Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 10:23 PM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again...#474

God Bless America!

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

We chat on Wednesday and Sunday at 8:30 EST, 7:30 CST.

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

WELCOME!
Old 01-15-2004, 11:28 PM   #2  
Dancing those pounds away

Okay... I am glad to see that the oldies are still alive and among us.
And I am glad to see we have another newcomer......
WELCOME gmalil/Joyce !!!! There are several grandmas here. And there are lots of younguns too to help us stay young. Glad to have you join our group.

PAM... {{{ HUGS }}} I don't know whether to tell you to get mad at yourself or to tell you to love yourself. I do know that if you hang in there.. your program will come back. But it won't come back without a concious effort. A deliberate step of action. Pick on action step. Be it walking... throwing out all off program foods... reading Dr.Phils book. It is just important that you take that first step. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Andria.. did I congratulate you on your new job?? I think I did .. but just in case... CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

Lucky... thank you for the update on Kat. I hope you told her how much we miss her.

Mary... Enjoy your seminar this weekend. Don't forget we want photos of that new outfit.

Paperdoll/PAT ... I enjoyed your tale of starting your car.
It sounded like something I would do. LOL

Barbg... Sorry about the lost post. I hate it when that happens. I have learned if I do the back arrow TWICE I sometimes still have my post. It is worth a try next time.

Did everyone hear about the lady who won $60million on the Powerball !!!!
I get soooo jealous !!!! I don't ever envy other people. I am a very appreciative person of what I have. When I was REALLY POOR and when not as poor ... I was always a person who appreciated whatever I had. BUT .. for some reason ... these lottery winners just break my heart that it is NOT ME. LOL
I would fly all of us to a great vacation location and pay for it all.
WHY CANT I WIN ???? !!!!!
Old 01-16-2004, 01:44 AM   #3  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hello everyone! Had a few minutes and thought I would try and catch up with everyone. We ended up with 8 inches of snow by me yesterday. It started at 6:00 in the morning and finally quit about 8:00 at night. The guys got home safely from work but their 40 minute drive was 3 hours last night!

My food has not been anything sensational this week. Just need a cattle prod, or something, to get this body and mind in gear again.

I've been trying to catch up with some old friends for the past couple of weeks and my lunch jobs have allowed me to invite a couple out to eat. Why is it that everything we do is around eatting? It's like geez! But where else but a restaurant or a coffee shop do you meet to talk with someone? I know we've had this discussion before, but....how do you celebrate a birthday? Dinner and cake and ice cream. How do you celebrate a wedding? With a reception with a big dinner and dessert. How do you celebrate a holiday? With a big dinner and lots of pie. I mean, where has mankind gone wrong zillions of years ago to have this all be common practice. Even when you see old pictures of cavemen, what do you see? A bunch of loin-clothed men, sitting around a fire, sharing a huge drumstick!!! It's ingrained in us from way back. Time to change our outcomes, girls. We've got to learn how to be social WITHOUT the food (and/or learn to make THE RIGHT CHOICES when we are out and about with food) and remember that these occasions are about friends and family, .

Ok, that wasn't very profound, but hey, it's 1:40 AM now and I'm adding this to the top of the post after I've been here since Midnight doing replies. *groan* That's what I get for putting it off this long.

I stayed in all day yesterday. I got some accomplished, but I'm convinced it will take me another month to finish putting all my Christmas away. I hate putting it away, pure and simple. But then I hate the process of putting it all up too. I like when it's done though.

All day yesterday my throat felt halfway decent. Now today I've been out and about and it hurts like crazy again. I just don't get it. I refuse to go to the Dr. He had one chance to fix it and that's it!!! *stomps foot* Now I guess I'll just suffer because all they're going to tell me is "it's a virus". Hate it, hate it, hate it. I'm tired of being sick! (and I'm PMSing to boot, can you tell yet? )

2Cute: "Why can't I win????" You have to buy a ticket first! "Quit the thread"??? What are you thinking! Get your butt back in here and let's get this operation under construction already. You and me, let's do it!!!!

Duckie: Hope you get a chance to come back real soon and share your vacation with us.

Mary: 7 Pounds down is awesome! You go girl! *Hope you have a great time at the banquet. * Hope your hubby is feeling better with his mouth. (oops, that didn't sound good ) But you know what I mean. * Are you still having trouble getting smilies to post? Let me know.

