Old 04-12-2006, 08:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Old Hens - 40+ And Ready To Lose - Volume 55

WELCOME !!!!!!

This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:26 AM   #2  

Morning ladies,

I need a day off...bad. I was going to try for Friday but too many others are gone and I have to be there to sign checks. Bummer. Maybe one day next week. I need a change of pace.

Yikes, the morning news has a report on "out of control pythons" in Florida. Those are some mighty big snakes. Sorry for the distraction.

I really don't have much to report. Food was just bad yesterday. I went to dinner at Garrozzo's with the other folks attending the training this week. I'm surprised that I did that but I figured it wouldn't hurt. Way too much food.

Valerie - I think about you each day and wonder how you're doing. Check in when you can.

Barb - Congrats on the loss. You're doing good!

I should get up and get dressed. DH is snoring loudly because he's getting a cold and the dog is sacked out on the floor - makes me want to curl up on the couch and call in sick. Hmmm, wonder what's on the calendar?

Okay ladies, just work hard to make this day an great OP day! to everyone else and sorry for not doing replies to everyone.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:02 AM   #3  
Hang In There

This time change STILL have me confused!!! Overslept again today!!! And I HAVE to get to the health club of I'll g et behind in the Tshirt contest!!! I'll try to check in tonight, but no promises.

THIN: 7:00 (my time) is a littlte early for me. I am planning on going to the 5:30 water class, so I'll just be getting home by 7:00 then there is this thing called supper that I have to attend to, but I'll check in when I can.

BTW are we supposed to be notified when we get a PM? My popup blocker must stop it too. I didn't get you PM about the chat thing until the next morning when I did my daily checkin!!!
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #4  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

I'm here Ruth! I just tend to do more luking than posting these days! April is a busy month for us every year. We have DS's birthday on the 5th, our anniversary on the 8th, an SCA even on the 15th and Easter at some point with the folks. In addition, this month I've got a pampered chef party on the 14th and a wedding shower on the 23rd and thru it all I'm behind on my decisions at work and they are getting really pissy about that, DH is taking two college classes and with the damages we're trying to repair so we can get the new renter into The Trailer From **** I'm just swamped!

Called in sick yesterday. After getting a bit of decent and much needed sleep, DH and I decided to work on The Trailer. The last renter (the WITCH) tore up a lot of the molding around the doors and put a hole in a wall - or her dog did, I should say. In any event, the easiest way to repair it was to just replace the molding and to put paneling under the "chair rail" trim. After 8 hours of working on this, we called DH's friend and he and his SIL came and just about finished it in a few hours. We'll never be guest-stars on This Old House, that's for sure! NOT handymen! But we learned a lesson about using the worlds cheapest materials in order to save a buck...had we used better materials they'd have been easier to work with (the paneling was so thin it kept bubbling) and then we wouldn't be paying someone else to do the work for us! Definately cost us more in the long run!

But, that's nearly done. Now I just have to finish it up, clean the mess made by the repairs, get my typing caught up and get ready for our SCA event this Friday and Saturday, which includes some minor sewing. It's Wednesday today, right? PLENTY of time!

I've been very off plan with all this stuff going on. But, surprisingly. the scale is only at 243 today. I think that might be water and I don't plan on counting it just yet. We'll see. But I probably won't move my tracker regardless. I drank almost NO water the whole last week and haven't worked out once. I even ate buffet mashed potatoes and cream gravy yesterday.

Barbara: I'm thinking it's a little late to be blaming the time change...but something's sure got me messed up too! I'm still going to bed at 11 and playing getting up on time! Or maybe I'm just stressed out! on the loss!

Terri: I highly recommend calling in sick...but only if you get to ACT like you're sick and be lazy. Otherwise it's no fun at all!

Ruth: I'm sorry to hear about your eyesight. That's got to be a bit scary. I thought it was bad that mine's just nearsighted. Granted I'm REALLY nearsighted...my sights about 20/300 without my glasses, but glasses can fix that!

2Cute: Hate to hear about the problems you are having. I wish there was something I could do to help out! I'm definately taking your and Ruth's words to heart and getting back on track...I just can't let myself gain back! Hang in there! We all you! Have a good time with Thin!

Thin: I love your anniversary card exchange! That's just sooo funny! You know, my DH is just the BEST guy...but even he admits he's not the most romantic man in the world! He trys though. When he proposed he did the whole "surprise her with the ring on her birthday" thing...I was totally taken by surprise... I didn't even know that he was thinking about it! But he did it by sneaking up behind me while I was wrist deep in apples for a pie I was making instead of giving it as the gift or just waiting for a more romantic moment. Silly man.

Lesley: Don't be silly! Losing 1/2 lb is LOSING! It totally counts! And good for you for the treat - no reason at all why you can't have something not totally OP at times - so long as you do just what you are doing - going right back on track!

Garnet: Glad you are enjoying quiet and peaceful...now start cooking and quit the eating out! You can get back OP now! I understand the Medicare/Medicaid/SSA frustration! I believe I've mentioned my friends medication dilema. I believe she's still off her meds for both her bipolar and her kidneys and cholesterol and everything. There comes a time when you just stop asking....

Patti: Keep it up lady! Your exercise is so inspiring! What kind of results are you seeing?

Well all, these posts take more time than I have! I'll TRY to make Chat Thursday - but I can't make promises...I may be finishing up The Trailer or sewing or typing decisions or........

Later Ladies!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:16 PM   #5  
Michigan Old-Timer

I'll stick this here again and then maybe a few more times before Thursday night as a reminder.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
CHAT......... How about THURSDAY, let's say 8:00 EST/7:00 CST I wasn't sure what time to pick. If 9:00 EST and 8:00 CST works better for everyone, let's shoot for that. Other suggestions? So far Barb is the only one that has mentioned a different time. Come on, give up your opinions.

Ruth: It's really not so bad when it's just us.
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #6  

Lilion, i am seeing great results! more energy i was able to up my minutes to 13 minutes a time for a total of thirty minutes a day and so far lost lost 17 pounds . will weigh again some time this weekend. well gotta go do my last set of minutes for the day!
toofatforu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:40 AM   #7  

Good morning ladies,

Sorry about missing the chat last night. I had fully intended on participating. Thought about it at 6:30 and was going to sign on while DH got dinner ready. But he's sick with a cold (and perhaps dying from it ) and I got sidetracked by having to help him. Next time I thought about it, it was 8:30. Okay, never mind, chat wasn't last night but is tonight!

Who's American Idol fans? It was time for Bucky to go. He can sing but he's not Idol material. This is cruel, but he needs braces on those teeth. Ace thinks he's too cute. He'll be good as a model somewhere. Then Paris should be next. Taylor is one of my favorites but I don't think he will win. Probably Chris or Kathryn. Kelly can sing but her hillbilly routine is getting so old. Do you think the other contestants are getting tired of her attention getting acts on camera? We tuned in last night to hear her going on about having the community snot rag.

I had to turn on the A/C at home yesterday. We're having a spell of upper 80's, maybe 90 tomorrow. DH is here all day and I don't want the house hot and smelling hot in case someone comes to see the house.

I got called into the bosses office yesterday. She asked me if I could take over managing an area of seven more employees until the end of July without killing me. On top of my current job of nine people. What was I supposed to say? No, I don't have time? No, thanks, I'd rather not? The AVP who usually is responsible for the area, has had too much turnover and too many open positions in another of his sections and that area is totally falling apart. And he's nearing a total meltdown, if not breakdown. He just cannot handle the stress of working for her. I've survived for 18 years and while I have bad days, I get up and face another day without being completely traumatized by her. He is completely traumatized and seeing a therapist. He really needs to quit and find a more friendly environment. He's let this problem fester way too long and it now warrants her intervention. I get to pick up the pieces. I told DH to expect me to be putting in extra hours and this will definitely put a kabash in my horse time. He and I also discussed that this could be her way of setting me up to be able (and ready?) to transistion into other areas of leadership as my own area gets integrated away. Or else her way of setting me up for failure. Oh yes, and I needed more stress in my life, didn't I? Glad I didn't call in sick yesterday after all.

Lilion - Wow, you have your hands full this month. If you take some days and don't post, we will be here when you get back. Better to focus on getting caught up at work than posting here and getting any further behind. It is very time consuming - love this site - but it can get out of hand time-wise very quickly.

Patti - Keep treadin'!

I need to go get DH up. He's taking me to work so that he can get the oil changed in the Escape and wash it. Then tonight we're driving from work down to see the horses. Got to be home for Survivor! (and chat!)

Have a great OP day!
Old 04-13-2006, 09:07 AM   #8  

i see i am not the only Idol fan! i am getting tired of Kellie. I like Chris and Taylor those are my picks.!Happy exercising
toofatforu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:37 PM   #9  
JPS

S/C/G: 220/195/150

Height: 5'1.5"

Default Am I too Old?

It was suggested that I visit this support group because it was 40+. Well I'm a lot over 40...59 to be exact. Will I fit in???? I want so desparately to lose weight, but can't seem to get it together. Thinking the Sonoma Diet...any ideas on it?

I'll totally understand if I"m in the wrong place.
Workinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:27 PM   #10  

1fatoldlady - First, you need to give us a name we can use other than fat old lady! Of course you will fit in! I'm one of the younger "Old Hens" at 42...but I'm sure we have ladies here your age or older. I'm personally doing Weight Watchers and love it...but what little I know of the Sonoma Diet sounds really interesting and totally healthy. Hey, any diet that lets you have wine and chocolate is for me!

We are a little slower-paced than the other 300+ board...(Heck, we're a LOT slower-paced!) But I think that's what most of us like about this group! The other one is awfully hard to keep up with at times.

So jump on in, tell us all about yourself! I'm sure the other ladies can give you more info than I can... and
Old 04-13-2006, 01:54 PM   #11  
JPS

S/C/G: 220/195/150

Height: 5'1.5"

Lilion,
Thank you for such a nice welcome. I'm still feeling my way around this site but love it and am looking for the support and comradorie it will bring. Like I said, I am 59 years old, divorced, mother of 2 married daughters and the Grandmother of one 9 month old granddaughter. My second daughter is expecting in August....a boy. So I have so much to lose for, not only them, but a healthier life.

I need to lose about 80 pounds and have tried ALL diets. I have lost at least 3 times on WW, but can't seem to get it to work for me now. I agree, it's a wonderful program and couldn't be healthier, but I need a change. I currently work out 4-5 times a week at the gym. I don't lose the weight. I give a diet a week or maybe two and then just forget it. I don't lose, so why do it....needless to say I'm bummed and need some motivation I guess.

I'm going out this evening after work to purchase the Sonoma Diet book in hopes of some earth shattering motivation...wish me luck.

Thanks again for your warm welcome and I'm looking forward to the interaction with you all. Keep up the wonderful work I see you're doing Lilion, that's awesome....YOU"RE awesome.

Joan
Workinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:02 PM   #12  

Joan - Now, isn't that nicer than fat old lady?

I don't know about too much advice coming from me on motivation, except to say that this is the 3rd time I've tried WW myself. This is also the most I've ever lost - ever! I lost 40 two times on WW and once just counting calories and fat grams. Gained it all back +++ of course. I'd say the first thing you have to do is concentrate on long-term changes, not short-term losses. I don't consider myself on a diet...I know that this is they way I have to eat the rest of my life.

You'll see as you go on I fall down on the plan quite a bit...heck, I had a buffet with mashed potatoes and milk gravy Tuesday. But you go back to it the next meal and it all evens out. We didn't get this size by eating mashed potatoes once after all! I didn't lose this week, didn't gain either, and I'm mostly back on track. So we go on from here!

I hope you like the Sonoma Diet book. I look forward to hearing about it. I'm not a "member" of WW and not real strict on their plan so I always like to hear about other plans and what they consist of.

Must get back to work now!
Old 04-13-2006, 05:55 PM   #13  
Michigan Old-Timer

CHAT.........TONIGHT, 9:00 EST/8:00 CST
Old 04-13-2006, 07:00 PM   #14  

Hi everyone,

had planned on doing a longer post but have spent so long catching up on the threads it's going to have to be another quickie.

Joan this is a great place for motivation and encouragement, I'm sure you'll love it. Good luck with the plan you decide on.

Thankyou to those of you who made me realise I should be pleased with my loss no matter how much it is. Ungrateful cow that I am, lol. I suppose I'm more impatient (and unappreciative) than I'd realised. But after saying that I do hope for greater things at my weigh in tomorrow - I have a bad feeling I'm going to see the consequences of my blow out

My next challenge is going to be resisting all the girls' chocolate Easter eggs, even though we don't get them any chocolate they will be getting loads from other people. I haven't had any chocolate for 2 months now and haven't craved it but I know if I started eating it I wouldn't be able to stop

Bloomin 'eck, bedtime already, got to get some sleep, hubby and kids off tomorrow as it's Good Friday but I'm up at 6 for work.

Big hugs to you all
LesleyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #15  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi girls!

Just hanging out. Nothing terribly new here. Had lunch with 2cute and Susie. Decided we'd have more time if I cooked instead of us going out to eat. I made Asian Potstickers and Spring Rolls with rice. It turned out very nice.

Joan: Welcome to our little corner. I think you'll enjoy it here. I'm sorry but I don't know much about the Sonoma Diet but here is the Sonoma Review from another area of 3FCs: http://www.3fatchicks.com/diets/sonoma-diet.php I didn't know if you had seen it but it might have some info that would be interesting to you.

Patti: 17 pounds is AWSOME!!! You're doing great!

Lilion: Hope you're getting some of your decisions caught up with. Glad you've come to terms with the Wyoming thing. Is hubby ok with the decision to ditch the idea?

Terri: You haven't missed chat..............yet. On the job front, I think I'd view it as the boss looking out for you. After all, she gave you a good review and you're handling all the stress AND you have a proven track record while working for her. She knows a good thing when she sees it.

Lesley: I don't remember how old your daughters are, but try enlisting their help. Ask them to hide their chocolate Easter goodies and tell them that in this one instance it's ok to be selfish and NOT share any of it with you.

I'm gonna run. I'm heading to chat. I hope I'll have some company tonight. Love ya bunches.