Old 03-23-2005, 04:54 PM   #16  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

Thanks everyone for the welcome! I appreciate it!

Right now, one of my main problems is that I don't eat enough throughout the day. On a typical day, I only eat one meal and maybe a snack here and there. I'm trying to break that habit, but it's hard. My work schedule is screwy enough that it makes it hard to try to eat before work, and there are days that it's busy enough that I don't get a lunch/dinner break.

Theotherjen: I was in a car accident in July.. I'd only had my car for 8 months before that - so I somewhat know how you feel. The guy who hit me was an older guy, and they pulled his license after the accident. I ended up having a 5-day stay at the hospital, and had to have pins and a plate put in my ankle. Hang in there.. it sucks, but you'll make it through. If you want someone to talk to, I'm around!

I'm having a hard time catching up with all of you :P Sorry if it takes me a bit! Someone asked a while back about the calorie ranges. Before I went back to work, I was basing my range on 1800-2000 calories, purely because I hadn't been getting enough in for quite a while, and I wanted to work slowly down after my body had time to adjust. Right now, I think I'm going to start back around that range, but shoot for 1800 rather than 2000.
brandnewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:14 PM   #17  
I ate it

S/C/G: 312/cw/140

Height: 5'4"

I am wondering the same thing...I am losing weight consistantly and eating all day long...granted the portions are smaller and more healthy, but I feel hungry all day long and thats even with eating every 2-3 hours...I ate a banana and yogurt about 6am and then a 100 cal snack about 9 and carrot sticks at 11 and had a leancuisine with extra broccoli for lunch...and I am still hungry. I was thinking it was head hunger...but my stomach just growled on me...so I just don't know either...I am wondering if my body is revolting and is in overeater withdrawal or something...but I figure if my stomach growls I need to eat something...but I just don't want to mess things up...so frustrating.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I started CORE with my office manager, we ate all day...literally all day. I'd have a good breakfast before I came to work...either my chocolate oatmeal and banana, yogurt and fruit, or 2 eggs and a 1 pt bagel...get to work and after a little while have a snack..some baby carrots...we'd eat lunch, we'd snack again on edamame, we'd pop popcorn, i'd drink my water, go home and eat dinner and snack again...and over 5 weeks I lost 21 lbs. I am now finding that I am snacking less and eating less overall...which concerns me just because I want to make sure I am getting enough calories...but It's normal.

My WW leader keeps telling us "If you eat when you are hungry, you won't overeat later." For me, this is SOOOO true. In my pre-WW days, I'd skip breakfast, and some days lunch too..have a crappy snack like chocolate or donuts...and then have a MASSIVE dinner...and then eat something else if I was sitting around bored. Plus, working with kids, there is food at EVERY program we have. Since I do all the shopping, I just now make sure that there is always something around for me to eat ...and not just Twizzlers and tortilla chips and cookies and junk. Plus I try to keep the food on the opposite side of the room, and when I can help it, if we have to order dinner, I have been trying to NOT always order them pizza..although it's the easiest.

The WW Core information spells out portion sizes on "restricted foods" (whole wheat pasta) pretty well. I LOOOVE italian food, as does BF..and we have just been choosing to eat elsewhere, because I know that if I sat down at Mazzarinos..and their amazing bread was there...and I could get a huge plate of what I would normally eat there...I'd have absolutely no control and it would be Game Over for me and my plan.

We all have to figure things out on our own and do it our own way. I have spent a lot of time finding recipies and experimenting in the kitchen...and deliberately skipping recipes that require pasta and rice and bread..because at this point I do not feel like I can trust myself...so I just don't eat it. I did make the pizza casserole that had whole-wheat pasta in it...and the first thing I did was cut it up into 8 servings and put them away. There is a certain beauty to portion control.

My big thing when I am faced with a trigger food or a temptation, is to say that I DON'T eat it..not that I CAN'T. Don't reflects a choice that I made, whereas Can't reflects a punishment. I mean I know that if I wanted to I could have a few Hershey's Kisses or even use extra points to have a candy bar...I treated myself to a skinny iced caramel macchiato after my 1st successful weigh-in. But I just don't feel like it anymore (for the time being...)

The other thing that my WW leader said last week was that one of the reasons we overdo it on "special foods" is that we only eats the once a year, so we feel we need to get our fill. For example...stuffing...we eat it with turkey on Thanksgiving or maybe Easter...but who eats stuffing, or a full turkey dinner for that matter in June? Birthday cake...you only get it once a year, so you may as well revel in it...so why not find ways to incorporate those types of treats often enough and ina controlled enough way that they lose the label of being "special" and make them ordinary. We eat ordinary food all the time. Plus...it's not like we haven't ever eaten it before... right? There is very little out there that is actually "new".

Just some "food" for thought...sorry to get so preachy. I thnk I am also anxious about WI tonight...hopefully things will be back in order after last week's weirdness and I'll post another loss. Hopefully.

Shop..sorry about the hunger inducing avatar...I just thought it was cute.

Thin..you have any point values on Passover Foods? Matzah? Passover will be a challenge indeed...but hopefully I will make it through unscathed.

I have to say that I am actually starting to feel a little anti-social in some ways. After Shabbat morning services here on Saturdays, when there is a Bar or Bat Mitzvah, there is always a luncheon...and I have stopped going. I could just go in and schmooze, but the food would be there...and all I will eat is the cucumbers and the fruit. They only have big white bagels, real cream cheese and they ake their tuna with real mayo...But these are the choices we make I suppose.

Argh....grey clouds begone..you are clouding my mood.

Happy Wednesday...I'll report about WI tomorrow.
JuleeCeeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:41 PM   #18  

Lilion, Hang in there... I agree, though, it's best to eat something when you're hungry, if possible. A researcher I knew at my old university did a study that found that foods that contain high water content--and they said this was different from just drinking water along with your food--keep you fuller longer. Soup, watermelon, yogurt--if you eat something dry with the same number of calories, according to her research, you'll feel hungry faster. I sometimes think about this when I'm craving, and try to find something "wet" to eat.

Wow, you DO have a job with people who dislike you. How do you cope with the stress? I could use any tips, though college students only occasionally seem to hate me.

brandnewme--I have the same problem. I don't know the solution, except to plan ahead. I put my instant oatmeal in a bowl and put water in the tea kettle--I even put the spoon in the bowl--at night before I go to bed. That way I can get the oatmeal made while I shower and chow down quickly before I head out. I also try to pack things that are easy to "graze" on while I'm at work--an apple, some crackers, cut up veggies, a couple slices of turkey--nothing that requires any prep at the office, so I can grab something between meetings or whenever I have a chance. I also keep low-cal frozen meals in the freezer at the office for days I end up staying here through dinner time, and I make myself replenish those when the stock gets down to two meals, so I never find myself with an excuse to run to the local burger joint.

Sorry not to reply to everyone.... keep having an OP day all.
Angela_aka_Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 05:56 PM   #19  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

While we're all talking about our eating habits, I thought I'd take the opportunity to vent about today's mistake...for some reason when I first wake up, lots of times I am soooo hungry....actually I don't even think I'm *hungry*, i just want that comfort of food....it just seems to be strongest when I first wake up. today i woke up from my nap and something just went off, and i wanted some lorraine swiss cheese, so silly me decides to make a ham and cheese sandwich...so with four slices of cheese (i know, i know, bad mel) and the ham it ended up being around 490 calories. eek. so now for the rest of the day, i have about 200 calories or so, because i do NOT want to go over my points for the day.

I do have a question though, for everyone...I buy low fat lorraine swiss cheese, and supposedly it's 90 calories per slice...this seems steep...maybe I should try weighing the slices i've been given, i don't want to cheat myself out of calories!!

ok, enough venting...i'm off to choir practice in a minute.
VermontChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 06:05 PM   #20  
Michigan Old-Timer

Still not here to stay. Waiting for Honey to get home to go to our tax appointment. It has been snowing here all day and he is running late.

Julee: Oh my! I didn't mean to slight you, really I didn't. See if this list helps some. Again, credit goes to Dott's.

Kosher/Deli Foods
Bagel/Bialy, 1/2 small, 1 oz (80 cal/1 g fat/16 g carbs) 2
Bagel, with cream cheese and lox, 1 large, 12
Beets, pickled, 1/2 cup, 1 Beiglach (Cheese Knish) (350 cal/17 g fat/35 g carbs) 8.5
Blintzes, average, 1 only (120 cal/1 g fat/25 g carbs) 2.5
With Sour Cream & Preserves (370 cal/10 g fat/30 g carbs) 8.5
Borscht, no cream, 1 cup (85 cal/3 g fat/14 g carbs) 2
Diet/Reduced Calorie, 1 cup (30 cal/1 g fat/7 g carbs) 1
Cabbage Roll (meat/rice), 5 oz (170 cal/6 g fat/21 g carbs) 4 Cabbage soup, 1 cup, 2
Chicken and meatball fricassee, 2 cups, 9
Chicken in the pot, without skin, 2 cups, 9
Chicken Broth, 1 cup (80 cal/8 g fat/0 g carbs) 2.5
with Vegetables (100 cal/8 g fat/5 g carbs) 3
with Noodles (150 cal/9 g fat/16 g carbs) 4
lowfat, plain, 1 cup (25 cal/1 g fat/0 g carbs) .5
Chicken soup, with matzo balls, 1 cup soup with 2 (1 1/2") matzo balls, 3
Chicken soup, without matzo balls, 1 cup, 1
Cholent, 1 medium serving, 1 cup (350 cal/16 g fat/48 g carbs) 8.5
Chopped Liver, 1 serving, 3 oz (110 cal/6 g fat/5 g carbs) 3
with Egg Salad, 1/4 cup (100 cal/7 g fat/3 g carbs) 3
Farfel, dry, 1/2 cup (90 cal/<1 g fat/21 g carbs) 2
Flanken, 2 slices (4 oz), 7
Fruit compote, 1/2 cup, 4
Hallah (yeast bread), 1 slice, 1 oz (85 cal/2 g fat/14 g carbs) 2
Gefilte Fish Balls
Regular, medium, 2 oz (55 cal/2 g fat/4 g carbs) 1.5
with jelled broth (80 cal/2 g fat/6 g carbs) 2
Cocktail size, 1 oz (30 cal/1 g fat/2 g carbs) 1
Sweet, medium, 2 oz (65 cal/2 g fat/4 g carbs) 1.5
with jelled broth (95 cal/2 g fat/9 g carbs) 2.5
Hamantaschen, 1 piece (3" diameter), 2
Haroset, 1 cup, 3
Herring, smoked, 2 oz (120 cal/8 g fat/0 g carbs) 3.5
in Sour Cream, 2 oz (150 cal/10 g fat/0 g carbs) 4
Honey cake, 1 slice (5" x 3" x 1"), 8
Kasha, cooked, 1/2 cup (100 cal/<1 g fat/20 g carbs) 2.5
Kasha varnishkes, 1 cup, 4
Kipfel (Vanilla/Almond Cookie), 1 piece (60 cal/2 g fat/7 g carbs) 1.5
Kishke, 1 small piece, 4
Knaidlach, 1 ball (40 cal/2 g fat/5 g carbs) 1
Knish (Kasha/Potato), 1 only (130 cal/4 g fat/22 g carbs) 3
Cheese, 1 only (350 cal/17 g fat/35 g carbs) 8.5
Kreplach, beef, 1 piece (40 cal/1 g fat/6 g carbs) 1
Kugel, potato/noodle, 1 serving (150 cal/7 g fat/20 g carbs) 4
Latkes (Potato Pancake), 2 oz (200 cal/11 g fat/22 g carbs) 5
3 Latkes with Sour Cream/Apple Sauce (750 cal/25 g fat/95 g carbs) 17.5
Liver, chopped, 1/4 cup, 5
Lochshen, plain, 1 cup (130 cal/2 g fat/26 g carbs) 3
Pudding, 1 cup (380 cal/13 g fat/48 g carbs) 9
Lox (Smoked Salmon), 2 oz (65 cal/2 g fat/0 g carbs) 1.5
Mandelbrot (Almond Bread), 1 slice, 1/4" thick (45 cal/2 g fat/5 g carbs) 1.5
Matzo, 1 board, 1 oz (110 cal/<1 g fat/21 g carbs) 2.5
Matzo Balls, 2 small, 1 large (90 cal/3 g fat/12 g carbs) 2.5
Soup, with 1 large ball (180 cal/7 g fat/24 g carbs) 4.5
Matzo brie, 1/4 of 10" round or 1 cup, 6
Mushroom-barley soup, 1 cup, 5
New York Cheesecake, 4 oz (350 cal/24 g fat/26 g carbs) 9
Passover sponge cake, 1/12 of 9" tube, 3
Pierogi, potato/cheese, 1 piece (90 cal/4 g fat/11 g carbs) 2.5
Reuben Sandwich (920 cal/60 g fat/28 g carbs)
Rugalach, 1 piece (2 1/2" x 1 1/4"), 3
Schmaltz (Rend'd Chicken Fat), 1 tbsp (90 cal/10 g fat/0 g carbs) 3
Strudel, any type, 1 piece (5 1/2" x 2"), 8
Tzimmes, vegetable, 3/4 cup, 2

Ok, gotta run...............
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 06:32 PM   #21  
working off those pounds

Oh god! Thanks Thin...I TOTALLY keep forgetting to do my taxes...grahhh...i always put this crap off until the last moment....i can never afford to hire someone to do it so i just use turbo tax :-D i hope i get a big refund this year...
....sorry about the snow, that stinks...i had my own driving troubles today, coming home from the doctor. i decided to take a little "shortcut" (my SUMMERTIME shortcut) and it was sooooooo muddy that my car nearly bottomed out like six times on the way home...i kept fishtailing and there's like no guardrale between me, the muddy landslide on the left ( NO JOKE) and the huge dip into the river to the right. god that was scary. there was this one area where a huge chunk of earth that had just...*fallen* down into the road, big ol' mudslide and my car just slipped and slid the whole time, i thought i was going to plummet to my death

Ok, I digress, all i meant to comment on was the tax thing.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:52 PM   #22  

Meliss: Glad you made it home safe. I hate slick roads. Had two nasty "black ice" experiences and have been a bit of a wimp about driving in the winter ever since.

Well, I ate my banana at 2:30. Then ate a 1 or 2 pt muffin at 2:50. Drank my entire 32 oz. of water between 2 and 3:30. I'm still hungry. At least it's almost dinner time. Maybe my chicken and stuffing and green beans will help. At least I'm only up to about 15 pts so I have 20 to play with...although I try to stay less than that.

Turned down a chance at a taco salad today. Good thing, I looked it up, the "new" taco salad is something like 870 calories and 47 grams of fat! Also, went to a class today and they had homemade white chocolate macadamia nut cookies. I took one...and gave it to my friend. How's that for a choice!

Brandnewme: I am one of those people who get up at 7:10 when they have to be to work by 8. I always end up eating in the car....I know, NOT something you're supposed to do...but it works for me. I make an egg and cheese (egg beaters or scrambled in a bread-sized bowl - takes 3 minutes in the microwave and 2% cheese and whole grain bread that's 1 pt for two pieces) the whole thing is 6 pts - if I use real eggs - and it keeps me to lunch! Granted my car is full of crumbs, but you gotta take the bad with the good.

Gotta go...Yay! It's dinner time!!!

Lilion
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:50 PM   #23  

So Meliss, was that lunch? Errr. or do you only eat 690 calories a day.

I think I'm confused because I wake up so late and only eat lunch/dinner?
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:07 PM   #24  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

alice-yes Ozzie came home beautiful, but exhausted. Being around all those other dogs wears him out like I do when I'm around a gaggle of t-ballers.

missmeliss-I don't mind helping the neighbors out. I have some domestic violence in my past and used to volunteer at a shelter, back when I was small enough to make it up the steps at the courthouse. I've been in a shell so long, that I'm trying to reconnect, one person at a time. And yes, I think dates taste like candy. You've got to get the good ones. Of course I have convinced myself that low-cal english muffins taste every bit as good as kaiser rolls, and a tablespoon of grated romano is just as good as a half pound of gooie mozzarella on a pizza.

jillybean-wow I'm not used to being quoted. My mouth usually gets me in trouble. I tend to be a tad verbose, so I guess I was due. I've been living this Larger Than Life life so long now, that I have to find some kind of interior wisdom to find my way out from under all this weight. I realized today that I have not been at a "normal" weight since I was 3 years old. I've gotten close to goal twice, but never reached it before. This time I will make it.

otherjen-when I started this time I knew I would have to shrink my stomach. When I used to get hungry, I would get horrible stomach pains and loud painful hicups. I know that the nerves in our stomachs that talk to our brains to tell them that we are full, are at the top of our stomachs. I saw a show about gastric bypass where they said after a year your stomach hold about the amount that a coffee cup holds. I made large pots of like turkey chilli or spagetti, and ate a large coffee cup full once an hour all day long. I was getting the same amount of calories, around 4-5000 a day, but my stomach slowly started to shrink. By the end of 6 weeks, I was eating a small coffee cup full every 3-4 hours. That's when I started eating a balanced diet of around 1200 a day. I haven't had the stomach pain or hicups for the first time on a diet. Hang in there, and your body will thank you by letting up. Just endure for a short time, and it will pass, and you will never again be a captive to your stomach or brain.

Fighting for my freedom everyday.

Catherine
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 08:28 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 340/240/155

Height: 5'3"

Talking Thanks ThinThinker

Hey ThinThinker
Your so sweet for sending me a card. I really appreciate it.
I've been so busy with work and school, so I've had little time for myself these days.
But things are changing for the better. Seeing your note really brighten my day I'll try and stop in more often to say Hello
joe anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:38 PM   #26  
working off those pounds

shopaholic -

noooo that was IN ADDITION to lunch...i try to eat between 1600-1800 calories a day, and i TOTALLY threw myself off by eating that sandwich...I had already eaten breakfast and lunch. For breakfast i had a whole wheat english muffin (2) and for lunch I think I had leftover rice and steak....so the lunch was sorta high calorie already. Of course by dinner time I was starving and just ended up having a normal meal, so my calories for today were probbaly around 2000
Old 03-23-2005, 10:44 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 306/261/160

Height: 5ft. 5.5 in

Hello to all. Just stopping by to say a quick HI! Still have my

company. Were supposed to take her back home Monday after
Easter. Maybe then I'll get back to my normal routine.Hope so anyway.
Still trying to read every day, trying to keep up reading the posts even
if I don't take time to post. Everyone be good - Love to all - LATER

P.S. Thin thanks for the card. You know how to really brighten up
ones day.
hilta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:59 PM   #28  
working off those pounds

Hey, just checking in...I started what was almost a panic attack, but nothing came of it....i started freaking out about my health and worrying about things (AGAIN)...then I decided to come here and see all these familiar faces that help reassure me that I am not alone in this battle.

Thank you all for being there!

By the way, I know a lot of you chat online, if anyone wants to drop me a "hello" my IM screen name is muzykgal, i'd love to hear from someone!! my name is almost always online, even if i am not here...
Old 03-24-2005, 01:18 AM   #29  
Dancing those pounds away

Well ... It has been a few days since I have been awake at this hour.
I don't know why I am so wide awake tonight.
But I am going to take advantage of it and start a new thread since I am 29.
You know the process.....

STOP !!! Do not post here !!!
Come join us in the next ongoing thread... #681
See everyone there.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote