Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again...#831

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
Old 02-11-2006, 02:15 PM   #2  

Okay- I didn't kill myself on the Nordic Track...wouldn't say it was graceful either....and its going to be a long time before I can do my legs & arms at the same time- but that things gets your heart rate up!

Crocket- Remember too that at thte doctors office, you were probably fully dressed with heavy winter clothes & shoes- that can make a couple pounds difference, especially if you weigh yourself in your birthday suit at home. Also, if you're near the top end of the range for your scale- or even your doctors scale- they are not always as acurate then. Your bathroom scale could be fine at lower weights, but if its only off .05 per pound, that adds up to 15 pounds when you get to 300 pounds. Its like with sewing- I can be off a little on seam allowance when I making a simple shirt or pants, but if I'm off even the tinest bit when I'm sewing a quilt top, it makes a big difference because the mistake is compounded with each additional seam...I've seen peoples projects come out 3" off because their seam allowance was only a hair bigger then 1/4".

I think its important to pick a scale that you feel is accurate & that you have access to as often as you need it- and just stick with it. I know my bathroom scales are pretty acurate with most of my doctors offices- usually if I weigh myself in the morning at home, I'll weigh 3-4# more at the doctors offices. Sometimes I'll make a point of coming straight home and getting on the scale againg, with the same exact clothes on, without eating or using the restroom, just to see if its the same- and its usually within a pound when I do that.

Okay...I really am getting going now and running my errands- honest
Old 02-11-2006, 02:17 PM   #3  
South Beach Life Style

The Doctor Scales Showed Me At 300 Lbs Fully Dressed, House Scale Without Shoes , Showed Me 320 A Week Ago,,
Old 02-11-2006, 02:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Well, chicks! It's off to work for me!
Later!!!
Old 02-11-2006, 04:55 PM   #5  
Amber

S/C/G: 293/277/140

Default Stability ball exercises

I just bought a stability ball today. It came with the pump and a stability ring (which I'm not sure I like yet) and bungee cords that attach to the ring to add resistence training (which I do like). What it didn't come with was any kind of explanation about exercises. I mean nothing...It told me how to put it together and that was it. Does anyone know of a site that explains some of the exercises? I am searching now but I haven't found much...
Old 02-11-2006, 05:05 PM   #6  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

Honi, I'll PM the sites I found & use. I got one without exercises as well, but I developed my own exercises for it before I actually searched. I enjoy my exercises much more than the others, but I throw in a bit of everything just to make it a bit more rounded.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

brandnewme -- I think I missed that you had made your first mini-goal -- just wanted to give a big congrats!!!! That is AWESOME!
Old 02-11-2006, 06:42 PM   #8  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

Thanks wyllenn! Still have quite a ways to go, but for once it's staying off

This weekend has really crawled by! I'm a bit surprised, but it's nice to have a bit of a reprieve before everything speeds up again.

I'm still sick, I'm beginning to think it's a permanent thing , but I actually have energy rather than being completely dead all the time. I'm trying to work my way back up to my 60 minutes of exercise daily, but I still hurt when I try to do too much.

I'm still having issues getting all my food in (especially with being broke - it's amazing how much it costs to buy healthy food), and water has been another big issue. I've done okay the last 3 days with water, but not fantastic. I'm averaging about 48oz of water a day, but that's better than the 0-20oz I was getting before that. I'm shooting to get up to 64, and then I'll push it up again. The downside, of course, is the constant need to pee! And, for some reason, I'm starving all the time today (and yesterday for that matter). I think it's my body's way of reminding me to not get too comfortable.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend! I'll be on and off all day, so if you want to chat, let me know!
Old 02-11-2006, 07:52 PM   #9  
South Beach Life Style

I have a question, I have ate plenty today ,however my caloric intake is 804, is that low and I have heard that if your calories per day are low like this your body will go into starvation mode and stop loosing,, is this a true tale that I have heard, I have over 100 lbs to go, so I have a lot to lose, Kinda concerned here...............
Old 02-11-2006, 08:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

MsCrockett -- There have been so many threads on other 3fc forums about the number of calories to eat/day. Most people have heard that you shouldn't go below 1200 cals/day. Personally, I believe that when you weigh a lot, you should be even higher.

The risks are less, I think for the dreaded "starvation mode" -- a term that gets bandied around here an awful lot -- but more about not being able to get enough nutrients and a greater likelihood that you will lose muscle and not fat when you eat too little (esp if you aren't exercising).

If you haven't found the calorie counters board, you may want to check it out, there's lots of good info there.

