Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 05:12 AM   #1  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Default 300+ And Ready to Try Again #997

WELCOME TO THREAD # 997

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!

Last edited by NoLifeWithoutHorses; 09-05-2006 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Forgot to put the thread #997 in! Oh No!!
Old 09-05-2006, 05:24 AM   #2  
Trying again

S/C/G: 368/see ticker/218

Height: 5'9.5"

Just wanted to ask everyone to have a look at my Santa thread ....

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...35#post1395135

Huggies all!
Old 09-05-2006, 05:34 AM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Just a quickie as I'm getting ready for work...although I was glad to have an extra day off for the holiday, I will be happy to go back to work today and return to my regular schedule--it really helps me with planning my food and water for the day

So many great recipes! I don't tend to follow actual recipes very often (since I'm both lazy and EXTREMELY picky ), so some of my favorites to cook ahead of time (and freeze, if needed) have sort of come about by accident. First, any type of stir fry is a pretty good idea (and despite the name, I don't ever actually "fry" anything in oil). Also, in the crock pot, I like to throw together canned (rinsed) black beans, chicken broth (mine is no-sodium organic), salsa (I'm a wimp, so I use mild), fat-free cream cheese, frozen corn, frozen chopped onion, and sometimes cabbage (in the form of pre-shredded coleslaw mix...told ya I'm lazy ). I cook that until everything is nice and hot and blended (the cream cheese will melt and mix into everything else after a while), and voila! Oh, and I also add some chili powder and Mrs. Dash and stuff. When I eat it, I sometimes sprinkle some reduced-fat cheddar cheese on top, too. YUM!

I also love a potato chowder-type stuff. I just cook (in the microwave) some potatoes, cut up into bite-size pices, toss in the crock pot with some chicken broth, fat-free half and half, cooked turkey sausage, and whetever veggies I have that seem fit (corn, frozen chopped broccoli, frozen chopped spinach, peppers if I happen to have any, etc.) and some spices (esp. crushed red pepper if I'm in the mood for a little bite).

While I can't tell you how many calories are in each serving, I can tell you it's all good ingredients! Also, you can always figure out calories by adding up the calories in everything you put into the pot, then dividing by however many servings you get out of it.

Alright, so much for a quickie...now I've got to go make breakfast and get ready to zoom out of here! Have a great day, everyone!!
Old 09-05-2006, 06:31 AM   #4  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Sorry everybody about my failure to number the thread snaffu. I woke up at 2 am and after 2+ hours staring at the wall I figured I'd get up and make myself useful. At least I cleaned the kitchen.

Yeah, WTG on knocking those pounds right back down SHARON! Thanks for your support! I know what you mean by "it lost it's appeal." On the flip side, there's a lot of appeal to all the things we'll be able to do with the weight off, like riding, and playing with little ones, and being there to see them married and have little ones of their own. Not much appeal to looking at myself in a mirror ( and don't even SAY naked) or carrying this wt around any longer, or dying young.

MISTI, Thanks for all those recipes. I wanna try the chicken/sour cream/salsa one, especially. I made a pot of chili last night, but after the rest of the household hit it, there was only one bowl left. I guess if I want "leftovers" I better start over.

ANGIE, Sounds like you're doing Great! Go, girl, go!!!

HEATHER, I understand TOTALLY about the bread basket deal - an important aspect of control. As for not having junk in the house, I don't have much choice. I don't buy it, my girlfriend/housemate does, which means I have to learn to deal with it. I've taken to putting the breads in a cupboard, because I just can't keep walking past or sitting next to them, at least until I get that garbage out of my blood stream, which will take a good 2 weeks. She's constantly baking junk for this party or that meeting, and I've told her not to bring any leftovers home, but she still does sometimes. Yesterday after she baked & left the house, I pitched the can of leftover frosting into her bedroom - it was too seductive sitting on the kitchen counter. (Don't worry, I journaled my crime. ) She liked my perfectly OP chili, but wanted to put it on NOODLES! (I think she's TRYING to kill me.)

Anyway, this isn't a temporary battle - a 'diet.' Like we've said over and over, it's a lifestyle change. But I thought I'd made that change a year ago, and somehow I changed back, hence the fear. From October through January I had no fear. I felt SO solid in the changes I'd made. I was craving the exercise I'd begun, and even my 'cheats' thru the holidays were choices, not chaotic face stuffing, and I still lost 1.5 that month. Since then I've had days where I feel TOTALLY on track and in control, followed by days of despair. I want that to be over!!