Ronda: Sure hope the counselling helps with your daughter. [[[hugs]]]

Jen: That was a great story about your hubby coming home. I liked that he found you boney! "Nobody around here knows it's my b-day." Well we're on top of that kind of stuff here, girlfriend! Hope you did something fun for your big day.

Sandy: "I sat here this am thinking 1 year ago I said I would be at least 50 lbs lighter, well guess that didn't happen." Don't worry about what "might have been". It's time to pull ourselves up and get on with what "will be". [[[hugs]]] * BTW, is it really -30 degrees up by you. OMG! * By "new smilies" did you mean the clowns? They were only brought on one day to celebrate one of the moderator's birthday (not mine).

Pat/paperdoll: Welcome to our humble little side of the boards. We're glad to have you join us. Don't feel as if you "should" do replies. You'll get a handle on it after awhile. I keep 3x5 cards on everyone to try and keep all the girls straight in my head. The mind is a terrible thing to waste, ya know??? Did I miss why you were typing one-handed? Or do you just enlist the "hunt and peck method"?

Michelle: That is really the pitts about your insurance, well moreso about the company and how they gave you no notice. I swear, insurance companies rule the world. Every bill that gets submitted, it seems like I have to call and follow-up on. That's just not right. Honey's insurance coverage when down, the deductible and his contribution both went up. It's awful.

Joanne/homebound: Sorry to hear of your holiday gain, but since a 7 pound gain is the nation's average, consider yourself doing well. You'll have it off in no time. Just pay attention. * Sorry to hear about your son moving out. Sounds like at least he's keeping in touch. Maybe moving out will help him grow up. It's too bad that obviously wherever he is is not charging him to live there or he'd have to go out and get a job.

BarbPA: Glad your dad is doing decent. He's going through alot and I'm sure that you being there with your folks is a real comfort. You all will continue to be in my prayers. [[[hugs]]]

Syn: Hope your WI (not Wisconsin) goes well this morning. Have you been back on track???

Terri: You are one lucky woman that your hubby cooks. Mine can, but does he??? NO, not even on the grill! * I liked your Dr. Philism "behave yourself out of the situation." That truly is the only way to make any headway, isn't it?

Barbg: Hope the closing on your building went well. You've sure been through the mill. Hope this works out well.

Andria: CONGRATS on the new job! That was quick and pretty painless. I wish all job searches could be that easy! * I saw what you said about the BMI. Did you know that they have a BMI calculator on the Discovery Channel Website? You just enter height and weight. I'm not sure how accurate that way is, but I did it anyway. * That is so awesome about your daughter reading. [[[hugs]]] It's all that love and care you put into her life! * #1 Son has taught himself QuikBooks. It's the program he uses to keep the books on his computer repair business. He says it's pretty easy so I know you'll have it down in no time.

Tina: 6 Pounds?!?! OMG, girl! You're doing GREAT!!! * Hope your car is back up and running so you don't have to run so much.

Susie: Glad you had a nice vacation. Also glad to hear your hubby is going to start on plan with you. That will really help.

Pam: STOP IT!!! There, is that better??? * I like the "act as if". That is profound. If we all did more 'acting as if' I think we'd all be alot closer to our goals.

Chequitagirl: Welcome to you too. We're always glad when newbies stop by and we're even more excited when they stick around and keep coming back. Tell us a little about yourself.

Joyce: Nice to meet you too. Like I've said to the others, keep on posting so we can get to know you. How soon before your hubby retires and you move. Is family in Idaho?

Lucky: Thanks for keeping us updated on Kat, but what about that party last Friday night. It must have been pretty good, cuz you're keeping pretty tight-lipped about it!

Well, girls, I think I'm caught up. If I missed you, I'm soooo sorry, but my brain is mush about now. I think I'll go up and grab some Nyquil and hit the hay. Hope you all have a great day. Love ya bunches!

Ok, I came back (dedicated or stupid, I'm not sure which ) But I have to ask where are the following people??? (in no particular order)
Steph, Joe Anne, Judy and we know where Kat is. Girls, we miss you. Get back in here and at least let us know you're ok.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:04 AM   #4  

Morning ladies!

