Old 11-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #1  
better, faster, stronger

S/C/G: 150/131.5/125

Height: 5'2.5"

Default what's going on with corn?

So today I realized that corn seems to have a LOT more calories than other vegetables, like lettuce or broccoli. I've been considering vegetables a "freebie" (e.g. eat as much of it as I want) as long as I don't douse them in butter or whatever. But should I be limiting how much corn I have?

I'm not a huge fan of most other veggies so I'd just like to find out if corn is actually a healthy choice or not.
Skyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Corn is a healthy choice as an alternative to bread, not as a "free" vegetable (On exchange diets and other diets that allow unlimited quantities of some vegetables - corn is never on the unlimited list). Potatoes (white and sweet), corn, peas, and winter squashes are also bread or starch exchanges in exchange-based diets.

Corn is actually a grain, and in exchange programs is a starch choice, rather than a veggie. Carrots, beets and peas are not as starchy/sugary as corn, but they also should be limited - not eliminated, they're all still healthy, you just have to take the calories/carbs/exchanges (depending on your food plan) into account.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Yup. I remember when I was a child and corn was frequently "the vegetable side." But even mom calls it a grain/starch now.

I'm not much for piles of corn as a side anymore. I'll save that for when I can have fresh, roasted corn on the cob. But I do love just a bit in things like minestrone, chili, bean salads, and the like. It adds such a nice flavor and bit of sweetness.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #4  
better, faster, stronger

S/C/G: 150/131.5/125

Height: 5'2.5"

Thanks kaplods. huh, I feel silly -- I didn't know it was considered a grain at all. Knowing that helps me out.
Skyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

OH I KNOW! The first time I looked up the calories in corn (160 per cup?!?!) I was absolutely shocked. I still eat it though, just maybe in 1-cup portions MAX. It's quite tasty, isn't it?
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #6  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

it's still efficient in the popped form...air-popped, it is a satisfying snack.
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote