Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 06:34 AM   #1  

Smile 300+ And Ready To Try Again #1026

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for the Amazon "store" in the upper right hand corner of the screen on the PURPLE tool bar. A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 06:44 AM   #2  

Hi Ladies - I'm still up and it's 3:35am! John and I are having a late night since he gets a day off tomorrow...we gotta go pick up his paycheque at 1pm and get some groceries tomorrow though - I love it though, lol. Okay...here it comes....MUCHO JUMBO NSV ALERT!!! Now I normally do my walks in 30-45 minutes chunks, so I love it when I can power for a whole hour at a time...well tonight John made a "joke route" and I agreed and said I didn't think I'd do it though...well we just got back from it...we walked from end to end, top to bottom, of our WHOLE TOWN!!! We walked in a circle and went as far as we could in each direction! We were out WALKING THE ENTIRE TIME for 2 hours and 28 minutes!!!! I never took a break!!!! Okay, now we do have a VERY, VERY, VERY, small town, but it was 6-6.5 miles we walked!!! OMG, lol. I'm just beside myself right now. The thing that gets me is that I never stopped either! And there were ALOT of nasty, nasty hills!! Wow. So my October Exercise Minutes just got a huge boost, lol! I'm at 362/1085 minutes...an average of 90.5 minutes a day for each of the first 4 days of the month! Whoot Whoot!! Anyways, I will stop yapping now. Hope all of you are doing great!
Stay OP chickies!

Melissa

Last edited by Vilandra485; 10-05-2006 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Hello All,

Well thankfully I woke up feeling 100% better, no more migraine or the after effects from it Beth is still poorly, and she sounds very chesty now. She wants to go to her dad’s on the weekend, but he’s a smoker and I don’t think she should go there with a bad chest. I will have to send him a message and see if he will refrain from smoking in the same room as her.

Luan – that’s great that you are half way to your first goal. That’s why I love setting mini goals, they are SO achievable and you feel so great when you get there, or even half way there. You are certainly back on track big time

It’s such a shame that things have turned out like they have with ‘him’ but it’s kind of good that this all came to a head now rather than after a possible relationship had started. Imagine finding an email like that if he was your boyfriend

What are you going to wear to that Halloween bash, I am guessing it’s fancy dress? It would be nice if he didn’t go but that you still did, perhaps you could ask him for his ticket for somebody else

Kimberly – you know the main reason I decided to start sorting things out yesterday? It’s so that I could make room for hiding Christmas gifts when I start buying them And of course I wanted to find the few things I had put away for Halloween If it weren’t for those incentives I would have made a start in the first place. I am glad it’s done now though. All I have to do is save some more money now for the presents I want to get

That’s wonderful news about you losing another 2 lbs I just love coming to this site and seeing all the weight everybody is losing

Lilion – I have to say that the cake recipe sounds foul but then that’s because I am so used to making cakes with butter and sugar and all those delightful things. So I am going to be brave and try the recipe. Again it will have to wait until I can go shopping. When you said a plain cake mix, did you mean a ready mix packet, and if you did, do I have to look for a low fat version? Sorry for being so dense

Brenda – ah yes I thought they were called braids over there. Well I think they really suit you, so why hubby doesn’t like you having your hair like that when you go out I don’t know. Maybe he thinks you look too cute and doesn’t want other guys looking at you

Sorry you didn’t get to work out on the rider, but a nice outdoor walk must have been much nicer anyway. When you do go on the rider how long do you normally spend on it?

Amy – glad to hear you are going to the doctors. When you start bringing up ‘yucky’ stuff you just know that there’s a chest infection going on there. I hope you will get some meds and will be feeling much better soon. I am hoping that I don’t end up with Beth’s germs, I normally get whatever is going around, I have a weak immune system. In fact I should have gone for both a flu and a meningitis inoculation this year, but when my appts came around I wasn’t up to going. I hope I don’t end up regretting it.

Good for you for cutting that annoying flap of skin off. I bet your thumb will heal so much faster without it, especially as it kept catching on everything.

