Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 09:19 AM   #1  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default 300+ And Ready to Try Again #995

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
Old 09-04-2006, 09:31 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Man, I blinked and a whole thread flew by!

Well, I am officially done with my second cycle of my plan. I am up a bit from my 3 days off over the weekend, but I'm sure it will go quickly as I get back to drinking my water--I bet I didn't even drink 1 liter total all weekend, let alone 2 liters per day!--so now I'm sipping on a 24oz bottle of water to get me started. Even though today is a holiday here in the U.S. (so no work for me--woohoo!), I'm going to jump right back on plan and get going with my third cycle. I'm hoping to get completely out of the 280s and safely into the 270s during this cycle (now that I am 100% out of the 290s!). I was at 287.5 this morning, but much of that should go away quickly since I was only 283 on Friday morning. Water, water, water!!

I'm going to try to (dare I say it, wyllen?) start adding in some exercise this cycle. After 4 perfectly on-plan weeks, I feel I've got me feet planted firmly in my food plan, so now it's time to add something new. Today, Jeff and I are going to a park to feed the ducks. Of course, this requires walking from the parking lot to the lake (maybe 1/3 mile), then walking on the path through the woods around the lake to get to where the ducks are, and then walking back out to the car afterwards. It's a great way to not really feel like I'm exercising since our real mission is just to find the ducks I'll also pack us a picnic lunch (just sandwiches and sodas--no heavy pasta salads or anything like that) to eat in the woods. Should be a great time!

Oh, but back to the exercise--I'm going to shoot for 4 days a week right now. If it's nice out, I can go for a walk around my block (I'll have to wear my pedometer to see about how far that is). If the weather isn't cooperating, I have a stability ball that came with a workout DVD I've never even watched, so I'll give that a try. Nothing too strenuous or exerting--I'll start off slow. Anything is better than nothing, right?
Old 09-04-2006, 09:40 AM   #3  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

Height: 5'6"

Good for you Jill!!!

Brenda
Old 09-04-2006, 09:50 AM   #4  

thanks brenda.. rats i was looking forward to seeing the new competion oh well ... since i never saw season one i will watch it anyways
Old 09-04-2006, 10:41 AM   #5  

Hi Ladies - I can't weigh myself here probably so...I hope to have good news when I get home..I will just wait a bit and do a 2 week weigh-in. Glad to report I've been 100% OP since I got here!!! I've been under my calories everyday, and getting in walking, too! Well, don't get used to my sporadic posts ladies, I will be back in action next week, lol. Congrats to all the 'losers' and to those who need it!!
Stay OP chickies!!

Melissa
Old 09-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8.5"

Good morning, everybody!

Way to go, Jill... keep up the good work!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspuffypants View Post
Misti - Congrats on your 60 lbs!!! in 6 months!! you are a total inspiration. im starting where you did. what is your secret? what plan did you do? any tips?
Wow we really DID start off at about the same place, huh? Well I am here to testify that it CAN be done so go for it! As for my plan... it's pretty simple really. I do NOT write down any of what I eat or count calories, although I AM aware of them and pretty much know what I am eating. My doctor advised me not to go below 1800 calories and to stick around there and 2000 and I would lose weight just as quickly as if I went on a low calorie diet as that would crank down my metabolism. I told her at my last exam recently that she is RIGHT as it is working.

I try to eat a lot of natural foods... my basic rule is "If God made it, eat it... if mankind messed around with it be cautious." That's not 100% -- there are a few processed foods I eat but not many. I will dump a can of basil/oregano tomatoes over my fresh veggies before I bake them, etc.

Note I am NOT criticizing others who eat differently -- just sharing my own plan But I completely avoid frozen meals and highly processed foods and fast foods. I eat VERY well though so I have no desire usually to go back to junk (not to say there is never a temptation but they are managable). I eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies... LOL in fact I used to prefer my veggies cooked but I hate to cook so have learned to like them raw.

I will cook big crockpots full of stuff on weekends and put it into individual portions in the freezer so there is always something good to eat. Just pop one out for dinner with some veggies, etc. Or baked chicken. At work I always have a bag of fresh veggies and some fruit. And every morning I nuke a fresh lemon and put the juice and pulp in 32 oz of very warm water. I chug the first half as quickly as I can and get the second half down over the next half hour or so. Then refill the bottle several times during the day and drink that too.

I absolutely NEVER "blow it" or give myself food rewards. I do NOT eat junk and that's it. In six months the only exception I have made was on the cruise and they gave me a small but absolutely incredible birthday cake so I ate it. But I would add too that I made a decision to do it rather than just giving in wildly to temptation. (I also walked/jogged a total of 78 miles per my pedometer on that cruise so figured I could have the birthday cake... and lost 2 pounds on the cruise LOL). In that one instance I was willing to pay the price for eating the cake... but that's it.

As for exercise... I walk on my breaks and lunch hour. I had to start out kind of small, as I had to lean on all the trees and light poles an sit on all the rocks LOL. Now I zoom right past them and tap them as "victory poles" etc. Sometimes I walk up the hills backward... whew talk about using different muscles! I also found a walking buddy at work who goes with me part of the time when her schedule allows it. But neat to have a 3D friend there I can share with.

I also have done tons of water aerobics... usually 3 or 4 times a week for 60-90 minutes. So far only shallow water as our pool is only 4 feet deep. But it is outdoor so my friend from work and I checked into a nearby community pool and are going to take a water aerobics class on Saturday mornings, and I will probably go one time during the week. I am going to take deep water as it is harder and I need to advance to that.

I am also going to start hitting the fitness center in our apt complex since I can't do the water stuff as often... and maybe drag out my old bike some. Oh and I use Danskin workout balls which are wonderful and I can lie in bed and watch TV and toss them around, etc. And I have an exercise bike I dragged upstairs out of our dumpster area and use that sometimes... it is out on my deck so I sit out there and read. It is kind of old and beat up but works... so I don't worry too much about it getting the weather.

One thing which REALLY helped me... when I first started someone posted the slogan "If you love the results, learn to love the process." So I have worked hard to enjoy the process. That doesn't mean I always WANT to go exercise, ha! NOT. But when I DO I often remind myself that I am DOING it and I am getting the rewards. Oh and I don't write down my food intake but I DO keep track of my exercise and also set goals on the thread here and try to make them!

I recommend making yourself small goals... example I have 10 pound mini goals and at every 10 pounds I "redecorate" my ticker. Also sometimes I set rewards for myself although lately I have not been doing so as much.

I go shopping at the clearance sales and buy clothes that are slightly too small... LOL I also have huge racks of them from yard sales and former clearance sales or stuff I have been given for "someday" and a lot of them I am now wearing and a lot still for "later." They are on the racks in sizes LOL... it is FUN to go into the closet and find a YES! I live in an area where there are hundreds of yard sales and also a Catherine's store where the others send their discount stuff... so a lot of it goes on the "get rid of it" racks and I get it for $4 or $5. Although there is not much in there now I can wear woo hoo as most of it is too big.

Oh and I also make sure I am monitored by my doctor, as she is just fantastic. I have other health issues which she has to monitor anyway although now it is down to annual unless I request otherwise (I have a long term medical condition and also had a thyroid tumor removed a couple years ago.) But I think if you have a doctor you trust, it is good to have her/his input for you individually. In my case it was FUN to hear and see her amazement when I went in a few weeks ago. And to hear her encouragement. But I have an exceptional doctor and she was so excited and encouraging about my progress. If you have someone like that, I recommend you be checked periodically.

Sorry this is so long... LOL don't mean to get carried away. But you CAN do it!! And once those pounds start coming off you will be amazed!

Oh! And I didn't measure when I started and regret it... so DO it! I had lost 25 pounds before I started measuring... but even at that it is thrilling to see how much I have lost in various places!!

Oh and take progress pictures along the way! Before you start and have someone take them every few pounds. I am past due for mine... LOL I live alone so I even take my camera to church once in a while and have a friend sneak away to an empty hallway with me and take my progress pix. I need to have some new ones done!!! It is a HUGE encouragement when you can see side by side your pictures and SEE what you have accomplished. And it is fun to post them here to let others share in your progress and give encouragement.

Oops this is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too long; I got carried away LOL but hope this helps. You GO for it... you CAN do it!! And please keep us posted along the way. I am especially interested in your progress since you are starting just about where I did! I can't WAIT to see your ticker start to move over there and soon you will have a second one getting down to that halfway point just like mine is!! Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help or support!
Old 09-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Jill -- Just want to send ALLLLL the encouragement I can about the exercise. Finding things that don't feel like exercise (or finding ways to make exercise less... tiresome) help. I think you have a great and reasonable way to start. And then, give yourself lots and lots of encouragement when you DO it!!!

luan -- I know you asked Misti your secret, but I thought I would jump in and tell you one of my secrets. Hope that's okay!

I've been wondering recently how the heck it is I lost 100 pounds in just about a year. I think the big answer is: I WAS DEDICATED TO MY PLAN. I STUCK TO MY PLAN.

Mind you, I think I have a sensible plan. I calorie count and try to eat a lot of healthy food. I don’t starve myself. In fact, I still usually eat around 1800 calories per day -- if I want to keep losing weight, I will probably have to drop it a little more. And I exercise… more than I ever wanted to.

If my figures in nutridiary are right I had a calorie deficit every single day from last August until June. Mind you, some days it was barely a deficit, AND having that calorie deficit was easier when I was heavier -- you can eat more calories when you weigh more to maintain a weight. Now I have to exercise more to get a calorie deficit of 500 calories/day.

In that first year, I DID allow myself treats, but the focus was on weight loss. I was very careful about it and I wrote down everything I ate. I said “no” most of the time to foods that were high calorie, and usually planned when I would eat those foods. I avoided a number of social events where lots of food I love was present. I tried to go to restaurants where I knew I could get healthy choices. I basically tried not to put a lot of temptation in my path and usually kept in control over my choices. If I did go somewhere where I would eat more one day, I would make sure that the rest of the week was pretty clean.

I have noticed that since July, I have been less motivated to maintain this kind of focus. I was getting sick and tired of writing everything down. At first I fought against it. I had wanted to make it out of obesity before I eased up a little. But after a few weeks, I decided for my sanity to let things go a little. I need to find a better balance. I need to have more social events and sometimes say that eating dessert more than once a week is okay, sometimes.

I guess one way to think of it is that now that I have lost so much weight, I think I am ready to move to a second phase. If phase one was CONTROL, maybe phase two is BALANCE. Balance between eating healthy and enjoying more of life’s pleasures. I am allowing myself to eat more some of the time, to NOT have a deficit every day, and to trust that this will not send me spiraling out of control. That I can go back on plan the next day. I think most days will be the same old same old, but I think I’m ready to ease up a little. I know that I won’t lose weight as quickly, but that’s okay for now.

All of this has kind of evolved organically. I never set out to lose 100 pounds in a year, but I think I realized early on that having control was really important to me, so I did it. Now I am feeling a different kind of pull, and I have to listen to myself. The last thing I want to do is force something on myself that I’m not wanting. So, I’m not trying to say that everyone should do what I did – far from it. It’s just what happened.

Sorry to ramble on so long, but I hadn’t realized a lot of this until I wrote it down!
Old 09-04-2006, 10:49 AM   #8  

Yay Melissa! That 100% OP looks very nice here! Keep it up!!!
Old 09-04-2006, 10:53 AM   #9  

Misti and I posted at the same time! And we both said a LOT!
Old 09-04-2006, 10:55 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn View Post
I've been wondering recently how the heck it is I lost 100 pounds in just about a year. I think the big answer is: I WAS DEDICATED TO MY PLAN. I STUCK TO MY PLAN.
LOL well you set me off again but I would say EXACTLY!! I made a decision and I DID it.

