Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 03:13 PM   #16  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

About frozen meals...you will get mixed responses on this one. Some people can lose all their weight and reach goal while eating 1-2 of these every single day. They do have a bit of sodium, but I've found that since I eat healthier throughout the entire day, I can still remain well below 2400mg (the recommended maximum) of sodium in a day even with a frozen meal for lunch. I keep a stack of them in my freezer for those times when I just can't seem to get it together to bring my own made lunch.

However, some people are much more sensitive to sodium than others, or if you include salt in your other meals, having 600-800mg sodium just at lunch could really be pushing your water retention buttons. Additionally, I do not rely on frozen meals for much in the way of nutrition--the meats and veggies are typically so processed, overcooked, and burried in sauce that I turn to them to fill my stomach but not to meet any nutritional needs (vitamins, minerals, etc.).

That said, if you are finding that you are more successful without those meals, then why not bring your own lunch? You don't even have to make it in the morning. Do what I (and many others) do and make a big batch of something on the weekend. For example, I like to throw a package of chicken breasts, a jar of salsa, a can of black beans, and some frozen corn in my crock pot, let it cook all day, and then scoop it out into individual Gladware containers and toss in the fridge. Then during the week, I just have to grab the plastic container and microwave it at work, just like a Lean Cuisine I've even made sandwiches on the weekend for the whole week. I'll make 5 pbj sandwiches and store in baggies in the fridge or even 5 ham and turkey sandwiches (if you fear they may get soggy, you can easily omit any spreads/condiments and just put together the bread/cheese/meat part in advance).

This is how I live. I make everything in advance. This past weekend, I made a btch of whole-wheat couscous and some chicken coated w/egg beaters and coconut. Then I split it up into 5 small containers, and that has been one of my lunch meals every day this week. That way, I know EVERYTHING that's in it and can customize it to my own tastes (that's a complaint I have about frozen meals is that so many of them include mushrooms--I HATE mushrooms ).

Anyway, now that I've written a novel here, I think the frozen meals are good for portion/calorie control, but not the best choice nutritionally. Making your own frozen (or refrigerated) meals for the week can happen on the weekend without much time (I'm a big fan of "dump a bunch of yummy stuff in the crock pot and let it cook" ).
Old 12-14-2006, 03:20 PM   #17  

I'm like Jill. I can do Lean Cuisine and lose just fine, but I usually bring left over dinner for lunch the next day. DH and I will cook at least four servings for dinner, eat two and package two of them into individual containers. The Crock-pot is a life saver for dinner for us. I'm the worst about forgetting to thaw anything for dinner and that leads to entirely too much scrounging or ordering out for dinner. If I put stuff in a crock-pot, it's ready when I get home and again, I make enough so dinner the night before is lunch the next day (or two or three!)

I flipped back and forth between the Biggest Loser and Mythbusters last night. I hadn't seem BL all season though. Those people always amaze me....I just always wonder how it can be healthy to lose that much that fast though. The thing that ususally impresses me is how they don't seem to be all baggy-saggy after losing all that weight. It has to be all the working out they do!
Old 12-14-2006, 06:19 PM   #18  
sandybar

S/C/G: 350/289/150

Height: 5' 1"

Hi Girls,
We had our carry in dinner for work today. Tomorrow our bosses bring
in a huge luncheon for us. Today, was, well, terrible!
Pecan pie gets me every time. I passed chocolate cake, cheese cake, dirt pudding, banana pudding, noodles, rolls, but I had 2 pieces of pecan pie.
On my goodness was it good. Came home and got on the gazelle for 10 minutes. (and lilion, ANY TIME on an elliptical is AWESOME!)
My feet HURT when I'm on the gazelle. I can only hope they'll hurt less as I get smaller. Ten minutes is about all I can stand at once cuz of the pain. Did any of you other girls have pain in your feet or knees? I figure the knee pain is just cuz they aren't used to moving much. But the feet :yike:
Hope all of you are doing well or at least doing better. Hang in there everyone. I gotta go log on fitday and then make dinner.
Hugs
Old 12-14-2006, 07:35 PM   #19  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

Heather - I am adding your quote to my signature. thanks for the inspiration

Lillion - its a pencil. it was my halloween costume. i had a test in class, so i thought it was fitting to jam a pencil in my head (or glue a fake one). gotta love special effects

yesterday and today i have been totally OP. I even went to water aerobics last night. tonight i hopefully will be going to disneyland. Paul and I have reconciled our differences, and pretty much are on the friend track. its not so bad.

Ammi - all i can say is WOW!!! Congrats on losing almost 100 lbs!!!! thats so awesome. what have you been doing?
Old 12-14-2006, 07:52 PM   #20  

Hey everyone-

I have been just getting everything ready for moving. I am getting a good workout running around getting stuff done! I also have been making lists. I am addicted to making lists! But it keeps me WAY more organized! I *think* my cold is going away. I started coughing again today. I really hope I am not getting reinfected!! I need to get some vitamin C or something.

BRENDA~Hope you get well soon! Now that I have had a cold for weeks Nyquil is my best friend! Yum cookies! I would have a hard time resisting all of that! Thanks for sharing the info about processed meats. That will make me think twice!

WYLLENN~Yes I also hate moving. We are lucky though because DH work pays for movers to come up here and literally pack up everything we own. So that helps SO much! I am sorry about your toe! I broke my small toe a year ago. It hurt so bad, but the Drs said they couldn't do anything for it. Basically just told me to stay off of it if I can. Hope you get better soon!

LILION~YAY for getting up and exercising! I still struggle with making myself work out. We are moving to Spokane, Washington. And they are flying everything out of here. There are no roads out of our town. So they have to load up all of our stuff and our car and ship it down to Spokane. Its nice because DHs work covers all of the cost and send s up movers to help. And we are BARELY going to miss the really bad cold weather up here. Mid Febuary is when its gets down to -55 with windchill of -100.

LORI~Glad you are back hun! Glad you got over the flu! Yes we are really excited to be getting out of here! I miss trees and walmart!

PATTI~That is great the UPS noticed!! That is a great NSV!

JILL~Congrats on your 3 pounds loss!

SANDY~All of that temptation would be hard for me! The good thing is though you could have had way more than the pecan pie! Sorry you are having pain while using your GAzelle. I was looking into getting one. Hope the pain goes away!

LUAN~Congrats on totally being OP and doing water aerobics! That is good you and Paul are friends again. Have fun at Disneyland if you go!

Ok girls well I am going to go figure out what to eat for dinner. Take care!
Old 12-14-2006, 09:31 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Luan -- Glad you liked the quote -- I just wish it were more grammatically correct!! OP for 2 days is a great start at it again!

Jill-- A morning mover or a lunchtime ... legger?? I'm stretching here.... as long as you get out and do it!

Michelle -- Oh good that you have movers like that. Packing too! That's my least favorite part!

Thanks for the toe info. I'm hearing everywhere there's nothing they can do for it. I haven't had an xray -- kind of for that reason -- but I'm just not sure it's broken. I really think it would hurt more than it does. It hurts to walk on, but if I don't move or move slowly it's not bad. Last year I really hurt my coccyx (at the very bottom of your spine) and it hurt like CRAZY. Worst pain I've ever had. [And one of the things that started this weight loss journey for me].

Anyway, the fact that this doesn't hurt so much makes me wonder if it's not broken but something else.

How long did you have to stay off it? How long until the pain went away?
Old 12-15-2006, 12:04 AM   #22  

WYLLENN~The DR told me basically to keep off of it. But the one thing I kept doing was I kept hitting it on everything! So the best thing for me was taping it to the toe next to it as good as you can. It keeps it straight and you are less likely to stubb it on anything else. Actually my pain wasn't seriously bad...but it did hurt a while. But like I said I kept hitting my toe on stuff or wearing the wrong shoes...so I kept hurting it! I would just try to not wear any tight shoes and maybe try the tape thing if you can. Also I did find some ice did help with the pain and swelling. But the Dr was right..not much you can do. I guess if all else fails some advil or tylenol might help. I hope it gets to feeling better soon!

Ok now I have a question for you girls. Have any of you not had a loss on the scale but see big differences with your body? For example...I haven't lost any more pounds but I see some big differences. My face looks a lot thinner! My DH even mentioned it. I also carry a lot of my weight on my stomach and I see a big difference there as well. And the last thing I noticed is...I know stretch marks don't go away but I notice some of mine are turning lighter or more silver looking? Ok I don't know if that made sense but that is the best way I can describe it.*LOL*

Ok I hope all of you had a good night! Have a great day tommorow!
Old 12-15-2006, 02:32 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 450/450/180

Height: 5'2

i am new here and trying to set this up .I have alot of weight to lose and it seems I am always ubsuccessful after a few weeks..I hope this will help me
Old 12-15-2006, 04:24 AM   #24  

Hi Lainy...

Glad to see you joined us! This is really a great group of ladies. I really find this site has really helped me stay focused. I have had slow or no weight loss but the difference this time is I keep trying. Checking in here or just reading the thread keeps me motivated. Plus ton of inspirational people with great advise. Again glad you found us!
Old 12-15-2006, 06:03 AM   #25  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Welcome Lainy! I hope you enjoy it here and that you find the support that you need to put you on the right track. I don't post anywhere NEAR enough, as things have been a little hectic lately, but I read every day and keep track of how people are going. There are LOTS of wonderful things going on with the people in here and I just love watching their progress.

We are also here for you whenever you need to shout or cry, or simply have a good old whine. We will listen and offer whatever help we can.

Take care,

Zelma
Old 12-15-2006, 06:27 AM   #26  

Height: 5' 9" = 176cm

Hello all

Stopping by to say a quick hello to everyone..

Welcome to all newcomers and good luck to everyone on this jurney.

And thats about it lol, work's calling. I just had to check in so you wont think I gave up or something. I havent, am just constantly busy

Take care...
Old 12-15-2006, 08:07 AM   #27  

good morning everyone.i had a so so WI this morning... considering my weight had shot back up to 288 this week and is back down to 283 this morning i cant complain. i will leave my ticker as it is though cus those 3 extra pounds are going to be gone by next friday!
Old 12-15-2006, 09:31 AM   #28  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Man, I was so excited that my scale said I was down 3 pounds for the week yesterday. I was hoping I wouldn't retain water during the day (yesterday was my first day of TOM) so that I would see that 3 pound loss on the TOPS scale in the evening, but I did NOT see that 3 pound loss. Instead, it said I lost 5.75 I guess I had actually been retaining a bit of water before TOM started and maybe released some of it during the day yesterday. At first, I thought it was a fluke and the TOPS scale was off a bit, but I weighed this morning to see another 2 pounds gone, which is just about right on with the TOPS scale, so WOOHOO!! I'm out of the 290s and am heading for the 270s...
Old 12-15-2006, 10:08 AM   #29  

Morning Chicks!

Jilly! You GO girl!

Zelma: Haven't seen you in a bit! How's summer down under? Schools out now, right?

Michelle: I LOVE Washington. In fact, I love then entire northwest, although Spokane is inland, right? I have an aunt in Seattle and visited there - just lovely - and NEVER -100!

I got up AGAIN and did the 10 on the eliptical! It was harder today, but that's probably just from being stiff from doing that and my mile yesterday. I also walked in the .6 mile to work again as it's supposed to be 60 degrees today. Today is snack day at work and, knowing I will indulge, I had 3 pts of oatmeal for breakfast and brought a small salad for lunch. I figure if I know I'm going to eat the empty calories, I can at least plan on keeping the points down on the other meals.

Have a good day ladies!
Old 12-15-2006, 10:11 AM   #30  

ok girls should i go on a road trip with my hubby to houston tx next week or las vegas? lets take a count!
Closed Thread