Old 05-25-2005, 07:41 PM   #16  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Ran into someone at the Y today that I hadn't seen in over a year. People never really say things to my face about my weight loss. I have always tried to maintain a quiet, dignified face even when I was the size of a volvo. Well he waited until I had gone into the locker room, and grabbed my roommate (who is shorter than I am and now has trouble keeping up with me when I am going at full stride), and asked how much I had lost. He was in shock. I told her that at least he and his wife would have something interesting to talk about over the dinner table. It is interesting to be the subject of gossip for something good for a change.

Wishing is hard for me. I have always been afraid to wish for something. I have either been afraid that I didn't really deserve to get what I have been wishing for, or that I'd wish for something out of my reach, and be crushed when it didn't happen. It is different to be able to wish for things simpler and more attainable. My last big wish was to be able to buy underwear off the shelf at Walmart. Man did that feel good. I guess my next mini-wish is to be able to ride a bicycle again and be able weigh on the scales at my doctor's office. Both can happen when I lose my next 20 pounds. I'm also thinking of going to a real beauty parlor. My mother was a beautician. I have a lot of raw issues with her and my hair. I didn't go to another beautician until I was 26 or so. Of course I eventually got too big for the chair and started cutting my own hair. I may be ready to pay for a hair cut again. I remember when I had big pie-in-the-sky goals. Just wanting to get a hair cut like a normal person is such a small goal, but it will feel like a homerun. I'm also thinking about having a current photo taken. How scary is that? Maybe if I saw a picture of myself to compare to my "before" picture, I'd really start to understand why people are so shocked when they see me.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 07:57 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Goodevening all,

To Angela and Mertz: I have been over weight for 19 years pretty much to the day. After trying every single diet in the world that I could afford and some that I couldn't but I did anyways, I finally found a combination that is working for me.

I have to say that for me being a born again Christian, my faith is important. I found a website called: Setting Captives Free. Under that site there are classes for different things like: overeating, drugs, etc. I went to the one called "The Lord's Table". It is a daily lesson I have been doing every day for 14 days now that helps you to understand how God views overeating. It is totally free! I won't get into it on the forum but if you have more questions you can pm me.

I am also reading a book and doing the exercises (mental ones) in the book. The book is called "Thin Within". This teaches you to eat only when you are hungry not to go to food for boredom etc.

I also come here every day for support. Which is such a tremendous help and blessing I can't even tell you all.

Finally, I swim for 30+ minutes a day (laps) then I use a kickboard for 10 more minutes. Then I do water aerobics and water weights for the final 20 minutes being sure I spend 60 minutes working out. Occasionally I can't go to the gym especially on Weekends. So on those days, I ride my recumbant bike for 30 minutes. I can't walk yet because of how much weight it puts on my hip so swimming is the best exercise for me. I do have many comments every day from people that I have not asked their opinion (at the pool). I just say to myself, God bless them and help me to keep on coming back even if they are curious or mean or whatever drives their questions and comments.

I hope that helps you both and or answers your questions. I took my measurments on the 1st of May when I first came to this forum and I will measure again on June 1st. I can tell that I am loosing not just weight but inches too because things are getting less snug on me.

Blessings to everyone,
Dogpal
dogpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:12 PM   #18  

Woo hoo... I've stayed OP with eating and I can still have a biscotti if I want one before I leave the coffee shop (where I am right now). Another beautiful May day here. Hope you all are having good days too.

~Tina~ ---- Great wish list! You only ask for what you need!

Tammara ---- I think we all get overwhelmed. I finally have a laptop that goes everywhere and picks up wireless wherever I go (21st century, I'm finally here...) and if I check in a couple times a day I can kind of keep up, lol. I did c.w. when I was an undergrad, but I think most of those people are gone. My dear friend who killed himself in March was MFA Iowa, PhD from the creative writing program at Houston, so he had sort of re-opened the c.w. windows for me. But PhD I was strictly scholar-chick. Carla Mulford was my adviser... but do p.m. me.

Catherine ---- I am so glad you're so close to your next goal... you've come so far, I wish I were close enough to Florida to go to the hairdresser with you. I never got too big for the chair but I stopped going because I couldn't stand to sit in front of a mirror for so long, and to feel like people were looking at me. So I just never got my hair cut and I colored it myself because I was tired of the gray. Last year though I got to be friends with this great hairdresser who has a really off-beat shop--she's the only one doing hair, but her husband runs a music store out of the same shop, and they sell offbeat stuff in the store, too: vintage 50s-60s stuff, handmade jewelry from local artists. Anyway, that got me to go back, and my hair looks sooooo good (Angie's a whiz with color) and I actually enjoy it. I even just told her that I hate looking in the mirror, so she turns me away from it until she wants me to look, though she's told me she wishes it didn't bother me. Supportive people are so helpful--I hope you can find a place you feel comfortable. You deserve it.

Andria ---- Wow, that's a lot of exercise. I wish I could do that much, but as you can see, I couldn't even make my 30 minutes a day challenge. Well, not yet, anyway. I'm glad things are going so well for you--you're an inspiration!
Angela_aka_Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 11:59 PM   #19  
DoxieMomx2

Well, ladies here it is 10:30 at night and I am finally sitting down to read and chat. Wednesday Wishes - that for once my boobs would actually be bigger than my stomach (don't think it will ever happen)!!

I've had a good week OP so far and have walked every night. Did the treadmill for a mile tonight so I could watch AI (very heartbroke over that one by the way). Figured if I made myself walk every night it might counteract that lovely monthly visitor. We'll see come Saturday!

Andrea33 - Welcome to you. I hope you find the encouragement and support that I have found here. This is a great place and it has definitely helped me in my weight loss journey.

Dogpal and HippieVanLady- My hats off to both of you on the water exercises. I have been thinking about joining the YMCA again, but have been too embarassed to go. I do a Saturday morning water aerobics class at a nearby hospital and it has older, heavier women in the class and makes it easier for me to go. Right now I just can't face all those skinny chicks and their snide looks at the Y. So, I for one am totally impressed with both of you and you give me inspiration! And Catherine, go get that haircut. You definitely deserve it!

Terri and Angela - Yes I am a born and bred midwesterner! I was born in Excelsior Springs and have lived in Kansas City for over 20 years. I live north of the river. Terri if you're familiar with north, I live close to Antioch Shopping Center.

Shadie - I know how you feel about not telling folks your dieting. When I finally went back to WW this month, I told my leader (who I've been with for many years on and off) that we didn't have to do the week one meeting, because I have been there done that so many times. I am pretty vocal with my plan though. We have a lot of firm sponsored lunches at work, and I always RSVP for a no because they never have weight loss food. I tell HR the reason I am declining so the news is definitely out there.

Mertz - Congrats on your loss. Take every ounce you can - I do!!

Lilion - I forgot to mention that I do have a lump in the middle of my bed, it just happens to be a short and stumpy very spoiled dachshund who thinks the bed actually belongs to him and he's kind enough to share it with his "people" at night! Since the hubby works night, the fur babies are my warm cuddlers at night!

I think I've managed to run on long enough, so congrats to everyone on their losses, keep your heads high and keep going forward!
DoxieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 12:40 AM   #20  
I ate it

S/C/G: 312/cw/140

Height: 5'4"

1.2 more gone...I'm happy with the loss..I kinda carbed out a little bit..mind you it was all sorts of1 point carbs..but way more carbs than I have had normally..but a loss is a loss.

Lilion..there ya go blaimg me for stuff again I didn't ask or say anything about the lump in the bed but I knew what you were talking about. BF and I cannot both stay at his place because he has a little boy bed...a twin....ugh. I can barely be in it alone (or so I feel). Thank goodness for my queen-size.

Goals....Jilly...read my bio..we have a number of the same type of goals. I actually can buy bras (42D but still) at Target. They have a few decent full-figure bras butn not quite as pretty as the other ones. I saw some skirts I want at Old Navy...I want to try them on..in the hopes that I have gotten down that far...but i also don't want to have to deal with the disappointment of having them not fit.

Diets and TOM...usually the week before and the week of I post a small gain or a very small loss...I had some problems with mine when i was first beginning WW and was miserable, but now I am back to normal and happy again. I hate the hormone-boost during TOM and the constant urge to....well..you know...whcih also comes right along with not wanting to be touched at all.

Oh my...I forgot we have a man in the coop...my apologies.

So I cheated and found out who won AI while making BF endure all 2 hours of it...but he doesn't know that. He has already fallen asleep on the couch and at this point I could change the channel and he wouldn't know.

UGH..I still have to pack and have a huge presentation to get together for next weekend and so much to do....there is no time!!! I am totally freaking out about this coming weekend and not having food options...I really do not want to gain. Positive thoughts...positive thoughts.

Happy Hump Day!!
JuleeCeeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:55 AM   #21  

Default End of vacation! Groan!

My goodness, a girl goes away for a week and look at the population explosion! Hello to all of the newbies, and where are 2 cute and Thin?

Had a lovely few days of vacation, and gained four lbs. GROAN! I see that a lot of you have lost lbs. (pssst, don't go on vacation and leave your program, or is that brains? behind). Now instead of two lbs. in two weeks I need to lose 6!

I would hang around and talk more, but I need to do a gazillion things this morning. Have a super day! See ya later. Iwillbe
Iwillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:32 AM   #22  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Julee--my problem with bras (sorry to any men reading this) is that I have SUCH a small chest for someone who weighs 300 pounds! I only wear a 42 B, which is insanely hard to find. Avenue says they sell them on their website, but I can never find them in the store. All of the bras I wear now are from Lane Bryant (you can sometimes buy the bras-in-a-box at department stores in a 40 or 42 B, but they look so old lady-ish for me being 22 and having a bf who actually sees them every weekend ). If only my boobs were proportionately big enough for the rest of me, but no, it seems the one thing I actually want to get bigger is the one thing that only gets smaller!

So, I weighed in this morning. 297.5. That's down .5 pound from last week. Not much, but I will definitely take it, since I had pizza delivered Sunday night and ate entire meals at 4 different restaurants this weekend (heck no I didn't order any salads, and yes, I just about cleared my entire plate each time!). I'm glad I was able to discipline myself enough during the week so far to make up for the very splurgey weekend. Now if only I could stay on-plan during the weekends, imagine how much I could lose...

I went to the gym again yesterday, too. 30 full minutes on the eliptical with NO knee pain--Yay! It ended up being over 2 miles and burning nearly 400 calories (I think it was like 380-something). Does a body good! Now I just have to get into a routine with strength training instead of just cardio

Thankful Thursday--I have a lot to be thankful for. Off the top of my head right now, I am thankful for:
  • not having many of the health problems associated with obesity
  • losing weight before I acquire any of the above
  • having a boyfriend who doesn't care if I'm a size 2 or a size 42
  • having a supportive and loving family (even if they are all at least 200 miles away)
  • having invaluable support from others on 3FC!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:34 AM   #23  

I'm thankful this Thursday for the many supportive people in my life, and for living in such a small town that I run into a lot of them all the time. And for all of you. I'm also thankful (sorry to all the students on the list) that it's summer and most of the students have left town. Sure, I love em when they're here, but I love em when they're gone, too

Shooting for a 4th consecutive day OP.

Iwillbe----Take heart, if you're anything like me, some of that gain will be water. I gained so much during my 6 weeks off program that I felt pretty down this Monday--but 5 pounds have evaporated after only 3 days back OP. You didn't wait nearly as long as I did, so I bet you'll be back where you want to in no time.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:59 AM   #24  

Unhappy

Good Morning Ladies! (and Gentleman)

Well, Thursday should be a good day...nearly the weekend after all. But, I feel very fat today. Of course, I know I actually am very fat...but I usually don't feel that way. The problem is, in large part, that I weighed at home today and the scale said 295! Last time I weighed first thing in the morning it said 289.5... Of course, it isn't the official weight, which will be tomorrow at the Dr. office. But still.....I'll be shocked down to my toes if I break even tomorrow.

So, what have I done wrong this week?

I ate out. Twice. (3 times?) And I really ATE OUT. Steak. Butter. Stuff with cream sauce. Why did I do this? Because we were incredibly busy this week and I never had time to cook. Because we eat so many sandwiches and turkey and chicken at home we didn't want it given choices out of the home. Because it's really easy to say, "One meal won't hurt me." Last night we went to see Kingdom of Heaven (a truely excellent movie BTW) and once again had dinner out (Ryan's Buffet because we were incredibly late and very hungry-bad combination) and had popcorn (although not much, because we ate so much at dinner!) I haven't been getting my water in either. And I haven't exercised. Of course, I never exercise...but I suspect I'm either perfect food and water-wise or I exercise, but if I do neither, that's a BAD THING.

So...what do I do about this? Starting this weekend -1- I'm cooking again! I will plan in advance so we don't get caught with nothing to eat that is simple-or even already cooked. Crock-pots can be a good thing. -2- I will buy fresh vegetables and cook with them. -3- If we eat out I will PAY ATTENTION to what I'm ordering. -4- I will not drink Coke at home until such time as I've drank all my water. Even if that means gasp BUYING WATER! And -5- I will start walking again! There is absolutly no reason why I don't take a walk at night - it doesn't get dark until 8:30 or so!

Okay...pep talk to self over! Time to get back on track...I have a goal to meet! I cannot go back to the old habit of losing 40 and gaining 80! No gaining!!!

And just to pay attention to the topic of the day...I'm thankful I have this place to come and throw a fit and rant and rave when I've screwed up...and not have people judge me for it!

Last edited by Lilion; 05-26-2005 at 10:02 AM.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:06 PM   #25  
I ate it

S/C/G: 312/cw/140

Height: 5'4"

Jill..I understand the burning desire for a pretty bra. That's something we girls get into our heads..that the guys care about the wrapping on the gifts. I am yet to meet a guy who met a girl in a plain white bra and walked away from the opportunity of what was yet to come. ESPECIALLY when the guy and the girl have been together for a while. Incidentally, Oprah has a show last week about how the right bra can make you look thinner and that 85% of all women are wearing the wrong size and style of bra for them. Whodathunk it. I have one pretty frilly pink lacy bra....it itches. I have the same bra (some from LB and some in the sale style from Target) in like 8 diff colors. Have you been sized for a bra recently? You might want to get measured just to make sure you are wearing the right size in the first place...that could help you find a better selection.

Here is what I learned last night at WW:
1 cup of cashews = 880 calories = 8 baked potatoes with salsa

Insane. There is a book out there called Picture Perfect eating (or something like that) that is great for the pictures of what is equivalent to what...it puts things in perspective very nicely.

Ok...phone is calling...ttfn!
JuleeCeeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:46 PM   #26  
DoxieMomx2

Thankful Thursday - I'm thankful for: My job;, my wonderful and supportive husband; my son (even when he's in "teenager" mode); that my parents and siblings are all alive and healthy, and most importantly, I'm thankful that I have found this forum and for all of the support, encouragement and tips I get from you ladies.
DoxieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 02:02 PM   #27  

You know, I realize that counting consecutive days OP is a lot easier when I've defined OP as just an eating goal... but I need the success. And today's going to be number 4. Just had lunch with a friend and his autistic daughter (she's a trip) here at the coffee shop, which left me well on target for the day so far. After I make the whole week meeting my eating goals, I'll think about adding exercise. I must say, though, thanks to Barb and others here who convinced me on the water thing... without even really trying, I've found myself getting back in the habit this week, at the same time I started adjusting my eating.

Lilion--Great attitude! I've been off track a lot longer, but your pep talk was just what I needed! NO GAINING.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:13 PM   #28  

Hi, Thank you all for the welcomes yesterday. I am really glad I found this support group. I made it through my first day in a long time of eating healthy yesterday. For me that is huge. So today I am thankful for my family and friends and a new healthly beginning.
Andrea33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:36 PM   #29  

Cool

Jilly, I'm just a lurker popping in here to recommend ladygrace.com for bras. I've bought from their catalog and they have a good variety of items, especially in larger sizes.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 12:12 AM   #30  

Andrea----CONGRATS! Every healthy day is also a day that wasn't UNhealthy, so it's a double victory.

wait... stop... I didn't realize this was number 30... so...

STOP Don't post here... follow us to 300+ And Ready To Try Again #722

Last edited by Angela_aka_Alice; 05-27-2005 at 12:18 AM.