Old 06-17-2016, 03:35 AM   #1  
Determind Member

S/C/G: 323/313/168

Height: 5ft 6"

Default Making your own clothes

Hello Ladies

I was wondering if any of you have experience in making your own clothes? I ask this because I find that while plus size clothing has over the past few years became increasingly popular, here in the UK I still struggle to buy clothes that are.... Dare I say it.... Fashionable!

There are many plus size stores and websites out there, however as a 27 year old fashionista, my search is limited. I often struggle to find a nice dress to wear on a night out or most recently to take on holiday. Most of these issues come from my not so popular body shape. I have large boobs, a belly, but with no butt what so ever. This makes me a bit square, which means that the skater type dress is my only saviour to creating a shape more to my liking.

I then thought about maybe buying material and making my own skater dresses.

Has anyone tried this? Or anyone need to make their own clothes just to look half decent?
Scotsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #2  

I used to make skirts when I was in high school, just so I could get skirts that fit. Skirts aren't such an issue any more, but I am tempted to try to copy a few items I have that I like especially in terms of fit and wish I could have in other colors. Do you have any sewing experience? I wouldn't think a skater dress would be too hard, especially if you just went sleeveless.
Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:39 AM   #3  
Determind Member

Ohh that sounds cool! I started doing a sewing a tech styles course at college when I was younger, but 3 months in I left. I still remember much of the basics. I am looking to make a few for my holiday to Portugal in 5 weeks. Just strapless ones. But in colours that I would like, a lot of the fashion styles just now don't suit me.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 387/361/155

Height: 5'2

I sew, but I've never really been into garments. I'm more of a baby blanket, curtains, throw pillow type....so I don't have much to add.

The last time I actively tried to slim down, I got really good at altering my existing clothing to last through a few more sizes though. When I get substantially closer to goal, I have a couple of absolutely gorgeous batik quilting fabrics that are being appropriated for skirts though.
Swinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:11 AM   #5  
Determind Member

Oh that is very cool, my mum and gran are crafty like that, they can knit and make cute baby things. Sadly I did not inherit those abilities. I can make some wicked friendship bracelets lol but nothing else. So I'm trying this dress making. I had to take in some vest tops from a few summers ago, I weigh more than I did then, yet I'm thinner lol
Old 06-20-2016, 04:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 331/191/170

Height: 5'10

I have thought about it - tried making my own dance costumes - made a medieval dress for my girls - my husband made mine .... I am terrible at sewing I keep thinking I should work on that as clothes for plus size are all pretty shapeless or few and far between that look nice. not sure what a skater dress looks like - I have an hourglass figure (ok so its a 3 hour glass as in 3times larger then it should be) so I don't want to be wearing the blah clothes that are available here either and maybe I should learn to sew

good luck with your clothes making!
Karencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:15 PM   #7  
Determind Member

Skater dresses come in at the waist and then kick out into an a-line skirt. They are very popular for summer dresses. However as a square with random measurements, the kick out skirt makes my waist look smaller, especially when I add a thick stretchy belt.

Maybe once I make some I will share them with you girls
Old 07-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #8  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

I'm still learning how to sew different things, I started making a quilt but I havent finished it yet but now I'm working on making a Zebra Print apron. I cant wait to see your skirt when you get it done.
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 387/361/155

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra1984 View Post
I'm still learning how to sew different things, I started making a quilt but I havent finished it yet but now I'm working on making a Zebra Print apron. I cant wait to see your skirt when you get it done.
Welcome to the world of UFOs (unfinished objects). Do yourself a huge favor and finish your projects...because I don't follow my own advice and have more partially completed things than I've ever finished.
Swinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:51 AM   #10  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Swinella - Thanks for the tip
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote