Old 02-26-2005, 01:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default 300+ And Ready to Try Again. ..#660

COME JOIN US !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have a bi-weekly 2x2 Challenge.
Our goal is to lose 2 lbs in 2 weeks.
We have a long term goal of losing 300+ lbs within our 300+ group in 2005.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 02:46 PM   #2  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everybody! Just checking in briefly.

Honey and I did a nice bar/dinner job last night and so I was up this morning doing the report. The trouble with the $100 dinner jobs is that they want $100 reports too! Long and very detailed, so it took me awhile. I love doing the jobs, but I'm not thrilled about the paperwork. We really did have a nice time. Seems like I'm doing more food jobs than anything else though lately. There's no money in them, just food. Honey's been really stressed at work so these dinners out have been a welcome relief for him.

I really don't have time to do replies right now, but I found an article I wanted to share with you all. Also, I have to tell 2cute: CONGRATS on moving into "virgin fat". You go girl! I'm sooooo proud of you!!!!

Here's the article and then I've got to run.

Yo-Yo Dieting: 6 Tips to Reset Your ‘Fat Thermostat’
By Tiffany Owens

“Yo-yo” dieting, where a person repeatedly loses and regains weight, may have a lasting—even negative—impact on immune function, according to new findings by researchers at University of Washington’s Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.

"To our knowledge, this is the first study to show potential long-term effects of yo-yo dieting on health," said researcher Cornelia Ulrich, Ph.D. The Hutchinson study interviewed 114 overweight, but otherwise healthy, women about their 20-year weight-loss history and found that long-term immune function lessens in proportion to how many times a person loses weight.
They also found that immune function (as measured by natural-killer-cell activity) was higher among those who had been fairly weight-stable over several years. This depressed NKC activity has been associated with increased cancer incidence and susceptibility to colds and other viral infections.

"While one weight-loss episode of 10 pounds or more in the previous 20 years was not associated with current natural-killer-cell activity, more frequent weight loss episodes were associated with significantly decreased natural-killer-cell activity," said Ulrich. Those who reported losing weight more than five times had about a third lower NKC function.
If long-term studies replicate these results, what are the implications for the millions of Americans who constantly battle the bulge? Could it be safer to carry around a few extra pounds rather than risk the health effects of yo-yo dieting?

Scientists are speculating there's yet another reason why we repeatedly regain weight after dieting. Our body is programmed to store fat and counteract diets to get us back to the highest weight we have ever been. This is controlled by a mechanism dubbed the "fat memory," which is how our ancestors used to survive famines—by eating enough to enable them to go for days without sustenance.

But nowadays, when there's an abundance of food and a tendency to overindulge, "the body gets confused about weight gained over and above what is needed and it can reset your fat thermostat too high,” notes Professor Tim Spector, author of Your Genes Unzipped: How Your Genetic Inheritance Shapes Your Life. So when you shed unwanted pounds, your body then uses all of its resources to ensure that you regain them.
The good news is, by changing your eating habits, you can reset your “thermostat.” Here’s six tips to trick your fat memory and stay slim:

1. Work it out. The only sure way to get round the fat memory problem is to exercise, thereby increasing your metabolic rate and burning calories. At the same time, you will be bolstering your immune system and building muscle, the extra weight of which will trick your body into believing you have enough fat stores and stop trying to gain more.

2. Think long-term. Forget rapid-weight-loss plans; instead, cut food intake by 100-200 calories a day. Sure, it may take longer to lose the weight, but this approach won't trigger your fat memory alarms. "If you really want to stay slim, you have to introduce changes which are sustainable over time,” notes Spector.

3. No quick fix. Dieting makes our fat memory even more ingrained. After two to three days on restricted levels of food, your body goes on red alert, releasing hormones which slow down the metabolism and digestive process, prompting it to lay down extra fat reserves.

4. Banish binges. As well as a fat memory, we also have a cognitive memory, which means we find it psychologically difficult to adjust to changes in eating and return to normal eating patterns. If you do overindulge, try to cut back over the following few days, rather than starving or pigging out for an entire week.

5. Keep it regular. Never go for longer than three hours without eating something. Otherwise, the body may think it is in a starvation state and send hormones to the stomach that create hunger pangs and increase your cravings and appetite.

6. Be patient. "It's difficult to put a precise figure on it, but once you gain excess weight it could take time to reset your body's fat thermostat back to its lower level," says Spector. "So any changes you make really must be for life." But it’s not impossible. With some effort and patience, you can retrain your body to be slimmer.

This article is copied from MSN Health and Fitness

I'm thinking this reprograming may actually be doable. So far my sleep reprograming is getting easier every night. As a matter of fact, last night I don't even remember laying my head on the pillow. So far this is what? 6 nights of being in bed before midnight! It's coming along well.

I've really got to run. You all behave yourselves. I'll be back for sure tomorrow, if not sooner, since it's Nascar day at our house and I can hold up here in my office for several hours while the cars go round and round.
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 03:10 PM   #3  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cute2Bfat
Hip Hip Hooray !!!
Hip Hip Hooray !!!
My 7lbs lost, is still gone today !!!

Okay, I am claiming my lost.
I wanted to wait until I knew for sure it wasn't coming back. LOL
It has been gone for several days now. LOL
Terri.. this not my weigh in for 2x2. I am hoping for more.

This ties me with my lowest weight since finding 3FC and LC.
That was my birthday goal... didn't make it by my birthday... but did make it in Feb.
This brings me to a total of 42 lbs lost !! (again)

The next pound I lose will be VIRGIN FAT.
I can guarantee you ... I won't be cheating today.
The next pound will be a BIG VICTORY for me. Lowest weight in 5 or 10 years.

One tip I want to share is ATTITUDE.
I was doubting my ability to ever lose that weight I gained.
The more I doubted it... the longer I stayed there.
It was not until I made a "decision" that I WILL NOT GIVE UP and I WILL STICK TO THE BASICS that it finally happened.

I have said it before many times.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING !!!
I had the knowledge, but the knowledge how to lose weight didn't get the job done.
It took the proper attitude.
It took commitment to keep trucking.
It took dedication to follow instructions.

Now... if I could only find that committment and dedication for...
....EXERCISE !!

2Cute: Truer words were never spoken. I am sooooo happy for you ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING. You kept it all together and got yourself to a very good place.

My "virgin fat" is located at around 244. That's where I was 2 yrs. ago and it's where I fell off when I met that goal. Not this time. I'm really going for it too. Once I get past 244 I have lots of weights I remember and that I really want to celebrate as I pass them. 235 - where I sat for yrs., 229 - broken ankle, 212 (don't know why but that one sticks in my mind ), 205 - another "holding" weight and the onederful 199 - a dream weight I haven't seen in about 30 yrs. I'm hoping to see that 244 by the end of summer if ... make that: I will reach 244 by the end of summer.

I'm with you With ATTITUDE, COMMITTMENT, DEDICATION and Exercise will be the foundation to success!!!!!

Thanks for your great post and a toast to your continued success.
j-ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 04:20 PM   #4  
I ate it

S/C/G: 312/cw/140

Height: 5'4"

Default saturday is still for relaxing isnt it?

Well..BF who doesn't much like fish or dijon mustard loved the fish i made last night witht he yogurt-dijon-lemon-dill sauce...who knew I had it in me to cook. I found a Core recipe for a "pizza casserole" which I made yesterday and froze...had some for lunch and wow! Very yummy. I chose to not use actual meat and used the Morningstar Farms crumbles and they were great. I passed on lunch after synagogue today, BF and I are off to a baby shower where there is sure to me many tasty tempting treats (bah) and we have a big engagement party we are invited to tonight. So I'm off to look for a good chicken recipe (breasts not whole chicken) so we can eat before we go to the party since it will be buffet stations.

Recipe of the day:
Chocolate Oatmeal
1/3-1/2 cup oatmeal (plain, unsweetened)
1 pkg SF hot chocolate mix
skim milk (use as much as it takes to get it to the consistency you like your oatmeal)
mix in a bowl, zap in the microwave...chocolate for breakfast is gooood!
I like to add some sliced banana before i nuke it...they have a nice flavor.

BF and I went to see "Hitch" last night. Saying no to popcorn was rough...then we went to a bar afterwards to see our friend who runs a karaoke show there and they were making fresh popcorn...argh....noooo. Popcorn with butter is my kryptonite.

Have a happy, restful, frost-free, warm and snuggly weekend!
JuleeCeeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 06:00 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuleeCeeS
BF and I went to see "Hitch" last night. Saying no to popcorn was rough...then we went to a bar afterwards to see our friend who runs a karaoke show there and they were making fresh popcorn...argh....noooo. Popcorn with butter is my kryptonite.
Good job saying no! If they sold cheesecake at the movie theater, I would be totally screwed. Luckily, I worked in a movie theater for a few years, so popcorn does not tempt me in the least. I used to bring huge almost trash-bag sized bags of popcorn with me back to college. I wouldn't bring any "butter" though...next time you crave it, just remember that it's not even close to being actual butter. If butter is bad for you, this stuff must be 100 times worse. Yellow-colored, melted liquid lard. YUM!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 07:01 PM   #6  
I want my two dollars!!!

Hi! New here and just popping in to say hello. Hope to get to know you all better soon!
Loki's Concubine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 08:03 PM   #7  
Oooo Silly Me!

2Cute – Congrats on the weight gone! I dunno if I got any “virgin fat” I think all my fat is out there shaking their stuff at this moment… I weighed in, still at 354lbs… hehehe, but at least I haven’t gained anything *grin*

Hilta – yeah I saw on one of the scale websites for the “tanita” scales that those were the ones he gave away and so on….

Lilion – no I must have missed your scale story. I was doing that for a while tho, running to and from the health center at Cal State. I have one that weighs up to 400lbs, but the one in my daughters bathroom is dying and I figured, maybe I could give her mine (not that she weighs a lot – petite 100) anyways, I could give her mine, and I get one of those fat scanner ones hehehehe…

Loki – WELCOME!
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 09:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 298/290/155

Height: 5'5"

Hi all.

Just stopped by to see if I could join you. I started my weight loss plan on Dec. 28. My starting weight was 297. Is that close enough to the 300 mark to join this thread. Close enough for me with breaking chairs, not going on an airplane because I don't know if I could fit in the seat, not fitting in a booth at a restaurant, etc. Let me know if you can relate to this. I really have a long way to go to goal.

Mary
missmuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 09:39 PM   #9  
Dancing those pounds away

Thumbs up

Thanks for the congratulations. I was a happy camper all day.
I had no trouble staying on program. We even went to a BUFFET for dinner.
I was not even tempted to eat off program. I want that next pound or two BAD.

I am actually feeling better health wise too.
Before I could take medicine and still be sick.
But today I felt normal as long as I took my medicine.

Went looking at new cars again today. Seem to be having a hard time finding one at a price I want to pay. LOL CHEAP is my middle name. I found one car I really liked... but didn't like the color. It is hard to feel "worthy" of those kinds of prices.
Oh well... I will just keep looking.

I may not be here tomorrow. My husband's brother is in the hospital so we may be driving to Missouri. Just have to wait and see.

I was proud of myself today too for WALKING.
I walked from one end of car lots to the other.
Usually I drive from one end to the other. LOL
Today I made a point to intentionally walk from end to end.

Man am I HIGH today !!!
On a down side.... even though I am at the lowest weight I was before... my body size is BIGGER than it was at this weight before. Grrrrr
Last time I was exercising. I lost inches !!! This time I lost the weight... but not many inches. But that is okay. It is a beginning. You have to lost one pound before you can lose 10. You have to lose 10 before you can lose 42. And now I am on my way to 50 !!! I am grateful for every ounce. And I know when I lose some more weight it will not be as painful or uncomfortable to exercise as it is now.
I have memories of actually enjoying exercise when I was smaller.
I know that once I start exercising the inches will come off too.

Oooppsss ... I forgot to say WELCOME to Loki !!!!
So glad to have you joining us.
Post often and tell us all about yourself.

Last edited by 2cute2Bfat; 02-26-2005 at 09:42 PM.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 09:51 PM   #10  
Dancing those pounds away

Mary ... WELCOME !!! Of course you can join !!! We love newcomers !!
I can relate to all of that. I want to fly to see my daughter in Michigan but fear not fitting in the seats... fear even MORE ... the walking the longggg distances in the airports.
And BOOTHS !!! Real fear there. LOL Actually, even when I fit .. I feel uncomfortable scooting across and bothering the people on the other side.

Post as often as you can. Tell us all about yourself. What kind of food plan are you using? It doesn't matter, we all have different plans here. Just curious. LOL
Again... WELCOME !!!
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 09:55 PM   #11  

Welcome MissMuffett...I'd say 297 is plenty close and good for you for getting started losing before you gained that other 3! Wish I'd have done that! You'll find the nicest ladies here! And I know what you mean about the plane. DH and I are going to Vegas in April and we paid an extra $250 or so to have three seats for the two of us! I never want to do that again.

Welcome Loki too!

SueMarie, send you a PM with my silly scale story...so you'll see why I'm still running to the Dr. office...too embarrassed to come clean with DH!

Today was a relatively "fat" day...although I stayed OP...at 33 points....

Can someone tell me how the WW point system has changed since 2000? I'm using my old books and I just want to make sure that the didn't decide the old point system was too fattening to work!
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:42 AM   #12  
CrAzY GiRl on a mission!

S/C/G: 307/307/150

Ok....here we go. Eating has been a bit off the last 2 days, but I have also lost 4.5 lbs so far....not marking it on the tracker until its official (Tuesday is WI day.) Lets see, I last checking in on Thursday I think....so, I ate crap (don't even remember what anymore) and Friday I ate pizza rolls (that was it all day). Today has been a bacon burger with 5 or 6 fries....and some cheez its. So like I said, crappy food habits.
Did get in a half hour walk tonight and with the shopping today probably another half hour to 45 mins. Exercise is always good.
Still feeling icky, but at least I can breath through my nose now.

MichelleK~ Yep, I am a true Rhode Islander....I started out in West Warwick, then Kansas (3 yr stint), then back to Coventry, WG, Maine, Kansas (again), Coventry....and have landed in Pawtucket. Where I think I am doomed to stay

MissMuffett~ I believe I follow the crowd when I say all are welcome here....I, like Lilion wish I had been smart enough to make the change before these final pounds decided to creep on.

2cute~ Attitude IS everything and it sounds like you have a great one....so pass some of that positivity this way will ya?

SueMarie~I had issues with wanting to spend the money for a body fat scale in any stores around me (they were running around $60 or so)...so what I did was purchase a less expensive digital scale (accurate to 330 lbs but I have seen them up to 400lbs) and I just purchased on eBay a body fat scale that you just press your thumb to and it tells you what your percentage is within .5% if I remember correctly. I will certainly update you once it arrives and I get some practice out of it. Also bought a heart rate monitor that works similarly.

Julee~The daily recipes rock....keep them coming as I find that they are so tempting and with my whole house joining WW next week I am sure they are going to come in handy.

Lilion~
As far as I know the point values still stand....but I can certainly let you know more once we actually join a local center.

Loki~ Welcome to our crazy group....keep posting, even on bad days.....it helps!

My goodness....I didn't realize how long this post actually was.

Everyone enjoy your weekend!
synn1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 04:17 AM   #13  

Default Where are they???

Where are all of the regulars that were posting here when I joined? Not that I am not happy to see all the newbies, I am! I was just wondering.

I am still here and trying to get back to where I was at the end of the last 2x2 challenge. That one weekend of all out stupidity really set me back. It is much harder to lose than to gain! Is that news to anyone here?

2cute, , 7 lbs. wow! Good for you! I hope you find the car of your dreams! Did you know that the dealership will try to get any color of car you want, that is ,that they make in that model. It is fun to window shop though. Are you like I am about test driving them. I am always reluctant to try to sit in one to see if I fit. I did say TRY, cause most of them are a tight squeeze even with the seat all the way back. bummer!

Welcome, Mary and Loki.

I would love to post a reply to all of you, but I can't seem to keep up.
I DO read all of your post, and I find that a whole lot of us have the same issues with food and other things that a large person has to deal with daily.

OHHH, on a silly note, I was reading where someone said we were all in the same boat. I got this picture of all of us over 300 or at 300 in one boat and I thought DAM that boat would sink! Hand me a life jacket cause I can't swim.

I think I have listed some of the reasons WHY I want to lose weight before. That list is so long, and I am so tired of failing! I want some of 2 cutes ATTITUDE! You know it really isn't that hard to eat right, so I wonder why I find it so easy to binge ever now and then? It is kind of like this strong urge takes over my sanity (that is not putting it well, but that is as close as I can come to an explanation), and I just go for it, anything I want to eat, and as much of it, and sometimes it is not even good to me. Does anyone else on here know what I mean? Are you a binge eater? How do you overcome those urges?

OK, enough of that, I just needed to vent a little. I get pi--ed at myself!

Here is wishing all of you an OP day. Iwillbe
Iwillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:15 AM   #14  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Mornin, mornin', mornin'

WELCOME to all of our new members. Glad you found us!

It's a beautiful morning here in Central NY. The cold sun is shining down on about 14" of bright white powder snow. We were supposed to get 1 - 3 inches yesterday instead we got over a foot of snow. That's on top of about 2 ft. of "old" snow so it's getting pretty deep here. Can't wait to see what the next week brings. They're predicting a nor-easter then 2 to 3 days of lake effect snow after that. I wish my knees were stronger. I'd be out falling of my x-country skis if they were.

I'm gonna have breakfast, go shovel and then come in and count cars for the Feb. challenge.

Have a great day ladies and remember to stay on your chosen weight loss plan.
j-ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:50 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning!

Hey! I wrote out a post after starting the new thread yesterday. I must have closed the window instead of hitting submit. Darn!

Oh well, it didn't say much.

There was the reminder that the 2x2 ends on Monday and this is not the weekend to lose control. Or like my usual habit, to forget to take my HBP pill with the diruretic and then forget to drink my water.

To make it easier to tally everyone up, I'd like for everyone to send me a PM with their losses as well as post it wherever they like. With all the new follks and all the posts on here and other threads, it gets hard to keep track.

I've been cleaning the downstairs this weekend. I hate clutter and I had Christmas crap all over the rec room. I had intended to sort it out and be more organized about putting it back but that isn't going to happen. Now its finally all put back in the storage area under the stairs. And I've got a stack of stuff to sort out to keep and to send off to Goodwill. Its now tucked back into a corner out of the middle of the room too.

Does anyone else have problems about when their house gets "out of control" that its depressing and gets worse? I have been more aware that when I feel like its really bad, then its really hard to get started and do something about it. Its like I can't get it all done at once. Maybe its a winter depression or something. Or maybe its the feeling that I have to do it all by myself while DH lays like a slob watching golf or football or some stupid movie and pretends that I'm not there and don't need help. I guess pretending I'm not there is better than his moaning about how his back hurts.

2Cute - for 42 pounds gone! Once that pool gets warm enough, you'll be losing inches too!

Welcome Loki & Mary!

Iwillbe - Sometimes folks get busy and just fade out of the thread for awhile. Sometimes they come back when life slows down. I know there are several I'm missing.

I've already got Hilta's 3.5 loss.

Lilion - WW has changed somewhat with the points. I think the first change was to shave off 2 points from 35 to 33 on the highend. Then they are doing a flex points now. You get 35 points for the week to use as needed in addition to your max points. At some point, they decidedd carrots and onions should not be free foods anymore. I use the WW Online instead of my old books. I quit paying to WI about a year ago or more. I like their journaling system online now.

Synn - Good job on the exercise. I make out menus for all three meals a day that go from Mondays to Sundays; including snacks. I always do it by the Friday before. Since we've been doing that, it really has helped us to avoid the crap food days. Good luck!

Thin - Good for you for getting your sleep reprogrammed. Just don't let your guard down and "allow" yourself a treat by staying up late or something. Keep working at it and yes you can reprogram yourself in many areas but you have to really want it and be willing to make it work. You can do it!

Sue Marie - I read in a magazine recently that a WW scale is one of the most accurate. It was a comparison of a variety of digital scales and the $59 model of WW was better than most and was better than the $69 model. I've thought about the body fat thing too but wasn't confidant about accuracy.

J-Ann - That's a lot of snow! Be careful shoveling!

Hope that catches everyone from this thread. DH has breakfast ready and then its time to get ready for SS and church. This afternoon is more cleaning. DH's #2 son called last night that he'll be here from Tuesday through Saturday.
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote