Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 01:20 PM   #16  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Just a quick check-in to say hi! Although I don't post often, I love to read how you are all doing.

Wyllen, Wow! I didn't realize you were so close to goal, although I should have, your ticker has been steadily moving down. Good for you!

Ammi, your shape doesn't sound so odd to me; it sounds just like my shape. . I always think my top half looks pretty good, and finally I'm losing some from the bottom half too. Of course, even when I was a more "normal" size, I was never happy with my tummy and thighs.

Sharon, Hope your knee heals quickly. Good thing you didn't re-injure that ankle.

Patti - I'm glad to hear you're on plan again. You'll be back down before you know it.

Michelle, I'm sorry to hear that it's difficult for you right now. IMO, it does get easier as you go. Eventually a lot of it just becomes habit, and you don't have to fight so hard. (like Kim mentions it is for her now - yay Kim) I love the idea of walking when you're discouraged.

Hi to everyone else. I love reading of everyone's accomplishments, challenges, tips, etc. Keep them coming.

The scales are moving slowly for me, but I did see a loss this week (-2). At least the 230s aren't taking as long as the 240s did. Have a great day all.

Last edited by jtammy; 09-06-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:47 PM   #17  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

XENA - you wrote:
Quote:
(Yes, I have watched one too many Dr. Phil shows.....if I ever ask you, "How's that workin' for ya?", you have my permission to cyber-slap me. )
You cracked me up! He always seems to say that when someone is stubbornly, stupidly saying "I do this and I'm not going to change." I guess he's found a more concise, in-your-face way of saying "If you keep doing what you've always done, you're going to get what you've always gotten."

HEATHER - I'm glad both that you're receiving some well deserved applause for your outstanding effort and accomplishment (only 11# to go!), and that your finding your rhythem, your 'game', again. I understand what you mean about calling attention to your previous weight, but let's face it - it's a growing problem for half the population. We aren't alone, and we are less of a minority than we were (just look at our children), but you are a wonderful example of what can be accomplished. Yes, it's too bad that we ever got as heavy as we have, but is there really more pride in never facing a challenge, than in conquering a challenge not of your choosing? I think not. Your accomplishment is an inspiraton not just to us here, but to people you meet whom you may never even realize. You've already done something really incredible, because most people who reach these weights don't do anything about it. You should only have pride in your loss. Our weights at their highs just are what they are, not WHO we are. Those compliments are well deserved and have to feel great - enjoy every second of it... then get back 'in your game' and keep kicking it! You aren't done being a hero yet. In fact, that job's just begun, as it has for many WONderful ladies here! (Just a burden ya hafta bear! )

SHARON & KIM, When you talk about falling, oh my. I've gone down several times just walking across an icy or pot-holed truck lot - right there in the middle for everyone to see. Just gettin back on my feet in exercise class in an ordeal. Everyone else just rolls up on their feet, me, I'm still climbing while they're already starting their stretches. Oh, well. Fact of life - they just keep moving the floor farther away, and making it harder, every year. Sharon, I hope that knee feels better soon!

KENYA - BRAVO AGAIN, for keeping your program on track so well. You're doing such a consistant, life-changing thing, and doing it well!

Go JILL!!!!! and 270's here WE come! Lead the way, my friend!

Excellent, PATTI - Getting back OP is the hardest part, huh? You're on your way and I'm cheering for you

AMMI, I remember what a huge difference it made for my to lose just HALF of what you've lost since January. I'm so impressed and happy for you! I was in the 280's then, lost a bit but found it again, and now I'm looking forward to really making progress and joining you in that "Boy! I feel better now" deal. At least back then I was exercising really regularly. Getting back into it at the rate I am is totally whipping me, but it's gotta be done.

MICHELLE, I think it's grand that you're trying so hard, even when it's a struggle. There are some cheer leaders to help boost you on if you need them. The first few days are the very hardest for me, but sometimes you just don't feel 'in' to it. Would it help to take a couple days to re-group, like Ammi said? Then come back at it? Or is it best for you 'where you're at' to keeping on keepin' on? I admire your determination to be healthier! You're going to do it!

I'm still aching today, a bit worse than yesterday even, but I made it through exercise class. I wasn't hungry yesterday, but today I've been starving. I was up to 1100 cals by 1 p.m. I think it's a natural reaction to all this unaccustomed exercise, so I'm feeding my body the good stuff it must need. OK, I had ONE nacho chip, but at 25 calories a piece, I wasn't tempted to open the bag a second time. Good thing, cuz I think it comes under the 'refined flour' catagory of sins.

Onward and downward...