I rang the people to come and collect all the stuff I sorted out for the charity. They would have come for it next Wednesday, but I have a doctors appt, so they are coming the following Wednesday. I have a tiny house, and 7 big bags of stuff, plus a suitcase full of clothes. So Daren has had to put everything up in the attic until the pick up date. It’s times like this that I wish I had a car The charity is called Ty Hafan, it raises money for it’s Children’s Cancer Hospice.

I think the likes of you or I should run for president/prime minister. I think it’s the normal person like us that would get our countries into shape, especially the health side of things That story you told me about your sister having health care provided for the kids but not her, that’s just awful. Like you said, who would look after those kids if mum got sick?

Got to say I LOVED the pics of you dressed as a punk, you looked great I am not surprised you had people coming to ‘check you out’ all day Your hair looked so cool like that, I bet it was painful combing it out afterwards thought

Apartment hunting, that sounds fun, I hope you will find something you love and that is in your price range! I am glad you got to have the day off and that jerk in work didn’t. He sounds like a right piece of work, and I don’t blame you for laughing about it that he can’t have the day off because he’s used up too much of his vacation time already

What wonderful news that your friend sent you a thank you card for the jeans and that she is going to look at some second hand stuff now. Did you say anything to her, did she get to see all the posts on here about her? Well whatever brought about the change of heart I am so happy for her because when you have financial worries, the last thing you should be is too proud or whatever to get second hand things.

OK I will do a deal with you, I promise to get back to exercising properly next week when Beth is back in school if you promise to get back to your exercising when you feel better. I have been worried about not having a loss this week because I won’t be able to work out like I have been, and then I worry that I won’t stay on track after my WI. So if I do it, you do it and visa versa ok

Katt – thank you for sharing your story about your relationship with your dad and your childhood. You sure didn’t have an easy time of it, did all of that cause you to comfort eat, was that behind your weight gain? I thought you were a lovely person before, but think even more highly of you now. You could easily shun your dad, and be bitter about the past. But you are bigger than that, you want to enjoy a good relationship with your dad and you do. That’s beautiful. I know it must be frustrating at times that you can’t ask him WHY about a lot of things. Your dad sure sounds like a fighter, imagine living through being hit by a train, and surpassing the doctors expectations of him. It’s terrible that it effected his memory, but at least he is around to be able to forget things

I didn’t realise you weren’t married, but I guess Scoot would be considered your defacto hubby anyway, so it’s ok if I still call him your hubby isn’t it? If not, well I will just call him your other half

Missy – glad to hear that all went well at the hospital. What a relief for you that you don’t have anything to worry about now

WOW that was a mega NSV, walking all that way. I still remember not so long ago that you could hardly walk at all, NOW look at you go. You should be so proud of yourself

Valerie – there’s nothing like a challenge to help motivate is there. Good for you for upping your weights, I hope you won’t be sore after working out with the 5 lb ones.

Sabrosaindia – my memory is like a sieve and I am not sure if I have seen you post here before. But you are back, so Sounds like life has been kind to you, that’s wonderful news about falling in love, losing weight and starting a new job

Xena, Nancy, Annie, Crock, Sabrina, Sue, Jen, Jill, Patti, Brandnewme, Sharon, Sandy, Nelie and everybody else I have missed, Hope you are all having a great day and if you haven’t posted in a while PLEASE do

Got to go get some more work done now, so take care all and bye for now,

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 10-05-2006, 08:21 AM   #4  

Ammi you sent me your migraine lol! i am off now to exercise!
Old 10-05-2006, 08:36 AM   #5  

Patti - you are a better woman than me Patti, no way would I exercise with a migraine Sorry I passed mine onto you Hope it goes soon.

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 10-05-2006, 08:39 AM   #6  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Ladies, I can't thank you enough for your support and understanding. I was just feeling SO awful yesterday and you all cheered me up. I haven't heard anything from the magazine people, and maybe I won't, but at least they know how I feel.

Some people said that the email sounded immature (I think that comment was made). Well, I don't think there is anyone on staff over 30, so maybe that is their excuse. I apologise to all of those wonderful people on here who are over 30 and sensible/mature/caring/understanding...etc... but that is about all I can think of to excuse the way they have behaved. Maybe a few more years of life's experiences and they may handle something like this a little more tactfully.

I didn't mention what happened at the luncheon because I wasn't sure just what I COULD and COULDN'T talk about. They had me kinda scared about what to say and where to say it. Now, I figure it doesn't matter any more, so here goes.

