Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 07:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again....#497

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

We chat on Wednesday and Sunday at 8:30 EST, 7:30 CST.

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

WELCOME!
Old 03-02-2004, 09:19 AM   #2  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Hello ladies, alas after disappearing for four months I have returned. It's always nice to know tha there are also other women out there constantly on a "diet" and always renewing thier determination. I think when you get to the point where your health and daily life is compromised, it's more of a swift kick in the arse - because this time it's personal and it's not just about being able to fit into your size 12 jeans anymore.

Are any of you ladies on the South Beach Diet? Just curious because I just got the book a couple days ago an I've started the program (with a few of my own healthy modifications of course).
Old 03-02-2004, 10:25 AM   #3  
Michigan Old-Timer

Good morning, ladies!

I'm headed out in a bit for lunch with my SIL. I've never taken her on a lunch job so I thought I would ask her for today. I have a steakhouse to do about 45 minutes from home so it will be nice to have the company.

My other SIL is in the hospital with a blood clot. I think maybe I'll stop in and see her on the way home. She's got something goofy going on with her blood. She's been on iron supplements for a couple of months and was in the hospital about 3 weeks ago because they thought she was bleeding internally someplace. Her blood count was down to 7.5. They ran all kinds of tests and found nothing. They even ran a test for celiac disease and that came back negative too. They released her and then on Wednesday last week she complained about her foot hurting her and she took her shoe and sock off and her ankle was blown up like a balloon. So she went into the hospital and she's got this blood clot. I guess it started in her calf and is now up behind her knee. They say she'll be in until at least Thursday. Her blood count still isn't normal, it's only at 11. I hope they figure it out for her. Doesn't sound good at all. Then my BIL said that her mental state has been real goofy. I know from talking with her for several days a couple of weeks ago that that statement is very true. So not sure what's going on, but it's BIG.

Terri: Thanks for starting the new thread, but where's your post?

Jen: You do sound busy. But what do you expect trying to be a single parent? Geez, you're holding down the fort, trying to raise two kids, AND worry about your honey, besides all the every day normal stuff. Come here when you can. You know we enjoy hearing from you. [[[hugs]]]

Melissa: Glad to see you joining us again. Kat's doing South Beach. And I think Terri is too. I have a friend that is doing both South Beach AND WW. Her husband wanted to follow South Beach and her son wanted to do WW, so she cooks South Beach and counts the points and goes to the WW meetings with her son. She's doing pretty well that way.

Well girls, if I don't get my grocery report done from yesterday's job, I'll never get out to lunch so I'm going to run for now. See you all later. Love ya bunches!
Old 03-02-2004, 10:37 AM   #4  

thin sorry to hear about your sil. she will be in my prayers. hope they find out what is going on. hope everyone has a nice tues.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:19 PM   #5  
a work in progress...

Default Good morning all...well, it WAS morning when I started this!

Okay, this is big...I just came in from the gym. I took a step class this morning....I must have burned 3000 calories! Or so... Anyway, it feels like I did! I haven't been there in about two weeks. I've just got to say, BOY! It feels SO GOOD to move this big, fat body! I am one of those freaks who really enjoys exercising! UNFORTUNATELY...my inner demons sometimes get a hold of me...and tell me...pssssst! Don't go today, get some sleep instead! Go sit in front of the computer instead...Or better yet, GO HAVE A COOKIE...or TWELVE! And THEN...when I listen to them, I feel as though all the good I've done has gone out the window, so why go? I have definitely got some major mood swings. One good way to stabilize them is, get this, REGULAR EXERCISE!

Welcome back, Miss Meliss! I was doing South Beach, I guess I'm following a modified version...I find it very hard to restrict fruit... I'm just trying to eat well at this point. Building meals and snacks around fruits and vegs. No processed foods. Good protein at each meal. Whole grains only (limited) No white stuff: sugar, flour, rice, pasta. Lots of water. Daily exercise. As I go along, I'm finding that the more restrictions I place on myself, the more I balk...and when I eventually cheat...it's a major league binge! I did lose 9 lbs the first two weeks on the SBD though! ahem...but I've since gained most of them back...

