Old 09-18-2006, 07:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens 40+ And Ready To Lose..Volume #93

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

WELCOME!!
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning ladies,

This will be a quickie. Its going to be a busy week. We leave for Nashville on Thursday morning and I have done pretty much nothing to get ready. We'll be gone Thursday through Tuesday. DH is having his Navy reunion there this year - last year we went to Las Vegas. Neither of us have been there before so we're excited - road trip and a new place to see.

Saturday was spent down at mom's working. I did a lot to clean up her flower area that was over grown and had lots of little fences and crap that needed picking up and thrown away. Trying to make the place look better since its on the market. Again - several of us there working but never enough done.

She is feeling better since they changed her nitro medicines. But she still is not cleared to move in my opinion. She goes back to the internist on 10/4.

Yesterday, I was a total frump and slug. I did very little around the place. I guess I felt entitled after staying home on Friday morning and having gotten the place cleaned. Maybe it was the dreary drizzle. I tried watching TV until the damn DirecTV lost its signal on the bedroom TV. My alternative was to watch football and golf with DH as the HDTV was working fine. There were many other things I could have been doing but just chose not to.

Better get out and feed the horses and jump in the shower.

to all.

to 2Cute as she faces the funeral this week.
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:20 AM   #3  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

2CUTE, my heart goes out to you. I'm so sad for your loss, and I pray that you have many fond and wonderful memories to hold in your heart.

VORTEX - Angela, married? Yup, so many of the good ones are... but it's still sweet to get that kind of attention, even if it's going nowhere.

TERRI - If I don't talk to ya before you leave for Nashville, then have a wonderful time. And if you stop to eat at Lambert's on the way down there, well, good luck. Ahhh, I can smell those 'throwed rolls' from here!

Well, the scale has been not only stuck, but on the rise lately. I knew a lot of it had to do with building muscle and not getting enough sleep, but on the Saturday I... well, I binged. Not pretty. Two candy bars, an ice cream cone and a pile of Szechwan Chicken later - and I'm down a pound to 280! What's up with that?! I was active on Sunday, but didn't get any of what I think of as "exercise" - no disciplined, organized huffing and sweating, but I did get a good nights sleep twice in a row.

Interview this morning means I have to do a PM workout. I hate late day workouts, but I think I'll do better at it now that I'm a whole pound skinnier - HA! Know what's weird? Even with the scale not having moved lately, my skin feels noticably looser. Sorry if that's TMI, but it's just weird. Ah, to be young and, if not lean, at least tighter.

Onward...........
NoLifeWithoutHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:32 AM   #4  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Good morning!

Terri, have fun on your trip!

Angela, Awww...dang it!

Valerie, good luck on the interview!

2Cute, I'm happy that your sister is no longer in pain and sad for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.

WI this morning, down 2 pounds. That's an even 50 so far!

Have a great day everyone.
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:12 AM   #5  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

2Cute: My heart goes out to you! I know there is nothing that a person can really say that helps in these circumstances, but know that I am thinking of you and remembering you and your sister in my prayers.

Well I survived a weekend of camping...but my diet suffered horribly! I was all set to be good and try to keep the points in check...I even took my one-point homemade soup with me. NOT! I ate like an absolute PIG! Friday was Burger King and I had the grilled chicken and split fries with DH, which wasn't too bad...but it had been snack day at work and I'd had 25 pts before I even left the office! On Saturday we had fairly decent breakfasts and even lunch - but dinner was the potluck and I just threw the diet out the window! I'm not going to try to phrase it nice and say I made bad choices - I just consciously disregarded the whole thing. Sunday was no better. We did Waffle House – all you can eat – and I ate all I could. Then we stopped at the Russell-Stover outlet and got candy on top of it! On the up side…Waffle House was my only meal of the day, but it was horrible.

I am attempting to repair the damage today. I had oatmeal for breakfast and veggie soup and fruit for lunch. I'll make sure dinner is filling and very low point. But I probably am not even going to record my weight on Wednesday – Hopefully it'll be like Chicago and after two weeks I'll show a nice drop instead of a gain.

Angela – Sorry to hear your lawyer is married. But flirting is nice no matter what the status, huh?

Ruth – Glad to see you are back and I'm thinking of you! on getting back to 2-town! Keeping on that MRI!

Mary! My turtley friend! Sounds like you've been really, really busy! I have to ask…why set a new house behind the old house? Is the old one just not habitable anymore? If you do tear it down, you should save some of it, the bricks, etc, and build something with them…maybe a big planter or a loose-laid brick patio...to remember the old house by! Sorry to hear about the cane – hope that gets better fast!

Karen: Doesn't Clorox leave some taste on the veggies? Also, I've heard they don't keep very long if you wash them before refridgerating, I've always washed before use, but not immediately. Tell me what you've noticed, please.

To those I haven't mentioned by name:

Well all, I managed to get a few hours of freedom from hearings so I best get to work and make the most of it! Love to all.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:53 PM   #6  

Hello!
I'm trying to get used to the thread system used on this board, LOL. I can't remember what I read last or where it was, LOL.

I'll catch on. Please bear with me in the meantime, as I'm pretty sure I'm missing posts.

The weekend was fairly smooth with the exception of a run-in with a bag of baked cheetos. I think my fingers are now permanently day-glow orange, LOL.

Can't change habits overnight and I'm not going to dwell on it. Have to focus on the good. I need to MOVE MY PUMPKIN, in more ways than one!

My tv is my enemy today. In the time that I typed this, I saw 2 commercials for Pop-tarts, one for McDonalds, and one for Spaghettios.

The worst part is that this is the Cartoon Network. These commercials are geared to kids. No wonder we are an overweight nation.

Hope everyone has a good, healthy day.
Christine
4MeNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:35 PM   #7  
aka Valerie

CHRISTINE: "My tv is my enemy today." YUP! Every day! I watch very little TV - don't even have cable or dish. Not only am I too busy, I just figure if I want my brain washed, I can probably find someone better for it than greedy corporate America. * It does take a while to catch one to the whole 3FC scene - there's so much here! There's a thing on each thread to "VIEW FIRST UNREAD POST", but as soon as you post on one thread, the system thinks you've read them all. Sometimes I read my favorite threads first, then go back and do my replies or posts for the day. I just hope you're enjoying the site!!!

LILION - I hope you had a whole lot of fun on your wild weekend. Life must go on, and chow happens, but moving on from that little old weekend is what it's all about. Your mission, should you chose to accept it, is to Seize the Day!, begin again, take control of Tuesday, and use that little hammer of yours to smash any cupcakes anybody brings into the office. k? ...I'm in the same boat. I had a carb attack weekend, but it's time to get back to work. Besides, you've probably forgotten but you only have one little pound to go to hit 90!

KAREN - The tests they put me through were murder, including a 10-key test. I haven't done 10-key in literally 10 years. I can still do it, but I'm slow and make errors now. A couple days of practice and I'd be WAY better. I was feeling pretty lousy about all of it until the interview. He could see I had the skills, but was just rusty, and I'm very trainable. He called me later in the afternoon and asked if I'd take a position with a CPA but for only 15 hours a week. I figure that will get my foot in the door anyway and bring my payroll brain cells back to life.

Two things.
Can't remember if I told you gals, but I bought this awesome pair of zip up knee high fashion boots yesterday. They didn't quite zip up, but I was sure they would by the spring, or next fall. I loved them, and they were only $6! Simon loved them too. He seemed to think they were the very best chew toy in the whole house.

On the NSV side, When I was leaving for my interview this morning DH asked if I was wearing a new suit. I told him no, but the last time I had it on was when his DD & her mother took us to court. I was packed into it like a sausage with my rolls and big butt squishing out, and I was terribly humiliated at the time. Today the thing was hanging loose on me and looked pretty good.

Also (ok-this makes three things) I worked out tonight, which I usually hate because I'm burned out in the evenings and it's harder to do. Even so, I could feel it getting just a tiny bit easier. I'm gaining just a tiny bit more condition, strength and endurance, but holey I've got a long way to go!
Old 09-19-2006, 03:04 AM   #8  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilion View Post
Good Morning Ladies!

Karen: Doesn't Clorox leave some taste on the veggies? Also, I've heard they don't keep very long if you wash them before refridgerating, I've always washed before use, but not immediately. Tell me what you've noticed, please.
Lilion -- I have never experienced an off taste. I use it for everything whether it needs peeling or not, even berries or apples where the skin is eaten. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I put the eggs in it too. It takes care of the possibility of salmonella on the shell. Mind you, all veggies, fruit, and eggs are done at separate times. Just make sure they also spend enough time in the fresh water and rinse well.

Before I started this I never washed before I was going to eat, but now, I come home and dump them in the "bath" right away. I just make sure everything is completly dry with paper towels before I put them away. I always thought the prohibition on washing was just because they would be moist in storage. My produce has never spoiled, unless I completely forgot about it for weeks! As a matter of fact it seems to keep longer as many things that could affect its staying power may be eliminated by the bath.

Another product that I also started using that I experimented with as well, is Fruit and Veggie Saver from Cedar Fresh. www.cedarfresh.com I put one of those little packets in each crisper and keep the veggies and fruit separate as they both emit a gas when ripening that is different. I tried keeping one particular thing (didn't matter what) in the crisper with this packet and one of the same outside in some other part of the fridge. Sure enough the one in with the packet stayed fresher longer. I don't remember exactly how much I paid for it, something like $1.79 and they are good for a couple of months.
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:49 AM   #9  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Valerie--Sorry bout your boots, but YAY on the NSV.

Not much going on here. Just stopping by to say good morning, have a great OP Tuesday.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:41 PM   #10  

Talking Swashbuckler's Unite!

Ahoy there me buxom beauties and how be ye today?

Did you know it's Talk Like a Pirate Day? http://www.talklikeapirate.com

In honor o' th' tide, I tookst this quiz: http://www.piratequiz.com/ t' learn me pirate name! It says, says it:

My pirate name is:
Iron Anne Rackham

A pirate's life isn't easy; it takes a tough person. That's okay with you, though, since you a tough person. You have the good fortune of having a good name, since Rackham (pronounced RACKem, not rack-ham) is one of the coolest sounding surnames for a pirate. Arr!

I do indeed be havin' a cool-soundin' Buccanneer name! Arrr!

Okay, enough of that!

Karen - thanks for the info. I've always wondered about washing veggies. Sometimes I think the quick rinse I give them isn't enough. I am no germ-a-phobe...but with all the things you could get sick with - you can't really be too careful! I have to check out the crisper freshener. Sometimes my lettuce and such sits long enough to look suspiciously like alien life-forms.

Valerie - Good NSV! Feels good when you look good, doesn't it? Poor little Simon! He must not have any toys! Tell him Lilion said, "NO-NO! Bad Dog!" Then give him puppy kisses for me!

Christine - Basically, we create a new thread every 30 posts or so. Apparently people on dial-up load too slowly otherwise. So just follow the numbers! I know what you mean about commercials. Every other one is for food I swear and the kids channels like Disney and Nick are the worst! Not only are they for candy or fast food...they purposely go out of the way to make adults look like absolute idiots, which royally ticks me off. Guess I'm getting old, but they are very upsetting to me sometimes.

Angela, Terri, Ruth, Thin, Celery, Mary - and whoever I'm missing -

Well everyone, I did do exactly what I said I would yesterday. I ate lots of fruits and veggies and ended the day with 21 pts. I plan on being well under my 28 allowed today too. It isn't a matter of making up for the bad stuff this weekend really, so much as getting back on track, and being strict about it. Then when I'm back on track I can loosen up again. But for now, I think this is a good thing.

I suppose I must be shove'n off now. Avast! I must be gettin' ready fer me last hearin' an' then lunch...skillet zucchini - me favorite low-point meal! Ye ladies be havin' a good tide an' I`ll chat wi' ye later! Arrr!
Old 09-19-2006, 03:31 PM   #11  
aka Valerie

LILION - I couldn't resist the Pirate Name quiz! I'm...
Roger Vane ...I tend to blend into the background occasionally, but that's okay, because it's much easier to sneak up on people and disembowel them that way. Arr!
Old 09-19-2006, 04:27 PM   #12  

ARRR!

The Pirate Quiz was jolly good fun, indeed.

I be Mad Charity Flint - "Every pirate is a little bit crazy. You, though, are more than just a little bit. Like the rock flint, you're hard and sharp. But, also like flint, you're easily chipped, and sparky. Arr!"

Sounds about right, LOL.

I'm making the 3FC version of white chili tonight. Smells pretty good!
4MeNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #13  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Gosh! It was DEAD here yesterday, wasn't it ladies? Must have been a busy, busy Tuesday in real life!

I'm in quite a good mood today. Did a lot of running around and suffered from the usual "Can't get anything done" sydrome - but I had a killer dinner (Chicken Piccata- mmmm! I'd never made it before but that's a keeper!) and a reasonably decent nights sleep. DH came to bed and snuggled at 6 a.m. until I HAD to get out of bed...not much incentive except for the somewhat urgent whining of the dogs. Took a brisk walk to the office today! It's under 60 today. Got a BIG cup of my favorite coffee! I'm set!

Christine - How was the Chili? I'm quite fond of it myself. Did you see my receipe on the recipe thread?

Well, that's it for me until someone else posts I guess! I have no one left to respond to!

Later Ladies!
Old 09-20-2006, 11:46 AM   #14  
aka Valerie

LILION, I think it was just slow yesterday because we were all out robbing & pillaging with a little swashbuckling in our spare time... at least, that's what I was doing. ** It sounds like you're off to a wonderful Wednesday! I'm with you on the dog thing - when they whine, I listen! Especially if Simon is walking back and forth across my head!!

This morning Max (collie mix) came up beside the bed, snuck just partway on so he could lay his soft cheek on my cheek. It was SO cute. He's never done that before.

Went to work out class this morning, and I SWEAR someone stole my adrenilin. I tried to think of something to make me mad, determined, pumped up, anything! But I just couldn't get in to it. I didn't stop tho, and when it was time for floor work, I put it ALL into the ab work. Hopefully my gut will feel like Joe Frazer thumped me there by tomorrow. I kinda like sore abs - means I was DOing something, and it's constant reminder - 'yeah, you did good, girl.'

I just wish the goofy scale would be reasonable. It won't go down, and if it goes down it bounces back up again. I hope this 6 week program helps get the scale on track. I'm just working out religiously & eating fairly well (really well most of the time.) I KNOW I'm doing my body good and can feel it every time I exersize. It must be the low water intake lately. Yeah, that has to be it.

Last edited by NoLifeWithoutHorses; 09-20-2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:24 PM   #15  

Valerie - I'm with you on the sore muscles. Not that I like pain...but I like to feel like I've done something when I work out. Trouble is I never work out! I need to get back to that so bad. I really enjoy weights, but we don't belong to a gym now. We're actually thinkin of looking into a bowflex or some sort of machine for the home.

Happy to report the bad food weekend has left me mostly unscathed. Didn't go down, but I'm still under 240! So I feel better.

Oh! and an NSV today. I had to buy panyhose yesterday and they were out of 4X JMS brand. (I'm too tall for anything else) Anyway, I've been wearing 4X since I had my son- over 11 years ago. But they were out and I looked at the package and realized that I didn't need a 4X! I'm proudly wearing a 3X today and they don't even feel too tight!