Old 01-15-2005, 11:05 PM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default 300+ And Ready to Try Again...#633

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have a bi-weekly 2x2 Challenge.
Our goal is to lose 2 lbs in 2 weeks.
We have a long term goal of losing 300+ lbs within our 300+ group in 2005.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 03:04 AM   #2  
Dancing those pounds away

Thumbs up

Howdy everyone.
I had a fun day Saturday.
I rearranged my office a little.. but it made a big difference.
I got a new piece of furniture for it for Christmas and a darling picture that I have loved for years. I feel it is much more "ME" now.
My picture is the back of a huge elephant and a little girl. They are sitting ... and she is attempting to have her arm around this elephant. It is sooo sweet. You may need to "see it" to appreciate it. That picture just represents "unconditonal" love to me.... and you know how I feel about "cute" elephants. LOL

BarbPA... I am going to add a "peaceful" element too. Maybe some candles and soothing music. My husband teased me that all I need now is a mini refridgerator and I can live in here. LOL
I'm definitely going to add my hand weights to set next to my desk.

We did that in the morning... and in the afternoon we picked up our 4year old granddaughter and she spent the day and night with us. She is pure joy !!!!
I kept the 2 year old all day Thursday. That gives them each that "special me" time with grandma and Papa. The other grandma is keeping the 2 year old tonight.

I am feeling very HIGH about my food !!!! I don't even want to cheat.
I ordered my meal the other night and told them to substitute a salad for the fries. Well.. they gave me the salad... and the fries. TONS OF FRIES !!!!! They weren't even a temptation. I have gotten back into the habit of ordering water instead of diet pop or tea. I bring home leftovers. And the best part... it is coming "naturally". It is "Just How I EAT" now.

I have made the DECISION to start an exercise program Monday too. Three days of aerobic... and three days of weight training of some sort. NO EXCUSES !!!!!! I am actually looking forward to it.
I want SUCCESS ... and I am going to do whatever it takes to get it.

Okay... I am out of here.
Hope there are a few more "chatty" posters Sunday than Saturday. LOL

Last edited by 2cute2Bfat; 01-16-2005 at 03:11 AM.
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:31 AM   #3  

Good morning all. I weighed in yesteday and was the exact same after a week of being almost perfectly on plan. It is kind of depressing, but I lost 11 lbs in the two weeks prior, so I guess my body is just kind of adjusting. I am going to work hard this week at staying OP and vow to get in at least 3 days of exercise (doesnt seem like much, but a huge step for me).

Good luck at losing ladies and have a great on plan week!!!!!
Jibbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:20 AM   #4  

Red face newbie

Good morning Ladies, I have no idea what I am doing, so please bear with me. I have been lurking here for a few weeks. I stepped on the scales after Christmas and was schocked to see that my weight had increased to 317 lbs. An all time high for me. I have put myself on a retricted calorie diet and dropped 7 lbs so far. Boy, do I need encouragement! I suppose I should have said ladies and gents in my opening. I don't get all of this color, size, font etc. at the top of the page, I am not real computer savy, so any help will be appreciated. Anyway, this seems like a good place for me to check in and gather some helpful hints and maybe find a better plan to lose on.

Hope to get to know some or all of you. Iwillbe
Iwillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 08:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning ladies!

Welcome Iwillbe! Good job on losing 7 pounds so far. We look forward to getting to know new folks too. If you want to make something a different color, you can type it out, highlight it and then go to the color dropdown and choose a color. Or try it with the bold or italic first.

Marcie - That is a downer when the scale doesn't move especially when we know we've done it all right. DH is facing that too. Its a kick in the teeth but hang in there and the body will respond again.

2Cute - I need to get my futon room cleaned up so I can have a reading room. Maybe I'll be inspired by your efforts. Good plan on the exercise. You really don't have an excuse so don't try making any!!!

Leanne - Good to see that you're feeling better.

I need to quit procrastinating on doing my pilates and conditioning exercise this morning. For some reason I'd rather sit on the couch. Got to get over that. Then I need to get ready for church.

Later chickies!
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:54 AM   #6  
Warrior of Grace

Iwillbe - Welcome! I hope you find what you need here. How many calories are you on? I only ask because cutting them too severely can cause the metabolism to slow (go into starvation mode) instead of speed up, which is what we want.

This is a great board and there is good information all over it! I also post in the LWL forum because part of my plan is weight lifting.

I was at my all time high before I started on my current plan in Nov and I know how shocking it is to see that '3' come up as the first number! Ugh! Hang in there and drink plenty of water!
Qadira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:40 AM   #7  

Smile

Thanks for the welcome, Right now I am sticking to around 1800 calories a day. I have dieted enough in the past to understand that I can't starve my body or it will rebel! I need to do exercise, but I am sure some of you will know what I mean when I say, that hurts!! I do have hand weights that I will start to use again. As for anything that calls for one to stand up, I am not so sure. I have a lot of ankle and foot problems. I am just looking for a way to stick to some kind of diet and get some, if not all of this weight off. What kind of program are you on? I see a lot of different groups on the 3fatchicks. What works best for you? If you don't mind my asking that is. Water is another problem area for me, I don't drink enough and can't seem to convince myself to just do it! Thanks for listening, or reading rather. Iwillbe
Iwillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:42 AM   #8  
Warrior of Grace

There are many good programs. In my opinion, the South Beach Diet seems to be pretty healthy and successful (although I've never tried it). Weight Watchers is another good one. I'm doing Body for Life and it is my personal favorite, but exercise (weights and cardio) is an integral part of the plan. I love lifting weights and didn't want to give up carbs, so that's why I chose it.

I think whatever you do, be it one of these or counting carbs or calories, or a diet of your own making, I personally think the best way to lose weight is to eat 5-6 smaller meals a day (3 meals and 3 snacks) and get a moderate amount of exercise, when and however you can.

And I can't stress water enough. I drink 80+ ounces a day. That's a little much for some people, but 60 ounces is pretty good. Some put lemon or raspberry tea in it to give it soma taste. I have come to love the taste of plain water, though. I have a sports bottle with me at all times.

Take care and good luck!
Qadira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:21 PM   #9  

I do a combination of South Beach and Weight Watchers. South Beach helps me focus on eating the healthy proteins and healthy carbs. We also do it because DH is diabetic and has high triglycerides which SBD is supposed to be excellent. Weight Watchers is because I've done it off and on for 10 years and its been the best way for me to control my food intake. It is basically counting calories just in a short-hand way.

As far as exercise, I do a mixture of conditioning - weights, stability ball and pilates - and cardio - walking, video tapes, and biking. Start slow but be consistent with what you choose. You'll progress if you keep at it.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:48 PM   #10  
goddess in the making

Hi everyone, thanks so much for the wonderful welcome!!!!! I weighed in yesterday, and am down 4 lbs towards my Valentined goal, and I am not getting too excited because PMS should be kicking in next week sometime then...eeeaaakkkk!!!!!! Who else has crazy PMS and please tell me the positive ways that you deal with it instead of eating you way thru the fridge and cupboards!!!!! I just hate the cravings!!! I am glad to be here and am happy to have found such an active website!!! What plan is everyone on, ?
I have tried WW about 10 times and never stick wilth it for more that 3 months, all the weighing gets to me eventually!!!
And that is not good, but I do not want to be in the same place next year as I am in this year!!! I am getting tired of listening to my own excuses!!!
all sounds like blah blah blah to me!!!!!!!!!

my Valentines challenge
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:24 PM   #11  

Hi everyone! Welcome to all the newbies... I'm not too far behind you all. Been here since November.

Still doing great on my water and exercise. I think I need a better eating plan... but something easy without having to think too much. If I have to think too much, count and weigh my food, it ain't gonna happen. Moderation is what I need, but I don't think I'm being moderate enough to succeed!! So I'm off to do some reading and researching... BFL looks good... Maybe WW? Everyone here seems to be on something different, mostly SB, Atkins or WW, but I dunno!! Sooooooo confused... waiting on the boss lady at curves to show back up when I'm there so she can measure me... not looking for too big of a change, since the holidays hit, not badly, but enough to not show any difference... not looking forward to it but maybe I'll be surprised??? It's possible.

2Cute-- Your office sounds devine! I can't wait to buy a house someday where I can have a little room for my own space, too. Sounds great! And your new health plan sounds wonderful! Stick with it!

Jibbelle--Congrats on your loss! I can't wait to see some numbers like that myself. I'm struggling to get my 3 days in as well! I want to get in about 5 but right now 3 is about all I can do.

Iwillbe--Welcome to you! You will love this place. These women are wonderful and great sources of information and support. I'm just doing my water and watching what I eat, moderation, moderation, moderation. I counted calories for awhile, but between work and home, I couldn't keep up with it as much as I'd like to. I am going to start it all again, though. Maybe I need something more!
~Kerri~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:49 PM   #12  
Hang In There

I started a new plan the first of the year. I'm on about day 14 of a 28 day plan. It's called Dr Perricone's Prescription. It focuses on eating lots of fish, specifically salmon, then you balance it out with fruits veggies and other low fat meats. I have als0, accourding to his suggestions gave up my morning coffee for green tea, added recommened suppliments, and changed my skin care routine. His book is basically an anti-aging plan as much as a weight loss plan, and I can definately see a difference in my facial skin.

I'm also very into exercise. I have been a member of some health club or another for the last 20 years, but now I am fortunate enough to be a member of a truely fantastic club. It is operated by the Hospital, and all of it's instructors are degreed, certified, and really good at what they teach. I do water aerobics 5 days a week and alomst everyday it is a different type class. Now they have just set up a 30 minute workout section that I'm excited about trying. It is set up in the "Curves" style with machines to do so many reps on with cardio in between. I plan to try it tomorrow.

And don't forget the WATER, I drink lots of water daily, and not much else. I gave up anything carbonated almost 3 years ago when DH had WLS, and don't miss it at all. For personal reasons, I've always stayed away from artificial sweetners, so cutting out cokes made a big difference.

Well that's my plan.

ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:41 PM   #13  

I've been checking airfare to Detroit! DH wanted me to book a flight already.

Okay, the dog is driving me nuts. Be back in a while.

I'm back.

Dinner tonight was a small pork roast in the crockpot and sauteed cabbage, carrots, green onions and green peppers. Geez, it was good.

I've been loafing this afternoon. I've got the laundry done and have been made lots of progress on regaining control of the futon room. It always gets destroyed at the holiday time as that is where stuff gets stored when I make room for the Christmas stuff. I need to vacuum behind the futon before I push it back against the wall and dust. Also to add a lamp. I'm thinking a torchiere (sp?) lamp. Maybe a small table too. I'm debating about keeping the beanie babies I have or move them on. Great dust collectors.

The dog wants to go for a walk. I know I should but my mind is rebelling. Not like it would kill me.

I almost forgot share your success Sunday. We've been successful the last three weeks by planning our menus in advance. I have our menus planned up until next Sunday. I include breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks. I also plan on what I need to buy at the store when. It has really helped us avoid the "I don't knows" and "We're in a rut's". We also try one to two new recipes a week just to keep our food interesting.

We also try to think of this as a way of life - food is about nutrition and the benefits for our bodies - not a diet.

Okay, I lose. I'm going to go freeze to death and take the dog for a walk.

Have a good evening!

Last edited by Terri in MO; 01-16-2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:10 PM   #14  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everybody! I'm just checking in because shhhhhhh, Honey's out of the room and I have a minute! *giggles* He has held me hostage in the office for the past 2 days! YIKES!!! We have pitched and thrown and tossed to where I'm not sure what's left. He's been on the other side of the room and I'm thinking he's probably thrown a whole lot out that I would have kept, but I'm not going to
B!^@H at him because I'm sure he knows if I don't miss it, I'll never know. And most of it, I won't miss!!!

Gotta run, the "baby" just walked in with food. Guess maybe I better clear a path to get out of here! I'll try and get back later.
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:51 PM   #15  

We went out for dinner tonight...and I was SUCH a good girl!!! I had broiled flounder, a garden salad (with a touch of low fat dressing), and HALF of my baked potato with just a little salt and pepper. Lots of water too.

I also went to the grocery store today and got lots of good stuff....and made it through the check out without any crap. : ) I know that it seems small, but I was proud of my self for not picking up a candy bar while waiting in line!

Welcome to all the newbies and gooood luck in your weight loss adventure!
Jibbelle is offline   Reply With Quote