TAMMY!!! You snuck in on me! GREAT job that you're still bumping that scale steadily downwards!!! I'm glad to see you checking in on us!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:05 PM   #18  

Ammi~Thanks so much for the suggestion. I think that may be a good idea. I may actually be getting sick ( a cold) So who knows...maybe I should just try to get my mind off of it for a few days. I don't want to go nuts and over eat. But just a break like you mentioned would help I bet.

Valerie and Tammy~Thanks for the replies and encouragement. I know I will keep trying. Some days it just feels so hard. But I know all of you know what I am talking about when I say that!

Like I said I think I may actually be getting a cold. And TOM is coming soon. So I am sure my mind/body is just feeling tired. But thanks to you all for the support. You girls are great!! And such inspiration!

Hope you all are having a good day!

Michelle
Old 09-06-2006, 04:02 PM   #19  
Again, shall we?

S/C/G: 400/376/180

Height: 5'10"

Good Afternoon ladies! Eveyone is doing so well!! I'm doing a real quick check in- no personals this time

Just as soon as I say eating healthy foods is becoming a habit for me I absentmindedly pick up a piece of pound cake at work today and not until I'm eating my last bite do I even realize I'm eating it. AHHHH! I would so angry- it was my fault- I'd been so busy at work that I hadn't had time to have my mid morning snack, so i guess my body was so hungry it just reached out and ate what it could find. Then i forgot to bring my nutrisystem meal with me today- so i had a baked potato and fruit. Not bad, but not perfect. I'm so frustrated, how could i eat without even realizing it?!?

Oh- well, for a week with TOM I'm doing good- so I'll just move on! I have my hip-hop dance class tonight. I am excited for the class- okay, my mind is wondering, very sleepy and crampy, so i'll check in later after my workout! Stay OP chickies!
Old 09-06-2006, 04:19 PM   #20  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimpossible View Post
I'm so frustrated, how could i eat without even realizing it?!?
I think that's exactly how many of us got here! I never did the midnight trips to the fridge or anything like that, but there have been plenty of times where I would sit down with a treat, intending to only have a "normal" amount of whatever it was, only to look down and realize it's almost ALL gone Ice cream, chips, pretzels, pepperoni...pretty much anything can disappear without me honestly realizing how much I'd already eaten!

Valerie--AWESOME job choosing healthy foods when you're hungry (despite the one chip--and mega cheers to you for being ABLE to stop at just one!) This is exactly what I was becoming incapable of doing (both choosing healthy foods and "having just one"), which is why I put myself on such a strict plan with spelled-out menus for every day.

jtammy--2 pounds is a GREAT loss!

Michelle--I totally hear you on the TOM...all I want today is a box (yeah, not one, but a whole box) of those Zebra Cakes or Fancy Cakes...they are my weakness, and my dear Aunt Flo certainly loves them It's taking all I've got to stick to my planned menus, but I know it will be over in a couple days.

Well, I did it...I went for a walk after work It wasn't very far (about 3/4 mile), but it's better than sitting on my butt in front of the tv all evening, plus I could feel myself getting out of breath going up the hill, so I know it did my body some good. I'll stick with one lap around the block for now (I drove around the block and measure .7 miles, but I got a little further since it takes a little walking just to get out to the sidewalk), and I'll eventually work up to 2 laps (about 1.5 miles).
Old 09-06-2006, 04:34 PM   #21  

Hello all!

Popping in for a quickie! I should be working - as usual. Took the weekend and went to Chicago with DH and DS. It was fun and SO MUCH walking! But I ate very poorly and the scale shows it - evil scale . But the one pound increase I think will be gone next week, along with some of it's friends. I hope you all had a good weekend and great week so far!

Valerie's post got me thinking - does anyone else find themselves noticing how many fat people there are around us now? I never used to see the difference - when I was one of the biggest ones I knew - but now I seem to notice how very many people are overweight. I especially notice children - mostly at the grocery stores when I see them with their mom's loading up on junk and candy and fatty, fried things. I want to yell - "Stop! Don't you know what you are doing to yourselves and your child?" I feel like one of those ex-smokers who throw a fit when they see someone lighting up. Not that I'm some model of weight loss perfection - those are people like Zelma and Heather! I always heard the statistics on how many overweight people there were in the US - I just never really paid attention until now. It's frightening, really.

Well all, this was a pop in for no real reason except to say hi... So, HI! Hope you all have a healthy day!

Last edited by Lilion; 09-06-2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Tammy - oh well at least I am not the only one with a 'unique' shape I shall take comfort from the fact that your bottom half is getting smaller now. I know by my measurements that I have got smaller, but just not to the extent that I am getting better proportioned Oh well, one day I have to admit that I have never been the 'perfect' figure 8 shape, so I guess I am the same now but just in bigger sizes

well done on your 2 lbs lost, won't be long before you are out of the 230's, that sounds so much nicer than the 260s that I am still in

Valerie - I will be waiting for those wonderful words written by you that you are feeling so much better for losing even more weight. I found that just getting under 300 made a huge difference, but the more I lose the less pain I have with my feet and back, and of course I can do my own shoes up now, don't need Daren to do it for me anymore, and that's something that I am really pleased about!!

Good for you for pushing yourself to get back to the amount of exercise you used to do, just look forward to the great feeling of being able to do it easier and easier. You just ooze determination right now, it's brilliant!

Michelle - TOM and a cold, together they make dieting so hard. If you are going to take a break then this seems the perfect time to do it. Then when you are feeling fit again you can get back on track with so much renewed determination!! Do cold's last long with you. Mine last at least a week, and can go for up to 2 months, though that's normally just having to always blow my nose, not a full on cold.

Kimberly - it's amazing how we automatically go to eat food without thinking about it, like you today when you ended up eating the pound cake (what is that by the way)? The thing that always nearly gets me is if I am cooking for the family and get a bit of food on my fingers. I always go to lick my fingers. It's just habit, but I am managing to keep from doing it. I am glad you aren't being hard on yourself about your little slip. You are doing brilliantly considering you have TOM as well By the way, I haven't had TOM for 4 years, so thankfully I don't have the bad things that TOM brings. I remember the moods and the cravings though so I definitely have sympathy for you and the others when TOM comes along and threatens your diets

Jill - good for you for going for a walk after work. Just think if you keep on doing that walk, soon you will be able to do it without getting breathless, then you will have proof that you are getting fitter

Lilion - glad you had such a wonderful time in Chicago! I've been there. Well to the airport anyway I liked the airport Sorry you gained a little, but I bet it won't be long til you lose it again.

Bye for now,

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 09-06-2006, 05:26 PM   #23  
Staying Positive!

S/C/G: 398/258/199

Height: 5'3"

Hello ladies. Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I am doing my best and can't wait to take another photo when I shed six more pounds!

Ammi- My husband get back home on September 22
Old 09-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Kenya - I keep forgetting to say........WOOHOO so close to losing 100 lbs, that is fantastic. I look forward to seeing the photos of you at that particular milestone.

Oh boy, September 22, I bet it seems so so far away I hope you are getting to talk to him every day at least. Just think when he comes home you will have reached that 100 lbs lost and can have a celebration with your hubby

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 09-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Jilly – Nearing non-obesity – I love it! And don’t look down at ¾ of a mile – I KNOW I did less to start than that! You just gotta build up to it! YAY for exercising!!!!!!

Michelle -- I remember feeling like the weight would never come off. It comes off slower than we would like, but it does come off if you keep at it. Not feeling well certainly makes a difference!

Kim – Eating without thinking! I was the Queen! Consciousness is one of my “5 C’s” of weight loss (see sig!)

Valerie said:
Quote:
Yes, it's too bad that we ever got as heavy as we have, but is there really more pride in never facing a challenge, than in conquering a challenge not of your choosing? I think not. Your accomplishment is an inspiraton not just to us here, but to people you meet whom you may never even realize. You've already done something really incredible, because most people who reach these weights don't do anything about it. You should only have pride in your loss. Our weights at their highs just are what they are, not WHO we are. Those compliments are well deserved and have to feel great - enjoy every second of it... then get back 'in your game' and keep kicking it! You aren't done being a hero yet. In fact, that job's just begun, as it has for many WONderful ladies here! (Just a burden ya hafta bear! )
Your post nearly made me CRY!! You are so right that my weight is not who I am, and yet I let it define me -- for most of my life!!! And I really have done something many don't! I hope I can inspire some of you to keep going -- you certainly help ME!!!

Then Lilion said:
Quote:
does anyone else find themselves noticing how many fat people there are around us now? I never used to see the difference - when I was one of the biggest ones I knew - but now I seem to notice how very many people are overweight.
OMG, I was just thinking this TODAY! Our new school year is starting. I think I used to be one of the 2 fattest faculty members. There may be a couple of staff members as big as I was, but I was about the biggest on campus. That’s how I coded myself. I’m huge and everyone else is smaller. The other faculty member took a job somewhere else and I lost 100 pounds. So I’m looking around at the faculty and staff and realizing just HOW MANY other people – faculty and staff – are overweight and obese! I never realized it before!

So, 2 NSVs (non scale victories) today:

We had a reception for new freshmen and I decided to just go ahead and introduce myself to them and chat. I do not find it easy to be outgoing in those situations, but I figured “it’s a whole new world” and just did it! I think losing weight may make social functioning a little bit easier! One less hurdle: the voice in my head telling me how fat I am!

I went back to the store I had shopped at over the weekend to buy some shirts I had put on hold. I tried them on, but they seemed a little big and are turtlenecks, so I can’t wear them yet. I almost didn’t get them because I figured they would be too big in a couple months, but then I thought, why not try one size smaller? THEY FIT! Size MEDIUM. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that on a label before!!!!! Of course then I immediately tried on other types of shirt in medium – no dice. But STILL!!!
Old 09-06-2006, 07:07 PM   #26  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

just checkin in. weighed in today. down 1.8. not as great as i wanted, but i drank some over the weekend. this week. HARDCORE!!
Old 09-06-2006, 08:02 PM   #27  
aka Valerie

LUAN, like, HELLLLL-LO? You're DOWN almost 2 pounds!!! Two more, farther away from the big '3'. Every once counts! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! GOOD JOB!!! You've even got a really good jump on your Sept workout goal, so you're already on your way to 'hardcore'. GO FOR IT!

HEATHER, that medium size sweater thing - that ROCKS!!! And great job getting out there and chatting with the students. You know, they'r FAR, FAR more likely to sign up for one of your classes thinking "I'd like to take one of her classes because when I met her she was SO nice" than "Gee, duh, um, I think I'll sign up for, um, duh.... one of the fat ladies, um... lesson thingies." After all, some of them are there to learn, not just hit on the profs. haha.

Wow, AMMI - you're just all revved up and flying towards that 70 pound marker! GO GIRL GO!!!

JILL, I think that was a great idea to measure the distance around your block! You'll be doing 2 laps before you know it... and then on to three.

As for me, I actually got out and took the dogs for a hike. Good thing I decided to turn around and come back the way I'd gone in... turns out that trail doesn't come all the way around, and I'd have ended up on the wrong side of the lake if I'd kept going, with no way to get back to my car! On the way back out of the park I picked up a map at the park office. Duh! At least I won't get lost next time. As stiff and sore as I've been, that walking made me feel a lot better! (Of course now I've been sitting at the 'puter and my back is killing me again. oh well.)

As for the days calories, I had hit 1600 and then had a big hunk of watermelon, so I'm getting it up there. I especially worry about having too many calories too early in the day. The old fear: 'What if I get hungry later and don't have any calories banked???' BUt I usually get busier as the day goes on, and don't usually want much. I'm also going to try not eating after six p.m., since that's commonly recommended, and in the long run is a good habit I feel.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:13 PM   #28  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

Hey guys!! Just have a minute to check in. Rockstar-Supernova is on TV tonight so I can't stay and chat. Been a busy day. Work, groceries, dinner then we went for a walk. Now its almost bedtime.

Lilion~ Its certainly not only the US that its becoming an epidemic. Canada too. I also have issues with obese children. My heart aches for them knowing how hard it is to be teased, not "fit" into the cool clothes etc.and if they could only see what they may have in store for them and how hard it is to lose later in life.

Kenya~ So close!!!! 100 here you come!

Jill and Valerie~ Way to go on getting some exercise. Keep it up!

OK.... I really have to run. Sorry I didn't get a chance to finish my personals. I'll be thinking about you all and sending your way.

Brenda

Last edited by going to lose 200; 09-06-2006 at 08:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-06-2006, 08:16 PM   #29  

KIM~ I know what you mean about eating and not even realizing it. I have done that so many times!

JILL~Yeah TOM brings on horrible cravings more me. I crave salty foods like no tommrow! Thats great you went walking. I am trying to get more walking in
myself.

Ammi~My colds can last literally from a day to two weeks. I think I just may have had a fever these last few days. Also when TOM comes for me I sometimes get sick. Or I get cold like symptoms. Not really sure why though!

Wyllenn~Congrats on the NSVs!

PPP~Congrats on your loss!

Well I for sure am feeling a little bit better. I really am not sure why but I had just been feeling down for the last couple of days. Sometimes the weight really brings me down. I feel so strange sort of. Part of it is I hate how much I let myself/body get out of control. I try not to dwell on it. But its just hard some days. I am sure all of you have been there. But on a much more positive note...I got my 30 minutes of walking in. And I feel so good! I feel like I accomplished something and I seem to forget working out makes me feel better! It was funny at first because I was really feeling tired and not feeling so good. But then I walked those 30 minutes and I feel totally different. I really hope to change my attitude towards working out. Its not so much the weight loss its just that my body actually feels so much better! Ok I am rambling on now! lol

Hope you all have a good night!

Michelle
Old 09-06-2006, 08:31 PM   #30  
aka Valerie

MICHELLE - BRAVO on the walking. Good for you!! I know it's a challenge. I just saw the pics you posted of your home - Breathtaking! Just outa curiosity, what month was the one with the snow taken in?
Closed Thread