Old 05-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #1  
On Medifast 5 & 1 Plan

S/C/G: 365/284.2/200

Height: 5'9

Default Starting over...again

Hello everyone. Last week I did something that I have not done in months, got on a scale. It read 364.3 lbs. As I stood on that scale, staring in disbelief at my weight being the highest it has ever been in my entire life, I just felt hopeless. I wanted to fold into myself and disappear. In that moment, I felt like giving up but I know that I am not a quitter and I refuse to play the victim. I can't deny that I feel lost, ashamed, and angry that I have let this happen. But, I don't want to throw a pity party so I'm back on 3FC, hoping and praying for guidance, support, self-awareness, and the courage to face this weight problem head on.

I want to understand why I can be so "successful" in other areas of my life, but fail myself in this one area. I'm sure may of you can relate to what I'm feeling, and I just want to know why I can't get it through my brain that I should be putting my health above all else. I put education, work, and success above maintaining a healthy lifestyle and I wish I hadn't. I hope that by reactivating my participation in these forums I can gain some insight into how to get my mind into a healthy mindset. No more excuses, no more waiting until tomorrow, no more quick fixes.

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to getting to know everyone on the forum better.
SweetEpiphany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:23 PM   #2  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Hi! I too am starting over (again).

Definitely, there's no reason to be ashamed. Among other things, it turns out that our metabolism really does slow down after we lose weight, and even worse, it looks like (maybe) it could be a very long-term effect. Have you seen this study that appeared this week in the journal Obesity, following folks from The Biggest Loser over 6 years? 6 years later, their metabolisms were STILL slower than before they lost the weight on the show. (You can read about it here http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/he...loss.html?_r=0 or the original article here http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...21538/abstract .)

So one point is, there's no reason to be ashamed. We're fighting our bodies themselves as much as anything else--the body really DOES want to hang on to this weight. But we don't want to get hopeless!

So as I start over this time, I've done some reading and made a list of things that are good for your metabolism and actually have research behind them. In addition to what I know worked for me last time I lost weight, I want to incorporate as many of these activities as possible into my routine. Here's my list, if you're interested:

- Weight training to build muscle
- Incorporate interval training into cardio
- Stay hydrated, and drink beverages with ice (not room temp)
- Eat spicy food as often as possible
- Drink green or white tea daily, preferably several cups
- Increase intake of fiber
- Eat organic produce when possible; when not wash/peel as well as possible (pesticide exposure has been linked to slowed metabolism)
- Eat some protein (could be plant-based) at every meal
- Get more calcium/dairy
- Get enough sleep

Let's go! We can do this!

Last edited by Vortex_VVV; 05-07-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Vortex_VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 125kg/108kg/90kg

Height: 158cm

Welcome back! You have definitely come to the right place! Thankyou for sharing your story, we have all been where you are at some point in our lives! Well done for acknowledging the fact you aren't happy and that you are taking steps to rectify the situation. Keep us posted!
caldawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:21 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 175/174/155

Height: 5'6"

SweetEpiphany
Thanks for sharing your story and welcome back.I am really struggling to hit any goal at this point and stick to it.I am a closet sugar binger if that were a disease I would have it,lol.May God Bless your journey.
merowi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:03 AM   #5  
On Medifast 5 & 1 Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex_VVV View Post
Hi! I too am starting over (again).

Definitely, there's no reason to be ashamed. Among other things, it turns out that our metabolism really does slow down after we lose weight, and even worse, it looks like (maybe) it could be a very long-term effect. Have you seen this study that appeared this week in the journal Obesity, following folks from The Biggest Loser over 6 years? 6 years later, their metabolisms were STILL slower than before they lost the weight on the show. (You can read about it here http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/he...loss.html?_r=0 or the original article here http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...21538/abstract .)

So one point is, there's no reason to be ashamed. We're fighting our bodies themselves as much as anything else--the body really DOES want to hang on to this weight. But we don't want to get hopeless!

So as I start over this time, I've done some reading and made a list of things that are good for your metabolism and actually have research behind them. In addition to what I know worked for me last time I lost weight, I want to incorporate as many of these activities as possible into my routine. Here's my list, if you're interested:

- Weight training to build muscle
- Incorporate interval training into cardio
- Stay hydrated, and drink beverages with ice (not room temp)
- Eat spicy food as often as possible
- Drink green or white tea daily, preferably several cups
- Increase intake of fiber
- Eat organic produce when possible; when not wash/peel as well as possible (pesticide exposure has been linked to slowed metabolism)
- Eat some protein (could be plant-based) at every meal
- Get more calcium/dairy
- Get enough sleep

Let's go! We can do this!
Thanks so much for this helpful information!
Old 05-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetEpiphany View Post
Hello everyone. Last week I did something that I have not done in months, got on a scale. It read 364.3 lbs. As I stood on that scale, staring in disbelief at my weight being the highest it has ever been in my entire life, I just felt hopeless. I wanted to fold into myself and disappear. In that moment, I felt like giving up but I know that I am not a quitter and I refuse to play the victim. I can't deny that I feel lost, ashamed, and angry that I have let this happen. But, I don't want to throw a pity party so I'm back on 3FC, hoping and praying for guidance, support, self-awareness, and the courage to face this weight problem head on.

