Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 07:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens - 40+ and Ready to Lose!!! #104

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:21 AM   #2  

Morning ladies,

Its Friday!

I sure haven't gotten anything accomplished either around the house or on a healthy front either.

Lilion - Do what you gotta do. Sometimes we just have to take breaks from 3FC to catch up with our lives. Good luck with food this weekend and have fun!

Valerie - Well that is great! That is more the job you wanted anyway. The horses will forgive you for makeup. Have a great first day!

Judy - I like the Flylady concepts. The emails are too much to keep up with though but love the 15 minutes process. Didn't know they had a book. Hmm, is that exercise in 15 minute blocks? Inquiring minds need to know so now you have to read the book!

Time to quit sitting around and hit the shower. DH is off deer hunting and the dog is snoring. Very temping to just curl up on the couch and pretend that its Saturday.

BTW, my evil boss is essentially gone. Except now we've become best friends. Wednesday was her last full day in the office. Now she is working from home and will only come to the office for the occassional meeting. In mid-December she will be on vacation and on 12/31 retired. Weird that after all these years, she is gone. Now just wait and see if and who replaces her.

Have a great day and Lilion, get some work done!
Old 11-17-2006, 08:01 AM   #3  
Hang In There

I've had a prety good week foodwise. I won't go as far as to say I was totally OP, but at least I've thought before I've eaten anything and that is a change from the last few months.

I just saw a news clip of the people standing in line to buy the new Play Station. Is that crazy or what?

This is the last day of the HR lady. The new replacement seem almost human. Time will tell. Maybe things will calm down not that she is gone. We've always had problems with employees but it has never been as crazy as it has in the 9 months or so that she has been here.

I've got to get busy and get some things listed on Ebay so oleAlvin and I can get new laptops. My laptop is completely deat and I have to use the desk top, and his is on it's last leg. (too bad I don't have a PS3, the news just said one is up to 10,000. I've got to see that for myself!!!)

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 305/301/199

Height: 5' 7''

I'd like to join your group if I may. My names Grace and I'm 42. According to the charts I have about 150 - 160 pounds I should be losing but my goal is 104 which would put me at 199, at this point I can't imagine being less then that and even that scares me, I just can't imagine myself thinner. Guess I have been overweight so long that I'm afraid of losing "ME". So anyway if it's ok I'd like to hang around a bit, get some advice and support, give the same and instead of saying goodbye to me, I can say hello to a new group of friends.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 333/220/185

Height: 5'10

Default i'm back on track!

Hi,
I'm back, and ready to give it my all. I've had my hip replacement and while waiting for the sug. I put on 50 lbs and now it,s time to get rid of the cane[ sug was the first of may] I still need it because of my wt. not to mention my knees have started to hurt.
So here I am backed in a wall so to speak,I don't have a choice an order to have any kind normal life I must get this wt. off my jonits.I just glad that you guy's are here, and I know that support makes it so much easier
Audrey
Old 11-17-2006, 12:49 PM   #6  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

GRACE, AUDREY,

I just came back home to 3FC myself. It's one of the very best places to be when you need friends for support. It isn't easy but if we all stick together we'll get there!
Old 11-18-2006, 02:45 AM   #7  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi Grace and Audrey! Glad to "meet" ya!

You couldn't have picked a better place to start your journey!

Grace, I noticed your post in the other thread before coming over here. I have another suggestion. You can set an email notice that will keep track of every thread that you post to. Then you just click the link in your email if you want to go to the site to comment. Otherwise, you can just read the posts from your email. I get a daily digest of all the threads that i've posted to.

to everyone else! Busy, busy day tomorrow! I'm off to bed, have a good night.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:51 PM   #8  

It's the first day of week two for me today.

Went to dinner w/friends last night and didn't bury myself in a deep, dark, food pit. I ate a lovely meal. Stopped eating when I felt full and was able to remain OP.

I did find out something about myself yesterday. I was upset over a very little thing that in hindsight wasn't worth 3 minutes of worry. Instead of letting it go I got myself worked up over nothing then went thru the house looking for food to "calm and comfort" me. At one point while I searched fruitlessy for comfort/junk food, I recognized what I was doing. I got a big glass of ice water and sat down to the realization that I do look towards food when I'm stressed. Boy was I glad I'd cleared out the junk when I decided to get serious again. If you'd have asked me I'd have said I don't eat when I'm stressed. I sleep. Well that's true ...... but now I know I eat first!

Anyway, week 1 is over and I'm pleased to say I lost 5.5 lbs.

So far today all's well in my little world and I'm hoping to make each day as successful as day one.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 333/220/185

Height: 5'10

higuy's how is everybodys weekend so far? mine's great so far. the amazing thing about this time is no real craveing!!!! does anyone use the G.I. INDEX?
I started useing it after seeing a write up on it in nov,20th first mag. I doing WW flex plan then I learned about the CORE plan,but being so close to the hoilday's and all I though it would be better to stay on the flex plan and keep my food's on the low end when I can and still have room for a treat once in a while. well it's working. It's great after 40 year's I've learned how to work the plan!
Audrey
Old 11-18-2006, 06:22 PM   #10  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Red face Tripped up Turtle

Hi gals. I messed up. Stress got me and I gave in and ate like it. I discovered I stress eat too (much to my surprise). I don't think I've done any true damage. But I don't know how to count it. I didn't write it all down and I'm not sure how to move ahead with Flex Points. I guess I could stick with my daily points allowence and move on that way. Stress. Who'd a thunk it.

Welcome to our newbies. Wow, awesome to see so many new people. Where are the regulars? Role call? ....
Old 11-18-2006, 06:37 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcupojava View Post
Hi gals. I messed up. Stress got me and I gave in and ate like it. I discovered I stress eat too (much to my surprise). I don't think I've done any true damage. But I don't know how to count it. I didn't write it all down and I'm not sure how to move ahead with Flex Points. I guess I could stick with my daily points allowence and move on that way. Stress. Who'd a thunk it.
JAVA, Take a shot at figuring the pts. you ate. Remember you've got those extra flex pts. each week. Give it a try and subtract from those extra pts. Then just stick to your program closely till your new week begins. It may not be as bad as you think. At least you know what set you off and you can recognize that situation going forward. Better we know what our pitfalls are so we can prepare for them.

You're doin' good and your back OP.

GOOD FOR YOU.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:46 AM   #12  

Hi ladies,

Its been a busy couple of days. Friday night, we drove back up to the city to have dinner with friends. Food was NOT OP. We had a great time with them though. Good people.

Yesterday, Jeannie came out to do more house cleaning. She and DH talked too much on Wednesday. She spent almost all day. The house looks amazing. She really got into staging the rooms. She moved stuff around, did cleaning, talked constantly, and had a great time. I love what she did with the house. Really looks like a home now.

She was helping me get ready for a dinner with DH's cousins last night. Dinner for eight. We've been trying to get together a few times during the year and at a family reunion. But no reunion this year so we sort of had it last night. They are very nice people. But it is hysterical to see a couple of the women vie for talking rights. There is two that would talk non-stop if allowed. Cindy won most of the time. OMG, they got off on who was taking what medicine and what their cholesterol levels are and what diet changes they have been making. It was almost like a competition! They were around the table and DH and I were at the counter eating. They talked through most of the meal about their medical maladies. Cindy made a wonderful apple pie - sugarless. I will have to get the recipe and share.

I have been corresponding with a boy from Iowa that wants to buy Peso. Since he's 16 and wants her as a 4-H project, I agreed to a lower price. He wants me to put a saddle on her and get her used to having that on. So Jeannie and I spent some time working with her. I used my english saddle since its light. She was not impressed at all. Bucked and bucked until she almost had the saddle off. But we got her calmed down and put the saddle back on but not cinched on and walked her around for quite a while. Today we will try again wtih a difference saddle. However, I am not sure that he has his parents okay to buy her. I did tell him that she will be here if his mom says no for now and I will continue to work with her.

I was so upset yesterday. We have really dense woods behind us that belongs to the neighbor around the corner. Have is no longer appropriate. He had a big bulldozer back there yesterday and they tore out a significant portion of the woods. I was so bummed about it that I couldn't even look out the window. I was also afraid that meant someone was going to be building back there. DH saw the guy later in the afternoon and stopped him to talk. He said he is making it into more pasture for his cows. He also told DH that we have first right of refusal on the acres next to us because he's about to retire and will be selling some of his land. It might be as early as next year. No more selling horses because of lack of space! I'll be able to keep the boys, Ginger and Spice. Yippee!

I better get ready for church. We're taking Jeannie and then she is helping with Peso for a while this afternoon.

I'll try to get to replies later today.

to everyone and have a great Sunday!
Old 11-19-2006, 01:08 PM   #13  
Hang In There

Bulletin

Ive lost 3 pounds!!!
Old 11-19-2006, 06:08 PM   #14  

Good Evening Ladies!

I started this post with Good Afternoon Ladies at just after noon, but then I had to stop and never got back until now!

I feel like I've missed a month instead of two days! I'm just absolutley BEAT and can't even think about what food has been like...although not too bad today.

Friday was work and then we had to do set-up for our SCA tournament. Then we went home and went about getting ready. Some last-minute sewing and packing up stuff. Didn't get to sleep til about midnight and the alarm went off at 5 a.m. We had to be back at site at 7 and people started arriving at 8! It was busy and I pretty much didn't sit down until Court, which was after 6 p.m. The event was pretty successful. We donated 984 toys to Toys for Tots. The Marines are always so accomodating, they come in their dress blues and our King does a speech and turns over the toys. When Court got started I had to get up and do the thank-you's and present some contest winner prizes. I couldn't belive how nervous I was! I've been infront of the State Supreme Court and didn't have the nerves I did last night. Anyway, I was awarded a Torse, which is a prize for service to the kingdom. It was a surprize and very nice. Anyway, after that we had clean up and didn't get out of the site until 8 or so. We got home, dropped the boy off with the pups and changed out of medieval clothes and went to the post-revel...sort of an "after-party". It was nice but three glasses of wine later I was TOASTED and then we got dinner - fattening Country Kitchen - and then I was DONE! So home and to bed. Oh! And I got a ton of compliments on my new gown. I forgot to take a camera, but I'll get back in it today or tomorrow sometime and get a photo and post it.

Today I didn't make it up till 10:00. I am SO SORE! I wore moccosin-type shoes all day yesterday you see and was walking around on concrete and gym floors all day (the event is held at a school). My feet are dead! I wanted nothing more than to sit my butt on the couch today and snuggle with my puppies and watch TV. Instead, just after noon my friend called - the one who's daughter ran off - and the same daughter was stuck in a neighboring town with a flat and NO SPARE TIRE. Said friend was at work and her husband (for the moment) who is the father, was home but has no license and no car and so guess who got up, drove 30 miles and saved the day? Four hours and $135 later and the girl is home with a new tire. Now, notwithstanding the fact that if she was MY kid she'd STILL be grounded and carless and phoneless, much less spending the night with friends 30 miles away - who lets a teenage girl run around without a spare tire!?! I was LIVID and told her father so as well as chastising my friend about it. At this point the woman owes me HUNDREDS of dollars and I'm DONE! I just can't keep this up. I love her to pieces, but I'm just SO TIRED of this crap!

Okay...rant over.

to Grace and Audrey! Although Audrey, I remember you! I didn't know about the hip replacement. I'm sure that's got to hinder you immensely with the exercise, but take heart in knowing that I lost most of my weight without a ton of exercise. I'm sure that once some of the weight comes off you'll be able to be much more active. It is an amazing feeling when you do things you never used to be able to do. This event this weekend is the fourth one I've been to and I vividly remember not being able to make it the whole day in years past, much less being on my feet in basiclly leather socks with no support. Phyically, losing the weight is a wonder for your ability to get around.

Barbara: on that loss!

Mary: Don't feel too bad about the binge. Everyone does it...like I said, Country Kitchen last night. You just go right back and try not to use any more flex points the rest of the week. You may be pleasantly surprized.

Terri: Nice that you'll be able to buy more land and that the house is coming along. Want to send that cleaning lady my way? Maybe I should have my friends kid work off the debt they owe me now because of her. Nah...it'd never get done.

Ladies, I'm off. I'll try to pop back on tomorrow night. For now I have to find something quick and easy for dinner. to you all!
Old 11-19-2006, 11:07 PM   #15  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Evening everybody!

Well, I survived the day yesterday, barely. The induction ceremony went well, up to the point when the caterer was supposed to bring the food. They were late and most of the people left! Mind you, we don't have much recourse as it is on campus and you have to use their services. Double

I actually decided to take the day off from work today to try and catch up. What did I do? Absolutely nothing! I found I was actually exhausted and lazed around reading, napping, watching movies, I did get a roast cooked and am now attempting homework and a bit of study for a quiz tomorrow so I guess it's not a total waste.

Audrey, what I'm doing has a lot of basis on the GI Index. I have to make sure that I always have the whole grain version of any carb, I always make sure that there is a bit of protein with any carb that I eat. I believe it does help. As my ex was diabetic, it was something that I was always conscious of. Not only my blood sugar, but my hunger is much more even. None of the drastic ups and downs. I'm usually on a constant level unless I go to long without eating. (more than 4 hours)

Lilion, I so love to hear about your SCA events! I think that's going to be one of the first things I do once i'm out of school. Congrats on the award. I'm sure you deserved it.

Barb, on those 3 pounds!

Terri, I have to say, your friends sound like a couple of "New Yorkers". It's always a competition to see who can talk the loudest or longest! So glad you'll get to keep the "kids".

Java, I think that's actually quite common. Once I realized it, I would just try the walking first to lower the levels, kind of takes the edge off then I could deal a bit better. Just do the best you can.

J-ann, Yay for stopping when full and not giving in to the comfort food. That's a biggie!

Well, back to the homework, have a good night everyone!
Closed Thread