Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 11:33 AM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again...#839

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
Old 02-20-2006, 11:41 AM   #2  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Honiangel-I had heard people talking about the belly dancing class at the YMCA back in Florida. Someone said that overweight women often lose a feeling of being feminine. I certainly did. She said belly dancing can help you get back in touch with that. I’ve never done step stuff. I have a bad knee, and the doctor told me that taking steps puts 7 times your body weight on each knee as you go up. I take steps when I have to, but don’t go out of my way to find them yet. I figure that I’ll give my knees a break until I get below 300 anyway.

NoLife-I don’t know how you stay on track at all on a truck. I have the security of my own cooking from my own kitchen. I can insulate myself to an extent. You go into the lion’s den everyday. Take every step forward as a victory.

Moving-I used to make the mistake of buying different food for company or visitors. Now everyone knows if they accept an invitation to dinner at our house that they will get a healthy balanced meal, probably no dessert, and no sugar or caffeine in sight. I have yet to have anyone turn down dinner because of it. I think we deep down crave good for us food. Don’t be afraid to be that eccentric aunt who cooked real food. They will remember it fondly when eating cold pizza in college.

As for me, it is Family Day here in Canada. I guess that sounds nicer than President’s Day. I may actually get to cook for just two today. I’m making corn tortillas. I finally found a Latin market here that sells not only good masa, but freshly ground masa. I’m used to Mexican markets, and this gentleman is from El Salvador, but he even grinds his own black bean flour. Plus I found him only 10 blocks from home. I’m feeling more at home here everyday.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:53 AM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Crock--I love your new avatar, BTW! I think you're being very smart about only adding a few things here and there for Phase 2. I think that those who don't succeed on South Beach often fail because they add too many carbs back too quickly, ya know? But oatmeal and apples are excellent choices!
Old 02-20-2006, 12:01 PM   #4  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

Height: 5'6"

Hey Catherine.... I am that eccentric aunt! I have a neice (age 6 and overweight) and a nephew (9 and underweight). Neither of them are made to try new foods at home. They are at my house 1-3 weekends per month and they know that they have to at least "try" what I make before they can say that they don't like it. They don't get packaged foods here. If they decide after 3 bites that they don't "like it" then they get a sandwich of their choice. *L* My neice is going to have lots of weight issues as at 6 she weighs double what her friends do and it pains me greatly knowing what may lay ahead of her. I do this mainly for her sake and since, she has realized that strange foods aren't always awful foods (strange to her is carrots and broccoli *L*) It also helps motivate me during the week to get something different to try..... tonight it is speghetti squash Now if I can only get hubby to try it *L*

Brenda
Old 02-20-2006, 12:11 PM   #5  
South Beach Life Style

Jill~ Thanks, If you can give me your e-mail later, the pup came from an e-mail I got called SCREEN CLEANERS> there are a bunch of pups and a cat licking the screen ,,,,,,,,,IT is so cute, I will send it to u if you want..
Thanks for all you help, It is very appreciated.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:24 PM   #6  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

Hey crock, how is phase 2 going?? I am sticking with phase 1 for another week or so I think. I need a real boost to my weightloss Next week I am going to start bringing in apples and rice!!! I SO miss having a sidedish that doesnt involve broccoll or lettuce..... Just once or twice a week
Old 02-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #7  
South Beach Life Style

Brenda~~ It is going fine,, I chose to go on with Phase II ,, I am changing my life, and I know Phase II will be the longest Phase, untill I reach my goal weight, I am taking baby steps., But I am sure some days will be a Phase I day and others a Phase II, I am just going with it.. I am really Happy with How I feel. I made the Taco Bake for Phase I yesterday,, I love it.. and will Make it again when I run out. Take Care, and Good luck,, Keep me updated on how you are doing , as I will too.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:40 PM   #8  

Red face

I have been OP for three days. I know that doesn’t seem like a big deal, but it is for me. I went out shopping yesterday and we had to have lunch so I got a chili from Wendy’s, which is OK on my plan. I was being good as gold and ordered it and the woman handed it out the window to me. OK ~ so no spoon. So I sit at the drive-thru for 10 minutes waiting for her to come back and tell her I need a spoon. She says “We don’t got none.” I said “You don’t have spoons for chili?” She said “No, we got forks.” Ever try to eat chili with a fork? Me neither! And not this time either.