Basically, I arrived at the lunch, on a high after being picked up by a limousine (first ride in one) and chatting to the other finalists. They reassured me that it was fine that I had spoken with the other TV show, as they agreed that we hadn't heard anything from the original show, after they had said something would go to air 6 or 7 weeks beforehand, so we all assumed they had dropped the idea. I was feeling really good about things, and when I arrived I was told to go into a room to have an interview with the people from the original show. Well, that got me worried because I had signed an exclusive contract with the original show. I was in a mad panic and spoke to the editor and that was when the proverbial s**t hit the fan! I had people all over the place telling me off and treating me as though I had done this on purpose. They kept telling me that I should have called them before signing anything and this show had been trying to steal the Slimmer of the Year off the other show for years. How I was supposed to know that is anyone's guess. Anyway, I ended up doing the interview, as I couldn't handle the pressure any more. I also figured that I had entered the competition agreeing to do promotional stuff with the magazine (I think) so I would just have to do what they said and then face the music with the new show later. All through lunch I was terrified about being sued for breaking the contract I had signed. I had never had anything like that happen before, so I didn't know what to expect. I tried to apologise to the people involved, but they just kept basically telling me that what I had done had messed things up and could be the cause of the show not being aired at all now. They also repeated that I shouldn't have done anything like that and I should have contacted them first. It was NOT a comfortable situation at all.

When the announcement was made for the winner, the LAST thing I wanted to do was win. That would have made things worse! I just wanted to get it all out of the way and call the people from the second show and let them know what had happened, so I could find out how much trouble I was in. All of us were given a big box of long-stemmed roses, which were beautiful, but I couldn't take mine home with me. People kept telling me "of course you can take them on the plane", as though I was just making it up as an excuse not to accept the flowers. Western Australia has REALLY strict rules about that sort of thing and NO plant product gets to leave the airport at the other side. Everything has to get dumped into big bins. We KNEW this, but nobody wanted to believe us. I ended up giving my roses to one of the contestants' mother because she has been a great support to this young girl and seemed like a really lovely lady. The magazine staff said that they would send me some roses at home, but I assume they have had second thoughts about that. Not a problem. I know that the mother really appreciated the thought, so that made it worth it anyway.

I ended up making an excuse to get out of the luncheon as soon as I could and we were met outside by the cameraman and sound man from the second TV show. When I explained what had happened they were TOTALLY understanding and reassured me that it would not be a problem at all. I was SO relieved, but I wish I had thought to just call them as soon as the problems started at the lunch. I may have been able to enjoy the lunch a little more after speaking with them.

Anyway... that is about it about the lunch. It wasn't REALLY bad, in the whole scheme of life, but just bad enough to spoil the whole thing for me, when it should have been a wonderful moment in my life. Oh well, I'll just mark it off as experience and move on. Neil and I got in a lovely walk across Sydney Harbour Bridge before heading out to the airport, so that was at least a pleasant part of the day.

You probably would have liked all of that in an abbreviated version, but I think I had to get it all out of my system, so you got an 'ear'ful.

Thank you all for your interest. It is lovely to know that you care.

Take care,

Zelma
Old 10-05-2006, 09:39 AM   #7  

Ammi i had to exercise since i missed monday due to company. it sure did hurt though and i have 30 more minutes to do.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:41 AM   #8  

oops i missed tuesday exercise not monday!
Old 10-05-2006, 09:55 AM   #9  

Talking

Good Morning Chicks!

Melissa - Glad to hear the test went well! That was quite a walk! I was all proud of my hour and 40 this weekend but you way beat me! WTG!

Amy - at your story about the guy and the vacation! I LOVE when stuff like that happens to people who so desperately need it! Hope you get to feeling better!

Kim (and Ammi) – I know I said the cake is 2 pts, but double check it…Basically, the only calories, fat, fiber, etc that is in the cake is what is in the mix. (You buy the mixes that require oil and egg, not the one's that are instant-just-add-water.) So if the side of the box's nutrition info says the servings "as packaged" has 110 calories – the cake is 110 cal per serving prepared too because you haven't added any to speak of. (Egg whites add a tad, but it's so small as to not count.) As a rule of thumb, one WW point is about 50 calories – although the amount of fat and fiber can change that.

