Old 04-20-2005, 09:47 AM   #16  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Wow!! Not as busy as I thought we'd be!! I hope that means everyone has been out enjoying the lovely weather we're having (at least in the northeast ) I had a good day yesterday, did my register training which was pretty straightforward, the cash registers are just like the ones at Filenes and JC Penney. I can tell I'm going to love working there. For those of you just catching up, I got a part time job at Border's...I've always wanted to work in a bookstore, so this is really almost like a dream come true (as cheesy as that sounds).

2Cute and Thin - you two best behave on those streets of Detroit!! Do we get to see any pics?

Lillion - I totally understand, it's so hard to get back on program after "vacationing" away. Just allow room for slipups and do it piece by piece again if you have to. You're still doing good, it's not like starting over again from square one cause you're now what...26 pounds lighter than you were when you started it last time? I know you can do it.

Julee - Ok, I've never picture LA as a friendly sort of city (albeit there are various sections, I know..I just never saw it as a sorta welcoming kinda place). Your story reaffirms this generalization...the fact that you said it's very un LA like to talk to strangers like that lol. Have you ever been to NYC? It's a totally different vibe, you always end up having conversations with strangers there, it's a really friendly city, I love it. Whenever I get lost or confused, people always offer to help me, I never have to ask for help, lol. I love thinking about the small cultural differences between cities like that.

Karen - Ahh..the vegetarian debate. That can be a tricky one...I'm glad to see you do it for health reasons though. I'm not big on "animal rights" (even though I am definitely an animal lover, I am not against animal testing because it saves lives). I think it gets personal with many people because they just love their meat. Honestly, I think it's counterintuitive to expect people to not eat meat. I respect vegetarians and vegans, and they should respect the rest of of us. This isn't directed at YOU Karen, I just know people who are like "do you know what they DO at butcher?" It's like, leave me alone and let me eat my vitamin b12. Some say that since humans have square teeth that we're "supposed" to be plant eaters. But I say, we're skilled hunters and don't need razor sharp teeth to attack and kill our prey, lol. Anyways, I'm not a vegan but i love vegan recipes, and i ADORE tofu, so if you have any more good recipes, I'd love to see them!! By the way are you a vegan or lacto ovo, or you know a combination thereof?

Anyways, I just realized how late it is, and I REALLY need to get in that shower because I'm doing my Radio Shack audits today.

See you ladies later!!!!
VermontChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:06 AM   #17  
It's gotta be the glasses

Height: 5'8"

I checked the scale this morning and saw that I've lost an even thirty pounds. I'm not sure what's wrong; I should be more excited. Anyway, I've decided that I'll only change my weight tracker on Mondays so I'll give it a current update next week. I'm only twelve pounds away from my personal contract to start swimming again. Yeah, I made a deal with myself that I would start swimming again once I reached 300. This was the attempt I made to get over my self-conciousness in a suit, and I think it's gonna work.

Thin - Hmm. . . makes me think of how my aunt was losing hair being from being on the Atkins diet. It seems that no matter how carefull you are, there's always something that you could doing wrong when it comes to what you eat.

Miss Meliss - Oh, I know exactly what you are saying with the whole vegetarian debate thing. And that's exactly why I don't like bringing it up with the people I see every day. Not that I'm quite at being a vegetarian yet anyway, but I get all sorts of weird looks and questions when I order something vegetarian. I'm at the point where I'm not actively seeking out meat and most animal products, but I'm not freaking out and totally refusing to anything offered to me. By the way, to answer your question, I'll allow myself eggs and dairy. I like to have a poached egg every other morning for breakfast and I'm a big yogurt fan. On the other hand, I love soy products as well and I'm looking into more vegan recipes. I'll post more when I get a chance!

Yeah, I also know of people that are like, "Do you know what they DO at the butcher?" and I'm really not like that. The problems come from people that automatically assume I am that way and immediately get defensive and on my case for being stuck-up and whatnot. I guess I'd say I'm big on animal rights when it comes to frivolous things. I mean, I understand that animal testing saves human lives and I really appreciate that, yet I don't want to start a debate on the other things here or anywhere else. I don't feel the need to force my beliefs on others. Like I said, this is something I'm doing for me, and like you said, it's a matter of respecting each other. I just get tired of having to defend myself over something that I feel is making a positive impact on my life.

Well, my contacts are bothering me, and I need to get come chores done before lunch, so I'd better get going for now. Hope everyone has a great day!

And since you've mentioned the square teeth thing, I believe that we are actually omnivors, LOL!
esmaraude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 02:21 PM   #18  
Oooo Silly Me!

Sorry no individual posts today... I will get back to everyone. I promise!

Hello everyone…

I didn’t get a chance to post Monday, and Tuesday was my long day. I should have posted while I had the chance Tuesday. I was in lecture class and it was BORING and the university gives students access to their wireless network to get on to their homework site. Bascailly a site set up for each class where you can get lecture notes and turn in homework via the internet and get your grades via the internet. Mostly set up for those LARGE lecture classes where there are 150+ students. This is so you don’t bug the teacher 150 times for grades *grin* Anyways, I decided to be a good girl and not surf the net during lecture. *ROAR*

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m a procrastinator. Wait, I already knew that. ANYWAYS… for the last two weeks, I’ve been maintaining my weight at around 353-350lbs. Don’t get me wrong, maintaining is great, but I don’t want to maintain, I want to loose. So… I’m going to try to kick my rear in gear and get stuff happening. I also procrastinate on my school work too *gasp* I gotta get that in gear as well or I am going to find myself on the wrong end of the exam when times comes.

There’s a friend who I have known for ages, an adopted mom you could say. We are even going through School together. We are taking as many classes as we can together. She has a concentration in English whereas I have a concentration in Math. Anyways, she has a membership to 24 hour fitness, & wants someone to go to the gym with her after school. I am debating on that right now. I used to have a membership, but had canclled a while back because I wasn’t using the account. If I were to go back, then I’d have to figure out if I can afford the membership fees and that is just the monthly payments. Then there are the sign up fees… ick!

A lot to ponder for the week.

I’m leave Thursday night for Vegas. Many of you know I bowl in a league. Well we are bowling our last game up in Vegas. I’m really excited about this. So I’ll be gone til Sunday night. Depending on when I get back, I’ll fill you guys in. I’m hoping to win some money hehehe.

Talk with everyone later!!
Sue…
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:12 PM   #19  
Believe

Height: 5"7

Good afternoon everyone! Hope everyone is having a good day Thanks for the encouraging words, i feel better today. My eating is going well, and i have been excersising. What kind of excersise is everyone doing? i am using a treadmill and doing some videos, (including richard simmons but i would like to try something different, any suggestions? I am always harder on myself than others. If i treated myself with the same kindness i do others, i would probably be ok. I guess we all have the tendency to do that. I hope everyone has a wonderful day
futurediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:32 PM   #20  
I want my two dollars!!!

Hi everyone! Lots of new faces already and I've missed out on so much but anyways.... back from SRD. It was great fun for the most part. I met some super-nice people who were really inspiring. The only bad times to be had were from some of the members in our own group. They are treating us crappy b/c some of us are leaving to form our new group. It's really sad b/c their attitudes is the main reason why we're leaving to begin with; and now that they want us to stay they are treating us worse. I just don't know what goes through people's heads. LOL!!

Anyways, two more weeks and we're in our new group! We will be small but we will be happy and successful! (We're determined!) Time to get back on track now...especially after the bad couple of months I've been having.

Hope you are all well and hope to catch ya in a bit.
xoxox
Julie
Loki's Concubine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:40 PM   #21  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hello again!!! Food today has been so-so..I was craving fries so I had a medium fry from Burger King..but it's ok cause I never have those things. The only thing is, it's WAY too hot right now to exercise...it's 90 degrees and we still havent set up our AC yet, so I'm gonna wait until this evening to walk my two pounds Well, my radio shack audits went great, they're going to be SO easy..and I love Radio Shack, they're sooooo clean and SMALL...and have far less traffic than most of the stores I do. It's nice to be working with National In-Store again. Hmmm...so yeah I did my audits and my regular DVD merchandising job a day late (oops, I had to do Border's yesterday though). Oh, and I'm so psyched because:

Thin - I just got my first restaurant mystery shop..woo hoo!! I get a 20 dollar gift certificate and I get to go to a seafood restaurant and shop them..yay! I love free food.

Karen CONGRATULATIONS on the 30 pounds...yay!! That is my goal too, so that I can actually USE my new bathroom scale to weigh myself

Kym - Yay! I'm glad the food is going good for you. How is the weather treating you over there in the city? Gah I bet it's sooooo hot. Ick. As far as exercises, the ONLY thing I've been able to stick to dear, are VHS tapes. I can't for the life of be work the gym into a regimine and actually STICK with it. I did curves for a while but found it to be horrifically boring, and I couldn't stand the same music played over and over again...damn cover songs, ALL OF THEM. What is wrong with using the original artist? Gah.

Sue - I hear ya...I've been maintaining around the 340 area too..it's very frusterating, cause the other day I got on and it was about 337, and then I got on again and it was higher...so my goal from now on is to get weighed ONCE a week, because scale hopping can be so heartbreaking.

Well I guess that's it for now, bye chickies!! Someone remind me to exercise!!
VermontChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:53 PM   #22  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Thinthinker-I have been told I am a fountain of mostly useless information. Don't ever play trivia games with me, but I have trouble remembering my own phone number. I also have more time on my hands to do research than people who work. The only job I've had this week was a relace/recondition on a highschooler's catcher's mitt. Learned how to fix mitts in highschool. I spent a lot of time on the disabled list, (I'm a bad slider) and I was taking team sports for my gym credit because I knew I'd never pass gym. So I had to come to every practice and game to keep my grade. That meant I kept score and stats and fixed equipment. I would have washed the coach's car to stay out of gym.

Judy - I thank God everyday for my mechanic. I drive an old VW camper van, and it takes a commitment that I wouldn't be able to make if I didn't have a mechanic that was honest, on time, and always on budget. I can do oil changes, tune ups, and most of the body work, but I don't know a tie rod or cv joint from Adam. I had always felt before that they see a woman coming, and start drooling. I hope that you have and easy go when it comes time to see the estimate.

Lillion - getting back on the horse. I remember a friend who had an alcohol problem who always complained about hangovers. His doctor told him that if he never had another drink, he'd never have to endure another hangover. The last time I had a major slip, it took me 18 months to get back on my diet. I've gotten to the point where I am too afraid to slip. Everytime that I am tempted to let lose, I remember how hard it is to get back on track. I hope it goes easier for you.

Well, I've got that mitt to finish. Kids are quite funny about their "lucky" mitts, and conference playoffs start next week. If he doesn't get his mitt back, he is convinced they will lose. The weight of a whole baseball team's hope and dreams are riding on my shoulders. Oh to be young and have a game be the biggest obstacle in your life.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:09 PM   #23  
I ate it

S/C/G: 312/cw/140

Height: 5'4"

I have exercised every ounce of self-control that I have today to
a) not inflict major bodily harm on someone
b) not eat everything in sight to make me less angry at the person who made me angry
c) not totally lose it and run out of here screaming.

I had a totally psychotic parent call me today and leave me the most awful message on her answering machine. Fortunately she is a minority of 1 on this particular issue, but it has taken up a large portion of my day in documenting the incident along with everything that led up to it.

Ugh. We have a saying in hebrew that gets me through this stuff..."Gam Zeh Yavor"...this too shall pass.

But someone had a punching bag thingy that I got wail on for a few minutes. YAY.

WI tonight..I am expecting the worst. Wish me luck.
JuleeCeeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:30 PM   #24  
I ate it

S/C/G: 312/cw/140

Height: 5'4"

Hmmm..where are you all? YAY for losing 3 more lbs tonight....and hitting 10%!!! I honestly do not remember the last time I weighed 280....still a ways to go..but WOW am I psyched!!!
JuleeCeeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:40 PM   #25  
Leanne

Congrats on the loss, Julee ... and congrats on the 30 lbs, Karen! well done
hippygoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:51 AM   #26  

Good morning Ladies, I don't know how many of you are going to the spring fling, but I suppose it will be up to those of us that are not going ,to keep this thread going. You will be missed! I know you will all have a wonderful time.

Just popped in to say hi, and wish you all a safe trip. Iwillbe
Iwillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:35 AM   #27  

Hi everyone!!!

Esmaraude- I am a quasi-vegetarian...I eat meat maybe once or twice a week and I have never been much of a meat eater...there is a zine that I want to get ahold of...I think its called the cheap vegan. One of my favorite people here is a Vegan and activist and soo uber cool and she is the absolutely best cook so I pick her brain for recipes...but if I can find out the info for the book I will pass it on cuz it is so neat...even has recipes for making your own rice milk. BTW- way to go on that 30 pounds...I have about 7 to go for my 10% goal and it is soooo close...I can't wait!!

Loki- sounds like a great plan to keep you guys...NOT! I don't know why people think that being hateful and throwing a hissy fit will get them anywhere = )

Julee- I'm gonna be right behind you on that 10%....maybe 2 more weeks?

MissMeliss- I am so glad that these jobs are working out better...lifes to short to hate the place you spend a 3rd of your day at.

As for me...April is always a tough month...seems to be the point in the year that I tumble off the wagon. I even felt it this week...the urge to binge. I don't think so, I had to make myself wake up...I wrote and signed a contract to myself...to get through to the 1st without gorging and to exercise every day with no excuses...I am so thankful that I am here now and can read and be stronger...and that I have a best friend that is on the same journey and is a phone call away...He even calls me when I get home to remind me that I don't need to eat = ) But anyways...the retreat was fabulous...I didn't want to go home...hope y'all are doing well...gotta get back to work
theotherjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:20 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning ladies,

I'll attempt a few replies.

Julee - Good job on the self-control. Frustration like that is what tends to send me straight to the food. Hope the situation dies. for making your 10% point. You've done a great job.

Jen - The retreat sounds good although I don't remember you mentioning it. Doesn't mean that you didn't - I just don't remember. I'm ready for a retreat like that myself! You're so close to your 10%. Just keep thinking of that when you feel the urge to fall off the wagon.

Loki - So what is SRD? I figure it has to do with your TOPS but I am unfamiliar with TOPS. Good luck with the new group!

Scooter - You're working so hard and that is very dedicated of you to step up and keep things going. How's the TOPS leadership going? How's that bike???

Iwillbe - There will be five of us meeting up for Spring Fling. I leave tomorrow morning. We really enjoyed last year's Fling so I'm really excited to get away and attend this year. These ladies are wonderful and lots of fun.

Kym - Good job on getting that exercise done. I have stationary bikes and outdoor bikes that I use for my favorite cardio exercise. I also walk the dog. I have WATP and Tae Bo that I do on occassion. My alltime favorite exercise is Winsor Pilates. So peaceful and relaxing but yet so effective on building muscles and increase strength.

SueMarie - Yep, I'm a procrastinator too. Which I've learned leads to a mild depressioin because of the things not getting done. Go for the gym membership since you'll have someone to go with. Pay attention during class!!!

Karen - Good job on reaching your 30 pound milestone. Keep working at it!

Lilion - Belated welcome back. I never have figured out why it is so hard to get back into the groove once you break it. But get busy so you don't get on a gaining streak.

Judy - Hope the car isn't a huge expense. Good luck at the dog show and have lots of fun!!!

Okay ladies, I need to get out of here. Sorry for those I've missed. I probably won't post again until after the weekend. Be good and have a good OP weekend.
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:03 AM   #29  

Terri- my bad...I may have mentioned it...or not...but I have slept since then = ) It was a women's spirituality retreat...based on the 3 phases of life/faces of the Goddess (maiden, mother and crone). It's Pagan/earth spirituality based, but all walks of life our welcome. 3 days of singing, dancing, eating...oh and wasn't I on my best behavior...drumming, workshops, ritual, and getting in touch with yourself and bonding with other women. We had to go around and introduce our selves and basically release something we were harboring and didn't need anymore...I decided that was going to be my lack of self-confidence...I still feel like I am on a high. There was a fabulous show of fire spinning done by a local singer that was amazing...I will post pics of it tonight. Oh and the exercise...I walked so much...I have the blisters to prove it = )
theotherjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:22 AM   #30  

Smile

Good Morning Ladies!

Boy has the board been slow lately. Good thing for me or I'd never have finished all the reading!

Julee: Congrats on the 10%...and hitting 280. Like you, I can not really remember the last time I weighed that. Must start being good so I can get back to it! I love those 10 lb increments...don't you?

Sue: Say "Hi" to Elvis for me!!! I really loved Las Vegas and I'm already planning another trip. I could become a serious blackjack player...if I wasn't such a miser! At the minimum, I'd love to live there for the dry weather....now I know what it feels like to breath properly...the minute I landed in Missouri my sinuses went nuts again.

I'm slowly but surely getting back OP. My husband hasn't had a bit of trouble, darn him, and doesn't appear to have gained anything from our vacation. I haven't been willing to weigh yet...but may go this afternoon...I haven't made up my mind yet. I just really don't want to move my slider up!

Well, back to work! Have a great day ladies!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote