Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 11:39 AM   #1  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Default Old Hens - 40+ and Ready to Lose!!! #73

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:02 PM   #2  
Vortex

Morning, all.

An extraneous thought: The "Old Hens" thread started since I've been away, so maybe you've already discussed this. Anybody here a folk music fan? I keep thinking of the song "Cluck Old Hen" when I look at this list. "Once I had a heart, like a little hen..."

I did a good thing this morning--went grocery shopping just for today's food. Since I live alone and one of my problems is that I don't plan meals, even just buying two frozen meals--yes, frozen meals--and an apple and some carrot and celery sticks is more planning than I normally do. I know exactly what I'm going to eat today, how many calories, etc. Also picked up some club soda and some plastic forks, so I have everything I need to eat here in the office. (One bad habit I have is that I get working, work too long without eating, then I'm really hungry and end up going out to eat.)

Thanks to all for the welcomes and reminders not to go away again. I do tend to get "too caught up in life" and yet I'm worried that I'm shortening my life by not devoting myself to improving my health. So I've got to make it a priority. I've also got someone new in my life... not a bf exactly, though perhaps that's in the future... but he's a very supportive friend and healthy-living guy with a healthy attitude. Not that anyone can do these things for you, but I just find when I spend time with him that I eat healthier and get more exercise... and I don't mind one bit! So that's a nice plus.

When I put it all together, I feel like I've got a window of opportunity here to do some habit-changing. I'm also planning to get myself into therapy. No childhood traumas for me, either, but all the more reason to try to figure out why I've had self-destructive behaviors going on most of my life.

2cute--Sorry to hear about your sister. Hope things go as well as possible.

Thin--Hope your mother's surgery goes well. Sitting in hospital waiting rooms ain't no fun, but sounds like you've got things to do?

Valerie--I think you need to treat yourself to an iPod.

Charlotte--Sounds like you too are dealing with health problems for family members. Hope the news you get is encouraging.

Barb--Those anniversaries sure are hard. I'm glad at least the memories of last year this time sound like they were happy ones. My father died doing one of his favorite things--golfing. I still get blue on the anniversary of his death but I always smile when I think that he was enjoying those last hours of his life.

Lilion--Thanks for sharing your story. Though I have had some medical issues that complicated my weight gain, mostly I've been inert. It's heartening to see that you've been able to turn that around. "Vortex" was a nickname a loved one had for me. We were joking, a group of us, that we should all adopt superhero-type names. He suggested "Vortex" for me because, he said, "you draw everything toward you." No one else in the group took it seriously, but over a couple of years he wrote me many, many letters addressed "Dear Vortex" and signed "Snake" (lol). He's gone and I don't get those letters any more, so I guess this is a way to remember him. Whew! Long story.

Have a great day, all!
Old 06-29-2006, 03:00 PM   #3  
MTM

Thumbs up

Good afternoon biddies!!

Nothing but good news!! I am so relieved! I can't imagine how relieved those two are. He is in stage 2 Hodgkins. No organs are involved, and his blood marrow is fine. Isn't that great???? He'll have 4 to 6 chemo treatments starting July 12, spaced two weeks apart. After the first two, he'll have another CAT scan to see what's going on. After the chemo, he will have 6 to 7 weeks of radiation treatments to shrink the mass (I guess it's a pretty good size), and that, hopefully, will be it. He'll of course have frequent check ups, I'm sure.

I want to thank each and every one of you for all your thoughts, prayers, and hugs. I know that they carried me through this along with my family. I am truly humbled by you all.

So, now, I've got big time work to do! My sister is coming in tonight instead of tomorrow, so I have to get my rear in gear!! Oh--and on my kitchen table there sits--are you ready?--49 dozen cookies! (And a box of lemon pizzelles!!) Talk about tempting...I've had a couple, but I'm pretty proud of myself. My dear gf brought over 13 dozen cut out hearts all frosted in pink and white last night! And we've also got dozens at my dd's apt. and at my ddil's that we've made!!! And, his parents bought some and people he works with are baking too! I will definitely take pictures of all these cookies and post them.

I probably won't be able to post now til Sunday, but I definitely sneak in and read to keep my head on straight. Again, thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Charlotte
Old 06-29-2006, 03:26 PM   #4  

Smile

Oh wow Charlotte, that is such good news! I am so happy for your DD and the whole family of course. Prayer is a wonderful thing, it can work miracles. When my oldest daughter had a bleed on the brain I asked for and recieved so many prayers for her and today she is doing fine. I do believe in the power of prayer. I am always willing to add someone that is in need to my prayer list. Not meaning to offend anyone with my beliefs here.

Vortex, What a cute nickname. I remember you as Angela aka Alice, Good to see you back posting with us.

BarbPa, How is that baby boy doing? Growing fast and furious huh? We have a ten month old grand, and boy is she a live wire, never still a moment. She is still holding on to walk, but any day now she will venture off on her own. I told her Mama to be prepared. Batten down the hatches, cause that kid will be into everything. She is already doing that just crawling.

I don't know who all posted since I did last, so I won't be doing replies to everyone, but To everyone.

I should just keep quiet about it, but my scale finally dropped into the 2s I am afraid to breath deep, afraid it will go right back over the 3. The sad thing is how many times I have been here and let that happen all over again. GRRRR! Not this time!

Lilion, I just went back and read the previous thread. Your story reminds me of myself in some places. The just loving to eat part anyway. When Dr. Phil was saying something is eating you, I just thought no, I just love food. LOL! Sorry about the zucchini, The plants are dying due to our drought.

Everybody have a good evening, Ruth

Last edited by Iwillbe; 06-29-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:58 PM   #5  
Vortex

Well my great plan of grocery shopping for the day would have been greater if I hadn't tried a new and DISGUSTING meal for dinner. Oh well, live and learn. Plus I only ate half of it, so I can treat myself to a sugar-free soy mocha at the coffee shop... AFTER I get my exercise.

Charlotte--Great news for your family. And good job with those cookies!

Ruth--CONGRATS! Good work! I think you did the right thing telling us. That should give you motivation to stay strictly OP... but of course a couple pounds of water can make any of us float back up temporarily, so don't beat yourself up if that happens.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:57 PM   #6  
BELIEVE!

Hi Chicks!
Thank you for all the warm welcomes back! It's good to be home again!

Sleep Apnea --- I have been sleeping horribly for the past year or more. DH, my brother and best friend finally talked me into doing a sleep study. Sure enough I have a severe case of apnea. Does anyone else??? I just got my machine yesterday and I know it will take some getting used to the mask, but last night was horrible. I felt like I couldn't exhale and I kept waking up and panicing and taking the mask off. Around 2am I gave up and turned the machine off. I am not sure if it's the air bothering me or the feeling of being trapped with the headgear holding the mask on. I am not going to give up. I have to sleep better and feel better. If anyone has any experience with this will you let me know if you have any suggestions to help me adjust to this new thing? Here or PM - whatever you are comfortable with. I need to sleep....and DH is looking forward to a good night's sleep as well.

Thin - DH, C and I will be heading to Columbus, OH. His family and our friends are about 30 miles north of the city but we are opting to stay in the city where there are nicer hotels and more to do. As of now we have some free time during the day on Mon, Tues & Wed. How far is Detroit? I'd love to see you, I'm just not sure how we would juggle the van and stuff.

Thanks for asking about our little guy....Carlton...he is WONDERFUL! He is 11 months, crawling like crazy and starting to walk a little holding onto furniture. I think he is saying mama and dada....or at least he seems to be getting it. I am back at work fulltime. I hate leaving him during the day, but we found a daycare that we like and he is thriving there. He doesn't have seperation anxiety and seems to enjoy himself. Speaking of the little fella he is in need of a change into his jammies and a bedtime bottle......I will try to come back later or tomorrow with more replies, chat and pictures.

For now...sweet dreams my friends!!!
Old 06-29-2006, 08:16 PM   #7  

Hi all,

Charlotte - I'm so pleased you have had good news, I hope you and the happy couple have a fab wedding day.

Ruth - I'm with you and Lilion, no childhood trauma for me either, just a love of all the wrong foods. BIG congratulations on getting into the 2's , how many times did you get on and off the scale to check? I usually do at least 3 or 4 weighs if I can't believe it the first time

Vortex - isn't it a pain when you get organised and know what you're going to be eating and then don't enjoy it - it always makes me feel really cheated.

