Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 04:38 PM   #1  
Dancing those pounds away

Thumbs up Old Hens - 40+ and Ready to Lose- Volume #36

WELCOME !!!!!!
This thread is a sub-set of the 300+ thread.

This group is for those dealing with the challenges of having a significant amount of weight to lose and being fit which becomes harder after age 40. If you're an old or new friend and not over 40 and feel this is the place to post, jump right in.

Old 01-29-2006, 04:40 PM   #2  

Hi everyone. No time to really post right now. DH is taking me to the movies and out for dinner. YEA !!!!
Just want to welcome Fawnice and all other newcomers. We are so glad you joined us.
WELCOME !!!!
Old 01-29-2006, 05:25 PM   #3  
I'm on my way!

Wow it was a nice surprise to see all the posts today! Puts a smile on my face!

I am doing the usual, laundry, dishes, child, dog! Plus...I pulled out my sewing machine to mend the clothes that needed mending. I have been putting it off till I get my house and laundry done but it never seems to get done and never did the mending...so today I said to heck with it....I took it out and did all the sewing that needed to be done. At least I feel productive today! The biggest job was fixing the drawstring on a pair of my scrubs. The tie part snapped off from the elastic part in the back, so I had to open the whole waist band, sew the tie to the elastic and then sew the waist back down again! The hard part was unsewing it to begin with because I couldn't find a seam ripper! I'm not a sewer! I only like to make quilts but consider that creating not sewing. So if you have read this mess up to this point can anyone tell me why my needle keeps coming unthreaded while I'm sewing? I was getting aggravated! Glad thats over!

Thin...never made it out to get the dog collar. The boy didn't want to go. He is such a homebody lately! He said he wanted to stay home by himself! Yeah, right! My spooked little boy all alone! He won't even go in his room when its dark without me or the dog! Its a phase I hope.

2Cute...lucky you, dinner and a movie! What'd you go see? Where'd ya eat?

Well, I still have laundry to do and dinner to cook and I need to bathe the boy tonight so I am off for awhile.

Have a good night! Michelle K
Old 01-29-2006, 05:49 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleK
So if you have read this mess up to this point can anyone tell me why my needle keeps coming unthreaded while I'm sewing? I was getting aggravated! Glad thats over!
Michelle: If it's coming unthreaded at the very beginning of the seam it's because you aren't leaving enough of a tail of thread. I always leave a good 8 inches. If it's doing it in the middle of a seam then that means the thread is breaking. Maybe the tension is too tight on top? Look at the seam and see if if the bottom thread is showing on the top. If it is, try loosening the tension.

I really need to sew. Not only do I have a TON of wool and linen and even red cotton velvet that's waiting for me to make up into medieval garb, I have so many skirts and things that I need to take in so I can wear them again!

2 Cute: Hello! Tell us all about your movie and dinner date with DH later!

Bye again!
Old 01-29-2006, 08:21 PM   #5  
Hang In There

BarbPAWhat great pictures of Carlton!!! I w as w ondereing if you were home yet. Did you get to do any site-seeing while you were there? How long have you been home? Stop by more often and keep up up to date with more pictures.

Garnet: Happy Birthday!!! Great job at the gym a nd great WI!!!

Thin I'm s till waiting to hear more about the ebay store.

Everyone Else Hello and stay focused.

I had an interesting weekend. My sister from CT was here for my brother's son's wedding. The wedding was beatiful. Everthing was very simple, but elegant. Her colors were a crimson shade of red and the used undecorated Christmas trees as decorations. Sound wierd, but it was very striking. It was also my 40th birthday and DH (take that as Darling, or Damn, whichever) got his feeling hurt because I wanted to be with my family. Oh well...

That's about all I have to say tonight
Old 01-29-2006, 10:23 PM   #6  

Barb.... your 40th BIRTHDAY !!!! ???? I have my calendar marked as your anniversary. by any chance is it your 40th anniversary ????

Garnett... Happy Birthday !!!! I missed it somehow. Sorry.

Several asked about the movie and dinner. We saw "Syriana". It was hard for me to keep up with everything. I was really tired and almost fell asleep several times. Dinner was not good.... Well ... it was good ... but not good for weight loss program.

Okay.. gotta run again. I have to make a longgggg "to do" list for tomorrow.
I am running out of time. The end of the month is HERE and I am still working on stuff due at the beginning of the month. *sigh*
Old 01-29-2006, 11:34 PM   #7  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default Garnetfairy posted this at the bottom of the last thread.

My good news is, I went to the gym today to work out did almost an hour and a half...but I couldnt wait until Tuesday for my weigh in since I was there I had to get on the scales and .....I lost 3 more pounds...Tra La

I just finished WATP for 1.5 miles tonight...wow, are my legs tired!

Happy Day everyone!!

oh yeah, for my birthday I am having fat free, sugar free instant chocolate pudding for lunch and fat free, sugar free instant lime jello for dinner...hoorah

thinthinker - Today is my birthday and yes garnet is my birthstone and that is where I get my screen name.

I hope you have had a great weekend and stay with us on the forum...It does not seem to be really active since Ive joined...maybe it has not recovered from the holidays?

Lillion - thank you for the encouragement on my NSV. I finally found out what that meant. Boy was I lost.

Wendyinnm - How wonderful to live in adobe, I bet it really keeps the temperatures steady with little help. Ive always loved adobe but it would probably melt here in TX with our humidity, rain, and heat.
I hope you get over your blues. I have been down too the past 3 days but am feeling a bit better now.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:35 PM   #8  
Michigan Old-Timer

Garnet: Happy, Happy Birthday to you! Hope you had a wonderful day!!!
Old 01-29-2006, 11:44 PM   #9  
leeny

S/C/G: 142/85/66

Hi everyone,,,I would love to join your little gathering. I too am in your boat...I so far have lost 45kgs and need to lose another 20kg but as I am in the 40s age group and finding it more difficult...I would love all your support as you sould like a great bunch...leeny
Old 01-30-2006, 01:40 AM   #10  

Leeny .. we love newcomers !!!!! Congratulations on your 45kgs lost.

Thin... I thought was going nuts.
I knew you were reposting garnets post ...AND
... I knew your birthday was earlier this month.... BUT
... I still feared I had missed your birthday and I was totally impressed with all of that exercise.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:03 AM   #11  

Hi everyone -

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome and words of advice. Here it is a week later and I'm still procrastinating, doing research, etc. One of the problems with my picking a plan is that I feel that it would be healthier for me to go on something like WW core or South Beach, because of the elimination of simple carbs, but I work 60-some hours a week plus I really don't like to cook, so I don't know if I could commit to all that cooking from scratch. The last time I lost a significant amount of weight (about 60 pounds) I went to WW when they had the fat and fiber plan, but I was also taking phentermine (the part of Phen-fen that was not determined to be harmful) and that really helped with my appetite. Now that I'm older I'm kind of afraid to take it again, even though my doctor might prescribe it because it does cause an elevation in heart rate and I sometimes wake up with palpitations as it is - probably due to my sleep apnea. I was seriously considering joining Jenny Craig again, mainly because of the no-cooking benefits, but I just can't justify all that money.

I know that losing weight is the most important thing I could do for my health and happiness, but it is also the hardest thing for me to do since I use food so much to meet emotional needs, to reward myself, when I'm bored, etc. With very little free time or spare money, food is the easist and cheapest way for me to find pleasure. Has anyone ever done the masteringfood.com program? It looks interesting, but again I'm hesitating because of the money involved.

Also, I was going to fill out the profile information at the beginning of this support forum, but don't know how. Does it have to be cut and pasted somehow? I work on a computer as a medical transcriptionist for my job, yet am uneducated about lots of internet/message board details - can only do the basics.

Barbara with the cute cut/litter box picture - I live somewhat close to you - I live in Midlothian. You must be a cat person - I have four cats (plus 3 dogs, a guinea pig, a rabbit and a hamster).

I hope everyone has a good week!

Laelle

For those of you who are doing Weight Watchers, are you going to the meetings, using the on-line program, or just cointing points on your own?
Old 01-30-2006, 09:00 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

I am woefully behind. It was such a whirlwind weekend with no rest and nothing really productive done around the house.

We had a good visit with mom. She only comes up to stay overnight and then leaves early on Sunday. We took her out to look at this place we had found and we asked my brother and his fiance to come see it as well. We wanted second opinions. Everyone thought the place has a lot of potential but are concerned about the drive to work for me. Not like I don't drive 25 miles each way anyway and have done so for 15 years. But, they being country people, liked it.

DH and I skipped church and went to look at other places he had found online and had already driven by himself. He has seen about 30 places and I have been in two. When I'm out at the place, I feel so peaceful about it and can us living there. When I get back home and start thinking, then I start fretting about "what ifs". Mom told me to quit being scared and give it a chance. DH wanted me to see other places and feel comfortable. We covered a lot of country and each one was ruled out quickly for some reason or the other - too many steps to get inside for DH, garage too far away, too unlevel, too many houses around, nice in-ground pool but the land was all trees and no fence ( ), etc. This is the only place we both felt, yes, as soon as we drove in. It will be a lot of work but I look at that as good therapy and exercise. I also look at this as a five year investment. I told DH that I want to be on a five-year plan and then we move into more of our dream home. We go to the realtor tomorrow to talk about the deal and do the contract. Now to sell our house.

Barb.W - I love the pictures. I am soooo happy for you! Thanks for sharing the pics and enjoy being momma!

Barb.G - Happy anniversary!

Welcome to the new faces!!!

I'm running late for work so I better get going. I have to finish reviews today and have Equine class tonight so it will be a long day.

Have a great OP day!
Old 01-30-2006, 09:10 AM   #13  
Hang In There

Yes 2Cute, I meant ANNIVERSARY!!!
Old 01-30-2006, 09:42 AM   #14  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

First and formost:
Garneyfairy: Happy Birthday! Sorry I missed that with my last post!

Barbara: Happy Anniversary!...or...Happy Birthday! Whichever it was!

leeny: We are a friendly bunch and more than happy to have you hear. Good work on the weight loss so far!

Terri: Sounds to me like you've made up your mind! Really, if you feel like it's home, it probably should be. Oh, I know all about buyer's remorse. There are still times that I wonder why we didn't look longer when we bought our place. But then again, I still feel like I'm living in someone elses house. We are just such procrastinators that after 4 years we still havent' painted all the things we wanted to and I have very few pictures on the walls.

Laelle: My DH and I are doing WW at home. Basically, just counting points. I know I don't get all the veggies in I'm supposed to and if it weren't for calcium suppliments wouldn't get enough of that either. We really didn't cut the simple carbs either, we just cut the fat and calories. Some people can't do it without the meetings. It just depends on you and your support system. I'd probably have a problem if it wasn't for DH.

WW is probably easier if you cook for yourself, but it's certianly doable otherwise. I usually have cereal or oatmeal for breakfast. Sometimes I have an egg and toast. Simple breakfasts. My morning snack is usually a banana or yogurt. No cooking there. I often go home for lunch so my lunches are usually sandwiches or soups or both. We buy lite bread - 2 slices for 1 pt., lowfat lunch meat - 1 or 2 pts per serving, 2% cheese - 1 slice for 1 pt. We buy FF miracle whip - 0 if you use just a smidge. You can get a sandwich for 3 pts. Chicken noodle soup is about 3 pts for the whole can. etc... You can buy light chips and rice cakes and snacks. We usually cook dinners and make enough for lunches the next day, but DH usually is the one who eats that. Dont forget the precooked meals. Both WW and Lean Cuisine have the points right on them. If you eat out a lot, WW has a dining out guide, listing the point values of foods in about 100 restaurants. There's also dwlz.com (Dottie's Weight Loss Zone) She has restaurant guides showing the points to foods at tons of different restaurants.

There's also a lot of food you can cook in large quanities and eat later. For instance, we made spaghetti last night. There are three of us at home, but we made six servings, because that's how many servings of sauce there is in the jar. We ate three and then dished up three into gladware containers. DH took one for lunch today, I'll probably eat one for dinner since I still have left-over soup in the fridge for lunch today. We could just as easily have frozen the three servings and eaten them whenever. (If you freeze them in freezer bags you can just drop the whole bag in boiling water to reheat it or microwave.) You can make meatloaf muffins by the dozen (2 pts each) and freeze them and thaw them as needed. WW has a mexican chicken cassarole recipe that'll keep up to five days in the fridge. The list goes on and on.

I believe that at this moment WW has a deal going with no start-up fee, just pay your $12.00 and go. You might want to go to a few weeks of meetings, to get your feet wet, before you try it on your own.

Regardless of how you get started, getting started is the key! Good luck!

Oh, and the bio's are cut and paste. Just copy someones and then past it in a reply and substitute your answers for theirs!

Oh! And Laelle or anyone new - one more suggestion, if you aren't sick of them from me yet... Something I found really, really helpful in the beginning was just educating myself on how bad my eating habits were! I went to calorieking or dietfacts or one of those sites where you can find the number of calories, etc. in various foods. I discovered some things I didn't think would be too bad were HORRIFYINGLY fattening! For instance, I was quite addicted to Sonic breakfast burritos. Now, I knew they wouldn't be too good for me, but when I found out they are 731 calories and 47 grams of fat - each! (according to dietfacts) and I was eating TWO of them in one meal - I could have died on the spot! That's enough calories in one meal for SEVEN Krispy Kreme donuts and more fat than that! I'd might as well have just stuffed lard in my mouth! Portion sizes were also a big surprize. We started by just keeping the measuring cups on the cupboard. If the cereal box said a serving was 3/4 cup, we measured it into a bowl. We measured out a cup of cooked spaghetti and 1/2 cup sauce. We paid attention to the number of servings per container on the nutrition lables. We weighed our meat and cheese and chips. We bought lite ice-cream and divided up the carton into 1/2 cup servings in reused yogurt containers for portion control. We found we'd been eating easily 2-3 servings of everything! We still weigh and measure and probably always will.

The education was a real eye-opener on how much we used to eat!

Okay, now I really have to go. I have nothing new to report anyway. Check back later!

Last edited by Lilion; 01-30-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:47 AM   #15  

Lilion.... I appreciate your post sooooo much !!!!
Thank you thank you thank you !!!!!
I remember when I used to justify McD's because I needed something FAST.
Then I finally realized that an apple or banana is faster than any fast food restaurant. DUH !!!

Terri ... good luck with the realtor.
Closed Thread