Old 10-05-2005, 06:36 AM   #1  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default 300+ and Ready to Try Again...#766

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:48 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

Rhonda--the problem is, different scales vary. Try to stick to just one scale--it'll be much less frustrating! My TOPS scale is about 3 pounds lower than my home scale, and my gym scale is almost 10 pounds higher than my home scale, so I have to kep that in mind when weighing at different locations. If at all possible, though, it's easiest to only rely on one scale

Andrea--now that I actually come home after my first job (just recently quit my night job), I have a lot of trouble with eating all evening long, from about 3pm-7pm. One thing that helps is that I have purged my house of junk food--if I actually do slip and binge on something, it's going to be pickles, frozen strawberries, Kashi cereal, or 1% chocolate milk (made with lite syrup), so even a binge, while still more than it should be, wouldn't be extremely detreimental to my diet. I also avoid fast food restaurants like the plague--otherwise, it'll be 2 cheeseburgers, a large fry, a large soda, and a milkshake (or Frosty!) for dinner instead of soup or chicken. I guess th ebiggest thing for me is just that if it's not there, I can't eat it, so I had to get rid of a lot of food from my kitchen!

Welcome back, Beth Anne! I know what you mean about finding other people who know what it's like. I have friends who complain about having to lose 10 or 20 pounds, and I just want to roll my eyes and tell them they have NO idea what it means to be fat, ya know! Of course, I don't (normally) do that, but I'm always thinking it!

Ammi--what is thrush? It certainly doesn't sound pleasant

Voodoo--hope the quiet cleaning went well!

As for me, I'm trying to stay awake here at work--had a lot of weird dreams again last night, so I didn't get much in the way of actual restful sleep, ya know? This time was kinda fun, though--I dreamt I was being chased by like the FBI...it was like I was the star in my own action movie Still very stressful to wake up from, though.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 300+/275/150

Height: 5'8"

Yes, been cleaning the kitchen floor today, nice quiet job! and tidying up my spare room for mum & dad. Strangely enough I had the zombie dream again, but Robin Wiliams was in it and he was my hubby! not scared when I woke up though, none of them 'got' me!
Having a rest for a few minutes to get my breath back, in my dreams I never look fat, wishful thinking? I forget that I'm fat, walking fast or rushing round doing housework, then I wonder why I'm out of breath!
I'll find out how fat I am tomorrow, weigh in at sw, I have not stuck to it, eaten little food due to feeling a bit off and ibs acting up and tom overdue, what a wretch I am. I will get back on track and exercise and eat properly, I know that I will feel much better when I do!
Hope you're all doing better than me, and jillyb relax, its stress that's showing up in your vivid dreams, once you're moved and settled you'll be fine. Try to msn me Ammi.

bye for now,
sharon
voodoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:12 AM   #4  

Gosh Jill thanks that was the reason for buying this scale I wanted to stick to jus tone scale it was just depressing to see that there was the difference and looks like I didn't lose the 6lbs according ot my scale so I will just have to start over so to say.

I am doing good on the Byetta drug. I need to add exercise to my day that would help out alot. I just have noticed that my clothes are looser but yet I havne't lost either. And when moving around it's not a struggle like before. Oh well I need not to be hard on myself I guess.
Thanks for all the support ladies.
rcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Hello All,

Well I have surprised myself, pleasently so though, but not in happy circumstances. Hubby and I had a major falling out. In fact we still aren't speaking. Normally by now I will have eaten the contents of the fridge and gone to the shops to buy a bottle of vodka. I'm not an alcoholic, but I am one of those people who in times of trouble like to drink the trouble into oblivion for at least one night. Anyway I haven't comfort ate, or drank, and although I am pretty miserable right now, I have no intentions of giving in to the demon food and drink. So that makes me happy.

Rhonda - when you weighed the first time and saw you lost 6 lbs, was it on the same scales that you weighed on this time to see you had gained it? If it was, were they electronic scales? If they were, did you put them in exactly the same place before you stood on them? I know that sounds funny, but I have electronic scales, and I can put them in 3 different places in my kitchen and get 3 very different readings. So I make sure I put them in the same place and I wear the same clothes, which at midnight is my nighty lol. Anyway, I am sorry that you seem to have gained back the 6 lbs, but you know what? You have been doing the right thing with your diet, getting your mind in the right set to diet and lose the weight, so even if the scales don't show a difference, or a gain, you have still spent time making the lifestyle change. Personally I HATE the scales. A LOT. I have failed many diets because I have had a gain when I shouldn't have. So I only weigh once a month.

Wyllen - that is amazing that you are going to see the Red Sox in a play off. I am excited for you. I see games on the TV sometimes and the atmosphere at those games seems so brilliant. I hope you have a fantastic time, and don't go eating any hot dogs lol.

Beth Anne - wow you have written so many posts, is this the first time you have come to this particular part of the board. It probably isn't, but I am relatively new here, so HI, I'm Ammi, and it's nice to meet you. I can totally understand your fresh motivation at seeing yourself at your highest weight ever. I weighed 7 weeks ago to see myself at my highest weight ever, 329, and it shocked me into doing something about it. So I immediately started dieting, and then I found this wonderful place. It's amazing how helpful it is to be amongst a group of wonderful women who all know exactly how it feels to be this big, and how hard it is to face the long journey downwards to a healthier weight.

Andrea - good for you for not giving in to the munchies when you get them. I have been like that lately, last week was the worst, I was always wanting to nibble on something even though I knew I wasn't hungry. I stay awake really late some times and it's at that time that I find I want to eat the most. Good job I have a load of low fat snacks at hand. Now that I have this cold coming on I am even more tempted to eat. But I am being strong. It's a nice feeling isn't it when you can actually feel hungry before a meal. I remember times when I have stuffed my face so much that I have thought to myself it would be so nice to remember what it feels like to be hungry. LOL.

Shirley - no problem about the conversion, I guess that was a nice surprise to realise you are actually under the 300 lb mark. I look forward to when I see myself under the 300 mark.

Jill - thrush is a horrid thing that affects your womenly bits (down there, lol), one of the worst symptoms is that you itch like crazy. I am going to have to see a doctor about it before it drives me mad.

Well my network is playing up so I am going to get this posted before I lose it all. Take care all, and I'll be back later.

Hugs,

Ammi
AmmiUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:18 PM   #6  

Hi all, newbie here. I was wondering, do any of y'all have any suggestions as to where I can find a scale that will go up high enough for me? I have been weighing on a friend's scale and I am not sure how accurate it is. It only goes up to 280 and then it goes around again. Is that still accurate? When I was pregnant with my second child the Dr.'s scale did not go up high enough for me. So he sent me to the hospital's laundry room and I used their scale. I was beyond humiliated. I have a friend who has a feed store and I could probably use his scale but again, that would be rather humilating. I am on a super tight budget (living on social security) am not sure what to do. I read on a post at a homesteading board I frequent where someone's kids weighted their pigs and steers by using 4 bathroom scales, one for each hoof. So I was thinking I could buy 2 cheap scales from wal mart and stand one foot on each, but would that be accurate? I am going today to fill out scholarship papers at our local YMCA and I will ask if they have a scale, and if so, how high it goes. I thought that perhaps some of you will have had to face this. I appreceate any and all help you can give me.
God bless you and yours
Debbie
Hears The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:48 PM   #7  
Losin It For GOOD!

Hi All, and happy Hump Day! Today is also my hubby's 40th birthday. Man is he old *hehe* I can say that cuz I'm only 28. I've been having fun heckling him.

I made it through last night, even beating my greatest weakness. I was buying some soup, it was on sale at the local drugstore, and right next to it was a glorious can of frosting. I can eat an entire can by myself. BUT, I realized that I did not need the frosting, that if I ate it I would be once again putting off until tomorrow what I could do today, so I walked away. Major MAJOR accomplishment.

Jill - thanks for the welcome. I am still slightly in shock at being over 300 lbs, but hey, we all gotta start (or restart!) somewhere, right? And yes, I agree about the "20 pounders". My WW leader lost 20 lbs on WW. I like her a lot, but its hard to not be like "what the heck do you understand about having 120 (or more!) lbs to lose??"

Ammi- I've been on and off these boards for the last 4 years. Usually if I'm not here, I'm overeating. And... here in the US what you have is a yeast infection. Thrush is what you get in your mouth and throat (yeast infection of the mouth/throat). Either way its NO fun, and usually a side effect of antibiotics. Here's hoping you can find some relief!! And, I'm proud of you for not drinking or overeating during the fight with the hubby - that is VERY hard to do. Kudos to you!

Debbie - I got a scale that goes up to 350 lbs for $20 at walmart.. and it has one decimal point, and remembers your last weight and shows you the change since your last weigh in. Good luck finding a scale!

Thought for the day - or motivation - is this horrible of me? I watched a show that was on monday last night called the Jackie's Story: 627 lb Woman. It was a really good show, but I found myself saying - ok that's my motivation. I do not EVER want to be in that situation. Is it horrible for me to look at someone heavier than me and use that as motivation to lose weight?? I don't know - a dilemma I've struggled with for a long time.

Last edited by BA99TJ; 10-05-2005 at 12:53 PM.
BA99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:00 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA99TJ
I made it through last night, even beating my greatest weakness. I was buying some soup, it was on sale at the local drugstore, and right next to it was a glorious can of frosting. I can eat an entire can by myself. BUT, I realized that I did not need the frosting, that if I ate it I would be once again putting off until tomorrow what I could do today, so I walked away. Major MAJOR accomplishment.
That is AWESOME! I, too, am a recovering frosting addict. Growing up, I lived in a small town (the kind where everyone knows everyone), and my aunt was the "cake lady." She made the cakes for everyone for every occasion. When she babysat me and myyounger cousins, she would give us wax paper taped on cardboard and a bunch of tubes of different colored frosting, and we would make pictures on the wax paper out of frosting. Afterwards, of course, we would scrape the rosting off with our fingers and eat our art Is it any surprise that my aunt now has diabetes? If only I knew what I was doing to myself when I was that young...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA99TJ
Thought for the day - or motivation - is this horrible of me? I watched a show that was on monday last night called the Jackie's Story: 627 lb Woman. It was a really good show, but I found myself saying - ok that's my motivation. I do not EVER want to be in that situation. Is it horrible for me to look at someone heavier than me and use that as motivation to lose weight?? I don't know - a dilemma I've struggled with for a long time.
Personally, I don't think it's wrong at all. I hate being as overweight as I am, but I would love to be an inspiration to others. I sometimes post on other boards with people who weigh far less than me, and I always bring up issues that I face that they probably haven't even thought about in the hopes that seeing all the problems that come with obesity will motivate them to turn their lives around before it gets to that point, ya know? I don't mind people looking at me and thinking, "Gosh, I don't ever want to be that big!" because, hey, I don't want to be this big either
Old 10-05-2005, 02:07 PM   #9  

Ammie-- Good job on not running to comfort food or alcohol....you are so much better than that!! I am glad that you didn't give in.

Debbie-- As far as a scale..I bought my scale off of Amazon.com and it was $30 with free shipping and it goes up to 400 pounds. I thought that was a pretty good deal since they offered free shipping.
AndreaS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:10 PM   #10  

Beth Anne---that show that you are talking about....is that the one with the woman that ended up having gastric bypass? If that is the same one I saw that a few months back. You are right that is motivation in itself because anyone can get that way if they allow themselves to overeat and not exercise. I would never want to be that way. Of course this is why we are all here...to get healthier.
AndreaS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:48 PM   #11  
Losin It For GOOD!

Andrea - yes, that's the one. She thought she had a hernia, but she didn't - and had gastric bypass and then spent like the next 6 months in the hospital.

The scene that really got me was them trying to get her into the van to go for her surgery - she really didn't think she would fit. It was pretty upsetting.

Thanks for the support and agreement regarding motivation - I'm glad to know I'm not alone!!
BA99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:09 PM   #12  

Hello All,

Well I am happy to say that hubby and I have made up. I hate it so much when we argue because normally we are so close. Every arguement no matter how silly it may be always feels like it's going to end in divorce. We just hate fighting so much, and yet we still do it. Silly isn't it Anyway, all is fine again now thank goodness. But at least one good thing came from it, knowing I can get through a rough patch without comfort eating. That's such an achievement YAY

Debbie - Hello and welcome to our little group. I am sorry I can't help you with your quest for a good set of scales. I am in the UK so any advice I give would be useless. I see some of the other ladies have come up with some answers though. I hope you can get a set. I know what it's like to live on benefits. I have been ill and unable to work, so my hubby is my carer and we and our two teenage girls are living on my sickness benefits. It's not easy especially when it comes to buying food. It seems all the stuff that is good for you is more expensive than cheap processed unhealthy food. Oh well these things are sent to try us. One good thing will be when we are slimmer we won't have to buy bigger clothes which normally cost most than the smaller sizes.

Beth Anne - thanks for letting me know what Thrush is known as over there. I am on long term antibiotics for acne, so I don't know what's worse having the acne and no thrush, or having thrush and no acne. I will see the doctor on Friday and see if she can suggest anything to help me out.

Well done on not giving in and buying the icing. From what you and Jill have said it sounds like something I would love to have tried lol. I made some icing for cup cakes yesterday, it looked tempting, but I didn't even lick the spoon. So that's both of us beating the icing demon

A belated happy birthday to your 'old' man lol. My hubby will be 40 before me, but only 8 months so I won't be able to tease him too much.

I also feel like you when it comes to seeing people that are bigger than me, not that it happens often lol. But I do look at them and think no, I can't let myself get that big. I also love to hear stories of people who are so large who get to lose weight and start enjoy life again. It's very inspirational because I think to myself if they can do it, then so can I!

Andrea - thanks for your kind words about me not giving in to the comfort eating. I really do feel like I am in control now and if a fight with hubby won't get me to turn to food, maybe I have finally learned that comfort eating is only cold comfort. I have said it often, but now I think I actually believe it lol.

Sharon - I just sent you an email. Sorry we had problems with MSN earlier.

Sharon 2- I am still keeping an eye open for you on Yahoo. Hope we get to chat soon.

Ok I better make a move, I hope everybody is doing well, and thank you again for being here for me.

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 10-06-2005, 01:35 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Ammi -- Congrats again on not turning to comfort food during the fight! Both my hubby and I hate it when we fight, yet we do too.

I went to my ballgame, and the atmosphere was electric, except that everybody rooted for the other team (who won). Oh well. I DID have a hotdog, but had planned ahead of time that I could, so that was okay. However, I found I didn't really enjoy it as much as I thought I would.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:03 AM   #14  
N.G.U.N.S.

Default Hello...again

Well hello everyone. I'm back...yet again. Not going into too many details but I lost a little weight (about 20 lbs) and gained it all back.

Not only that I've got symptoms of both diabetes and manic depression. My health insurance with my job just kicked in so now all I have to do is find a doctor and get a much needed checkup. My overwhelming motivation is that I absolutely, positively do not want to be on medication. So the weight has to come off. Period.

Anyway, I'm glad to see some successes since the last time I was here. Just a question so I don't feel so bad being back at square one. How many times did you start over before you finally stuck with the journey?

Thanks for any replies.
Sword&Canteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:47 AM   #15  

Hello All,

It's Thursday afternoon and I am already at a loss about what I am going to make for tea tonight. The problem is if I cook a nice low fat meal I like to make it last for 2 days, but then I feel guilty for not sharing with the family. I know I should share, so maybe I should make double the amount and still keep some for tomorrow. Now why didn't I think of that before. LOL.

I still feel like I have a cold coming on, my main symptoms are a sore throat and sneezing a lot. I just wish the thing would come so it can go

Wyllen - isn't it funny how we can really be looking forward to eating something naughty, only to realise it isn't as nice as we anticipated. Sorry your team lost, that's bad news, but only eating the one hot dog and then not bothering with anything else like popcorn etc was great. Well done you

Bye for now,

Hugs,

Ammi