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes. My kids found out it was my birthday when they got home cuz I had a few birthday cards in the mail from friends back home. My 4 year old wanted to know where were the balloons and party hats LOL. They talked me into making a birthday cake. I immediately cut the cake in half and gave half to a neighbor. Then we each had a piece. I didn't get to eat much before it made me sick. Then last night there was still a piece of leftover cake and I was picking at it and picking at it until I finally just had to throw it away. Then I had to go to the fridge and throw away the left over frosting cuz I knew my fingers we be in it next. The old habits die hard don't they? That's one thing the surgery can't fix is my mental fixation on food.

Speaking of which, I'm am really struggling. I just can't seem to get back on the wagon here. Let's face it. I hate meat, cheese and eggs and I LOVE pasta and bread. I know I'm eating to many carbs, which is making me hungrier, which is making me graze on more carbs. I'm eating more than I think I should be able to. I'm only 6 months out from surgery, and not only have I stopped losing already, I've gained a couple of pounds. I am scared to death. I can't fathom the idea of having gone through the pain and expense of this surgery to change my life just to fail 6 months out. It all comes down to will power in the end, no matter what. So here's what I'm going to do, or try to make myself do anyway. I've read on a WLS web site that you can "reset" your pouch by going back to liquids for a while to allow the pouch to shrink and to shut off the appetite. I'm going to have nothing but the liquid protien, water, and my vitamins for at least a few days. Then, as I add food back to my diet, I'm also going to add in exercise. So that's the plan anyway. Wish me luck. This is going to be soooo hard. Just goes to show that there really is no quick fix and no "cure" for obesity.

I think I'll probably be back quite a bit to keep myself out of the kitchen, so I might even actually get around to individual replies for a change LOL.

I'll talk at ya all later,
Jen
Old 01-16-2004, 05:30 AM   #5  
Dancing those pounds away

Angry

Good morning ladies. Procrastination is a POWERFUL force. I have been procrasitinating on several things as of late (been depressed) and tonight I made the DECISION to get it done !!!! Why tonight you ask ???? Because I have to make FINAL DECISIONS today!!!! I have to make final decisions about the wedding, the reception, and a Fling I am planning.

Then you add in that I want the best prices... so I stayed on the computer printing out the cheapest prices so I have some bargaining leverage.

PLUS... I had to find all the paperwork I already had ... but who knows where ???
Well.. I found it all... but it took me all night. I have not been to bed yet.
And I have to leave early in the morning to go sign contracts and such.
Anyway... enough about me....

JEN... You will get back on track. Do not fear ... (my heart goes out to you) you WILL get it all back together. GET ALL JUNK FOOD OUT OF THE HOUSE. Like Dr. Phil says.. if it is not there... you can't eat it. You did great giving away half the cake.. and you did finally throw away what was left. PAT YOURSELF ON THE BACK !!! Jump for JOY !!! As they say... it is all in the way you look at it...

Is you cup half empty : or is your cup half full ???
ATTITUDE !!!! The Attitude of Gratitude !!! Be grateful for throwing it away.. be grateful for giving it away. Be grateful for the opportunity to return back to your healthy eating again. And if you don't "feel" it yet .. then "act as if
until you do.

Thin... All of the above goes for YOU AND ME too.
AS far as winning the lottery... we don't even have them in my home state.
I used to buy them when I went to Missouri to visit my parents. I haven't been back since the funeral. Oh wait.. yes I did go back to decorate their graves for Christmas... I almost forgot. But .. I did forget to buy a lottery ticket. Grrr I want to WIN !!! LOL
Okay.. going to TRY to catch a few zzzzzz before I head out today. Bye

Last edited by 2cute2Bfat; 01-16-2004 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:44 AM   #6  

Whew! That was a close one! I am litterally waging war with myself here!

I had my protein drink this morning, and after about an hour, I found myself wanting to eat so I went back to bed for an hour and a half. I just got back up and found myself in the kitchen boiling water to make noodles. I sat there and had an actual verbal argument with myself about making the noodles!! It was like two different people talking! I went and stepped on the scale, came back into the kitchen, turned off the stove, and made another protein drink. So here I sit not eating. I just wanted to pop in here instead of going to the kitchen. As soon as I'm done, I have to shower and go do some volunteer stuff at my daughter's school so that'll keep me out of the kitchen for a while.
This truly is all in my head. I've got to defeat it.