I must have changed something long term though, because even through all that I haven't gained it back. I CAN do it. Isn't it weird to feel both the invincable confidence of success AND the griping fear of failure at the same time??
Thanks to everyone for holding me up through the past months, and for pushing me forward... and downward, now.

Thanks NIGHTKATT - You've obviously gotten it together since you left the shop down 20 pounds and ready to break a "00"! Keep it up!!!

Well, given my lack of sleep last night, I should sleep like a rock tonight. It's 6 am and I'm already thinking "NAP!" But it's off to work out instead, then job hunting really gets under way.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Isn't it weird to feel both the invincable confidence of success AND the griping fear of failure at the same time??
oh my, yes! you nailed it!

I think you're onto something with the whole "i lost the edge but didn't gain all the weight" idea. I get the feeling that most people end up going through something like that.

I keep getting scared about the long term nature of this journey. I'm not too worried about the end of this year, or next... but what about 5 years from now? Or 10? I bet at some point in the next decade, something will happen that throws me off-kilter and send me off plan and/or away from exercise.... an illness or crazy life stress... And then, I will have to rely on my knowledge of what to do AND that I CAN do it to get back on track. It's like the yin and yang of weight loss/maintanence... the fear and the knowledge...

Okay, that probably makes no sense, but I haven't had my coffee yet and am a bit fuzzy!!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 08:15 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8.5"

Good morning everyone! It's back to work. Oh well.

Forgot to share an NSV I had yesterday. At church a woman I had not seen for several months came up and was amazed at how much I have slimmed down. It's still hard for me to see myself as not so fat so it was nice to have it confirmed.

Hope you all have a great day. Stay OP!!!

And yes, Heather... that makes sense. Bet most or all of us have those fears.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:42 AM   #7  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Just another quick post. I have a very hectic week this week, except this afternoon. I thought I would have AGES to catch up on posts and actually write some individual replies, but people have been VERY busy and I have only just finished reading all the posts and it is now time for bed.

I am finding that I am tired again lately and I am worried that it is low B12 levels again, which means that the shots didn't last as long as they should have I don't think. I go for the colonoscopy/gastroscopy in a few weeks, so that could shed some light on things. I could also just be tired due to the hectic times we have at school lately. I may have to relax a little with exercise when work gets so busy. My body may not like me working out so much at these times. I'll have to think about that one. I kinda panic if I have too much of a 'rest' from exercise, but it is something I have to do now and then. Mind you, lately my 'rest' days (one day a week) have only been rests from formal exercise at home. I still walk to/from work and sometimes do daily fitness with the kids. I have to get a grip on my fanaticism (sp?) with exercise. AAAAHHHH!!!!! Well... that may not have been a solution, but it sure helped.

Anyway... off to bed with me. I'll write more soon. Maybe I'll just have to set the kids off with some quiet work and post something then. Yeah right... they may be gorgeous kids, and I could easily get them to work independently, but I'm not sure that would be entirely professional. I have student teachers in the room Wednesdays and Thursdays, so I can't even post during recess and lunch breaks. Oh well, I'm sure I'll cope. I just have to 'suck it in' and live with it.

I seem to be rambling. I may be more tired than I originally thought.

Night all... or good morning... wherever you are.

Take care,

Zelma
Old 09-05-2006, 08:50 AM   #8  

Hey everyone~ Wow this thread really moves! Not much to report here. I am really having a hard time making myself work out! Its frustrating because one minute I feel pumped and ready to do it. And then I just don't. I know I have to just make myself get up and work out. I think its more a mind thing than a physical thing. Also I have not lost a pound this past week. BUT I really see changes in my stomach shape. So that is nice. I have yet to get a tape measure. I will as soon as we go to the store again. I bet my measurements have changed even though the scale hasn't.

Well I hope you all are doing good! Have a good day!

Michelle
Old 09-05-2006, 09:15 AM   #9  
Again, shall we?

S/C/G: 400/376/180

Height: 5'10"

Good morning ladies! I'm behind (have to leave for work in about 10 minutes..AHH), but had to do a drop in. Not much to say on my end except that I'm hoping for a good day- so far on track.

Ammi- you went on vacation and still you are down 3 pounds!!! Give yourself a pat on the back- that's how you know you've made a lifestyle change, not a "diet"

Sharon- Yeah!! just 1 more to go and you're 100% on track! It was probably mainly water weight anyway!!!

Valerie- boy do I understand what you mean about confidence and fear. This time around I feel like I've really got my head on and I'm so determined. But at the same time, I can't help but think what if this doesn't work either? I can't focus on it, as it makes me numb. I just focus on my ticker that is moving slowly but surely. Even a ticker that stays put is good enough, as long as it doesn't go up!!

Misit- what a great compliment!! I can't wait to get where you are and get real true satisfaction from all my work- NSVs everday!! You go girl!!

Xena- Oh hun, sorry to hear you aren't feeling great! Make sure to take care of yourself, and if that means missing a little excercise, than miss it. I know you don't want to lose the habits you've gained- but excercise when you need rest won't do your body any good. Take care!

Michelle- I know how you feel about being pumped to work out and then losing it. I've gone through that too- even yesterday, I just wasn't in the mood- but I made myself- and afterwords I was so excited about how well I'd done and how good I felt. Go for it- you'll be proud of yourself, and that will make you feel so great, it'll be worth the push it took! Oh- and definetly get a tape measure- you want something to fall back on when the scale won't budge!

Chaio everyone- gotta go (2 minutes left!) Have a great day!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:19 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechell81 View Post
Hey everyone~ Wow this thread really moves! Not much to report here. I am really having a hard time making myself work out! Its frustrating because one minute I feel pumped and ready to do it. And then I just don't. I know I have to just make myself get up and work out. I think its more a mind thing than a physical thing. Also I have not lost a pound this past week. BUT I really see changes in my stomach shape. So that is nice. I have yet to get a tape measure. I will as soon as we go to the store again. I bet my measurements have changed even though the scale hasn't.
Michelle -- If it helps, I often feel the same way. All pumped up and nowhere to go. For me, this is where having the minutes goal really helps. "You won't get those minutes done if you just sit here!"

Also, don't forget that weight loss takes time. You won't necessarily see any scale changes every week, and I've heard recommendations to take measurements more like once a month. This all happens slower than we would like. It's not a sprint, it's a marathon.

In the meantime, how has your eating been this week? Do you weigh and measure your food to keep track of how much you're eating? If not, you may be eating more than you think you are.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:27 AM   #11  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

Height: 5'6"

Hey guys! Hada great day yesterday. Got all my painting done and even went for a power walk last night. Pretty much stuck OP too even though it was movie night here Had some blueberries, carrots, sliced peppers BEFORE I got into the pretzels that hubby was eating. Only had a couple of handfuls and had lots of room calorie-wise so I think I did OK. I was down another lb this am so I know I didn't do any damage.

Today we get to put the porch/hallway back in order. Right now everything is in the kitchen. Its not rainnig so thats a bonus. I'll be able to get a walk in today too. Think we will BBQ and have corn on the cob tonight for supper. YUM! Better get at it! I"ll stop in later for some personals Its already 10:30 here and I have done nothing but catch up on here *L* I love lazy days off

Brenda
Old 09-05-2006, 09:53 AM   #12  

Kim~I will for sure get the measuring tape. I really can see a difference in my shape just not the scale. Which I happy with either result! lol

Wyllenn~Yeah the minute goals do help. It keeps me focused more than I would be on my own. And I hate how the mental part of the weight loss is getting me. I feel ready and know I need to lose this weight. But I can't figure out why I start to go against the changes. It almost feels like I am sabotaging my own self! Like you and Kim said I just have got to just get up and do it! As far as my eating I have been eating between 2000 and 2500 calories. I had a day or two where I messed up. But I think what is getting me the most is I am not working out like I should be. Thanks for pointing out the calories though...I may be getting more than I think. I just need to start writing down what I eat!

Have a great day!

Michelle
Old 09-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #13  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

It was a rather bad weekend for me. I got sucked into a game (Neverwinter Nights), and well, I let myself get so caught up with playing that I made some bad decisions. For one, I didn’t exercise for several days, and two, I kept playing and only stopped to eat when I was SUPER hungry and ended up making a few bad choices. I think the best thing to do right now is just move on. However once again I realize that I need to find a way to either play in moderation or I will have to not play at all. Gaming is where my addictive side really comes out. Even right now I feel exhausted from the experience (like a junkie come down off a high) and yet part of me wants to go right back to it. It is tough! Thank goodness the workweek started again. I need my routine back!

I hope other people had better weekends.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:01 AM   #14  

nancy i know the feeling those addictive games lol. i wa so busy playing mine i forgot yo eat breakfast lol!
Old 09-05-2006, 11:05 AM   #15  

i've had a pretty bad dieting week, oh well, back to it today, i'll see how much damage i did tomorrow.

on the bright side exercise this weekend was good, we went hiking and did a mountain bike trail.

kate
Closed Thread