Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 09:35 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 340/240/155

Height: 5'3"

Talking I'm old

Hey Ladies
I turned 40 this past April and am proud of it because I won't be so shy about being saying I'm in peri-menopose. Hey, just kidding, but since all my neices and nephews are having kids and in our native way I am a grandma, so aging is not so bad.
No as for the weight thing thats different, I sure hate being one of the BIG grandmas as most of my sisters and I are not less than 200 lbs. But I have noticed that since I've turned 40 that I don't lose like I used to. I mean I could walk for 20 minutes for at least four weeks and lose maybe 6 or more pounds and now I can't lose 1 pound. Ok maybe my job has something to do with it too. Just little over two years ago I used to work in the restaurant where my movement was constant and now all I do is sit for hours at a time. Also since it's so hot here in Arizona, I just don't want to go outside.
Ok I know I need to get off my BIG butt and move cause no one here at home is gonna help me. Since I missed two out of three days this week I guess I'll start tomorrow? Ok maybe tonight
Hey ladies it's good to hear from you and I hope all goes well for you this week. I'll try and stop by before the weekend to chat with ya'll again.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:16 AM   #17  

Smile

Good Morning "old" Ladies!

Well, looks like Joe Anne has me beat for being the youngest old hen! Since I'm 41 there's probably a whole lot of chicks younger than me...but it was a nice thought. Seriously, I don't mind my age at all. I just tend to forget about it entirely until something reminds me. My 40th birthday was the best I ever had. DH took me to the lake, bought me a wonderful dinner, and I got a tattoo...Yes, a real one! I always said I wanted one and everyone always told me I wasn't "the type" to get one. So it was my "I may get older but I'll never get old" statement. Really, I don't feel 41, just like I didn't feel 328 lbs. It's that faulty, but positive, self-image.

Last night was - busy. Work was just the LONGEST day ever. It just drug by. But then I got home, got changed, ran out with DH to get my hair cut and get some dinner (DS is at a friends) and before we got to dinner we got a call from a friend who's freezer had gone out. So we grabbed all the coolers we could find and ran over there since we have a big freezer too. Boy do those people have a lot of food! My freezer is groaning!

Anyway, we ended up at a local pizza place that stays open late for dinner. I'm no longer looking forward to WI on Friday. This has been a weird food week. I have been good, most of the time, but nearly every day I've had some odd meal or snack that I shouldn't have had. Guess we'll see.

I know I've been incredibly lucky with the weight loss. It's come off rather easily, especially for being over 40. I keep waiting for the inevitable plateau. I do know that I'm getting to a weight that I've been at before when it stayed stable for a while. Exercise continues to elude me. I've been so busy since June that I still haven't gotten back on track. Maybe DH and I will make it to the Y tonight.

Terri: I had missed your posts. You always take the time to answer everyone. I envy that. I miss folks most of the time. You've done great for being off the program for so long. Welcome back to WW!

Thin: I don't usually read romances, but that sounds like a fun book! I'd love to borrow it, but you'll have to be patient with me getting it back to you. Other than Harry Potter, I don't get books read that quickly.

Leanne: I'm so sorry for the loss of your kitty, but still glad to see you again. ((hugs)) Losing a pet can be like losing a member of the family. Being a single mom is the hardest job in the world! How old are your kids? I was single from the time my son was 10 months old until he was 5 and that alone was exhausting. Don't know how well I'd have held up with older kids. The responsibility may not lessen until the kids are grown, but the anger and pain will, I'm sure. And there are plenty of joys to go along. Hang in there. If you ever need an ear, here I am!

Mmarie and Pat: Welcome aboard! You'll both find lots of good advice here. Maybe not from me, but I at least give support!

Judy, Catherine, Ruth, DoxieMom: I'm glad you all qualify for Old Hens too! I'm in good company.

And I've managed to at least mention everyone who's posted. My job here is done! And I must get to work. Onward and Downward Ladies!
Old 07-20-2005, 01:12 PM   #18  
You and Me in 2003

Just dropping by. Not much news here only that my husband lost his job. Son and new wife are doing ok. Brother is in jail for a year. Weight is up to 200
Old 07-20-2005, 04:27 PM   #19  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi all!

Well, girls, life just keeps getting better.

I've been on Glucophage for over a year (since turning the dreaded 5 0 ). The Dr. basically said she thought I was Insulin Resistant. Yeah! Anyway, at first she never suggested anything but "if you'd lose a little weight and do some excercise......yada yada" You get the picture. Finally, in March I told her that maybe I would take her up on her offer to see a Nutritionist. You know, see what this "pre" diabetic condition is all about.

Well, procrastinator that I am, I waited until today to call for information. The woman that I talked to was nice enough to give me some info on the program and told me that the diabetic education classes are 13 hours and cost $400. She said most insurances pay for it but that I should check so that I'm not disappointed when they don't.

After a phone call to my LOVELY insurance company, they do cover it, but only if it's with an approved provider (which they couldn't tell me if this hospital is "approved" because they're in PA, not MI "so here's a number you can call). And, oh BTW, "you have a $300 deductible so that will come off the top and then you pay 10% of the balance". That means $310 out of pocket.

Guess who's NOT doing this. I guess I'll be doing some research on the web about Glocemic Index and how carbs fit in, etc. on my own. I can do alot of web searching on my own for $300!!!

Terri: It sounds like some of those good habits you picked up while doing WW have stuck with you. Four pounds in all these months is not bad. And what's better is that you decided to put a STOP to even the small gains and get back with the program. *Thanks for the "wonderful" comment. I have felt totally out of it for the last few months and it feels good to be back.

JoeAnne: I'll bet your new sedetary job IS the cause of some of your weightloss efforts being slower these days. That has always been one of my fears about starting any exercise program, the thought the I wouldn't stick to it and therefore gain everything back. That, and the thought that my body would get accustomed to a certain level of excercise and that I would have to keep upping the level. I'm sure that's "stinkin' thinkin'" but that's how my mind has always worked.

Lilion: "Good Morning 'old' Ladies"??? Geez, you really know how to hurt a gal! Just because you're not the youngest "old" lady here, doesn't mean you have to get nasty. * PM me your address and I'll send that book right out. I think you'll enjoy it. It's actually a pretty quick read.

Mary: I can't believe after being off the site for several months that the best you can do is five sentences, short ones at that! What have you been up to for the Summer? Are you still busy at the library? I imagine you have a bunch of Summer programs going for the kids. Libraries are usually pretty busy in the Summer while the kids are out of school. When did your brother end up in jail? How much longer is he away for? What happened to his baby? Do you like the new DIL? Do they live near you? What's Peter doing now that he's not working? Are there opportunities nearby for him to find work? * Ok, that should give you enough questions to get a decent post from you.

Well, girls, I did a couple of jobs today that I need to get the paperwork done on. I'd like to get back to climbing in bed by midnight again. I felt a whole lot better when I was doing that. I actually took tomorrow off....NO jobs! woohoo! I think I'll polish my grocery list and go get some healthy stuff in.

I have quite a collection of quotes that I have collected over the years. They are all written in journals. I haven't posted them in a very long time, but I think I will start again, if there are no objections.

"Coming to an impasse, change.
Having changed, you will get through." - Iching (delia)

See you all later. Love ya bunches!
Old 07-20-2005, 05:31 PM   #20  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Hi Gang,

Want to hear my "excuse" for slipping back into "Eat Myself Fat(ter) Mode"?

Heat and Humidity.

It's a pretty lame excuse but it worked for me. Darn it, if I wanted to swelter for weeks on end I sure wouldn't be living in the Snow Capital of the Northeastern, U.S. At least last night I did some stretches. Boy were my legs tight! Really felt it this AM. I'm going to try to do a bit more each night.

The pointer puppy is all grown up physically( Mentally she has a longggg way to go.) and has a couple points towards her AKC championship. A friend is training her in Agility and I'm trying to convince her that competitive obedience is a "team" sport. I'm the one who talks .... She's the one who listens.

I've been exploring the possibility of retirement but my hobbies are darn expensive so I'll probably be working for a few more years.

I'm glad to see so many familiar faces here and I'll try to get my act together and be here often.

My sig. is wrong and when I get up the nerve I'll hit the scale and bring it up to weight.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:14 PM   #21  
Hang In There

Don't have time to read. Just wanted to update everyone and ask those who pray to pray for me and my family. My mom passed out at work Saturday morning and I had to go get her and drive her home. She said she was just over tired and the AC wasn't working really good so I wasn't to terribly concerned. Then Sunday morning at church I could tell she still wasn't feeling well, and I overheard her tell someone else that she had fallen Sat morning getting dressed and that her left side hurt. I tried to get her to let me take her to the ER Sunday night but she convinced me that she felt better and she would call her doc Monday and make an appointment. Monday afternoon my sis went by to take her to the drug store and she call me and said that she couldn't even walk without my sister holding her up and that she said she had fallen several time at home that day. I told my sis we were taking her to the ER no matter what she said. Well we were in the ER all night and when she couldn't do anything with her left side they took a cat scan of her head and found she has several tumors in her brain. So then the took a all body MRI and have found out she had tumors in her right kidney, her lungs and several on her throid besides the ones in her brain. Today they did a bronochiscopy (sp) to biopsy some of the tumors in the lungs so they would know what we were dealing with , but they were not conclusive so we have to wait about 2 days for the path reports. Then if they are not conclusive they will have to do more invasive surgery and probally remove lymph nodes or the throid or kidney or something to see what exactly it is. They have left little doubt that it is some type of cancer, but they need to know what kind so they will know what kind, if any treatment options are available for her. So I have just come home to shower and get new clothes and am going back to stay with her tonight, so I can still go to work tomorrow. So keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

Barbg
Old 07-20-2005, 08:05 PM   #22  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Barb,

Your Mom is in my prayers.

Take care of yourself too.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:46 PM   #23  
Leanne

{{{{ Hugs }}}} Barb
I will be praying for your mum and also for you and the rest of your family.

Leanne
Old 07-20-2005, 08:55 PM   #24  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Barb, my prayers are with you and your family. I'm so sorry.
Marie
Old 07-20-2005, 10:07 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Barb,

I'm glad you stopped by to let us know what is happening. I will include your mom and you in my prayers. Take care!
Old 07-20-2005, 10:40 PM   #26  
Michigan Old-Timer

Oh Barb, I'm so sorry about what you're going through with your mom. [[[hugs]]] This on top of everything else and you've REALLY got your hands full. I'll be praying that there is a good prognosis. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:29 AM   #27  
Leanne

Hi to all the 'old chicks' - feels so rude to be saying that!

Today was a better day than yesterday although I had a really bad pang when I woke up, reliving yesterday morning when my daughter woke me with the news. The kids are better today, but we all miss Sweetypie badly.

Judy, maybe use the heat and humidity as an excuse to drink LOTS of water?

Thin, don't you just love insurance companies?? I am really lucky to have a hospital (public-health) dietician to see which doesn't cost me anything, but in the past I've been through the same run-around. There is a ton of information out there on the net about low-GI/diabetic-friendly eating and how to manage pre-diabetes .... (a friend of mine is diabetic) so I hope you find the information you are looking for quickly.

Lilion my kids are twin girls that turned 17 in June, a 15 year old girl, and a boy that turned 11 a week or so ago. It's not any easier or harder when they are younger/older but there are a whole different set of challenges. We have been a single-parent family for the last 7 years, so I have never had a little baby by myself - that would be really hard I imagine! By the way, good going on the steady weightloss - you never know, you might keep going and never have to deal with a plateau - I'm sure that there are some of those lucky people out there!

I know I haven't answered everyone, but the kids are hassling me to take them grocery shopping (we have the normal empty-day-before-shopping-fridge) so I better go.

Leanne
Old 07-21-2005, 07:54 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning ladies,

I survived my first day back on WW. I was a good WW'er and journalled everything. But I was starved all day. And yes I was eating. But it seems to be that way for the first couple of days and then my body adjusts by the third. It usually takes me a couple of days to get my points down.

I finally got to the grocery store yesterday. Seems like ages since I shopped properly. We are so craving veggies, fruit and lean meats. Funny how after a period of time eating out or making less than great choices, we're craving the healthy stuff. I got a recipe at WW the other night for confetti turkey rollups that I want to make for lunches. Now, if I haven't lost it already, I'll post it. Basically it was cream cheese, dijon mustard, turkey, spinach leaves, carrots, red pepper and zucchini. Sounds so yummy! I even have stuff so I can have my own breakfast and lunch without having to go to the cafeteria which is temptation city.

Heat advisory again today. I won't be doing much outside. I hope the dog bones arrive today so i can distract Bear from thinking he has to walk tonight. We've been walking at 10 pm but we're still both wiped out from the humidity.

I am so thrilled to see old friends coming back. Including myself!!

Make today a changing day! Make it an OP day!
Old 07-21-2005, 08:25 AM   #29  

Smile

Good morning Hen pals, I just can't bring myself to say "old" hens. We need a better title!

I Made it through two whole days on program! I was pretty desperate to get back on track with my eating, it seemed as if I could not find a starting place anymore. I just wanted to eat and eat, and, well you get the picture.

Terri, I searched high and low for my old weight watcher info but only found some really old material. I think my youngest daughter walked off with my points material. Actually the old plans are not so bad, I lost a lot of weight on the older version. Anyhoo, I am trying to stick with the program, and I am hungry too!. I sure hope the hunger goes away after a few days.

Barb, I will keep all of you in my prayers.

Leanne, I know how sorrowful it can be to lose a pet. I had dogs, but their passing was very hard for me. We love our pets, to us they are family. I still think of mine from time to time. It gets better in time, as all losses do.

Gotta run now, just wanted to say hello to everyone. Iwillbe
Old 07-21-2005, 10:17 AM   #30  

Talking

Good Morning (young?) Ladies!

Well, Thin didn't like "old" ladies!

I EXERCISED LAST NIGHT! Yeah, I know, most of you exercise every night...but it's a rare occurance for me! DH and I went to they Y - after all, we've been paying for it for months, 'bout time we started using it - and played "racketball". (Any resemblence to actual racketball players, either living or dead is strictly coincidental.) And we made an appointment to be trained on the weights and weight machines on Friday night. I've just got to start working out. I've just got to start firming up! You know, big as I have been, I've never had an "apron" before...I have one now! If I don't tone up some I'm gonna just be a big old bag 'o skin-yuck!

BarbG: I am so very sorry to hear about your mother. I'll keep her - and you - in my thoughts.

I Will Be: If you don't want to actually join WW, you can get the starter stuff on E-bay reasonably priced. A very nice lady here sent her duplicate stuff to me, maybe someone here has duplicate stuff again?

Terri and I Will Be: You'll get past that hungry stuff fast. My DH and I got past the first week or so by fixing very low point foods and eating lots. Stirfry chicken and veggies was the best. Add some rice and chow down. Actually, that sounds pretty good. Wonder if we have enough stuff to do that for dinner tonight.

Leanne: Yep. A baby was rough alone. But at least I only had one. My 10 yr old DS best friend is a 15 yr old girl that we've known since they were 7 and 2. Her mom is my best friend and she spends lots of time with us. I'm pretty sure that three teenage girls would be worse than one baby - all those hormones at once! (shudder) They can sure be a handfull.

Thin: I'm sure you can find tons of info on-line about pre-diabetic conditions and at the library too. I'll send you my address. Thanks!

Well Ladies, back to work for me. Have a happy, healthy OP day!!!
Closed Thread