Thanks for the pep talk 2Cute. It was like finding a "sign" when I needed it.

Talk at ya later,
Jen
Old 01-16-2004, 07:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning ladies,

I'm sitting here on the bed trying to work up some enthusiasm for going to work. Getting dressed would be a good start.

I had a good meeting with my boss yesterday (she is truly the female version of Dr. Jeckell/Mr. Hyde). She dumped a bunch of work and responsibility on me so that probably explains why she was being nice. It really is a stressful situation because she treats some of my peers very badly and they hate her. Usually one of us wears the halo while the others are crap on her shoes. The halo gets passed around when she needs something from us. The men can't handle it while I do my best to shrug it off and hang on to the belief that I cannot control her behavior; only my reaction. But the guys like to talk about it and what a B she is. However, they don't get it that the more they act like she's gotten to them, the more she does it to them. Sometimes, it makes for a long day.

I confess, no exercise this morning. But I did great yesterday. I've had the best two weeks that I've had in a long time and the scale isn't moving. Its really hard to accept that you work so damn hard and TOM kicks you in the face. I'll be patient and keep working but I sure would like to see some affirmation of my work. Enough whining!

Get up! Get up and shake your napkin! Get up! Get up! That's a little song we sang in the Italian restaurant in NYC with 60+ people singing at the top of their lungs. Occassionally, that gets stuck in my head. Its hard to feel down and out when that's going through your head.

Have a great Friday!
Old 01-16-2004, 08:03 AM   #8  
You and Me in 2003

Just a quick post before I head off to work for a few hours the on to the Board dinner and Seminar. I'll catch all of you tomorrow night.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:30 AM   #9  
a work in progress...

Default I'm back...did you miss me?

Wow...I missed all of you! Our computer had been ravaged by some virus or weird system that took over and gobbled everything up...no internet connection!!! Talk about withdrawl! I missed you all and wondered everyday how you were all doing. I must say, I'm much better at sticking to my diet and remaining motivated when I'm in touch here. I was planning on going to the library to get my 3fc "fix" but then I got sick...I've been home all week with laryngitis and a terrible cold. Much better now...still not much of a voice, but I feel good. I haven't been able to see Dad because of the cold, but he's home and doing well. He's still very weak and SO frail...but his spirit is good. My mom has been a rock. I need to get down there and give her a break...maybe just some time to herself, shopping or whatever. She won't take it though. Stubborn. A family trait.

HEY!! It's FREEZING here! Who sent this bogus, frigid weather??? Was it you, Lucky? It's like 2 degrees this morning. I just heard dh tell my son there's no school today...WHAT IS UP WITH THAT? Is it too cold or something? Back in my day they did not cancel school on account of extreme cold. School was cancelled yesterday because of the snow...do you suppose they said, "what the heck, they're off Monday anyway, why come in for one day?" Oh...apparently a pipe burst or something. ahh, what do I care? Now I can go to sleep. Well, after I'm done here.

I tried to skim over the past 4 threads before I posted, but I barely got through 470 and had to pop in. I'm going back to read now. See you all later.

Old 01-16-2004, 09:43 AM   #10  

Pat: I am directly south of you. I am about 30 miles from the South Dakota border where Minnesota does that hump thing!!!
Old 01-16-2004, 10:24 AM   #11  

well thinthinker as of nov. 22, 2003 i found out i have type 2 diabetes and weigh 356lbs. if went home and cried all day and then decided to do something about it. i mean it is nobody's fault except my own. i knew my weight was at its highest but until it started affecting my health and i saw it on the scales i was just a happy go lucky fat chick. i mean my husband is gorgeous and loves me, so what if i was fat. that night i decided that it was time for a change and as of jan. 8, 2004 i have lost 22lbs. my whole life has changed. i have 3 daughters, 2 of whom are still at home and overweight. i didn't want them to have to go through what i have so i did some house cleaning or i should say some kitchen cleaning. little debbie doesn't live at our house anymore. my 15 yr old, brittnie, said the other day that everything in our kitchen was either fat free or sugar free, but she can't complain, because of this her pants are falling off, and she is losing lbs. left and right and she isn't necessarily cutting back she is just changing what she eats. most of my friends don't have weight problems so i really was excited about finding this site. all the stories are so inspiring. my daughters keep one of our computers tied up at night and mine is on the fritz so the only time i get online is mainly during the day at work, but mine will be repaired soon and then i'll be on some at night, not quite as late as some of you chicks. i'm a little boring and go to bed fairly early, but i check as early in the morning as i can. hope i haven't bored you to tears. more late.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:05 AM   #12  
Michigan Old-Timer

Morning, ladies! I'm here doing reports from the jobs that I did yesterday. Ya know, if it wasn't for the reports, I might actually like the job! I'm just teasing. I really do love my job. Where else can you work and eat and see movies for free. Do half of your Christmas shopping for free, etc. I couldn't find anything MORE flexible and certainly not without a boss hounding you all the time. Some of you in employment **** might understand.

Not much new in my life since I talked with you last. I finally hit the mattress at about 3:00 AM. I was back up at 8:45 this morning. I'm sitting here with color on my hair for the last hour and a half. I'm guessing that maybe one day all of my hair will fall out from the way I treat it.

Katrina: So good to see you back, honey. Yes, we surely did miss you! Computer problems are just the pitts. So is the laryngitis for that matter. My voice still isn't back to normal and if I don't ditch this sore throat soon, I'm gonna scream!

Chequitagirl: My doctor put me on glucophage last February because I was boarderline with sugar. It seems to keep the numbers within normal and bad me, I haven't changed any of my eatting habits. If I did, I probably wouldn't have to take the medication at all. * Sounds like your daughter is reaping some great benefits from your new healthy way. That's great. My guys do well when they eat like I do too, well, when I'm eatting like I should, I should say. I have two sons, 22 and 24. They both still live at home (it's cheaper and mom cooks and does the laundry, ya know? )

Lucky: There ya go, not mentioning that party again.

Mary: Have fun at the dinner.

Terri: I think I was referring to you when I mentioned 'employment ****'. Geez, your boss sounds like a real tyrant.

Jen: Oh honey, my heart goes out to you. I guess it does prove that no matter what method you choose, weighloss efforts are a B!^(H. No matter what, it's what goes in that is the bottom line. Come here often and we'll try and hold your hand through this. I've found that it's hard to type and eat too, so keep on typing. [[[hugs]]]

2cute: You sound too busy! My goodness, time for some "me time" for you too, honey. Snap out of your funk and do something good for yourself.

Well, girls, I think I'll go rinse this color out of my hair before my hair falls out. Do you guys remember that I Love Lucy episode where (dang, I don't remember if Lucy was getting the perm or she was giving one, but anyway) someone was getting a perm and the hair was falling out, rollers and all? I have nightmares about that when I leave the color on this long. See you all later. Have a great day!!!
Old 01-16-2004, 12:40 PM   #13  
Inchworm

Talking Thanks For The Warm Welcome!

Just had my first WI.....I'm down an even 5 pounds!! {Of course I could paper a small wall with all my 5 pound bookmarks that I have recieved thru the years}, I plan for this to be the last !!! Only better awards from here on !!

DH retires in 5 weeks, then we start the process of finding our new place and selling this one, hope to have it on the market by April 1 Lots to do!

Just a brief bio...I'm a retired teacher for Special Ed adults, raised my 4 kids and 3 granddaughters, 2 of them are now in the USAF! I'm an avid doll collector, have over 2000, am going to attempt to sell half of them in the next cupla months. enjoy all kinds of crafts. I'll do the bio page later, I'm going to go treat myself to a pedicure!! get these feet ready for some serious walking!
This is such an active supportive group, I am anxious to get to know all of you better real soon!
Old 01-16-2004, 12:45 PM   #14  

cograts gmalil 5lbs is a great new start. you deserve a pedicure.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:47 PM   #15  

hi hope everyone is having a sunny day we are but it is cold thin- your post on food was right on! i type one handed due ro a tremor in my right hand, i will tell more later. jen- you can do it!!one day at a time. gmalil- congrats 5 lbs. is WONDERFUL. LUCKY LADY BOG I AM 18 MILES FROM F.F. YOU MUST BE CLOSE TO THE CASINO ONE OF MY FAVORITE PLACES. PAT
Closed Thread