I want to understand why I can be so "successful" in other areas of my life, but fail myself in this one area. I'm sure may of you can relate to what I'm feeling, and I just want to know why I can't get it through my brain that I should be putting my health above all else. I put education, work, and success above maintaining a healthy lifestyle and I wish I hadn't. I hope that by reactivating my participation in these forums I can gain some insight into how to get my mind into a healthy mindset. No more excuses, no more waiting until tomorrow, no more quick fixes.

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to getting to know everyone on the forum better.

Hi SweetEpiphany, So happy you are here. You can do this! Every day is a new day with endless opportunity. I would encourage you to practice "environmental control" - which means setting up your environment for success. Clear out any foods you have that you know you tend to overeat or are too tempting, and fill up your cabinets with fresh fruit, vegetables, soups, and other high-volume, low calorie foods. I like to prep meals aheah of time with lean proteins and veggies, and put them in tupperware containers so I know I am having one portion. If exercise is overwhelming for you, break it into really small chunks like 5 or 10-minute walks multiple times per day. Good luck!!
healthylivingalways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 390/390/199

Height: 5'8

Welcome back! I also just found myself at my highest weight ever at 374 lbs! I'm struggling with feeling helpless, but I know that I can do anything that I put my mind too! And, I know that you can too! Let's do it together!
workinghardatlosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:53 PM   #8  
On Medifast 5 & 1 Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by workinghardatlosing View Post
Welcome back! I also just found myself at my highest weight ever at 374 lbs! I'm struggling with feeling helpless, but I know that I can do anything that I put my mind too! And, I know that you can too! Let's do it together!
Yes, let's do this together. Our stats are pretty close. I'm 5'9, you're 5'8 and were around the same weight. I'm open to being weight loss buddies if you are. We can do this!
Old 08-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #9  
On Medifast 5 & 1 Plan

I started this thread 3 months ago. I'm so happy that I did not give up on myself. I started at 364.3 lbs and now I'm a little over 328 lbs. That's a loss of 36 lbs. I still can't believe it, but I did it. I didn't let my feelings of shame take over. I took action, small steps at first and then bigger ones. I have such a long road ahead of me, but I'm taking it one day at a time, one meal at a time and I'm seeing results.

So, if you are feeling like you can't do this, just know that you can. I have never been able to stay on a plan long enough to lose this much weight. In the past, I'd lose around 20 lbs or so and end up sabotaging myself. Then I'd quit and end up gaining more than I lost. This cycle got me to over 350 lbs. Even on this journey, I've had those feelings of wanting to sabotage my progress, but I did not give in.

I'm coming close to losing 40 lbs and it feels surreal. If losing only 10% of my body weight can feel this good, I can't imagine how I'll feel when I get down to my goal. It's gonna be amazing! Stay the course and you will be rewarded.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:59 PM   #10  
Began WW OPP 7/19/16

S/C/G: 284.6/266.4/195

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
I started this thread 3 months ago. I'm so happy that I did not give up on myself. I started at 364.3 lbs and now I'm a little over 328 lbs. That's a loss of 36 lbs. I still can't believe it, but I did it. I didn't let my feelings of shame take over. I took action, small steps at first and then bigger ones. I have such a long road ahead of me, but I'm taking it one day at a time, one meal at a time and I'm seeing results.

So, if you are feeling like you can't do this, just know that you can. I have never been able to stay on a plan long enough to lose this much weight. In the past, I'd lose around 20 lbs or so and end up sabotaging myself. Then I'd quit and end up gaining more than I lost. This cycle got me to over 350 lbs. Even on this journey, I've had those feelings of wanting to sabotage my progress, but I did not give in.

I'm coming close to losing 40 lbs and it feels surreal. If losing only 10% of my body weight can feel this good, I can't imagine how I'll feel when I get down to my goal. It's gonna be amazing! Stay the course and you will be rewarded.
You're doing AWESOME!!! Keep it up!!
EMERALDberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 337.7/336.8/269

Height: 5'6

Quote:

You're so beautiful, and I'm so proud of you and happy for you, you're doing terrific , very motivational post!
Candidcamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:50 PM   #12  

Great job, SweetEpiphany!
Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:15 PM   #13  
starting over again

S/C/G: 361/334/180

Height: 5'5"

Goodness, I am glad I am not the only one who is starting over after losing and then gaining it back plus - it makes me feel inspired to really buckle down and try. Plus everyone's picture's are so pretty and positive, maybe I can work up the nerve to take some pictures soon.
lostbutstilltrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:37 PM   #14  

Yeah, get it girl!!! I love that I'm reading this post 3 months after it was started and Inam able to see the great success you have achieved. Congratulations on your your 40lb+ weight loss! That's incredible. You are right about how great it feels to get the weight off. I had so much mobility losing the first 10% of my body weight. I was able to do so much more and it kept me going in the long haul. The hard work is worth it, and you can definitely do this. Keep it up! I'm cheering for you.
2fat2jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:15 AM   #15  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Congrats!!!!!! to the OP and everyone else who has replied to this thread
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starting over