Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 07:55 PM   #1  
Hang In There

Default January Exercise Thread Part #3

I thought I'd just jump right on in and start a new thread. For those of us used to the 30 or so post per thread 80something was driving me nuts!!!

Well the exercise god must be frowning on me this week. I had full intentions to exercise yesterday morning and I woke up feeling terrible, so I didn't get up in time to go exercise. This morning I got up plenty early and got to the club and went to the pool and it was 96 degrees hot in the pool. Almost a s hot as a hot tub. When the instructor got there she realized it was crazy for us to try to have our walking class in that hot a water so she went off to see what we could do about it. We finallly ended up in the big pool but it took about 15 or 20 minutes to get the swimmers to change lanes so we could have the shallow side of the pool. And since I have to leave to get to work, I only actually got 20 minutes of exercise instead of the 40 I had planned.

But If I read right our total so far are 4762 + 30 for Ammi and 20 for me = 4812
Old 01-18-2006, 04:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 300+/275/150

Height: 5'8"

Add 60 mins walking for me, TOM came Monday and I have been feeling pretty awful , but today, though I'm not up to vigorous (sp?) exercise I can manage a walk. GROUP TOTAL 4812+60= 4872
Hope you are all keeping up with your regimes,
xxxsharonxxx
Old 01-18-2006, 05:31 AM   #3  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

Height: 5'6"

Morning all...

Just sitting down to check the weather before work. Steve and I have to go into the city this afternoon so I want to make sure it isnt going to snow too much

Going to add my pool time for last night

Personal total ~ 420+60= 480 minutes

300+ total = 4872+60= 4932 minutes

See you tonight!

Brenda
Old 01-18-2006, 08:38 AM   #4  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I did 20 minutes of walking last night at home. I wasn't feeling so well at the end of the day yesterday (fighting off a cold) and didn't want to bring my germs into a gym. So, I'll try to start with that today. My new total is 400 minutes.

The group total is now 4932 + 20 = 4952
Old 01-18-2006, 09:17 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Just wanted to pop in.

Ammi -- yay for you for joining us! and yay for getting in some exercise!
Barb -- TPTB had asked us not to start more threads, so let's see what happens to this one. I know you have a slower connection, but I learned how we can change some options that might help your pages load faster (though I don't know that for sure).

I wish I had exercise to report, because we are a click away from 5K!!!! Keep up the great work everyone!
Old 01-18-2006, 10:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

I went to the gym last night with my stepson & grandson. Anthony (the 18 y/o) was babysitting Andre (3 y/o) all day long -- when I called home at 2pm, Anthony sounded pretty frazzled -- I know how that feels . Did 50 minutes on the evil stairmill , so I get to push our group total over 5k for the month.

4952 + 50 = 5002! WTG all!
Old 01-18-2006, 11:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Hi,

I see ageoldie added 30 minutes for me, but I am not sure if that was my Monday's 30 minutes or todays. I am assuming though that it was Mondays. I didn't realise we had to do a running total. Now I know though, so I did 30 minutes today -

5002 + 30 = 5032

What a lot of exercise
Old 01-18-2006, 07:11 PM   #8  
Manda

S/C/G: 304.5/165/149

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone. We are all doing so great! Welcome to the exercise thread Ammi!

I did 20 mins of Y!F last night and 45 mins on the bike through out yesterday. I haven't gotten any exercise in today but I will tonight before bedtime!

5032 + 65 = 5097 mins!
Old 01-18-2006, 10:34 PM   #9  
Hang In There

I did another 60 minute water aerobic class today. Who or What is TPTB ?

5097 + 60 =5157
Old 01-18-2006, 11:31 PM   #10  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I did 10 minutes of walking tonight - still not feeling so great. That makes my total 410.

New group total is 5157 + 10 = 5167
Old 01-19-2006, 12:07 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 305/247/<200

Height: 5'9"

I did my strength training and cardio workouts tonight -- 100 minutes more.

Group total: 5167 + 100 = 5267
Old 01-19-2006, 12:13 AM   #12  

Barb - TPTB = the powers that be. in this case, the moderators! Let's see what happens with this thread (stay here or get folded back to thread 2).

Ammi -- Welcome here! I am personally loving the accountability of tracking exercise AND helping the group total too!

elmay, nancy and manda, wtg!

Brenda, you still on a consequtive days streak? I lost track.

We went to the gym tonight and did weight machines and cardio. 47 minutes for me!

Who wants to guess when we'll hit 6K? Sunday? Later? How many minutes will we finish with, any guesses?? I guess 8k!!
300+ exer-group total = 5267 + 47 = 5314 minutes!
Old 01-19-2006, 01:11 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Only did 10 mins today 5314+10=5324
Old 01-19-2006, 01:34 AM   #14  
Michigan Old-Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn
Barb -- TPTB had asked us not to start more threads, so let's see what happens to this one.
Actually, what was said was "Just wondering what the purpose of the January Exercise part 1, part 2 part 3, etc. is? I have no problem with it if there's a reason, but the parts don't coincide with weeks or anything else."

And the answer was "That's a good question and I understand the confusion. I was going to make it all just one thread, but then someone complained that once the threads get really long, it's harder for someone with a dialup connection to load. I didn't get why that is exactly, but saw that this is what seems to happen in the 300+ threads, so I've been making new threads after 3 pages or so (as in these other threads). Though, I still have a lot of learning to do about this, as I created an extra thread this month that was confusing to people. That's something I'll avoid in the future; now we'll have just one thread for future goals and current exercise."

So, no one was asked not to start new threads. The point was just that it gets very crowded in here with a bunch of ongoing threads and there is a large influx of newbies because of the New Year.

BTW, I do try to merge threads of people saying hello and other questions back into the conversation threads so that more people will see them. But, I do PM the person who started the thread to let them know what I've done AND I pretty much only do that when I've caught them early enough that they fit in at the end of the thread I'm putting them in so everyone gets to see them and they aren't lost in the page somewhere.

I hope this clarifies the position and what was done.

Also BTW, the information that I shared about settings is this:
Did you know that you can change the number of posts that you see on a page? I'm not sure what the default setting is because I've had mine changed to 40 for a very long time that way I rarely have stuff run over to a second page. Anyway, if you're interested, you can do this through "User CP" at the top left of your screen. You will get a menu down the left side of "Settings & Options". Choose "Edit Options" and if you scroll down quite a ways you'll see where you can choose how you want posts to be visible to you. There is a choice for how many posts you want to see per page and 40 is the most you can choose.

I am not sure if that loads faster for dial up when you choose the 40 instead of a smaller number where you end up with several pages or not, sorry. I've had a cable modem for years so I'm not sure.

If you'd like to try that suggestion, by all means. It may make a difference for you in how quick your pages load, it may not.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:48 AM   #15  

thanks for the clarification, Thinthinker! I apologize if I misrepresented you and our conversation. I think what I coded was that I would try not to start any more threads because that would be "cleaner", but then that got flipped in my head to the moderator preference being no more threads.

But I guess at the end of it, I'm still left with uncertainty about whether or not we should start new threads within a month. It honestly doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I started all of this exercise stuff, but don't have a burning need to control this kind of thing.

Thinthinker, would it be accurate to say that, all things being equal you prefer fewer threads, but if there's a reason (like people's preference), that it would be okay?

Barb -- I actually think that things might load faster if you choose FEWER posts/page -- each page should have less on it to load. But I'm not sure about that.
Closed Thread