Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 11:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Arrow February Exercise Thread: Make it a Habit!

Welcome!

...To the February exercise thread! We're trying to make exercise a habit and give ourselves some accountability!

In this thread, we're setting the number of MINUTES we want to exercise for the month -- whether it's walking or swimming or housework!

We're also tracking how many minutes we have exercised as a group!

Please add your minutes (for yourself and the group) and get some support and accountability!

If you want to join us during the month -- GREAT! Just let us know how many minutes you want to exercise in what's left of the month!
Old 01-30-2006, 11:57 PM   #2  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Default Commitment To Feb's Exercise Goal !!

OK, here we go again!! YIPPEE!!! I didn't quite make my 800 minutes for January, so I'm going to try again. For me, if I'm not sweating and puffing, it just isn't exercise, so I just include power walking or strength training. Other stuff like working horses at the barn just doesn't count as much. I am starting some Kung Fu lessons (doesn't that sound silly - Kung Fu?) from a friend of mine that teaches it. That will be physical as well as mental, so perhaps I'll count it since it includes isometric muscle work. Whuddaya think?

FEBRUARY GOAL: 800 HOT AND SWEATY MINUTES.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 357/see tracker/150

Height: 5'2"

Okay--I'm going to commit to doing this for February. I am going to do at least 60 minutes of exercise a day. Whether that be on my treadmill at home or at the gym I'm going to do it for 5 days a week if it freakin' KILLS me! I've seen for myself how important exercise is to weight loss--I was losing much more consistently when I was going to the gym regularly. So--60 minutes a day for 5 days a week is 300 minutes a week and I just looked at a calendar and it's 1200 minutes for the month. I'm actually going to go change my trackers and stuff now and I'm putting something in about my exercise.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Alright, I'm going to go ahead and HOP ON BOARD! But this month, I'm not going to count my WORK hours as exercise...even though I sweat quite often, and I'm always walking, I just want to count my actual EFFORT exercise, if that makes any sense! I'm going to try for 300 minutes this month...let's hope I can do it! This will be the first month I am ACTIVELY exercising...and not just counting work! lol....So let's get to it, LADIES!
Old 01-31-2006, 02:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

OK, I didn't make my January goal but dog gone it, I will make the February one. Thanks Wylynn for starting this and reminding us. You are a blessings to me. For February I will exercise 600 minutes of swimming, weight lifting, treadmill, crunches and maybe biking.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:22 AM   #6  

Okay, my turn. First, I think everyone needs to make their own decisions about exercise. Val, I love the "hot and sweaty" idea, but Kayley I think it's good for you NOT to count work, if it's something you have to do anyway... even if it IS hot and sweaty.

My focus is on habit and health, so I've decided to shoot for 700 minutes (remember, Feb is a slightly shorter month), with goals as follows:

Cardio: minimum of 3 30 min sessions/week: 90X4 = 320 min
Weight: minimum of 2 20 min sessions/week: 40X4= 160 min
Back: NO MORE than 3 10 min sessions/week: 30x4 = 120 min

TOTAL: 600 min accounted for. The last 100 can be extra weight or strength or even a GOOD walk with the dogs.

Wow. This is getting complicated! I guess I'm trying to avoid counting hundreds of hours of back exercise, as that is only so helpful to the rest of me! Sort of Val's "hot and sweaty" idea - I need so much of that/week!

Please, nobody else feel like you need to get this complex! Just move!

As for group goals... it depends how many of us there are, but we are over 9K (150 hours in Jan)... maybe we should try for 10K???
Old 01-31-2006, 10:03 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Wow, wyllenn! You have quite a few goals! But you seem so determined, I know you can do it!
That's what I thought about not counting work. I have to do it anyway, so it's not EXTRA effort...and it's the EXTRA that I need to work on!

I didn't work out when I got up this morning, as I had NO energy...but no excuses, I'm going to do at least 10 minutes tonight. Doesn't sound like much, but remember, I'm just starting out with the exercise. I have to build up my stamina!
Old 01-31-2006, 10:48 AM   #8  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

Height: 5'6"

Hey there fellow exercisers!

Since I made my 600min goal last month I am going make a higher goal for myself for Feb. regardless of the fact that it is a shorter month.

I think 800 minutes would be do-able! so there it is. Now I am committed :-)

Brenda
Old 01-31-2006, 11:23 AM   #9  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Kayley - I probably already mentioned it, but I started by struggling to make 10 or 12 minutes on my treadmill. When I reached a point where I could work out for 45 minutes or an hour with my cheeks rosy & my pulse pumping, I was ecstatic! It took a while, so don't worry about if you're doing just 5 or 10 minutes to start. We aren't competing with each other - we're supporting eachother where ever we are on our own journeys. The most important part of this exercise thing is just that everybody actually.....
START!! YOUR!! ENGINES!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 12:09 PM   #10  

Well, I am thinking I need to make this commitment if I am going to do anything about this weight, so, here I go....I have always counted exercise as steps or miles, as I only walk...but, counting minutes I think will make it easier to do other kinds of things now too!

I am not sure just how to figure out how much time I should/can/will exercise, so for my first month and first attempt at this, I am going to say, ummm, 500 minutes. Thats a nice round number

Do I get to count today (the 31st) as day one for Feb? LOL

Good luck everyone!!!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 05:58 PM   #11  

I'm going for 500 minutes too

Actually the rest of my exercise goals for the month are:
  • Travel 20miles-
    • Walk Away the Pounds videos
    • cross country skier
    • exercise bike
    • 'real' walking
    • whatever
  • Get my Pilates Performer set up & USE IT!!!
  • Get Biggest Loser workout video...and try to do it
  • Check into Curves
  • Sit on Exercise Ball at my computer for 12 hours per week- doesn't count in minutes of course
Old 01-31-2006, 06:22 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Hi All,

I only joined the January thread about three quarters of the way through, and I didn't even keep a personal count of how many minutes I did. So a nice new fresh start for the month of February.

I aim to do 180 minutes minimum a week, that's 5 lots of 30 minutes doing my Salsasize, and 30 minutes walking to the shops. I am not even adding my housework to my goal, but if I do work up a sweat doing it I will include it in the group total. So my monthly goal is a minimum of 720 minutes a month.

I feel so amazing when I write that because it's been so long since I did any exercise at all, and now I am doing plenty

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 01-31-2006, 06:32 PM   #13  

Hi, I think this is a good idea. I want to commit to 45 minutes 5 times and week. So that's 900 minutes but will not include housework, etc. The only thing I will include is if they redo my linoleum and I have to empty kitchen, bath and storage space out and set everything back up again. That's very hard work!
Old 01-31-2006, 06:51 PM   #14  
On Day at a Time

S/C/G: 293/293/165

Height: 6'

This is an awesome way to make exercising a habit. I'm going to aim for 65 minutes a day, whether aerobics or walking on the treadmill, 6 days a week. This makes the total for February 1560 minutes. Whew! But I know I can do it...we all can make our goals!

Hugs,

Sarah
Old 01-31-2006, 06:54 PM   #15  

Wow! Lots of new faces! Can't wait to see us all get moving!

And Valerie's right -- this is not a competition! It's accountability and support!
Closed Thread