OK ~ this is the kind of stuff that happens when I try to do the right thing and it usually makes me mad and gets me off track (this is the way my luck runs). I didn’t let it though. I was able to find an old spoon in my dashboard and use it. The chili was really old and thick and had way too many spices, but I ate it anyway so I could stay OP (even though hubby was having potato wedges from KFC). I also was able to walk for an hour yesterday during shopping at the wholesale club, etc.

Baby steps!

~~~

Brenda ~ Congratulations! I’m very happy for you for your loss. You should be very proud of yourself.

Catherine ~ (“I am so happy, that we could be living under a bridge in a fridge box, and I’d still be happy.”) Now that’s happy!

I know exactly what you are saying about “my time.” My husband came to me for two or three different things this weekend and I told him to figure it out for himself. It took him a while, but he did. Plus, he was proud that he was able to do it himself (and kept telling me so). I told him he could if he would keep trying. Too many people in my life are too dependent on me and it’s time that I put that to an end.

I had to take over and do something for my husband on Sunday and I realized that the reason I’m so fatigued is that I have to do everything I do twice ~ once for me and once for him! He might have a disability, but he is not “un able.” I told him he’d be screwed if I died and wasn’t there to do things for him. It’s time for him to get some life lessons and start being more independent. I am doing too many things ~ I’m doing about four jobs at work and my family also is needy. That’s all going to change!

NoLife ~ I agree with Catherine. That must be a tremendous challenge to eat on the road. It’s good that you are able to do it. I'm don't think I'd be as able to handle it as you are.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Good Morning ladies,

Again I want to thank you so much for encouraging me and all the cyber hugs. I really appreciate them.

Congrats to all the loosers. Kayley what a big amount off of your hips! Wonderful. I can't wait until I can report the same thing!

Tashabella: I'm so glad that you stuck to it and are still here. I know things will look up for you soon. How are things at work going for you? I hope better.

Catherine: When I was reading your post about fixing nutritional things I was so amazed and in awe. You are such a wonderful wife. Your husband was very lucky to have met you. I hope he treats you like the princess that you are. Thanks for the pep talk. I get so overwhelmed sometimes. I guess we all do.

Valerie: New PUPPY! OH, I love puppies. I love all dogs but puppies are so special. The way their little body wiggles when they wag their tail. Out of control. Give Simon a snuggle for me. I hope that you cheer up soon. You are amazing too Valerie how you are out on the truck all the time and still go to Curves and eat right. Very inspirational.

Moving & Shaking: Welcome.

Everyone else, be blessed and have a wonderful op day.
Blessings,
Dogpal
Old 02-20-2006, 03:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Good afternoon everyone! Well, I'm back back! lol...not just popping in. This weekend was really great, and I know I'm not going to be able to catch up on all of the posts...but Crock, I wish you good luck with Phase 2! I'll be heading into it once I get to about 290, I think. So only about 20 more pounds!!! I weighed in yesterday, and I was only down 1 pound, but it's better than nothing, I guess. 11 more pounds to lose by St. Patrick's Day. Although, I have a question for you gals. I usually weigh right where the scale is in Andrew's house, which is on the carpet. And he weighs on the hard floor. There's about a 10 pound difference! Do you think I should go with the weight of the hard floor, and up my ticker 10 pounds, or do you think I should just keep weighing from where I started, and then once I get to about 200, just keep going? That's what I'm thinking of doing, since I started on the carpet weighing in at 350...lemme know what you guys think! I've got about 2 hours before my class starts, and I'm just bored, so I'll be lurking around!
Old 02-20-2006, 04:52 PM   #11  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Going to lose-I have a niece that I am only 8 years older than. When I saw her following in my footsteps, or rather lumbering along in them, I hated it. I wasn’t at a place where I could set a good example. Someday your niece is going to need an example of how to overcome what will be the biggest mountain she may ever climb. I often think that I am not just going through this for myself, but for that one person that I might reach who needs it the most at that moment.

Tasha-3 days OP is better than a three day binge. Every one of those days is a victory. We have all gone through days where we are trying so hard, and it seems like roadblocks are thrown up everywhere. Bravo for not letting the Gremlins win. I understand about doing everything for everyone. I just got off the phone with my ex-roommate trying to talk her through loading film in her camera. I always thought that it was easier to do everything myself than to try to show someone else how to. I actually did her a serious disfavor. She had me to do everything for 15 years. Separating from her was practically like a divorce. I expected her to be mad or upset, but she is actually devastated. You’re right, if you were to die, he couldn’t even call you up to ask how to do something. I actually had to leave detailed checklists behind. In the long run she is going to end up being fine, probably even better for it, but I should have had her doing for herself a long time ago.

Dogpal-His sister came over Saturday, mostly I think to inspect the house, and said that Austin had, “fallen in the pudding” and was lucky to have me. I told her that I felt the same way. He does treat me like a princess. He insists on holding my hand when we cross the street. I groaned slightly this morning getting up, mostly one of those, “is it morning already” growls, and he came running thinking I had hurt myself. It is so strange for me to have someone actually care about me. I’ve spent half my life taking care of other people, other people’s kids, anyone but myself. I hated myself so long, that the idea that someone could care about me seems alien. I of all people understand what it feels like to get overwhelmed. I’ve lain in bed at times thinking that I was going to just fly off it and lose my grip of gravity. That’s why I can’t think about how much I have left to lose, or how long it will take. It’s too big. I can only think about today, and just losing one pound this week. Anything else, and it would crush me. Keep it simple.

Kayley-I have had scale issues repeatedly. In the beginning, I had to buy 3 scales and put a piece of plywood across them to get a weight. I have had scales weigh me 40 lbs. different in the same day. I know that hard floors are supposed to be more accurate. I have gone with low scales, and high scales during the last 4 years. I think I prefer the high ones just because I’m less likely to get nasty surprises. When I got down to 380, I bought a scale that could go up to 400 lbs. I was excited at the idea of getting to use just one scale. It said I weighed 410. I said every cuss word I know. Then I picked myself, dusted myself off, and reset my counter. That’s all you can do. A lot of GNC’s have scales that are pretty accurate. Hit one, and see which of your scales is more accurate.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Hello All,

I had a bad day on Saturday, though not bad bad. I just had a whole day out, a wonderful one, seeing a show and eating out. I had two meals out, the first one I tried to choose well on, a salad baguette, but the second meal was pizza. I thoroughly enjoyed what I ate though. No guilt, but I am sure it wont have helped with my weight loss for last week.

I am back on track now, so no harm done. I have got a bit of a cold/cough, so I don't feel up to exercising which will harm my weight loss more than my diet day off on Saturday. I hope I will be well enough to exercise soon.

I hope everybody had a good weekend. Daren's thumb is much better. All the gunk has gone, and the swelling is right down. It's just where the thumb was lanced that needs to heal up now.

Take care all,

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 02-20-2006, 08:30 PM   #13  

I started this last night, but I didn't get around to posting it

Tasha- I'm glad you are not ignoring your health just because of some jerky doctor. I hope you can find a supportive doctor that can help you & work with you. It is so worth it!- you are worth it!

Karen- You might want to check on Ebay for coupons for your Lean Cuisines to help with the cost. I've been doing that with some of the meal replacement bars & some other things, like pet food. If you can find some who has a good BuyItNow price with combined shipping (most coupon sellers charge less then a $1 for any number of coupon auctions) and combine it with a good sale, you can really save some money. I paid 5cents a piece for buy 1 get one free Hersey Smart Zone coupons and then RiteAid had them on sale for buy 1 get 1 free so I paid nothing at the store ...I just wish I would have realized sooner or I would have bought a lot more of the coupons

Kayle- You're lucky you just got the rain on Thursdays...just an hour or so north of you we got snow, sleet, hail, rain, freezing rain, & thunder storms...all within 12 hours I would say you're best to weigh on a flat, level surface- carpet will not give you an accurate reading & if there is a hardwood floor available, I'd use it. I know my GYN office has a scale in each exam room and since the rooms are carpeted, they have the scales sitting on piece of plywood on top of the carpet. I'm still shopping to find the perfect new scales- I want some of the new fangled features

Jullee- Don't you just love it when you find yummy treats like that? Especially when they are eat out type places...it can be so hard some times to eat healthy when everyone else wants a treat. You might also want to check the McDodalds cones- they use to be really popular when I was doing WW a few years ago.

Zelma- I hope you stay safe with the bush fires- I've never lived in an area where they are real threat, but the pictures of the devastation and how fast they can move is unreal. You asked about the feeding tube- I've been on it for over 4 years now...caught a simple stomach flu from one of my students (I was working on my PhD at the time). I'm hoping that if they can find a formula I'm not allergic to that I might do better though I don't know if I will ever be able to go off it completely. I plan on doing some research before my appointment Tuesday- figure its better to go in with some ideas of what might work instead of rely on the doctor & dietitian to totally...I have a lot more at stake then they do, beside I use to be a medical/vocational case manager so my doctors sort of expect me to be prepared.

Shelly- I keep thinking about joining TOPs, but my problem is that I live a small town and I teach on some weeks on the night they have their meeting. Are they okay about you missing meetings? I could probably make it 2 times a month, most of the time.

Catherine- I understand the friendship issue, since I got so sick a few years ago, I lost contact with a lot of my friends. It was hard to maintain friendships when I was able to do so little- eating out was out of the question (even going into a restaurant was too much if the nausea was really bad) and with my knee problem, physical activities had fallen by the wayside a long time ago...add in that I couldn't stay awake long enough to see a movie until they addressed my sleep disorders 2 1/2 years ago and there just wasn't a lot left to do, especially when you're on disability so money is always tight I slowly started doing some stuff with quilting- I had always sewn since I was kid and started quilting as a teen, so it was a good hobby to pick back up again. A lot of the quilt shops had $5 Block of the Month programs, where you paid $5 the first month and as long as you had your block finished by the next months meeting, the next block was free; so you could theoretically go 12 month with only paying $5. I did several different ones with my mom...can't say that I finished any of the quilts, but someday I'll have a lot of pretty quilts if I just put all the blocks together. It was a great way for to slowly push myself to do more to the point I occasionally teach or host a club at one of the shops for machine embroidery. I love doing it, besides-the discount on everything I buy at the store really helps too Now I just have to figure out how to meet guys...being single at 34 is not how I expected my life to be. BTW- I know you're a sewer too- did your sewing machine make the more with you? Have you checked out any of the local sewing shops yet?

Ammi- I hope Darren's thumb is going to be okay. You finally get your health on the right track and now it sounds like you're still ending up at the hospital a lot between Darren & your daughter. BTW, did she have the appt with the specialist about the dizziness yet? And how are you doing through all this?

Garnet- funny how family can do that to you, isn't it? Maybe its better that my brother basically doesn't talk to me Though in his mind, I'll always be 'just a kid', since he's 14 years older then me...even though I'm 34 now, you would think I never knew what I was talking about, according to him. I finally realized this summer that its not just me- he treats everyone that way

Crockett- that over thinking math will get you every time. I tested out of math for my undergrad degree completely- all I had to take was Statistics as part of my BS in Psychology & Sociology. Even in my Masters, I only had to take another statistics & research method class. By the time I took my GRE test to get into the PhD program, it had been over 10 years since I'd had an algebra class I tried to re-memorize some of the formulas- it wouldn't have done me any good, even if I had them right in front of me I couldn't tell you how to use them but I still managed to score very well on the math part because I used common sense & didn't over think the answers.

Dogpal- I'm glad you decided to stick around- we all need each other to get through the rough patches and the good patches too

I have been really struggling the past 4-5 days to get enough calories/nutrition in- 1300 calories has been my maximum, which is way too low at my current weight. I am so stressed about eating, which just makes the nausea & all worse- I hate to admit that I'm literally fighting back tears while typing this. Its 8pm and I've been up for 16 hours and I've only managed to eat 200-300 calories. Do other people have problems when they go too long without eating? Do you find that you reach at point where you almost can't eat? I know it sounds stupid, how can someone my weight not be able to eat? I keep thinking the next day will be better...its been over 5 years since I caught that stupid stomach flu bug that forever changed my life. I'm trying so hard to accept that I will never be able to eat 'normally' again; I just want to find a new normal for me and for my body to stick to it...is that too much to ask? I need everyones thoughts & prayers tomorrow when I see my GI doctor- I just hope we can figure something out to replace the feeding tube formula that I realized after all these years that I was allergic to I'm going to try to eat a little dried pineapple & cashews (for some reason that's the only thing that remotely sounds good...besides, its something I can nibble at). My goal is to get my calories up to at least 500-600 for today and try to do better tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:03 PM   #14  

Hi everyone! FIrst.... WELCOME to Moving/Shakin...
I'm sure you'll find this a great place to check in with others and find support.

Christine -- I hope you know we're pulling for you. I can't even begin to know all the strength it takes to face what you're facing, but you ARE strong, so I know that you will come through this. Be gentle with yourself and try just a little bigger step each time... get those calories up and be healthy. I do know what you mean about it being so odd for us to say "I didn't eat enough" --- sometimes I get so worried about eating too much that I realize I'm doing the opposite and not getting ENOUGH nutrition or calories. Ironic, I think... to weigh what I do and feel like I have to make myself eat more. BUt you NEED to stay healthy --- your body getting what it needs will help fortify your emotions....so try to get the food in check and the rest may follow.

There have been a lot of posts since the last time I posted so I'll just say HELLLLOOOO to you all and let you know I'm keeping up with you and thinking of all of you.

I do have a fear ---rational or irrational (I think rational) --- that I need to share with others who will understand. This Saturday, I am going to Orlando with my partner in weight loss (she has a conference.. I'm going just for fun and for a winter vacation). SO.... I'm really excited.... even though I'm feeling HORRIBLY guilty about being away form work right now.... BUT...
we're doing the whole Disney World thing... and we both LOVE roller coasters and ohter big rides. I'm soooo afraid I'm going to be embarrassed by not being able to get a lap bar down or a seat belt on.... and everyone will be staring at me... ACK.. I hate feeling this way..... in so many areas of my life, I'm confident. But when it comes to stuff like this... well... just ACK.

What is it about this forum that just causes you to share your little secrets you'd never share with anyone else?

Hope you all are finding little victories that help you keep going. Have a great night / day
Old 02-20-2006, 09:17 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

2LosinIt, I know what you mean about sharing with the forum. I would have NEVER admitted how much I weighed or ANYTHING. But now I feel nothing but openness with all of you. It's so fantastic! DISNEY WORLD!!! I love it there! And I know what you mean about being scared to get on the rides for fear of not fitting correctly. That's a reason I won't go to the fair, or any carnivals around here. Maybe this August, I'll have lost enough weight for me to feel comfortable at the fair...we'll see! I hope you have fun!!!

Christine, I've been having problems getting enough calories in as well. It's not like I'm NOT eating, because I am! It's just that what I eat doesn't really HAVE that many calories in it! *sigh*

I've decided once and for all that I'm going to start phase 2 of the diet when I hit 280. That's only another 30 pounds...I can do it!
Closed Thread