I personally am shooting to be healthy rather than for quick weight loss (though it may be possible to do both, I think that's somewhat more difficult). I want this to be for life. When I started I was eating about 2000 cals/day and now that I've lost weight, I keep it under 1900 on average. I lose between 1 and 2 pounds/week these days.

So I guess what I'm saying is to think about the whole you and
Old 02-11-2006, 08:56 PM   #11  

Its okay for your calorie count to be that low one day every once in awhile- our bodies really don't now when a day starts/ends per se and as long as your average for the week is pretty good, don't let one one day worry you. When the low calories begin to hurt you is if its for a longer period of time. In my case, before I was put on a feeding tube I struggled to get to 800 calories most days (and actually keep that many calories in unfortunately, even with heavy duty anti-nausea meds). This went on for several months, with me bouncing around from as low as 200 calories some days, to 1200 if I was really, really lucky, most days were in the 600-800calorie range. Towards the end, I went about 3 weeks with hardly any food orally- the only thing that kept me alive was the IV fluids they gave me in the hospital; and even with that, my body had started to show muscle & tissue breakdown. As you can imagine, it totally screwed up my metabolism- its such a fine line for me to walk between getting enough nutrition and getting too many calories.

Also, a lot of times when people think their calorie intake is that low they find out they misread/misjudged serving sizes. Did you get the calories from the packages or from a general calorie list? Did you measure your food? I keep a digital scale in my kitchen- I've learned its too easy for portions to be off over time if I don't check them from time to time. How much protein did you have today? That is the one thing I've learned to monitor closely when I'm at the lower end of my calorie range- I try not to drop below 40 grams protein at the very lowest, though 60 grams is better. What about having a healthy snack, like an apple with peanut butter? or something like to up your calories to at least 1000.

Have you ever tried keeping a Fitday.com food journal? It a great -free- way to track not just your calories, but all the other nutritional needs too and make sure that everything is in balance. I need to get back using mine again- it has tons of foods already there for you to use, plus you can add your own to customize it for things you make or things that just aren't on their list. The only warning is that Fitday's activity calorie calculator tends to be a little to generous with what it says you burn for your height/weight.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:47 PM   #12  
South Beach Life Style

Fitday is where I realized my low calories for today, thanks to Kayley I checked out this site, I am on Phase 1 on the South Beach diet and I have been looking alot of places today to find out about calories and all, It just asounds me that I have ate a good bit today on such low calories, No I dont count calories, I dont count anything actually, That is what I like about the SB life style, however after noting my calories for today, I am thinken I had better learn how to do that.. I am a list person, I can Live easily by a list and to weigh my food, count it and all to me is a task, that I dont like to do. Everybody is different. Thank you so much for the info.. I have read this twice to retain what u have said, the only info I have found on the calorie thing came from some threads i found....... I am still searching though.. Thanks.wyllenn and christine. OH btw...... I lost 10 lbs this week.......... wooo hooo
Old 02-11-2006, 09:56 PM   #13  
South Beach Life Style

Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 802
grams cal total
Fat: 14 124 16%
Sat: 5 47 6%
Poly: 1 8 1%
Mono: 2 18 2%
Carbs: 44 161 21%
Fiber: 3 0 0%
Protein: 121 483 63%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%
Old 02-11-2006, 10:05 PM   #14  
Amber

S/C/G: 293/277/140

Default Calorie Problems too...

I was about to post a similar question...I just started a fitday food journal, and messed it up because I created after midnight and put yesterdays food on today *shrugs*. But the one day is just under 1200 cals., which surprised me but then today I haven't eaten hardly anything because I'm just not hungry. That's how my weekends go usually at least one day I don't eat much at all. When, at 7:30, I realized I had only eaten two turkey wraps at lunch, I rushed to make something for dinner to find I wasn't hungry. I finally made a cottage cheese salad, which I don't remember the cal count of it now, but when I figured up how many points it would be for WW it was 3 points for 1 1/2 cups. So all day point wise I have had only 12 1/2 points. I've exercised, I did my 2 mile workout and I just bought a stability ball and have done 30 mins of exercise on it, plus been sitting on it all night....

On another note...I LOVE my stability ball!!! Although you ought to see me trying to do exercises on it with the two little girls and the dog running around trying to take the ball away *LOL*. Anja is facinated with watching me upside down on it (when I stretch over it so my head touches the ground). I was terrified of it before I bought it, but I decided that I needed something I could do with girls around so I bought it...and I am proud to say I haven't fallen off of it once.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:26 PM   #15  
South Beach Life Style

I am glad the excercise ball is fun, best of luck to you with it, I was laughing picturing u fighting off the kids and the dog, that is an excercise it its self, lol.. take care
Closed Thread