NOW THEN LADIES...............I have a very important question to ask all of you....................................has ANYONE seen my willpower?????????????????????????
I can remember having it not that long ago but just cannot find it now
Be honest with me - while I was on holiday did Valerie pick Lilion up in the truck, drive to the airport, fly to the UK, disguse themselves in Lilion's medievel costumes then come here and pinch it??????????
Anyone got any ideas how to get it back? Would a reward help? Answers on a postcard please......
Old 06-29-2006, 08:21 PM   #8  

Hi Barb, you posted the same time as me. Can't wait to see the pics of your baby. 11 months is a lovely age, bet he's into everything is he?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:46 PM   #9  
BELIEVE!

Here he is! These were taken about 2 weeks ago. It was his first time in his little pool. He loves the water!

Here he is right after bathtime. Daddy decided to go with the spiked hair. It usually sticks up on its own but he had some help in this one.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

I thought I better jump in here with replies before I get behind!

BarbPa - Love the pics. Carlton is adorable. Thanks for sharing! I believe 2Cute uses the machine. My mom just got diagnosed with it and got her machine today. My youngest brother has one too. Must be very common.

Charlotte - That is fantastic news for you DD and SIL. Even though he has a lot to face in July, they can have their honeymoon and truly celebrate and have fun. That is a lot of cookies. That is enough for an army. And this is just for people to snack on at the reception?? Holy smokes.

Lilion - Thanks for sharing that great post about your weight journey. I saw myself in a lot of it. We may need to tattoo your promises on your forehead. Especially about getting caught up at work. And the IM!

Karen - I've been thinking about your question and I've really been wondering how, if, I've made permanent changes. I started out gaining weight due to being lonely (lived in the country, I was the youngest, mom worked and therefore alone alot) and for escape (mom and dad did not have a good marriage). And I ate for loneliness and consolation into my early adult years. However, at some point, that loneliness and terrible self-esteem went away. But I still ate. I love the taste of food. I love the sensation of food. My mind says, if its so good, then must eat more. I think that is still there lurking around. I have gotten a grip on that and do work on being satisfied with small amounts. And I am amazed at how quickly I can fall back on stress eating. Its a dumb, bad habit now. I am also the queen of self-sabotage. It is almost like I dare myself to lose. I can be doing great, progress showing on the scale, then I start sneaking in dumb food choices - just daring the scale to keep going down. What a complete idiot I am! I do think that you have to keep working at the permanent changes and its a long journey to getting rid of the old behaviors. Sometimes the reason for the behavior has changed or is gone, but the habit is leftover.

I'm tired and think I'll go fix some fresh peaches for dessert. to everyone! Good night!
Old 06-30-2006, 01:46 AM   #11  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Good evening everyone!

Welcome or welcome back to the new people (at least new to me since i'm fairly new).

Thin...print them out...Ahhh...good idea!

Valerie, your rambles make perfect sense to me! Thanks for the thoughtful answer and good for you!

Lilion, WOW... That may have been a pain in the butt for you and everyone else, but I certainly appreciate it! Caring IS a change! It's one that some may never get. I think one of the reasons that i'm looking for stories about other people's lives right now is that the ONLY thing that I seem to care about is the weight loss/health issue. I have been in a "funk" (not wanting to do anything) for quite a while now and have been hoping that better nutrition will help to ease that. I've also been toying with the idea of being checked for depression. Even my friends are noticing and commenting. Thanks again!

Charlotte, I'm so glad you finally got some good news!

Barb, what a cutie!

Terri, Grrrr....habits? I don't need no stinking habits! I keep hearing that if I change my behavior for 21 days then I've developed a new habit...hmmm...still hasn't worked!

Lesley, would a loaner help?

Have a good night everyone!
Old 06-30-2006, 09:03 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 313/196.4/148

Height: 5/3.5

Good Morning Ladies...

Charlotte....awesome news...best of all to them as they start the rest of their lives together.

Ruth....congratulations....why is it that those milestone weights seem so much more significant than the week to week numbers....but thats a big one and I'm happy for you...

Barb....first, what a cutie he is....love the pics....As for sleep apnea...yes, I have it as well though I was never able to adjust to the CPAP mask...however, I know several folks who took it slowly and now use theirs every night and swear by them. I think for me it was compounded by my pretty strong claustrophobia....I use a strong fan blowing directly on my face at night....it doesn't work nearly as well as CPAP but now I startle awake only 4-5 times a night as opposed to dozens (I also am a bit lighter than I was when diagnosed)...it helps me remain cool (my foolish head perspires any time I am the least bit hot...and that wakes me up as well) plus the noise from the fan drowns out my aweful snoring so my DH can get some sleep. Far less than ideal but better than nothing (also insurance wasn't paying for CPAP which didn't help)....However, I have NO doubt that you will adjust to it and almost everyone does and then swears by the improved sleep.

Lesley...I think your willpower is off on holiday with mine...if you find them please send mine back to this side of the pond for a change.....

I know there were other people I wanted to reply to but suddenly the grandsons are starving again even though I thought they were done with breakfast....Back later

Paula
Old 06-30-2006, 09:17 AM   #13  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Well, it's FRIDAY and it couldn't come any later than it did! What a LONG week...even playing hookey on Wednesday didn't help! Now July 4 is on a Tuesday and so I don't get my 3-day weekend even! Can you tell I'm having a bit of a problem getting off vacation mode???

BarbPA- What a BEAUTIFUL boy! Congratulations! You are a lucky woman! I SO miss my own DS being little like that! My own is well into puberty now at 11 - complete with pimples, body hair and moodiness! AND a little girlfriend named Lilly! Wanna trade?

Ruth: A BIG CARROT FOR THE TERRIFIC TWOS!

Lesley: ME? Steal YOUR willpower? Pulleezzee! If I had even stolen willpower I would not have eaten that 1/2 a can of cashews last night! Yes...DH and I had chocolate/caramel sundaes with cashews. LOTS of cashews! I HATE these cravings for nuts I've been getting lately! I don't know what the heck it is...but I know exactly what I want when I get them and it's nuts - sometimes almonds, sometimes cashews. Last night I gave in in a BIG way!

Charlotte! HOORAY! I'm so glad for your good news! May that wedding be everything your daughter had dreamed of!

Karen: I think it's perfectly normal to fixate on the diet/fitness thing at first. I'm sure I drove all my friends and coworkers crazy about it for the first several months. This to shall pass!

Ruth: Dying Zucchini - right. You probably just didn't water them to get rid of them all! You should have seen the jaws drop at the farmer's market when I was complaining about not being able to grow them! They'd never heard of anyone not being able to grow a zucchini and get it to produce!

Well ladies, another day! I'm SO TIRED! DH and I FINALLY watched the season finale of LOST that we recorded back in MAY! Stayed up too late and then the darn show was so confusing that I may not watch it next year! I can't believe I stayed up past 11 watching that . Today, I will be making more of an effort to get some actual work done. Then this weekend FOR SURE I'll do something about food and the I.M.

Right now, I better do my job.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:27 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Vortex -- I'm not at all familiar with the Gold Coast. In fact, I don't really know Chicago well... I'm in the west suburbs.

I know what you mean about a window to form new habits. I started lifestyle changes last summer when I had a little more time to think. I was afraid I would "blow it" during the school year but managed to keep prioritizing my health and kept losing weight and getting healthy. Now I'm used to the planning that's involved, so it's getting a little easier.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:07 PM   #15  
Vortex

Hi ladies. So yesterday was a partial success. I didn't eat right, but I DID record everything (and according to FitDay, I still ate fewer calories than I burned, but I'm not sure I trust that). I did walk, but not for as long as I planned to. So today will be one more "warm up" day, with the idea that I'm starting for real tomorrow (new month and all).

Wyllen--NP on Chicago dining... if I find any cool HEALTHY places I'll let you know. Hey, you really are close to breaking through the 2s! Very inspirational.

Lilion--What would Yoda say about those cashews???

Karen--If you think you might be depressed, and even more if friends are noticing changes in you that concern them, please do at least get yourself evaluated. Depression's nothing to mess with--believe me, I've messed with it, and the results aren't pretty.

Barb--Thanks so much for those pictures! What a cutie. You said 11 months? He looks older to me. I can't help with info on apnea, but I hope you give the mask a try--getting sleep is soooo important.

Lesley--I'm still working on finding my willpower the first time, so I don't know that I can be a lot of help, but I wonder if you need to do something to remind yourself of what motivated you in the first place. What were you think about when your motivation was highest? And how can you get that thing front and center in your mind again?
Closed Thread