Your message is excellent! One way we are different is that I have learned to be very content without the desserts and stuff so I don't even crave them any more so don't eat them. You chose to incorporate them into your lifestyle. This is such a good point that we are all individual and different things might work for us. Also you wrote down what you ate and that would drive me up a wall so I didn't do it. But I never avoided social events either... I just go and eat what is on my plan or don't eat at all.

BUT you are RIGHT... it wasn't necessarily that my plan is "better" than that of others... but that we SET one and STUCK to it! We need something we can live with... it is great that you set yours one way and then adapted it. I still may do that later on down the road; who knows? But I can LIVE with this and even enjoy it.

Also... you are a lot farther along than I am. So I might change my plan later too; will see how it goes.

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 09-04-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #11  

LOL and we just did it again Wyllen!
Old 09-04-2006, 11:38 AM   #12  
Again, shall we?

S/C/G: 400/376/180

Height: 5'10"

Good morning ladies! Misti & wyllen- you are both so inspiring! Although my plan doesn't match either of yours I feel like for the first time, after the 100s of times of tried, I really have that addittue you both talked about- like this is not negotiable, this is what I'm going to stick to. And hearing stories like your's make's me that much more determined to keep that mind set. In fact, it's rainy outside, and the gym isn't offering classes today because of the holdiay, so I was having a really hard time motivating myself to excercise, but reading your stories reminded me that I have committed myself to at least 30 minutes Monday (holiday or not), Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday. I'm thinking I will do one of my at home DVDs-thanks!!

Yesterday was pretty good, although I did have one small mishap- I went to put a banana in the freezer (I like to freeze bananas enough to slice up and put in my nutrisystem vanilla yogurt- it's kind of like a banana split), when I saw my fiance had left a small carton of banana split ice cream. I put my banana in and went back to working at my computer. For some reason I just couldn't forget that ice cream, and I ended up going back for 1 bite. Which, turned into finishing it. It was only 5 bites, but still- what a waste of a perfectly good day!!! I'm getting frustrated at myself because as good as I'm doing 90% of the time, it seems like I'm having too many times where I give in, even if it is just small- I refuse to give up- I'm going to do this, and I'm not going to ever have a day where i saw what the heck eat what you want, but I wish I had more self control...anyway...enough of that...i'm trying to think how I can remove temptation from the house without being unfair to my fiance who is so small he is trying to gain weight!! We have opposing goals-- he finds himself eating my fruits and veggies when he's supposed to be beefing up on one of his protein bars, and look at me hitting his ice cream!! LOL- I guess we should try switching bodies. I'd have no trouble helping him gain, and I don't suppose it would be hard for him to lose!

any suggestions would be helpful...got to run, school work & excercise, and laundry before work tomorrow!

Stay OP!
Old 09-04-2006, 11:38 AM   #13  

I am excited to be joining a 3D weight loss support group at my church. It is First Place... but I don't want their diet or regimen; just the group and support. The leader said that a lot of the people are like me and you can do the program or not. They get together for encouragement and prayer, etc. and to share with one another how we are doing it, our successes and struggles, etc. Can't WAIT!! I have wanted this for so long but most of those groups you HAVE to follow those programs and I won't.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:53 AM   #14  
Because I deserve it!

S/C/G: 315.4/311/165

Height: 5'11"

Ziggy - I am with Misti, if having a DVD at home makes it more convenient to exercise and, therefore, more likely to do it, then I think you made the right choice!

Katt - If you like pumpkin pie, I have a recipe for a crustless pumpkin pie that I got from a WW meeting. It's just about as good as the real thing and very low in points (calories). Plus, pumpkin can be counted as a veggie. I can post the recipe if anyone wants to have it, although I am sure it is posted out here on 3FC somewhere. It's a pretty popular WW recipe. As for my cleaning frenzy, I got alot done but not as much as I wanted. It's just to hard on me at this weight to work like that all day long. So I would set my kitchen timer for 30 minutes and work then take a break. Usually by the end of 30 minutes my back is hurting me and I need to sit down. It is sad to be in such shape at the age of 36. But, I am working on that, right?

time4achange - I think 20 pounds by Thanksgiving is doable. Remember they say a 1-2 pounds a week is a healthy rate at which to lose weight. I've got a goal similar to yours. I want to lose 25 by my birthday which is the day after Thanksgiving. I have 17 more to go by then. Let's both work hard to make our goals, OK?

PPP - Currently my favorite workout DVD are the Walk Away the Pounds DVD's. They are a good workout but don't require too much coordination. It's not that I am not coordinated, but at this weight I have trouble with my knees and it's not good for me to be trying alot of complicated movement until I get some weight off. You can get the DVD's in 1 mile (20 min), 2 mile (30 min) and 3 mile (45 min). Also, I really like my 8 Minute Abs or 8 Minute Arms DVD's. It's easy if you don't want to work out to at least do something that is only 8 minutes long. Plus you can crack up at the 80's outfits the people in the video are wearing.

sharon - I've missed you and was wondering where you were. I am sorry you are not feeling well. Take care of yourself and I hope soon you are back to your old self.

Kenya - How are you feeling? I know you previously posted you were feeling a little down. I hope things are getting better for you.

Brenda - Thanks for enlightening us on the AI situation. I never saw the 1st season so I just might have to watch it. Yes, I am a nerd.

Jilly - on keeping with your eating plan for 4 weeks. As for exercise, I think you are absolutely right to start slow. You can do it!

Misti and Heather - Thanks so much for sharing your success-in-the-making stories. It is really good to hear how it's been for you so far and to see you making adjustments as necessary to keep the weightloss going while maintaining your sanity at the same time. I think that is a point that really hits home with me, being such an all or nothing person. I have been in the same position as you, Heather, where I am kind of tired of writing things down or depriving myself of desserts or other treats everyone else is partaking in. In those instances what I have done is just thrown the towel in altogether and given up rather than doing what you did and taking it a little bit easier on myself to keep my sanity. Thanks again to both of you. Your stories have helped me alot.

As for me, I made it successfully through day 2 of my committment to journal all my food for 12 weeks. (82 to go ). Today is my day to go clothes shopping. Not looking forward to it but I am just telling myself next time I go shopping I will weigh less and it will be a better experience for me. I plan to bring a couple of snacks along with me in my purse for emergencies. If I let myself get too hungry I am just setting myself up for a binge.

Changing the subject, I read online this morning that Steve Irwin, The Crocodile Hunter, was killed by a stingray. That is so shocking and so sad. I feel bad for his wife and kids.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
Your message is excellent! One way we are different is that I have learned to be very content without the desserts and stuff so I don't even crave them any more so don't eat them. You chose to incorporate them into your lifestyle. This is such a good point that we are all individual and different things might work for us. Also you wrote down what you ate and that would drive me up a wall so I didn't do it. But I never avoided social events either... I just go and eat what is on my plan or don't eat at all.

BUT you are RIGHT... it wasn't necessarily that my plan is "better" than that of others... but that we SET one and STUCK to it! We need something we can live with... it is great that you set yours one way and then adapted it. I still may do that later on down the road; who knows? But I can LIVE with this and even enjoy it.
I thought your post was excellent too!

But the two together -- yes, it really does show that the plan per se may be less important than that it is a plan the person can STICK with. The biggest point of agreement is the STUCKEDNESS (okay, not a word). What we STUCK to, less important.

Another similarlity is that we also both don't starve ourselves and focus on healthy foods AND exercise!

As for adaptation... I kind of figured that with maintenance might come a bit of a relaxing, but my body started rebelling much sooner. It's been nice to allow myself a few treats this summer and still show myself I can stay "on plan" whatever that means. So, when I was on Cape Cod, I DID have fried clams and clam chowder. BUt I split the clams with mom and it was a cup of chowder... and I only went once! Big changes from before.

Kim, good for you for sticking to the exercise. I might not like doing it, but I love that I've kept up with my commitment -- and I really think it helps this whole process!
Closed Thread