Thin...I hope SIL is doing well. A blood clot is nothing to sneeze at. I'm sure she's on a blood thinner, (Heparin?) She may have had a small stroke or TIA, which could explain the "goofiness." Prayers for her recovery comin' atcha! BTW...I meant no offense by my AARP comments...I'm only three years away myself. well...three years and four months, but who's counting?

2cute...CHA-CHING!!!$$$$ Wow! Congrats on hubby's big winnings!! I've got three sweepstakes tickets here that I'm counting on winning...my sis and her hub won it last year to the tune of $37,000! They are going on an Alaskan cruise this summer.

I wanted to do more replies but my phone has not stopped ringing since I sat down...an hour ago. I have to shower and scamper off to school for teacher conferences at 1:30.

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 03-02-2004 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:18 PM   #6  
Hang In There

2cute Hubby has written down the name and number of that machine so we all can take our turns at it when we come visit, hasn't he?

ThinWe will keep your SIL in our prayers. My SIL and her husband are in really bad health, even though they are both younger that we are, and we are all they have in the way of family.

Let me see if I can remember what I wrote about Sunday night. Oh yeah, it was about the wedding we went to Sunday afternoon. It was my son's BIL and my son was an usher and my darling 6y/o grandson was the ring bearer. He was sooooo cute in his little tuxedo, but the only thing I couldn't get used to was they had his hair SPIKED My othe son was there too, and I said it was really neat to see all my men dressed up in suits and ties! The boys never dress up!

Well the combination of Thin, and going to Cracker Barrel for supper Sunday night inspired me! I had never gotten around to taking my Christmas Village down from the top of the china cabinet. so last night I got busy and took it all down, and replaced it with EASTER stuff!! Brought a whole different feel to the room

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 03-02-2004, 05:30 PM   #7  
working off those pounds

Hey girls -

As far as South beach goes, yes I have modified it a bit too. I also find it hard (and counterintuitive) to restrict the consumption of fruits. I know the first two weeks are meant to purge you of certain things, but I know I'll be sampling items from whole grain menus and so forth - like today was my first official day on S. Beach and by lunchtime I was so tired and run down (because of my low blood sugar...see your body THINKS that it is starving itself). So on the way home i made a compromise and got that low fat ice cream mcdonald's has..it's really good for a pick me up.

I was hesitant about South Beach at first because I thought it was going to restrict me of carbs completely..but after two weeks are up I should be fine, weaning them back into my diet.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:03 PM   #8  
Hang In There

Well, I switched from Atkins to SouthBeach and I though I'd died and gone to heaven because you could eat so much fruit after the first two weeks!! I guess it's just a matter of perspective. Anyway lots of luck with it.

Research Study Alert: They called me today and I go in tomorrow at 10:30 for my first injection!
Old 03-02-2004, 07:44 PM   #9  
You and Me in 2003

Hello friends
Food is terrible today. I ate a huge slice of carrot cake at lunch. I knew I didn't need it but I ate it anyway. What is wrong with me. I am sitting here at work dreaming of a big jucey hamburger knowing full well I don't need it.
I'll catch you all later.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good evening ladies!

And for the posting police, I did not have time to post this morning by the time I made an entry to my journal, an entry on the accountability thread, and started a new thread. :P

Today was a pretty good day. Food was a bit off but, but, but... one-third of a Lamar's huge donut did not throw me completely off track for the day. I didn't go back for more and I limited my lunch afterwards. What's a chick to do? I promoted one of my employees and one of my other employees brought in Lamar's today in celebration for her. We've got a pretty tight team. So I ate a small amount and enjoyed it with no guilt. Dinner will be light as well.

Here's my take on South Beach. The key to the eating plan (its not really a "diet") is to be aware of the high-sugar foods and limit them - and know the low-sugar foods and enjoy more of them. I am mixing in more fruits, but not as much as I used to, along with the occassional whole wheat triscuits or whole wheat pasta and have on rare occassion potatoes or regular bread. Love it, love it, love it.

I've started cleaning out the kitchen so it can be painted soon. I did a little and now I'm sitting down. I need to make a trip to the laundry and then I'm taking this thing off for awhile because its bugging me. I refer to it as "taking my leg off".

Guess what DH did tonight? He drove my Mazda today to have some mechanical work done on it. I have made it a habit to pull into the garage, put the driver window part-way down, and leave the keys in it. Call me paranoid. Tonight, he drove in, left the window up and left the keys on the dash. I walked by the put something in and it was locked - with the keys on the dash. We have no idea what happened to the spare key, if we ever had one. I came upstairs and said, guess I'll be driving the truck tomorrow. He swears that he didn't do it and why do I blame him? :duh: What a dufe. AAA just came and was into the car in less than 10 minutes. At least it paid for itself this year!

Okay, I could kick his a$$ now. He had been on the phone with a cousin of his who wouldn't quit talking - so he handed the phone to me and said talk to her. She's not MY cousin. I just lost a half-hour and my posting time.

Now I have to go get the wrinkled clothes out of the dryer.

Have a great evening!
Old 03-02-2004, 08:17 PM   #11  
Hang In There

Later update, I was kicked off this research study too! this time it was because of my Sjorgren Syndrome! Bummer
Old 03-02-2004, 09:24 PM   #12  
Changin' my ways :)

S/C/G: 338/298/180

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone

Short post here. I worked last night and had a show this afternoon, so I'm one wiped out chicky. We had fun and made a chocolate fondue (I honestly tried to steer them towards something healthier!), and I didn't touch a single bite of it. Of course, I was tired and nibbling on pretzels and graham crackers all the way home. Didn't do myself too much of a favor there. At least I counted them as I nibbled, so I can journal them now. Don't want to journal today... no real reason, I just don't want to do it!

Thin, prayers coming for you SIL. I hope they figure out what is going on really soon.

BarbG, I think I'm going to drive to Texas just to kick those research people in the heinie! What a way to jerk you around repeatedly. I know they have protocols and all, but sheesh!

Melissa, good to see you again. I haven't done South Beach, because I was too cheap to buy the book and already had one for Curves. They seem really similar. I was skeptical at first, especially about cutting out all the fruits for two weeks. For me it worked because it is a short term thing, and when you get them back they are such a treat and really fill that processed sugar gap. Does South Beach have a maintenance plan? I know the Curves one worked for me. I have NEVER gotten off a diet and not gained all the weight back swiftly.

Wow, words are starting to swim before my eyes. Guess my body is telling me it is sleep time now! Hope any of the replies made sense. They sound pretty good right now, but that is usually when I read them over again the next day and wonder what the heck I was thinking.

Andria
Old 03-02-2004, 10:42 PM   #13  
working off those pounds

Andria -

My mom and i Want to join Curves..is it like a program or just a gym where you come and go as you please? Is it like weight watchers with a weigh-in?

Mel
Old 03-03-2004, 12:10 AM   #14  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi all! I had a very nice lunch with my one SIL. We chatted for a couple of hours over a nice salad for lunch. Then I stopped and got a plant to take to my other SIL who is in the hospital. Apparently, her clot is dissolved. She was on Heprin for 5 days interveinously and will now be on Coumodin (sp?) for the rest of her life. I think that's pretty dangerous actually, but we'll see what happens. Her blood count is still low, only 11, but better than it was when she was in a few weeks ago. They are still giving her mega doses of iron.

Terri: The posting police forgive you! That's funny about hubby and the car. Who's fault did he think it was? He drove, he locked....HIS fault!!!

Audrey: Thanks for the prayers. I'm sure she can use them. She had developed a blood clot about 10 years ago after a fall. Now this time. They don't seem to know what caused it.

Andria: WooHoo, another show!!! Does that mean you're closer to being able to come in April??? * Thanks for the SIL prayers. I wish they would find out what CAUSED all this instead of just throwing cures at her, but so far no luck.

Katrina: Isn't the blood count number like measure the amount of blood cells that carry oxygen to the brain? I think SIL's goofiness was from her blood count being so low, which equates to a lack of oxygen. Or do I actually have NO idea what I'm talking about? I didn't take your AARP comment wrong, I'm just teasin' ya back.

Barbg: Thanks for the prayers for SIL. * I'm glad I was able to inspire you to take your Christmas down. But I was really hoping to inspire people to exercise! Sorry to hear about the research study again. A real roller coaster you've been on with them.

Melissa: I hope the South Beach works out for you. It sounds like a good plan. Whatever you choose, let's face it, we've got to make it something we can LIVE with. Otherwise, we'll just gain it back. Better to be able to stick with it. * Curves has a diet program/book. They also sell protein shake powder and vitamins (but so does Dr. Phil, WW, and all the rest). It's not like you HAVE to buy any of it. The Curves book is actually available at book stores and Sam's and Costco, etc. Like Andria said, the "diet" looks something like South Beach but as for the workout itself it depends on the size of the facility how many machines they have. The machines are not weight driven like most health clubs are, they're hydrolic. One of the advantages is that you don't have to reset the weights after the person before you is done. The downside (according to real 'gym rats') is that they are NOT weight driven so your fitness level will surpass what the Curves workout offers. I figure that will be a long time coming AND by increasing the intensity (reps) on each of the machines and doing an additional circuit, I should be able to have the Curves workout work for me for some time. They do encourage you to have a weigh in and measurements taken once a month. I don't know how it is in all of the clubs, but at mine you have to tell them that "today is the day". Andria also does Curves and she's had some great success with it so maybe she will write about it too. The clubs are pretty much come when you want, do your thing and leave. There are no frills like jacuzzis, saunas, running tracks or swimming pools. Just a quick simple workout that gets your blood pumping.

Mary: I think the key is to go ahead and have a LITTLE piece if that's what we have a hunger/craving for and not beat ourselves up about it so that it ruins the rest of the day. It was only ONE piece of cake, you can move past it and fix it. Start again tomorrow....and the day after that if you need to.

Well, girls, it's time to hit the hay. I'm meeting a friend for another lunch job tomorrow. This place has an awsome salad that I love. Unfortuneately they also have some wonderful potato cheese soup and biscuits that are to die for. Hopefully I can stay away from all of those trappings. Talk to you soon. Love to all.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:52 AM   #15  
Dancing those pounds away

Angry

Hi friends.
I have been here several times... posted and then deleted it.
I just didn't like anything I had to say. LOL

THEN... my computer broke down AGAIN. I could not get on all day yesterday. My husband finally put my old fashion mouse back on and took the new cordless mouse off and that seemed to be the problem. It was my second cordless mouse since Xmas. Grrrr.

Then my sister was here so I could not get online. She left this morning at 5am to catch her flight to Houston.

Thin.. my sisters blood count has gone as low as 3 or 4 and when she gets to 7 now she has to have blood tranfusions. So far she has had like 15 - 19 pints of blood transfusions. That is why they are considering surgery now ... they don't know what else to do for her. As far as I know... she was never "goofy" from her low count... only tired. She has remained working through most of it.... being a single mom never gave her much option of missing work.

Well... I went back to the doctor yesterday. I was given a second round of antibiotic. I knew I was still sick ... and even sicker of being sick.
I had an EKG and another chest xray... and she is setting me up for some ultra sound on my heart too. I now not only have an enlarged heart... I also have a heart murmur. I think both conditions are fairly normal... but I still don't like it.

One good thing is... I have lost 10 pounds in the last 12 days.
Of course the doctor never said anything positive about losing it ... only complained last week about me being so fat. But heck.. I am fat and she should complain. I am ruining my health.

Well.. I have been gone long enough that is feels overwhelming to try to catch up with all the post replys so I am not going to try.
HOPEFULLY I will get feeling better soon and I will want to post again.
Thin.. it will be one month on March 9th so I am holding on to the hope you got well in one month. You didn't whine as much as i have. LOL
This new batch of antibiotic had better take hold soon.
Closed Thread