and was really stiff when I got out of bed.
I was told my many that it would help to see a chiropractor-but I have always been scared of someone popping and cranking on my body-I don't even crack my knuckles!
The two things that have helped my back tremendously are abdominal exercises, such as crunches, etc. and practicing yoga. The abdominal work strengthens your ab muscles, and along with getting a better looking tummy, having strong abs means a much stronger support system around the lower back area. The yoga has improved my posture-bad posture makes back pain worse-and has actually released stiff areas in my spine, and strengthened my back significantly-as well as providing relaxation and flexibility to my entire body.
If you are under a doctor's care for your back, discuss this with him first-but these exercise options added to your routine will help out your back pain, as improve your outward appearance.
For those of us that love to exercise-there are still days that it is hard to get motivated-but getting started is the hardest part.
MrsJim is right about the cost-there are plenty of exercise that can be done for cheap if you cannot afford a gym-going up and down stairs is virtually the same as a stairclimber, jumping rope is a great cardio workout, etc.
Also check out thrift stores, as I have seen many aerobic steps, fitness videos and the like at these types of places for cheap.
In our town we have a community walkway that basically is a place to walk, rollerblade, or bike ride away from automobile traveled roads. It is scenic with lots of trees, and more and more communities have them, so check and see if one is available in yout community. If you do not like to walk outdoors in the elements, walk rounds in a nearby mall.
Don't let the money part keep you from your fitness goals, and if you are effecient in your exercise-it doesn't have to be such a large part of your day-only 20-40 minutes.
Good luck to you,
Aphil
Old 12-17-2002, 05:39 PM   #9  

Thanks,

I asked on the exercise thread about home gyms that may be good. I was thinking my hubby may go for it better if it were a one time pmt. But we most likely cant right now.

Mrs. Jim, are you eating the BFL way, or something different? I just may have to reread the book. When I baught it I thought it made great sence, but thats where it stayed unfortunatly. I admire your dedication.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:01 PM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

Basically I eat BFL style for the most part - it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it - you just pick a protein and a carb for each meal, add veggies liberally for at least two meals and include some healthy fat in there...and voila!

Besides reading the BFL book, DO take a closer look at Krista's site - she's got some GREAT info there about starting, training, eating, etc. etc. and to top it off she is quite funny to boot!

Again, feel free to lurk/post at our little BFL/BB forum (oh, just because it SAYS "Bodybuilding" in there, don't think we're a bunch of muscleheads or are striving to be the next Cory Everson ) and read the 'sticky' of Basic Information at the top of the list. If you want to get the hang of the meal thing on BFL, go to www.leanandstrong.com and check out Tall Jen's Daily Menu Thread - not everyone there is on BFL, but she basically helps people with their daily menus. Even just lurking, you can learn a lot and get a lot of ideas by looking at other folks' menus...and L&S also has an AWESOME recipe page!

Take care and feel free to ask me just about anything (no math questions though PLEASE - I'm arithmatically challenged! )
Old 12-30-2002, 04:00 PM   #11  
Viva la vida loca!

S/C/G: 360/329/297 (second 10%)

Height: 5'6"

I have had success with Michael Thurmond's program and it takes most people longer than six weeks. I found Body For Life to be much more restrictive regarding variety of food, although both plans are sound and are similar to Larry North, whose ideas pre-date both Phillips and Thurmond.

North and Thurmond don't advocate the use of supplements to enhance success. With Thurmond's program your body type determines how much of a foodstuff you're allowed. And they say at their website in a number of places that if you are hungry and on plan, you can increase your protein.

I can sing the praises of all those programs. Some people don't want to lift weights for whatever reason (I like it, myself) and the toning bands give enough of a workout to get someone started who hasn't lifted weights before.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:09 PM   #12  

Thanks for your note. I wish there was a way to know what you can eat on the 6 week body make over BEFORE you buy though So,,,,,wanna tell me?
Old 12-30-2002, 10:32 PM   #13  
Uber-Moderator!!

Actually - and I think most of the gals at the BFL/BB board can vouch for this - BFL eating is not all that restrictive. I believe that in the book, Bill Phillips wanted to keep it simple, so he made a very short list.

As far as protein - just about any lean meat, poultry or seafood is authorized, along with cottage cheese, eggwhites, and protein powder - many of which are not listed in the book. Veggies - there are very few veggies that AREN'T okay for BFL - and you can eat as much of them as you wish (the more the better!). Carbs - pretty much any complex carb - grains, oatmeal, grits, taters (white and sweet), corn, winter squashes, etc. etc.

As for supplements - they are mentioned in the book - but many, many people I know (check www.leanandstrong.com) have had great transformations just by eating 'clean' and working out - no supplement can take the place of that!

Why not go to the library and check out the book - it's free as opposed to shelling out a lotta bucks for a program which I suspect is pretty darn close to BFL (which in itself is just basic bodybuilding knowledge - Bill isn't saying anything NEW in BFL - I suspect neither is North or Thurmond - but if you ever get the chance to see the video "Body of Work" Bill talks about his goal of bringing the benefits of weight training to the general public - without the stereotypes that many people picture when thinking of 'bodybuilding').

As far as food goes - I heartily recommend the site www.leanandstrong.com - check out the "Healthy Recipes" part of the site - good 'n' yummy meals there! (love the Jambalaya!)

In fact here's a couple of my 'staples' for ya:

Quote:
Steve L's Hot Apples

Apple cut into half-inch cubes, sprinkled with cinnamon
and Splenda, and just a splash of water. Microwave until
apple pieces begin to sweat their juice.
Mix the hot apple dish with cottage cheese. A favorite
bedtime treat. Delicious!!
And...

Quote:
Shannon's Asian Slaw / Chinese Chicken Salad

Dressing
¼ Cup Udos Oil
2 Tbls Rice Vinegar
1 Tbls Lite Soy Sauce
1 Packet Sweet & Low (or other sweetener)

Slaw/Salad Greens
Chopped Green & Red Cabbage
Sliced Green Onion

Optional
1 Soy Marinated Grilled Chicken Breast

Combine ingredients for dressing in a small bowl with a
lid. Cover and shake to blend. Pour 2 TBLS of prepared dressing over chopped cabbage (I use about 1 ½ Cups
chopped) and onion. Toss to coat. Optional: Add 1
serving of sliced chicken (or other favorite protein)
to top the salad. Just add a carb of your choice and voila'! A tasty BFL meal.

Cabbage can be chopped well in advance and stored in
zip-loc baggies. Cold left over chicken really works
great in this recipe. This salad can be dressed hours
ahead of time and it will remain crunchy and fresh.

Take care!
Old 01-08-2003, 07:55 PM   #14  

Mrs. Jim,

I did what you recomended I went to ebay and bought a brand new 6wbmo kit for $45.00 there was someone who had several of them. I gotta say I liked spending 45. bucks much more than I would have liked spending $170. It was my first ebay expierence, I hope its a good one

Cathy
Closed Thread