Old 07-26-2005, 11:03 AM   #1  

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again #744

WELCOME !!!
We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:28 AM   #2  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

I hope everyone is having a most wonderful day! I'm feeling extra good today, because I'm wearing back-of-the-closet "new" dress that didn't fit this good when I bought it - several YEARS ago! Nothing like starting the day feel'n skinny!

I'm going to need my willpower, as I'm taking a friend out for chinese for her birthday today! I'll do my best to make the right choices, but it's not easy. I also will be going to Outback Steakhouse this weekend. Going to have to starve to make up for that one!

DH and I are now going to the Y. We got trained on the weight machines Friday and went again on Sunday. Now to just keep it up! I've measured my whole body - we'll see how long it takes to show any differences I guess.

Biggirl: A new house is so exciting. My best friend is moving this weekend into a wonderful old house - right next door to the one she lives in now! But it's much larger and has such character, with hardwood floors and a wonderful winding staircase and a big fireplace and an incredible dining room! Can you tell I'm envious? I like my house, but I always wanted to live in an older home, one with lots of unique charm. Instead I bought your basic 70's split-foyer. Maybe when the kid is grown we'll buy a little fixer-upper.

Jilly: I love pampered chef and I know a couple of ladies who make some decent part-time income from it. A friend of mine used to do party lites, but quit. I'll have to ask her why? Both companies have such wonderful stuff, I'd probably spend more than I earned!

Lynette: Send that rain to Missouri!!! The drought here is about as bad as I've ever seen it! On the up side, I don't have to mow the yard!

Well Ladies, I have people waiting for justice! Time to go! Onward and Downward!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 03:37 PM   #3  
Michigan Old-Timer

I just wanted to stick a quick commercial in here. There were a couple of gals that wanted wanted to do a Dr. Phil Book Study. We have gotten so many new folks since last year when it was done last that a NEW Book Study has been started. I just thought I would mention it here in case you happened to miss the thread. The study has just started this week so you will be getting in on the ground floor if this is something that interests you.
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:46 PM   #4  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Hello folks,
I've been gone for a while and even when I've been back to read posts I haven't been posting, so I wanted to check in. I'm sorry I can't possibly keep up with it all, especially since it's such a great group. I may be mostly a lurker, but I'm laughing, crying and cheering along with you when you don't even know I'm there.

Bravo to those of you who have been doing so well, and BRAVO to those of you who keep working on it even when progress is sssllllooooowwww and the rewards aren't real obvious.

I started my own journey back in May at 331, size 26, with blood pressure of 160-170 over 114. I've been walking (not always easy since I drive a truck for a living and it's usually moving) and trying to stay away from my personal nemesis (bread and others self-adhesive carbs.) I haven't been quite able to break the "00" yet, but at the doctor's yesterday my BP was down to 130/90. I was so happy about it that I even dared to try on some size 24's that were no where near closing last time I tried - and they fit! I have such a long way to go, of course, but at least I finally feel like I'm in control.

Best wishes to you all! In between miles on the road I'll try to keep up. A MAJOR source for my success is the constant inspiration I get from people I've met on the 'net who are going thru the same thing and finding ways to beat their own demons, or at least having the courage to fight!!!
NoLifeWithoutHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:00 PM   #5  
Because I deserve it!

S/C/G: 315.4/311/165

Height: 5'11"

Hi everyone. Well, much like alot of you I've been doing alot of lurking and not much posting. I guess I didn't have that much to report. It's been a busy time at work so mostly it's been all work and no play for me. I've gained 0.8 since my last weigh in. That's OK, I am getting a little more consistent with the exercise. Still working on controlling the eating a little better. I keep trying to go back to counting WW points but I really seem to rebel against that. I just think I have reached my lifetime limit of "dieting". I guess I just need to move more toward reasonable and healthful eating, trusting that by making those changes the weight loss will logically follow. But the anal side of me feels like that could not possibly ever work. So I feel stuck between two sides of my personality....the anal side that wants to weigh and measure and track and journal....and the rebellious side who is having none of that!!!

But mostly I guess I am trying to go at it one day at a time. I am bad at looking at the long road ahead and getting discouraged. Today I think was a victory in that I packed my lunch, including snacks, and took it to work. And I actually ate what I brought rather than grazing my way through the vending machines and running out for fast food at lunch. I did break down and have a piece of chocolate cake in the afternoon. I am trying not to beat myself up because one piece of chocolate cake is a vast improvement over several candy bars, nuts, etc, which is what I have done in the past. Tonight I actually fixed myself a healthful dinner (salmon and veggies) rather than grazing on more crap when I got home. So all in all, chocolate cake or no, not a bad day. In fact a pretty darned good day, relatively speaking.

netekay - Welcome to the board. I noticed on your bio you are in Ames, IA. I am originally from IA (live in TX now) and I graduated from ISU in 1992. I haven't been on campus in years. I had fun while I was there. How long have you worked there?

Take care everyone. Congrats to all the losers and keep hangin' in to those who are struggling.
Xena2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 12:25 AM   #6  
Shadiepurple

Talking

Greetings ladies !! I'm so glad not every one has moved on to smaller barn yards . I don't post all the time but I do read 2 or 3 times a day . Gee, hasn't been many supporters here lately. Please let me say thank you so very much to all of you for taking the extra time to pop in and "PUMP ME UP"..tee hee.

I gained 4 lbs this week. I was so shocked!! I've done everything the same except its been really hot, and I took a long (14 hour) day trip on Saturday. I have been doing my water arobics and drinking extra water due to the heat. I'm hoping it's water retention and maybe some new muscals. I was so close. I only had 1 more pound to hit -50 then the dumb thing goes up 4 pounds . It was super hard not to scream and eat cookies . But I got through the moment and didn't blow it . I keep you in my mind Cathrine . I pray for some of the stregth you have. I hold on for the moments to pass that put distance between me and disappointment. I think "what would Cathrine's advice be ??? " And I feel your wisdom all the way here in Oregon. Thank you . Because of all your sharing I have faith that I'm not so far gone that I can't redeem myself. Lord help us all.

Dogpal: miss ya . Think about you every single day . I imagine you having the same struggles with your self as I do . And when I gather my strength, I wish some in your direction. Hope you can feel it sometimes.

Dear new comers, PLEASE stay long enough to know for sure if this great group can help you too. We all have similar struggles and doubts about our stregth , but you can share here and know we DO understand. Good luck, will power, and happiness to us all.
shadiepurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:14 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Gooooood morning, ladies!

A refreshing heat index of about 110 degrees for today--when will the heat wave end?! Actually, it's only supposed to be in the 80a tomorrow (only?!!), so it should feel much better.

Worked a LOT at the restaurant last night--it was actually busy! I think it's been so hot that people just don't want to cook at home, which makes sense. I get more money, though, so it's all good. On a normal Monday or Tuesday lately, I would make between $30-$40 a night, but on Monday this week, I made $52, and last night I made $60 Much better! However, I got home much later (around 11L15pm) and was so sweaty I HAD to take a shower before going to bed--couldn't wait till morning on that one. So, I didn't get to bed till about midnight, so when that alarm went off at 4:30 this morning...

Besides getting home late and being tired, my feet were KILLING me. they still hurt a little this morning, and I have to work again tonight.

Doing PartyLite is sounding better and better the more I think about it...
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:03 AM   #8  
Inch by Inch, Its a Cinch

Default Good morning!

Hey everyone!

Lilion: did you get the rain I sent?

Xena: I have been at ISU since 1995; first as a master's student in medieval history and now as an employee. My husband is working on his PhD in physics and also works here.

Just wanted to pop in and say hi and see how everyone was doing on this fine Wednesday morning! For the second day in a row, it is liveable outside and we have had two good days of rain. The farmers will be happy about that!

Not much else to report; still OP, menus are planned for the week, groceries are purchased and I am still going strong!

Gotta get back to work! Take care everyone!

Last edited by netekay; 07-27-2005 at 10:20 AM.
netekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:22 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the New people and to the ones coming back, welcome back.

Lilion: Yea to you on getting into a smaller outfit from the back. What a great feeling. I too did that the other day. I have a few brand new shirts that I ordered from Lane Bryant and when I got them they were snug, snug, snug on my belly area. The other day I put one of them on just to see and ta... da... it went straight down in front. It wasn't tight at all on my belly as a matter of fact it was rather loose over the belly area. My hubby noticed right away without me drawing attention to it. It was a wonderful feeling.

Shadie my girl: So good to see you post. Sorry about the gain but, I'm sure it is water retention . You are doing so well. I have been doing pretty good too. I don't weigh every week anymore. I weigh about ever other week or so. I will be weighing this coming Monday. That is also my time of the month to measure. I know things are changing. I have had to sew all of my tanks with bras in them up again. Some of them I can't get small enough without them looking horrible so I guess I won't ever be able to wear them but I'd rather give up wearing a brand new shirt then keep the fat that filled it out ya know.

Jilliebean:
I think you will do smashing on the Partylite. Good luck to you with that.

Netkay: Great job staying op. Keep up the great work.

Catherine: I am so happy for you. This is about all I can say.

I am home from school today and I am going to be "Babysitting" my dad. My mom will drop him off around 11 ish so she can have some time away and do some shopping. He is doing well for all of you who are wondering. He got his stapples out of his incision last week and He is soooooo bored. Poor guy says his fanny hurts. He isn't used to sitting he is so active on his ranch so this has been a big change for him. I will try to entertain him today. I'm going to go swim now before he comes.

Blessings,
Dogpal
dogpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 11:21 AM   #10  

Smile

Good Morning Ladies!

What a lovely day it is in Mid-MO! The sun is shining and we aren't melting! Yes, Lynette, we got the rain! Not much, but enough to cool it off a bit. Thanks!

Wasn't OP yesterday. Chinese was okay, although I shudder to think how many calories are probably in one crab rangoon! (Deep fried cream cheese - yum!) But at least I only had one and ordered chicken and broccoli for the entree. Dinner was a salad, that could have been fine, if not for the four slices of garlic bread that went with it! Ah well, back on track today!

Shadie: Don't worry too much about that 4 lbs. This weather will cause you to retain water, even if you are doing everything right. I bet it'll come right back off.

Got to rush. I get the feeling Big Brother has been watching how much time I spend on the office internet. Have a happy, healthy OP day!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:34 PM   #11  
Shadiepurple

Wink

HELP!!!! Where in the world is the extra energy I'm suposed to get from exercising???? I can't find it any where. I get home from swimming and have some coffee, then I want a nap . WHATS THAT ABOUT??? I expected it at first but its taking too long to get the extra stuff. Oh well. On word and down word I hope .

Dogpal of mine, WOW I didn't realize how much you've lost . Your always so great about cheering me on...LOOK AT YOU GIRL! keep it going. I'm so happy for you .

Lillion: Thank you for the support. I hope the water leaves me soon . I'm so inspired by your getting to enjoy those "new" clothes of yours . I recently got rid of most of my "some day" clothes. I decided that by the time they fit, I would be wanting new stuff any way. But I'm wondering if I acted so quickly . Oh well. Keep up the great work and don't let that garlic bread haunt your success.

Jillybean: My best friend sells party lite. I love it . I know you'll do well with it. She keeps her full time job and does parties on the side. You do get alot of side orders because we burn up the product . Thats a good thing . I saw you got advice to have a wide variety of people help you start off your parties. I know thats true. You can party your friends to death. Reach and spread out and you'll go awesome . Much riches to you lady .

To everyone, enjoy your day, give a smile away and remember why you have a plan to stay on!!!!
shadiepurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 04:11 PM   #12  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Cool

Hello all. I'm still fairly new to the site, and looking around decided to post to the "2005 resolutions". I'm way late, but I didn't figure a nice bunch like you were fining or flogging folks for that It seems that with a project this size, it's a good thing to recommit myself whenever I can, and defining it is very good.

Xena2005 - You're right about the "one day at a time", and it sounds like you did really good dealling with a big disappointment. Don't let that little bit of weight get you down though. I think water weight fluctuates so much that it's a real mind-bender. Last week I weighed in at 303 one morning. I went a good distance on my treadmill, was very active the rest of the day, and kept my cals around 1000... and I went up a pound the next morning. I KNOW I burned more cals than I took in so it WILL show up as a loss eventually, but I know exactly how you must feel.

Shadiepurple - Hang in there! I've seen it go 4 pounds up or down a bunch of times. You've already lost so much that you're a great inspiration to me! 47 pounds is awesome!!!

Lynette - Great that you mentioned planning menus and shopping ahead. That's an absolute key for me and something I better get done tonight.

Dogpal - a HUGE congrats on those shirts getting loose! That has to feel GREAT! It's just the Best when somebody notices something like that, too! ... I hope your dad is feeling better. I'm not up to speed on his surgery, but it's never any fun. I wish him better health!!!

Lilion - Wow! 54 pounds gone - another inspiration! I'm glad you got rain - we did here in N.E. Ohio - much needed!

Today? Exercise: Yeah, treadmill. Eating: pretty good on overall cals, too high on the carbs. Last night I was cruising the kitchen, then hubby said HE was hungry - so we ended up snacking on bowls of green beans with a slice of cheese melted on top. Much to my surprise, it tasted so good! (And I'd thought I wanted something sweet! )
NoLifeWithoutHorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:11 PM   #13  
Believe

Height: 5"7

Hi ladies, hope everyone is stay nice and cool, this heat is killing me Although i havent posted, i have kept up with the postings, congratulations to all the losers! I had a real cool moment today, i tried on a regular (not stretch, lol) pair of shorts in a size 14, and they fit! that was a real shocker, but made my day
Catherine, i am so happy for you about your new male friend. I must have missed a posting that said he was coming to see you, i am so glad the two of you hit it off
Jillybeans: your schedule sounds worse than mine, lol. i think the partylite idea sounds good, you really have nothing to lose by trying!
To everyone else, take care and keep cool, and thanks for being a great group of ladies to "talk" with
futurediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:10 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 366/359/175

Height: 5'8"

Hopping back on the wagon....

A couple of weeks of illness threw me off the wagon but I finally have some medication and it seems to be kicking in finally. Today I rejoin the struggle!

I have gotten some good news however! 6 months ago I was diagnosed with dangerously high blood pressure. They wanted to put me on blood pressure pills...said I was at risk for a stroke. I wasn't going to take those pills though. I'm only 27! The possible side effects were weird too. I have bad luck with meds and side effects. I weighed the risks and decided I was going to get my blood pressure down on my own.

Well, I've done it! Last week I had my first normal blood pressure reading in over a year! I'm not even "high-normal". I'm just NORMAL! I had them check 2x just to make sure. It was awesome!

3 cheers for reduced stress and healthier eating!
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:56 AM   #15  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

Just a quickie...not much to say.

Solus: Welcome back and on getting the BP down! As a woman on TWO BP meds, (3 until last week) who's been on them nearly 10 years - I commend you! You keep on that diet and exercise and I hope you never have to take meds at all!

Well, didn't get to the Y last night. Since it was DH's birthday we did whatever he wanted to do, and apparently exercise wasn't high on the list. We ate Lean Cuisine and rented some movies. I made him a (mostly) Sugar-free, Fat-free chocolate pie instead of cake. We probably went over a tiny bit on points since he was determined to try the Taco Bell crunch wrap we've been seeing on TV - we split one and it was delish! - but not worth the fat we probably absorbed. Back OP today....for real this time!

Must run! Onward and Downward Ladies!