Katt – I can't even imagine growing up like you did…I'd be so gun-shy about marriage! Heck after one divorce my now DH had to practically beg to get me to remarry! Glad your relationship with your dad had improved today.

Ammi – Discussed the cake up above in Kim's reply. It isn't foul at all, I assure you! In fact, if you'll look in the recipe thread I have a post there with a Oreo Cake that is REALLY good. Sorry to hear that Beth is feeling poorly. Hope she gets better soon.

Zelma – Such a pity your experience was bad with the TV and luncheon. Their reaction is a little more understandable now that I know you had actually signed an exclusive contract, although certainly no more mature. They handled it very poorly. I can't believe they didn't contact you before the luncheon and just boot you from the contest if they really felt you had breached the contract – that would have been the proper way to handle it – so clearly someone there realizes they had some blame in the whole mess. Sounds like they dropped the ball, you picked it up and now they want to point fingers. All in all, at least you got the publicity you wanted and got your message out. I just wish it had ended more pleasantly for you!

Well, I must run…busy, busy and behind as always! Was a bit of a slug last night…ate dinner, watched Lost…that was about it. So today I need to get moving! Have a great day my Chickies!
Old 10-05-2006, 10:48 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 303.5/see ticker/153.5

Height: 5'5"

Melissa – Wow! Congratulations on getting that much of a walk in yesterday. I wish I had that much time every night to go and walk, but I don’t get much free time between work and school. That took a big chunk out of your exercise goal. Great job!

Ammi – Sorry to hear that Beth is still ill. It’s no fun having the flu and I especially hate it when everything moves to my chest. It makes me feel like I’ve been a smoker my whole life when I haven’t a day in my life. I hope she feels better soon. I’m impressed though that you’re able to keep up with your schedule and get in exercise while taking care of someone else. Way to multitask

Zelma – Sorry everything has been so stressful with the magazine and TV show. Hopefully, things will calm down soon. If those people wanted to avoid what happened, they should have had you sign some sort of contract acknowledging what kind of programs you could and could not speak to. They dug their own grave and now they should have to lay in it.

Kim – Congratulations on having less than 200 to lose now! That definitely puts the goal so much closer in reach. I’ll be so excited when my numbers reverse. . . I’ll have less left to lose than I have lost. It will be awesome!

We went to water aerobics last night and stayed for two classes. It was a lot of fun and actually much more of a workout than I expected. I’m excited to go back again and see what this will do to increase my weight loss.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:49 AM   #11  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

KIM, It’s so great that you’re getting so much exercise of different kinds! I constantly marvel at how much you do, and it’s wonderful that you have so much FUN doing it! WTG on 2 more down and being so close to the half-way point of such a major goal!! AWESOME that you’ve even already broken the 200 to go marker. !!!

AMY, I’m glad you’re getting that cough looked into. Since I’ve gotten older (40’s) I’ve had terrible trouble with a cough turning into bronchitis and hanging on, messing up exercise and feeling awful for long spells. What used to be a simple cough can be so vicious any more. Take care of yourself. You’ll be back on the exercise track before you know it. Good job staying OP even with a treat!

Hey, SABROSA! Wow! It’s wonderful that things are going so beautifully for you!! It’s great that you have that positive energy to help you on your mission to have a healthier life. Go for it! Go for it all!!

LUAN, I kinda wonder if he realized later that he’d left that stuff up on your system and is thinking “OOPS!” Anyway, you’re moving on in such wonderful, positive directions! SO cool that you’ll be working on all those film projects! That will certainly keep you busy through the end of the year. Very cool about the 160 bucks, too!

MELISSA!!! SO incredibly cool that you had such a wonderful walk! I love it when those exercise minutes soar like that. I guess we don’t know what we’re capable of until we challenge ourselves like you just did – AWESOME!

AMMI, I’m glad your migraine is gone, and PATTI, I’m sorry you got it, but WOW! So proud of you for working out anyway! Next let’s find some mean, skinny person to give it to and get it off OUR list! Or box it up and threaten the FFM with it if she doesn’t get her job done – ha!

ZELMA, I always enjoy your posts and I certainly appreciate your need to blow off some steam! Now we get a better idea of what happened. I know that you were so careful not to give away any info that you knew was off limits, and I’m sorry anything tinged such a glorious period in your life.
You’re very lucky, however, to have found this wonderful strength in yourself, to have such a spark that you’re so good at sharing it, motivating and inspiring others, and that you have such a wonderful hubby and friends to share it with. Isn’t life wonderful, even with a few stinky people in it?? Heck, maybe that just helps us appreciate the gems in our lives more. … and YOU, my friend, are a gem.

Busy, busy, LILION, I wrote you over on the ‘Hens’, but hello again, have a wonderful day, and keep up the good work!!!

Not much new here. I got a GLIMPSE of a 275 reading on the scale this morning, but since I’m a compulsive scale watcher (& I’m happy that way) I don’t change my ticker until it reads something for 3 days. But still, haven’t seen that number in a long time! I got down to 276 over the summer, but being still on the road and bummed out about it, I let it slide back up to the high 280’s before I got a grip again. Anyway, I love watching the scale sneak down when I’m working this hard at losing.

Off to work out – YIPPEE (and I mean that – not being sarcastic. Isn’t that cool?)
Old 10-05-2006, 10:52 AM   #12  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

MANDA - You snuck in on me! WTG with those water aerobics classes. I'll have to look into them next summer. It would be so nice to be in the water again. Let us know what effect it has on your wt loss. I hear that swimming is actually one of hte best exercises there is.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:23 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 357/see tracker/150

Height: 5'2"

Good morning Chickies~~

How are you all doing today? I'm very happy because my scale has finally moved down to 230.6 this morning. I've been doing really good with my eating plan and not so good with my exercise plan. I've just been trying to work out my schedule, but it's kind of hard right now because I'm going for my CDL classes and until I actually get my school bus drivers license, I don't really have a set schedule, you know? I'm supposed to be going for my license in a couple of weeks so it'll be a lot easier then, but I just feel disappointed because I plan on going to the gym and then I can't get there because of work, the dogs, life...*sigh* I've decided not to beat myself up about it and just pay strict attention to my eating.

This is just a quick fly by post to let you all know that I'm still here reading and rooting for you all. I have to go and get ready for work. You all have a great day. I'll try to do personals later.

Vicki
Old 10-05-2006, 11:25 AM   #14  

Zelma – I understand why you didn’t say anything to us about the luncheon. It must have been so difficult for you to hear us all waffling on and asking how it went only for you not to be able to honestly answer. I am so sorry it all went so badly wrong, it’s such a shame. You just need to focus now on the good you can do thanks to that interview rather than what you have been accused of because of it

Patti – you are so committed to your exercising to be doing it with a migraine. I hope the FFM is taking note and will reward you accordingly

Lilion – thanks for the extra info about the cake, it makes sense really doesn’t it. Just work out the points from the box and then add the no point soda and egg whites. I will take my points calculator with me next time I shop and see what yummy cake mix I can get for not TOO many points I am going to have to go over to the recipe thread next and look at that yummy sounding Oreo Cake recipe you have posted.

Amanda – when I get a cold it always moves to my chest too and takes forever to shift, so I know what you mean about being a non smoker yet feeling like you have smoked all your life Beth has been bringing up a lot of gunk today so hopefully the sooner it shifts the sooner she will get better.

Valerie – I love your idea of boxing up the migraine when Patti has got shot of it and threatening the FFM with it if she isn’t nicer to all that need her

Great news that you saw 275 on the scales, let’s hope it stays that way for the required 3 days so that you can make if official on the ticker

I am pleased to say I got in my full hour of exercise today, all while Beth slept on the sofa in the room I exercised in. She is lucky she didn’t get a kick or a thump in the head The room is so small that when I do half of the moves of the WATP DVD I am hanging over the sofa, or kicking towards it etc. I managed to miss her though and she slept on.

I am going to go give her some medicine now, so bye for now,

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 10-05-2006, 11:26 AM   #15  

Vicki - great news on the weight loss. It's understandable that you can't exercise much now, but at least you are 100% in control of what you are eating and that is obviously working for you

Hugs,

Ammi
Closed Thread