Old 08-07-2004, 08:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again...#554

God Bless America!

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We have a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

WELCOME!
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 08:57 AM   #2  
You and Me in 2003

Good morning chickletts
It was cool enough here last night to sleep with the windows open.
We are slowly starting to pack. Have to go visit my mother at the nursing home today.
My cousin in Mossouri(sp) died yesterday he had esophegial cancer found it last week died this week .
I better get something to eat before I dry up and blow away

Have a great day
Grannie39074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 09:28 AM   #3  

I'm going to make another attempt at getting caught up. It may take a few posts today.

Scooter, you asked about Ginger. She is improving. She still has a ways to go as the farrier cut a hole in the bottom of her hoof so the abcess could drain. We've been soaking her foot in epsom salt and warm water. She is becoming less tolerant so I take that as a good sign. We also have to bandage the hoof to keep it clean. But her spirit it great.

Thin, you asked about Grizzlefart and his side of the story. He is an old, weathered cowboy who does things his way. The kids are what he calls, 'book educated' not life educated. They don't see eye-to-eye. He's said that the kids have demanded things be their way and have threatened several times to move their horses. They finally decided to leave their horses for the time being, "to see if things improve" but are no longer barn managers. In my opinion, both sides are wrong. However, I feel the kids are more wrong because Grizzle is the boss. As most of us have learned, the boss gets to do things their way; you can make suggestions; they can listen or not; and its your choice to live with it or not. They are most at fault for all the tension and unrest because they do not have the business skills to work things out. The art of negotiation. Which is funny because two of the three are salespeople. But, we've dealt with him on a business level and he's responded well. He's willing to listen and discuss. We've also had a stern conversation about how while he views horses as working tools, people who board them see them as parts of the family. He is obnoxious. He thinks he's funny. But we just chuckle and go on. The girls just get pissed off. I've told both of them that if they can't let it go; then maybe they should move their horses because its not good for anybody. But they should just get over it; leave their horses; and come out and enjoy them. When he and I went on that trail ride and had gotten back, he told my DH that we were so far back in the weeds that DH would never have been able to find us to see what we were doing. I about fell off the horse when he said that. He's harmless.

Okay, so the week has been totally filled with getting the horses taken care of and helping Ginger. Its been a lot of work and going to be that way. Hopefully we can start getting into a routine this week where we're not out there for 2 hours every single night. Maybe even where we can take turns. We have been going over each night to put them out on grass for awhile and to get some exercise; give the hay for the night and water, etc. One night, they were so happy to be out that they ran away from me. Brat girls. Tanyah took off into the back pasture and Ginger did too. Her foot was feeling pretty good then. I had to get grain and walk back in after them. I've been trying to work Tanyah in the riding arena on a lunge rope. She pins her ears back and bucks when I snap the whip right behind her butt. Better to buck then as opposed to me being on her back.

Last night, I did take Tanyah for my first solo ride. I rode across the road into the big bean field that is part of the county park. It was pretty good. Ginger does not do well going off on her own so I was a little anxious to see how Tanyah does. Now I can ride for 30-45 minutes on my own and get out of the arena. But I won't ride down into the woods by myself. With 5000 acres, if something happened to me, no one would know where to find me. But DH and I have walkie talkies that will work out in the big field. It was such a beautiful night. I always love it when I see deer out too.

I did have to have a little talk with DH about how its not appropriate for him to stand around b.s'ing with Grizzle and Grizzle's sidekick, Kevin, while I was running around doing all the physical work. It would be in his best interest to find something to help me then he can talk. Men = DUH!

Today, I'm spending most of the day at the house. I have so much cleaning to do and just want to have time at home. This afternoon, I have to go over and clean stalls plus go with the barn girls to pick up some hay. I won't have trouble getting in moderate activity. So, Dr. Phil.....

I did finally post a couple of pictures of Tanyah on the picture thread.

No, I did not get up and ride my bike this morning. DH was awake at 4:15 am and seemed to think it was okay to wake me up too. He finally got up to go watch TV but then I had trouble going back to sleep until after 5. We've been out to breakfast. I'm all out of whack because I'd like to go back to sleep but have stuff to do. I'm not sitting here like a slug though.

A few more replies:

BarbPA - I'm so happy that you got that second opinion! I know you're off on vacation and hope you're having a great time.

Lisa - The camping trip sounds like a blast. Its amazing how little trips like that are so empowering. Something about being off on your own and taking care of yourself. Very validating as well.

Kat - Are you bike riding? Swimming dates with the DH? I need a kick in the butt because I'm still maintaining. I'm ready to drop down into the 240's so I need to crack down.

Mary - I'm sorry to see about your cousin.

I'm outta here for awhile.

TA TA!
Old 08-07-2004, 11:27 AM   #4  
Michigan Old-Timer

Morning, ladies! Just a quick peek in before I run off to be a "showgirl" again.

Went up and did some trailer checks yesterday and stayed to see Little Black Book with Brittany Murphy. It was really pretty good. Didn't end the way I expected which was really kind of refreshing.

Today I have to do trailers for Collateral with Tom Cruise. I'm looking forward to staying and watching that too.

Terri: I'm so glad for you that Ginger is doing so much better. It sounds like you are one busy lady running to the barn every night AND working AND trying to have a life other than work and horses! Geez, woman! You gotta take a breath.

Mary: So sorry to hear about your cousin. Sincerest Sympathies. [[[hugs]]]

Mom is "feeling her oats"! She decided that she HAD to get a birthday card to the post office yesterday couldn't wait, ya know so she drove herself. Guess she's feeling better. duh! What she won't get through her head is that she is probably not allowed to drive because of all the medication that she's on.

Oh well, Honey just came in and we're off to the show. See you all later. Love ya bunches!
thinthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 12:21 PM   #5  
a work in progress...

Default Hi all...

Hi all!

Wow, did I sleep late! Just got up at 10:50...I have to get moving, but I wanted to pop in here first. I feel like I haven't been here much lately. I guess getting back into the swing of things at work, and not sleeping at night after so many blissful nights of sleep, has sufficiently scrambled my brains back to their usual befuddled state!

Terri...Glad I could roust you out of the barn! I love your horse stories and am so envious of your being able to 'gallop off into the sunset', (or, at least into the weeds with ol' Grizzlefart!) Of course, all the hard work that goes along with keeping horses doesn't appeal to me at all, so I shall ride vicariously through your stories...keep 'em coming, girl! I haven't ridden my bike since we came home, but the weather is perfect for it today...once I get a few things done around here, I'll be a pedalin'!

Thin...OOH! Collateral! Can't wait for your review! Can't wait to see it! Love Tom Cruise!! Did you see I, Robot? We saw it in Maine. Missed about the first 20 minutes because the dork usher sent us into the wrong theater...whatever...It was very good! In a summer blockbuster-y kind of way! I'm glad Mom is feeling frisky! That means she's better. Gotta admire the elderly that don't want to sink into an apathetic, whining, 'poor me' existence...like my in laws...

Mary, Sorry about your cousin. Enjoy your trip to Michigan. Sure won't be the same without meeting our Miss Thin!

ANDRIA!! HOORAY FOR YOU!!! You must be on !!! What a psychological boost it is to see those numbers go down, especially into "2-terville!" Good for you! Are you leading the challenge at Curves? Your winnings can buy you some nice new smaller clothes! Have a great vacation!

Welcome back, BarbG, Scooter and anyone else who's been away!

BarbPA...I hope you're winning big in AC! We still have to arrange a girls outing there one of these days...MICHELLE, where the heck are you?

Hi to everyone else...

I'm out of time again...lots to do today...gotta run!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 03:41 PM   #6  
BELIEVE!

Hi Ladies!
We are back from our mini-vacation! Had a blast. Lost lots of money, but had a wonderful time. On Thursday night we stayed at Trump Marina - we had a suite with a huge jacuzzi bath. When we got there we picked up dinner at Hooters and took it to our room to watch Big Brother! Then we played some Blackjack and I went to the room early for a soak in the tub while hubby lost $$. We slept late on Friday and had lunch and gambled a little at the Showboat and then went to check in at Bally's for Friday night. We took a walk on the boardwalk --- you could not have asked for a better day - it was beautiful Actually we didn't end up walking as much as I'd hoped because we stopped off at a bar on the beach and had drinks and listened to music. Then it was back to the room to change for David Copperfield! What an AMAZING show!!! If you have never seen him, I would highly recommend it!!!! And, as if the show wasn't good enough, I ended up on stage with a group of people for the finale of the show --- he made about 15 of us disappear!! Then we got to meet him back stage, shake his hand and got and autographed picture. It was a blast!!! After that we had a late dinner at Johnny Rockets -- outside on the board walk! It was such a nice evening. Today we got up for breakfast, won back a little bit of $$ and headed home. Picked up the dogs, Jeff went into work for a while and I am sitting here exhuasted. I slept horrible at both places. So happy to be back in my own bed tonight!!!

Anyway, there is my update!!! I hope you are all having a great weekend!!! Tomorrow I am going into Philly to meet up with a group of women that I met on a fertility message board. Should be fun.

Kat - I am up for an AC get together anytime. Michelle - we have to do it before you move!!!

I'll be back later or tomorrow with personals. I have to rest a bit and then want to get some exercise in today!!

Love to all!
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 06:02 PM   #7  

Smile

I still wonder what is wrong with me!!! I walked 2 miles last night and 4 miles this morning. It felt so good to know I did it. My shins hurt a little if I sit for awhile and then get up but I will make it!!!

Are any of you still going to Curves? Can you give me some insight into what the deal is there? Can you ONLY exercise 20 min? I mean once you do it for awhile you must need more???? I saw they opened a Curves 6 miles from me and it has a Summer specail!!!! I am thinking of calling them on Monday for the particulars.

BarbG: Glad your laptop was a minor repair.

Thin: I don't know what to say to you. It seems too odd to discuss exercise with you. Next you will have to add a room onto the house for your pilates room!

Terri: Thanks for the pictures. They are all very beautiful.

BarbPA: Oh for fun - getting to disappear. I suppose you can't tell us how he did it?
LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 06:30 PM   #8  

Wow, we've only had six days of over 90 degrees heat this summer. No days near 100. That's actual temps not heat index. It was a gorgeous day today. I did get up and get a few projects and house tasks done. We just got back from the barn. I cleaned both stalls completely and put in new bedding. I opted not to go get hay with the barn girls because it turned out to be one, her fiance and his 18 yo sister. Considering that she walks right by us and does not reply when we speak to her....no thank you. I told DH that I wasn't going to be the old, fat lady riding in the back seat with the 18 yo who refuses to talk.

Lucky - I'm so proud of you for exercising! That's a lot of walking. Have you gotten the new green ball yet? Thin and Andria would be the Curves experts. I've heard good things about it.

Barb - Welcome back! Sounds like a fabulous time. DH and I have got to get out of here and have some fun somewhere.

I'm off to relax for a bit.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:51 PM   #9  
BELIEVE!

Lucky ---
Great job on the walking!!!
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 07:09 PM   #10  
a work in progress...

Exclamation Curves...

Lucky, I say "Go for it!" It is an easy, fast, fun workout. I used to belong and I really enjoyed going...but I also belong to the gym and didn't want to pay for both. Is it convenient for you to get to? On the way home from work or at least close enough to home that you will get there? Check out their hours before you sign up. I know the ones around here are only open during "peak hours," like 9-12:00 and 4-8:00. If the hours are not convenient for you, it may not be worth it. But it is definitely worth looking into. AND...BY THE WAY... Look at you! All this exercise! You and Thin exercising. Imagine that! I'm so proud!

Barb...AC sounds like it was a blast! Just what you guys needed...a little R&R! So? Are you going to tell us how the disappearing trick was done?

Question....Does anybody here have (or know of anyone who has) Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? I swear I have it...my right arm is killing me and has been for quite some time. From the elbow to the wrist. I don't know if I should see an orthopedist, a chiropractor, an accupuncturist or what. I guess I should read up on it, huh?

So, tonight I have several options. I'm not working. Dh is. Daughter is. Son is not. I can finish reading my book. The Stand by Stephen King...love it. I can work on my scrapbook with the Maine pictures. (I swore it would be done by now) I can work on the blanket that I started crocheting two years ago. (I started it the last time we went to Maine .) Or I can veg on the couch with my son and watch "Larry the Cable Guy" and "South Park" with my sonny boy. (High end stuff there)
Decisions, decisions...

I'm off to ride my bike first. I swore that I would do that today and I haven't yet. So here I go....

I can't be NOT exercising if Lucky IS!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 08-07-2004 at 07:12 PM.
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 10:01 PM   #11  
Hang In There

Life is strange. My mother started a job today. She is going to working for Kohls. It's close to the house, and she will just be working part time, and she's really excited about it. Of course at 76 y/old, I'm not sure she can hold up to it for long, but she thinks she can. Also I think I told you a month or so ago that my sister who had the perfect job got fired. Well, we decided that we are going to hire her and she is going to be taking over the accounting functions that I've been trying to do. It is such a relief for me. I was in over my head, and I knew it, but I didn't know of a way out. This will work out for everyone. Sure will cut down on the stress level for me.

Today we had to go to a fundraiser luncheon meeting for a church related organization that my DH is a trustee for. It was really boring, and the food was terrible, but we got through it! Afterward we stopped at the health club and worked out for about 45 minutes. That's 2 Saturdays in a row that I have gotten in a workout. I went back to my wellness clinic Thursday. i am about to get back into a regular routine again. It was hard because we got home on Friday afternoon and on Monday morning my BIL had surgery so I spent Monday & Tuesday mornings at the hospital. He got to go home last night so hopefully he's going to be okay.

BarbPA: we spent out time at the Trumps Taj Mahail(sp).

Thin, I can't wait until you get good on the Pilates machine. When we come up there for Spring Fling II, can I try it?

Terri: I can't imagine having a horse or anything that took so much of my time. You must really be dedicated to them.

Lisa: glad you had fun on your camping trip.

Mary; yes I know how men can be, we were just in PA and I could have tried to get together with BarbPA, but I knew that it would just be a problem, trying to coordinate schedules, so I didn't mention it.

Kat, are you having as much trouble getting back in routine as I am? And, no I really don't know anyone who has CTS, but they say it's very painful.

Lucky, Everyone I know say Curves is great. I'm with Kat, at least check it out. I am so proud of you and Thin for starting an exercise program. Even though I still struggle to lose weight, I know that without my exercise I would probally be bedridden. I feel so much better when I exercise regularly. It should really help with your Fibro pain.

Okay, I've rambled enough, hope everyone has a great Sunday.
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 10:42 PM   #12  
Dancing those pounds away

HIP HIP HOORAY !!!! My daughter took my computer apart and bought me a new modem for my computer and I am up and running again. My printer/copier/fax machine was still under warranty so they are mailing me a new printer. The modem was out on it too. That storm did a number on my computer stuff. New modem is a whole lot cheaper than a new computer. She had never done this before... but she is a go-getter so she just took it apart since it wasn't working anyway. LOL

Although I do have my computer back FINALLY ... I still don't want to miss a single moment with my daughter before she moves thousands of miles from me. Thinthinker will get to see more of her than me. But I could not ask for a better second mom for her when she is so far from home.

There is so many things I want to say to so many people ....
Please know I care about each and every one of you.
I will be back on a regular basis about Aug 16th
2cute2Bfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 10:51 PM   #13  

Smile

Kat: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, well, all I know is of the six people I know that had it & had surgery, ALL SIX said they would never have had the surgery if they knew the result. It didn't help any of them at all - just cost more money and they had the additional pain after the surgery. I know it's from repetitive motion - SO QUIT DOING THAT!!!! I know, easier said than done. That's my 2 cents. (are you on the couch???)

One of the things that worries me about Curves is my fibro. I used to go to aerobics and lift weights BEFORE I had fibro. Once I had it any strain on my muscles just made me go into a huge flare with extreme pain - more than what automatically comes with fibro. However, for some reasin I have decided it should be okay now - First step is checking out their price and availability. Then I will see, but I sure would like to use those machines they have. I have lost all of the strength in my upper body over the last few years - I miss it!!

BarbG: I LOVE the story about your Mom - it keeps me hopeful that I can be active at that age.

Quote:
Thin, I can't wait until you get good on the Pilates machine. When we come up there for Spring Fling II, can I try it?
I knew SOMEONE would start trouble!!!! If one does it, we all will.

Well, off to bed - hopefully will get another 4 miles in in the morning.

Night,
LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 09:57 AM   #14  

Smile carpel tunnel

kat i have had carpel tunnel. had surgery on my right wrist turned out very good and it is now easier than when i had it about 10 yrs, ago. i now have it in the left. i wear a brace on my wrist at nite and that really help. another way to know if you have it. your thumb first finger middle finger and 1/2 your ring finger will go numb. best to check with dr,
hi to every one!! pat
paperdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 10:08 AM   #15  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Fly-by lurker post -- Kat, I used to work as a waitress and found when I had symptoms that vitamin B6 worked wonders. Never failed. One of my sisters who had carpal tunnel syndrome quite severely also found it very effective when she took it faithfully. There are those who say you need to take a B-complex rather than any single B vitamin to avoid imbalances. You should be able to find more info, but that was my experience. Good luck!
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote