Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 08:26 AM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default Old Hens - 40+ and Ready to Lose!!! #103

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

WELCOME!!
Old 11-12-2006, 08:31 AM   #2  
Michigan Old-Timer

Sorry, girls, haven't had time to read or do much of anything else. I've been spending 12=14 hours a day at the hospital. They are continually sending mom stuff she can't eat. Yesterday she had a young 19 year old guy as her nursing assistant and her diahrrea had returned. They won't let her out of bed because of the clot so I was doing bedpan duty so she would be more comfortable. I NEVER want to be a nursing assistant, that's for sure!!!!!

I did want to come in and put in a final pitch for the Christmas Card list. I promised it would go out tomorrow, but I think I'll make that LATE tomorrow or early Tuesday morning since there isn't much traffic here on the weekends.

If you would like to be added to the Christmas Card Exchange list, and haven't contacted me already, please PM me your information. I know some of you post on both this AND the 300+ thread so please let me know which list you want to be included in. I am not combining the lists for everyone.

If you have questions about how this works, please refer to the Christmas Card Exchange thread that is stickied towards the top of the main page.

Thanks, love ya bunches!
Old 11-12-2006, 09:09 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Good morning, everyone.

Thin, thanks for the update about your Mom. As for the food thing, they did that to my Mom too when we had her in and out of hospitals before she died. She could barely eat at all and couldn't wear her false teeth... it was supposed to be mushy stuff... they would bring her hamburgers and fries! It's hard but you pretty much have to have family take personal responsibility to see that they receive the proper care.

Ruth, I am praying for your Mom too. I certainly understand, as I went through this with my Mom last summer and fall before she died. We were so blessed to find three caretakers who rotated coming into her home and living there to take care of her... which was a huge load off my mind since I live halfway across the US from them.

Judy, I am cracking up at your scale story! You probably lost another pound or two just jumping up and down for joy when you realized how far off the scale was!! That is great and congratulations on your 30 pound overnight "loss."
Old 11-12-2006, 09:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

Thin - I am so sorry that your mom is going through such a rough time again. She'll be in my prayers. Take good care of mom and you. We'll hold down the fort.

Yesterday, I went down to mom's probably for the last time. Tomorrow, the buyer comes with the money so the place will be sold. Mom has a doc appt on the 17th so she has to stick around for that and then she is hoping to make her last trip to the new place. I took the nieces and nephew with me because I thought we were helping getting the final load ready and the place cleaned. Sis and her DH were there deer hunting. I was a little pissed that the nephew disappeared and wouldn't help do anything. The youngest niece fell asleep on the cot. Sis and her DH came in from hunting, was rude about us being in the way of her making lunch (we were cleaning), and then they went to sleep. The oldest niece, mom and I couldn't so anything in the house. The sleeping niece wouldn't get up and go find her brother when it came time for us to go home. I got in the truck and started to drive off and leave them all. That made them get their butts in gear. I told the two sleeping buttheads that they had really let their grandmother down which was really uncool since she had done so much for them after their mom left. And that they needed to get their heads out of their butts and take better care of her now. Good ole Aunt T laid the guilt trip on and tried to knock some common decency in them. But we parted with a hug and love you.

The recording session for the nephew's band went really well. The guy has a record label (local) and told them to come back and re-record with more songs and he will do a full CD for them for the price they have already paid. And they are going to headline at the guys club in December. I bought tickets. I will have to get my DB to take me (along with a mace and a gun). We listened to the CD on the way down. The singing was rather frightening if you listen from a "what in the heck is that" standpoint. But if you listen to it as the type of music that it is, it really is very good. The nephew is thrilled and very grateful for our support and caring. No one else in the family takes it seriously and shows any genuine interest in him.

DH had a doctor's appointment on Friday and the doc wasn't happy about his weight going back up. Last time, the doc had recommended Weight Watchers or Slim 4 Life. Remember, the doc also told him that this wasn't the time of year to start a diet. So DH hasn't been trying all that much. The doc was not pleased and asked him just exactly which of the plans that he had recommended was DH following. DH told him that "my wife doesn't believe in paying for weight loss". I flipped out when he told me that. Sure, I said no to paying for LA Weight Loss and said no I wasn't buying prepared food and no I wasn't paying $600 for Slim 4 Life. He forgets that my point has always been to relearn the habits or none if it will be permanent and that if we can't relearn our lifestyle then it will be a waste of money. I did not appreciate being the bad guy especially when it was DH's decision to interpret the doc's message as don't start anything until 1/1. I have to spend the time to get our foods and menus on paper or something.

Today, I'm trying to get as much done around the house as I can. Tomorrow night I go to Chicago for a meeting on Tuesday. I won't get home until really late on Tuesday night and then back up early for work again on Wednesday. I need to have the house ready for Jeannie to clean on Wednesday.

Judy - That is great news about the scale. I would have laid on the floor and bawled after the first time. I'm right there with you about making the changes and getting my butt in gear.

Ruth - for you too. It is so hard to see your family in nursing homes. DH's brother spent a long time in one after his strokes almost two years ago. Tore us up and yes, every time we went there, we wanted to find a way to get him out. It was hard to accept that they can provide the care we couldn't really do ourselves.

Karen - I gave my info for the card exchange. That reminds me, I should have DH take some pictures of my and my animals. Hope the midterm results are wonderful!

Barb.G - Okay, you've faced the scale. Now its time to face those lifestyle changes and start making progress again. As I told DH, Thanksgiving is one weekend of a whole month and Christmas is one day of a whole month. There are a whole lot of days where healthy eating and exercise can be followed to offset those holiday events.

Java - How's the house coming along? Did you try the rebounder? Thanks for the words about the music. You're probably right - its a genre.

Lilion - How's the weekend? Thanks, also for your words about the music. Hearing from both of you did help. I forget that kids do lots of posing these days. Our posing back in the 70's was different but still the same thing - trying to be cool.

Valerie - You're back to work on your second week. This is going to be a great job for building your stamina. Hope its going better physically this week. Two more days and then its time off!

to everyone that I missed. I need to get up and get busy. The horses would like it if I'd come out and feed them. The dog is thrilled that I'm home today but he won't be thrilled if I don't stay in one spot so he can snooze beside me.

Take care ladies and let's keep working on this.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:06 AM   #5  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Red face Here!

If there's a roll call for #103... I'm here! Present!

I faltered a bit and went over on my Points, but I didn't even use half my Flex Points. It's funny, I strive never to use them, and think of them as cheating, but by golly if I go over, I'm shelling them out like cards! I didn't eat horrible food, just too much of what I have. I did slip up a little and eat a couple pieces of the nasty pizza supplied to our department by Papa Johns for the football game. Normally, their pizza is fabulous, but I guess when you donate that many pies to a police department(nearly a whole pie for EVERYONE), you skimp a little (just hope they didn't spit on them because they were going to cops). It was super thin cardboard with ketchup on it, practically. But beggars can't be choosers. And I've calculated the points I WASTED on them. A local eatery supplies food like that all the time for big events (concerts, ball games, anything we have to direct traffic and/or police). It's normally Panerea Bread with their shoe box sized box lunch. But anyway, I digress.

No, I did NOT add any exercise yet and I paid the price for the relief that heating pad brought me. It burned me. It's not a bad burn, mostly a red, welt, rash sort of looking place across my lower back. But as good as it made my back feel, I think I'll continue using it, just make sure there's a towel or thicker fabric between it and my tender turtle flesh.

My heart goes out to you all struggling with tough decisions with your Mothers. I will likely do a more personal response real soon. Pooh is coming up today and we'll probably do a relaxing, working on bills getting ready for Monday, Sunday. And then Monday we need to get the draw signed at the bank and receive the check for the supplies to start the porches and gravel for the new house. It's all done except for the sewer tap which my town seems reluctant to get down here and hook up, though they've been paid $200.00. I'm forced to look at a beautiful new house that's all ready for me to move in, but I can't. Grrrr. Turtle getting angry.

Peace, love and turtle hugs to all who roost here. Hey Misti! Tickled pink to see you here. Ever see a pink turtle?
Old 11-12-2006, 04:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

Ruth--Your mom is in my prayers and you are too with regards to your cyst -- perhaps I missed something -- sounds like you will need to have surgery? It's so hard to go through all that around the holidays.

Valerie--Good for you for hanging in there! I say that I come from a long line of stubborn Norwegian women -- my grandma lived by herself until this last summer -- she' 87 years old -- and my mom is very stubborn too.

Annie--Bummer about your knee -- do you have access to a pool? Swimming or water aerobics would be very gentle on the joints, I would think.

Angela--Hope you got your car back!

Lilion--I know what you mean about wanting to see your kids grow up healthy. My partner and I raise her grandson -- he'll be 4 in December. He's tall for his age and thin and athletic. He is one of my motivators also -- I want to be able to do stuff with him and be there for him as he grows up. Fortunately, he loves vegetables. His mom is slim and tall (6'2") -- I think he has her genes (lucky him! ).

Thin--You and your mom are in my prayers. Please take care of yourself as you take care of your mom.

Terri--Hope you're over your cold. So sad to have to close your mom's house up. We closed up my grandma's house this summer -- she and my grandpa had lived there since 1960. (He died in 1994). My uncle, her son, died there of throat cancer when he was 33. So many memories. I was glad I could help though -- I've had such a strange time with my family the past 25 years -- they aren't thrilled that I'm gay -- and after 25 years, it's not a phase .

Java--Good for you for staying on plan! I did too -- ended up this week at 259.9 vs 266.6 last week .

Barbg--Good for you and for Judy too for facing the Scale Monster! Even though knowing the truth is scary sometimes, I think it is better than hiding from it in fear.

Karen--Good luck to you on your midterms!

Whew! 2 hours catching up on 3FC and I still want to look at the pix and post a few. I have an article to write for work today also. You all have a great OP day & week!

Last edited by elmay; 11-12-2006 at 04:15 PM. Reason: wanted to get the hug smiley right :)
Old 11-12-2006, 04:24 PM   #7  
Chained, Chainge, Change

S/C/G: 379.5/314/185

Height: 5'8"

Elmay, I like what you said about it not being a phase after 25 years. I will pass that one on to my 19 yr old son who is gay. He had a terrible time in our small town with all the small minds that go along with it. Thing is, the kids his age were terrible, people my age and older didn't seem to bother about it. (He came out when he was 15)
Old 11-12-2006, 04:36 PM   #8  

Thanksgiving--For those of you who are doing the cooking, I suggest Cooking Light -- I'm not doing the cooking this year, but I have made plenty of recipes from them over the years and they're both tasty and healthy. They have all the nutritional information, so you can pay attention if you like or just enjoy the day.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:33 AM   #9  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

I've been really busy which is why I haven't posted much. We had a three-day weekend, which was nice, but lots of work. Thursday DS had a friend spend the night and since DH works days I took work home with me instead of coming in. Friday I did some office work then DS went home with his friend, leaving me a bachelorette and I went shopping, although I didn't find much I liked. Saturday I decided I needed to make a new gown for my SCA group Toys for Tots event which is this weekend. Sunday I did some office work, took a break and worked on the yard – raked leaves and raked leaves and raked leaves and – well, you get the idea. I have a tiny yard too and only one Oak tree! Hard to believe I get so many leaves, but the neighbor's trees all contribute! I also burned branches that had fallen or been trimmed (we have a barrel – tacky but it works) but I still have three HUGE piles of leaves in my yard I need to bag up and take to the city compost site.

I've been asked a couple times about my nephew. For those who don't know, my husband's 22 yr old nephew blew his hands off playing with fireworks/explosives a couple of months ago. He's now home from the hospital and, according to my MIL is doing pretty good. They could only save the pinky and ring finger on the right hand and the left is gone completely to mid-forearm. But apparently he is in good spirits and determined to do things for himself. I expect I'll see him at the in-laws the Sat. following Thanksgiving. That's when we'll do the get-together for family. My own DH is working that day, but it's okay…less pigging out for me if I only have one turkey day.

Food has been okay. Nothing major to report. I'm down to four flex points for the week, but that's okay…the week ends Wednesday. I haven't weighed though and haven't been drinking as much as I ought so we'll see I guess.

Thin: Sorry to hear about your mom! She's in my prayers. As for the Xmas cards…I don't even manage to send them to my family members! I buy cards and stamps every year and never get them sent. I think I've pretty much given up, so I think I'll pass, because I'd just end up stiffing everyone anyway and that's not right.

Misti: Nice to see you visiting the hen house!

Terri: Give 'em heck, Aunt T! Good for you! Did you hubby? I would have! Shame on him blaming gaining on you for "not believing in paying for weight loss". Men! I hope you had a good weekend otherwise.

Mary: Howdy my turtle friend! Have I ever mentioned my best friend is deathly afraid of turtles? I think it's so funny! I mean, seriously! What could be more harmless than a turtle? I think you could probably outrun the little critters with a broken leg! She actually has been known to stop in the road to let one cross rather than just center the car and drive over it – because they might GRAB ONTO THE UNDERSIDE OF THE CAR! Yep…those amazing, indestructible, leaping turtles of Missouri! I'm glad to say you are staying OP! Don't think twice about using those flex points, that's what they are for! I'm down to four to last me the week and doing fine! I used all of mine last week. Owie on the burn! We don't want roasted turtle! Be careful!

A big Howdy to Elmay and Mother!

Judy! Glad to see the scale monster was wrong! I have been victim of the dreaded ERR on the scale too! Nice to see real numbers, huh? Both scales I weigh on have to be reset…the "official" one every time you weigh and the home one when it's been jostled or I get the ERR still!

Ruth: You and your mom are in my thoughts as well! I know it must be horrible for you to have to make this choice. I have two elderly aunts in a nursing home right now and as I believe I may have mentioned was in the process of finding a place for my father when he passed away. As much as I miss him and hate that I lost him so young, I've always been glad I didn't have to go through with that. I can't believe she had a broken hip all this time and they didn't find it! That's just awful! to you and yours.

Karen: Hope the tests went well and you got all A's!

Barbara: Maybe you should move into HR? Is it a pay hike? More importantly, could you stand it for one day? I don't think I could!

Valerie: How's truckin? Hope the new job is working out.

To anyone else I may have missed or who is lurking – HOWDY!

Well, this has been a BOOK! Guess I'll take off now. Love you all!
Old 11-13-2006, 10:55 PM   #10  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Hey all, I've been MIA. Did get my car back Friday. Did a lot of walking during the week, which was good.

Thin and Ruth: So sorry to hear about all you're both going through with family health issues. My thoughts are with you.

I'm looking at 3 more weeks of being really broke, then I should be able to think about living my life again. Having to spend money on the car before the crisis is over didn't help any, but three weeks, I can do that standing on my head by now.

I've been thinking retrospectively about weight issues. I know some of you have heard this story before, but it's been on my mind to think about how I got where I am. I had a more moderate weight problem from adolescence into early 20s--I weighed 192 when I started college. Serious, but not where I am now. Then I had a doctor put me on prednisone, saying that I absolutely must be on it. And while I was in college I gained a hundred pounds. The last 10-15 were added later in my 30s. When I got off the prednisone (and did not, idiot that I was, press a malpractice suit), I lost weight at first, but then it crept back on. And basically I've just let it stay. I've never taken responsibility. In 99-2000 I was able to lose about 50 pounds, but after I moved to Illinois and my life got incredibly chaotic, I let it go again.

What I've been thinking about and wondering about is whether I'm really resigned to this being permanent or not. I think I'm not--I think that because I keep reading, planning, checking in here. But then I also think that I don't really seem prepared to do what I know it takes. But this is the only life I've got, and I'll be 40 in February, and so, what, half my life left if I'm lucky? I don't really want to spend what remains continuing handicapped if it's not absolutely unavoidable. And I don't think it is unavoidable.

Okay, that's a long rant, and it's not anything practical. But I'm trying to wrap my mind around why I've been willing to allow myself to be in this position.

Greetings to those I didn't greet! I'll try to catch up and do more replies soon. Right now I'm off to get some sleep.

Love, hugs, and best wishes to all.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hey chicks,

I'm in cool Chicago. Our flight was delayed over an hour and a half leaving KC so its 10:30 pm now and I am trying to unwind to go to sleep. The meeting starts at 8:30 tomorrow so not much sleeping in. It will be a long day tomorrow so I probably won't be checking in unless I can at the airport.

Angela - I loved your post. We all need to stop and put some serious thoughts into our physical health and what we need to be doing to help ourselves. Though, need to be doing isn't always what we end up doing. Wants take over the needs. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Prods me into some serious thinking about my own journey.

Nighters!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:52 AM   #12  

Angela, I think you make some very good points in your post. I think each of us has to answer the question for herself -- how do we want to live the rest of our lives? For me, the turning point came summer before last. My mom had a knee replacement in late June and then my dad had quad bypass surgery in August. I drove down to the San Francisco Bay Area from Portland the night before my dad's surgery. I had a lot of time to reflect in the car -- on how short life really is. I kept thinking that "someday" I would lose weight and be able to do those things I loved -- skiing, scuba diving, backpacking. For some reason, my dad's surgery made me realize that "someday" needed to be sooner rather than later. I didn't know if I could do it or not, but I figured I owed it to myself to try. I managed to lose around 60 pounds over 9 months -- the largest weight loss I've ever had and the longest period of time I've managed to stay OP with eating and exercise. This summer, with a new job, a lot of travel, and a new trainer, I let myself go. I stopped going to the gym & I stopped eating properly. I started to think about just going back to the way I was. But, then I remembered the fun of cross-country skiing last winter, the fun of backpacking this spring, the fun of being able to keep up with my 3.5 y/o grandson, and that I had done this before and I could do it again and here I am .

Angela and everyone else on this thread, best wishes and good health!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:15 AM   #13  
~Insane Java Turtle~

Red face I'm still here

MIA due some drama, trauma and stress. But still kicking. This too shall pass. Town Council met last night and despite having to stoop to the "Poor sick turtle with MS is getting stressed and needs to move into her new house" tactic, it seems to have worked. They're supposed to start on my sewer tap this week. Now Jay and I have to go buy the building supplies (money for that already deposited in checking) and start building. We may be building in snow and rain. Ugh.

I haven't totaled up my points for the week yet, but I may have messed up by ordering chili and a Greek salad. I thought the chili would be lower in points. Oops! But week two started today. I'm feeling better, but it's been a roller coaster of a week end. I can't wait to get back to work and normalcy. I'll write to you all from there. I've missed you!

Drama Queen Java Turtle
Old 11-14-2006, 03:57 PM   #14  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

I've missed just about everything for the last couple of weeks. I'll have to get caught up with you later, but I figured I'd pop in and let you know I'm back now. I lost my tanker job. I've just been out of the semi too long and my backing skills aren't what they need to be. Oh well. I'm going to run off to the barn and hang on some horses necks and feel sorry for myself for the rest of the evening. Then tomorrow I'll land on my feet and start job hunting. Actually, I've already made one call on a waitress job... you see? moving on...
Old 11-14-2006, 04:39 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 285/285/150

Boy if you miss a feew days around here, you are really lost!! I got the flu---all of it four 4 days and am slowly feelimg better I lost 10 pounds, now if they wuold only stay off. Im realistic though and know that they will come right back as I can eat again, but maybe not all of tham?!?!?!?!
Valerie- sorry to hear about you losing your job, Great attitude though! I'll say a prayer for you.
Thin- sorry about your mom! I could never be a nurses assit. either. I used to take care of my grandma, and I would throw up as often as she did!
Closed Thread